CBS Greenlights Futuristic Thriller Extant

logo-cbs-300Stop us if you’ve heard this one: CBS has issued a straight-to-series order for a serialized sci-fi-esque drama set to debut in the summer.

In a bid to strike Under the Dome-style gold once more, the Eye Network has skipped the pilot process and ordered 13 episodes of Extanta futuristic thriller about a female astronaut trying to reconnect with her family after a year in outer space.

RELATED | CBS Fall Schedule Revealed

According to the network’s official announcement on Wednesday, the protagonist’s experiences “lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history.”

The series will be produced by Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and CBS Television Studios, which also produce the wildly popular Dome.

Extant is scheduled to bow in summer 2014, coinciding with Dome‘s recently ordered second season.

1. sccates says:

Sounds good — at least not like some of CBS other formulaic crime shows.

2. David S says:

The premise of this wasn’t particularly strong to begin with. The term “unsustainable” comes to mind. You might get one good season out of it, if that. And if it’s anything like Under the Dome in terms of quality…it’s looking to be a solid skip for me. Definitely should have filmed a pilot first.

• Ann says:

The only reason it’s getting greenlit without a pilot is because Steven Spielberg’s name is attached to it. His tv shows, as well as his movies, have been high on concept (Smash, Under the Dome, and just about every movie after E.T. minus Schindler’s List) but poor in execution.

• David S says:

Falling Skies and Smash being the biggest offenders. I honestly don’t know how Falling Skies has lasted this long – it is a wasted concept in terms of execution. I fear Extant will be the same. The other big question is – what audience is this going to be marketed towards? The same one that tuned into No Ordinary Family? There are just so many factors that seem to have been over looked in the rush to grab this pilot. Great for the writer for the sale, it’s a tough game – but everything about this seems rushed.

• Kathy says:

I beg to differ. I will admit the first season of Falling Skies wasn’t the strongest, but S2 and S3 have each gotten better with visuals and especially with storyline (though character development could be better also). I very much enjoyed Season 3 and look forward to Season 4.

• David S says:

Eh, to each his own then. Season 2 did absolutely nothing for me. Characters would die and I’d actually be indifferent because there was no emotional connection. The internal logic and storytelling just feel mechanical to me. (not meant to sound argumentative just explaining why I personally don’t like it).

But with this pilot, I’m more concerned that the cart was put before the horse. There’s nothing inherently continuous about it – it seems like a film idea that was retooled for television.

• Elf says:

Except, of course, for Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brian and Freakazoid.

3. amycorvus says:

Reblogged this on Neon Disease.

4. Ram510 says:

Looks like they are going to pair this with Under the Dome? Sounds like a good pair. I’m happy it isn’t another boring procedural

5. nabocane says:

There must be a lot more to it than that, because the premise sounds weak as released. And why do people have to knock other successful dramas to be able to praise something? It’s small-minded.

• David S says:

From what I’ve heard: “an astronaut returns to earth after a year in space, mysteriously pregnant with an alien baby, while trying to reconnect with her husband and their son – who is an android/synthetic.” Deadline covered that it was part of a bidding war, but nothing about the concept screams “long term, must-see TV.” SciFi family drama…

6. Kim (@AD76) says:

Premise sounds boring and not fleshed out enough to me. Also, I currently don’t have CBS and don’t know when I’ll get it back.

7. movie news says:

Practical facts. Privileged me personally I uncovered your website inadvertently, with this particular taken aback the key reason why this coincidence decided not to was held ahead of time! My spouse and i saved as a favorite them.