Dexter EP Prepares for Polarizing Fan Reaction to Series Finale, Maintains, 'It Feels Right to Us'

Dexter Last Season FinaleIt’s nearly impossible to please everyone with a series ender these days. But the folks behind Dexter (which wraps its eight-season run on Sunday, Sept. 22) are feeling confident about that prospect, while nevertheless preparing for the worst.

“This has been the ending that we [the executive producers] have talked about for years now,” the Showtime saga’s EP Sara Colleton shares with TVLine. “So to us, it feels right for our show and how we feel about it.”

VIDEO | Dexter Season 8 Spoilers: Deb Reacts to Hannah’s Return

While the brains behind the Dark Passenger “hope fans will think it’s right,” too, Colleton notes, “At the end of the day, we know that you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.

“There will be people who hate it,” she admits, “but we can’t try to anticipate that or put it through the lens of any other show’s finale — because that was another show. This is our show. This is Dexter.”

RELATED | Dexter Season 8 Series Finale — Deb and Dex Reunited?

Love it or… what Colleton said above, the producer and her team stand behind their yet-to-be-seen finale decisions. “At the end of the day, we would rather go down with what we feel is right than try to figure out how to make everybody happy,” she explained. “We feel that we’ve pulled off what we wanted, and that is what we needed to feel.”

Do Colleton’s comments give you confidence or cause some concern going into Dexter‘s final days? Sound off below!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Finales, Interviews, Scoop

1. binro says:

Dexter married Hanna after offing zach. Deb hits her head and gets amnesia. The end.

2. Lisa says:

I think Zach will become the new Dexter and Dex himself will be able to let go of his dark passenger and live a normal life after having to do something to risk his own life saving those he loves. OR…

He and Deb start working together since she seems to be becoming more comfortable with killing.

3. Jason says:

So much for all the Zach theories.

4. Joey D says:

I think Dr Vogul is in fact the brain surgeon. The way she looked at all these “killers” at her dinner table on the last episode was herself preparing to feast. I think Vogul killed Zach and that was her “appetizer” so to speak. Next would be her killing Hannah before her main course, Dexter. Deb figures it out and kills Vogul and spends the last few minutes with Dexter as he is bleeding out on the table. Deb will take care of Harrison and will destroy all the evidence against Dexter that Vogul had. Deb is back at Miami metro now as a detective. If anything, she will become like Dexter for your spin off. But I doubt there will be a spin off from Dexter. Like Dexters victims, there will be no trace of this show in a future spin off.

5. Marc says:

Here’s another idea. Deb is kidnapped by the Brain Surgeon, and is used to lure Dexter out onto a boat. After a struggle he is hurt, defeats the Brain Surgeon, but goes over the side. We see him sinking as he monologues about this is the best for Deb & Harrison. We see Deb raising Harrison and everyone else. Final shot, Hannah gets a “greetings from Miami” postcard (nod to lyla). Dex grabs her, but not to kill. He happy w/Hannah, but has to give up Deb & Harrison.

6. Steve says:

With only 3 new shows to go, Dexter is going to die. After all the writers and producers have stated they are not afraid to alienate the shows fans. I would say if put to a vote the major of fans want him to not only get away but more important live. I don’t see anyway he will defeat both Dr. Vogel and her son. They have been one to two steps ahead of him this season

7. Steve says:

How better to polarize all of Dexters fans than to have him die. Come on ppl if it was voted on would that be your choice? Not mine. With 3 episodes left I think Dex has met his match with Dr. Vogul and son. Just would be really upset if he gets caught and goes to jail

8. Brett says:

I think that the last few eps will have lots of death. I think there will be a battle between Vogel/Daniel and Dexter/Hannah. Daniel kills Hannah, Dexter tries to kill Daniel, but kills Vogel instead, while Dex is holding Vogel, Daniel drugs and captures Dexter. Puts Dex in a kill room and then as he is about to kill Dex with Dexter’s own big knife, Deb – wearing her shiny detective’s badge on her belt – walks in and shoots Daniel. Quinn and Batista then walk in and “save” Dexter from the table. Dexter is finally the saved victim. Last few minutes are Morgan family time with a Dexter monologue about how life can work out…and then the final shot focusing on Harrison’s eyes going evil…

9. Christine says:

This last post started out good but Harrison evil? Nah. Too cliche. I would personally like to see a happily ever after with Dex, Hannah and Harrison moving away to live “normal” lives. Maybe Deb even goes with them? But I think something big has to happen with Daniel first. Maybe he and Vogel try to kill Dexter, but he gets them instead? I would be VERY upset if they killed Dexter or Deb. Dexter, in my opinion, is the good guy, a very likeable character. And, who knows… just because there’s no season 9 doesn’t mean they can’t keep Dexter open to a film later on down the road, or a mini series. Just a thought.

10. Lory C. says:

I got the creeps when Dexter told Hannah that Deb would be the only one who would know the truth about them escaping to Argentina…

I think Dr. Vogel is not all she appears to be…

And in the end, I think Deb and Dexter will always choose each other.

11. Samantha A says:

A few possibilities: maybe masuka’s daughter will play a role in the revelation of dexter as a serial killer. Or turns out that Hannah’s been acting in love all along but really she is going to make her move to get revenge on Dexter.the show could very well end on a calm note, he has put down all threats and continues to lead his life-after all, that’s dexter, he is invincible and the show has built such a confidence in him that viewers never doubt him or his ability to survive.

12. Angie says:

I agree that Hannah is pretending to love Dexter.I think Deb kills her. Dexter,Deb and Harrison ride into the sunset minus the dark passenger .

13. dextersgoingtodie says:

This reminds me of heat.. where dinero had the dilema of killing the snitch or leave, and of course he chose to kill the snitch and then died

14. steve says:

Ill be very disappointed if he sails of into the sunset with hannah as that would just be one terrible ending IMO & i wouldnt be able to get my head around how the producers think that would feel like the right ending

15. CM says:

Preparing for a polarizing ending is Hollywood speak for we wrote the ending we wanted and never mind the fans.

The biggest issue with TPTB of Dexter is that they love the title character so much that he can’t do anything wrong. And that’s not storytelling. It writing fan fiction.

16. Tom says:

I guess we can stop wondering about sisters Deb spin off.

17. Carol says:

I can’t hold back; I hated the ending…..Dexter is the guy we’ve all loved since the beginning….My husband and I wanted to see him happy in the end and we hoped that was the case when his dad said he’d changed and he didn’t need him anymore…And come on; did you really have to kill Deb? So disappointed! Can you please re-do the last show and have Dexter and Hannah and Harrison happy in Argentina and Quinn proposing to Deb……..well that is our happy ending.

• Steve says:

At first I agreed with you, it was a bad ending. But the writers and producers did say they did not care about polarizing the fans. I was saddened and shocked that Deb died. But it’s been a few days now and it seems to me it took losing Deb for Dexter to lose his Dark Passenger. Which is why the show ended.

• Zeus says:

Oh, come now. Why did we all watch this show if it did not elicit emotional responses within us? We rooted for Dexter because something about him rang a bell within us. At first I really hated this ending. I could not see Dexter treating Deb just like all the other garbage he dealt with. I still don’t think the writers understood his character at all since they had him do that. But I now think that, when pushed to the extreme edge, Dexter sacrificed the life he wanted so badly with all his heart so that Harrison and Hannah could live their lives without him around to destroy them. We must remember that the foundation of Dexter’s character is his mountainous self-loathing. He knew that the people he really does care about (and that alone scared the heck out of him, that he cares about someone other than himself) were better off without him around so he left them and “went underground.” This part I can see. I just can’t see him doing what he did to Deb. I mean, the WAY he did it is what bothers me. I could see him performing another mercy killing but to dump Deb like that? No way. That last image of Dexter, alone, has haunted me. THAT’s what the writers/producers/et al. wanted. They wanted to shock us, to let us know that even for the Dark Avenger, Life is not fair. Could anyone have honestly expected a Happy Ending to this story? Impossible. The novels are way better, anyway. ;) But Dexter Alone, Dexter Unchained From All That Anchored Him Before, is interesting to contemplate. Does he become just another serial killer with a Need? Or does he retain the Harry Code to stay out of Death Row? Or does he just not care enough to even feel the Need anymore? Does the Dark Passenger get bored and leave? Perhaps it is reveling in Dexter’s misery. His heart has been ripped from his living body and that is devastating even if you allegedly feel nothing. Dexter Alone is adrift, perhaps, much like Deb was after she killed LaGuerta. That last image of Dexter the Bearded (btw that was an awful fake beard!) made me wonder if that’s all he does. Get “home” from work and sit in a chair all night until it’s time to go to work in the morning. Upon whom now can he take revenge? Only himself. That is all that remains to Dexter Alone: endless self-recriminations, constant regret, an even deeper hatred of himself. For what, now, can rescue our Dark Hero?

18. First of all I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if youu do not
    mind. I wass interesred to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before
    writing. I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
    I truly do enjoy writing owever it just seedms like the first 10 too 15 minutes are generally lost just trying too figure out howw to begin.
    Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

• Steve P says:

Hello Megan Masters, I am fascinated by your question about how I center my self and clear my thoughts. My wife often comments how I am a Deep thinker. I’m sometimes not even sure what that means. This morning I sent a reply to you that I needed some time to
      think about it and I would tell you soon. Now I know that is part of my process is not to reply quickly. Sometimes it can take me all day or a few days. I wasn’t sure who you were until I looked back on TVline. I guess that could be a problem for you meeting deadlines.
      I will give a little background about me but won’t say a lot to protect my privacy. I can clear my thoughts by walking one or two of my dogs or trimming trees or shrubs here in Phoenix. I don’t do drugs or drink ( doesn’t that sound boring) I think centering your self and clearing your thoughts go hand in hand. I’m 63 now been through a divorce but met my perfect woman for me 13 years ago ( asked her about because of a episode of Seinfeld) . And one more key ingredient I wear my emotions on my sleeves ( anger, fear, laugh, and even cry)

Well if you need to know anymore. Or if I having quite asked the question to your satisfaction let me know.

• Steve P says:

Oh I’m a little confused was it home improvement ideas pinterest about clearing my thoughts, not Megan Masters?