Exclusive

The Mentalist Exclusive: Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman to Exit in Season 6

Amanda Righetti Owain Yeoman Leaving The MentalistIt appears the fallout from The Mentalist‘s looming Red John reveal is extending to the show’s call sheet.

TVLine has learned exclusively that original castmembers Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman will be leaving the CBS procedural toward the end of Season 6 (premiering Sept. 29 at 10/9c).

The departures of colleagues and sometime-lovers Van Pelt and Rigsby will likely tie into this fall’s unmasking of Red John, a six-year-old mystery whose resolution is poised to set the show on a new course.

RELATED | The Mentalist Scoop: Jane and Lisbon’s Relationship to Reach a Turning Point in Season 6

In a statement to TVLine, series creator Bruno Heller would “neither confirm or deny” our story, but acknowledged that The Mentalist is heading into its “most dramatic and game changing season and anything can happen.”

As teased in last week’s Ask Ausiello, one two new series regulars — one male and one female — will be introduced in early ’14, presumably to fill the eventual void left by Righetti and Yeoman.

1. Karen says:

If they don’t wrap up the “Red John” storyline, I am done with this show. It has been played out far tooooooo loooooong and I am bored with the show. I love Patrick Jane when he is at his most impish and comedic when he helps solve cases. I also am done with the show if they make Patrick and Theresa a “couple.” I don’t see why two people can’t work together and be partners and friends and be respectful of each other without falling into the “love” gig. It will ruin the show for me. Also when they moved the show to Sunday the football games ALWAYS ran long and The Mentalist and the shows preceding it were at the mercy of the games running over. UGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

2. Ed & Audrey Derby says:

We watched The Mentalist…and purchased all seasons….since it started…but if they take out these two, we will NOT be watching!

3. blancaster60 says:

So The Metalist has decided to join the parade and kill off/eliminate some of its main characters. I know it’s the rage these days, but I’m really starting to get sick of it. Faithful fans get invested in the lives (albeit fictitious lives) of these characters and when they are yanked away, especially by choice and not because the actor has chosen to leave, it seems very manipulative. I’m hoping that this recent trend (which I think Game of Thrones began) will eventually fall out of favor and the producers and writers of these shows will stop thumbing their noses at their most loyal viewers.

• Beatrice says:

blancaster60………I couldn’t have said it better. Thank you so much!!!! Let’s hope and pray they listen to us loyal viewers.

4. Very sad, however, if they get married and leave I would be happy!!!!!!!!

• John says:

That would be a nice ending for them, have to admit I’m much more a fan of endings like Chuck (amnesiac Sarah: “Kiss me”) than some bullet in the head closeup.

5. Noooooo :( I love Van Pelt and Rigsby! I hope either a) they don’t get killed off by Red John b) one of them gets killed and the other leaves because they can’t take working at the CBI without the other, or c) Van Pelt and Rigsby have been working together and are collectively Red John, meaning they were moles at the CBI the whole time. Ideally, they’ll walk off in to the sunset together…can’t really see that happening and them both leaving just like that, especially when they’re such loved characters.

6. Danielle H. says:

This is sad. I have lost SO much interest in this show over the years that it sits on my DVR for awhile, but the cast was one of the main reasons to keep watching. As long as I still have my Cho <3. I wonder.. is Van Pelt maybe Red John? I'm sure ppl will yell and scream and throw out reasons why she isn't but what if she was…

7. Calishamanka says:

The chemistry between ALL of the players in the group is what makes this show so vital, not just Patrick Jane’s character. Losing Rigsby and Van Pelt signals the end of the show to me, as producers or whoever begins cutting corners. Not sure how much longer I’ll be watching.

8. wrstlgirl says:

I pretty much stopped watching after 3 years of the Red John story line not being resolved. Hard to believe it’s still going on. I do watch an episode now and then and have to say these two are by far my favs. Sorry to see them go.

9. John says:

Once the Red John dreck is cleaned off the show I might just start watching again.

10. JMill says:

Can’t say I appreciate the spoiler being in the headline, but having read it, in for a penny, in for a pound I guess.

This presents some interesting possibilities, so I’ll look forward to that. I like both characters, but they’ve had a good run, so I won’t mind seeing what the two new characters bring to the table.

Very much looking forward to seeing where the Ref John story is going.

• DreamRose311 says:

I agree, something like major characters leaving really is a big spoiler to me, can’t believe it was in the headline, and not after the jump… Even if the headline said ‘major characters leaving’ that’d still be pretty big… “shakeup on The Mentalist” maybe?

11. Almost says:

Noooo! I don’t care about Red John, I care about them. The whole dynamic of the show will be thrown off if they don’t stay.

12. Luis says:

I am hoping the producers will let Grace and Rigsby ride off into the sunset together, rather than having one of them be a Red John victim.

13. JoyAnne says:

I’ll agree with a lot of people here. If they must leave then let it be to get married which they cannot do and continue working together. The last thing I want is for them to be victims of Red John. I haven’t been bored with that s/l but I’m glad we are getting closure on it in the up coming season.
    Frankly I think TM has had the best ensemble of any shows I watch. All the characters get screen time. I think the only thing I’ve wondered about is what happened to Rigsby’s son? Did I miss something about that?
    I’m looking forward to see how Jane reacts now that RJ Is finished. I love the chemistry between him & Lisbon. The way they work together. Laugh and tease each other without going the way so many shows have of making that the highlight and a love affair. As for Lisbon. I’m one viewer that loves Robin Tunney in the role. She does a great job.
    Can I assume it is in its present lousy time slot because it does not belong to CBS? A shame they don’t realize it lost viewers because of that. Some Sundays it has been after 11 p.m. Before it comes on. Ridiculous. Wish they would smarten up and give it a better time.

• @JoyAnne says:

You had me until the Jane and Lisbon getting together part. I do want them together. Everything but that was just so perfect and spot on.

• JoyAnne says:

Look what has happened on NCIS. Viewers were teased so long about Tony & Ziva hooking up. Now they ave to come up with something because she has not re-signed. I wouldn’t like to see an outcome like that with Jane and Lisbon. Leave it until the show is ready to leave the air. Then they can ride off into the sunset together.

14. Ace says:

My scenario for the exit is that one of them gets shot and the other leaves the team to take care of the other – best scenario is Grace shoots RJ and is seriously wounded, Rigsby professes his love for her, and holds her hand as she is taken to hospital; then long-term care to help Grace to recover

15. Whitelinen says:

I am SO over the Red John plotline; I could not even watch this show last season because of the endless RJ theme. And I was a pretty dedicated Mentalist fan before they beat this RJ thing into the ground. Hearing RJ is over is a plus, I will watch again if I know it will be resolved this year. I don’t care about Rigpelt either way, she’s boring and he’s kind of a dolt.

16. Seon says:

Oh man. NCIS without Ziva. Mentalist without Rigsby and van Pelt. What’s going on. I’m awake, right?

17. asta says:

I hope that they have nothing to do with the red john story and just ride off into the sunset together. I hope even more that CBS resolves its problems with Time Warner because it will affect their ratings. Bad enough with the irregular times on a Sunday night.

18. JoyAnne says:

I was surprised at Owain going. I remember reading so long ago that he was actually the first one cast in the show. BTW. I’ll ask again. Does anyone know what happened to his son? He just was not mentioned anymore. That’s the sort of thing they do in soap operas. haha

19. TVDIVA says:

Well this just sucks big time. Those two are a big reason I watch the show. I hope both actors move onto bigger and better things, but this just sucks

20. Hans says:

Red john is on that list with a twist. This will be the finale season.

21. JoyAnne says:

I don’t think this will be the final season. I’m looking forward to seeing how Jane adjusts to the fact that RJ is gone. He is still good at what he does. Closing cases. Remember when Basco was dying he told Jane to. “Shoot that bastard”. I want to see where they go from there.

22. magickster says:

As long as they leave because they get married and have a baby and choose to move where there is there less violence. A fresh start.

23. ann says:

Well maybe I will start watching it again..I got so tired of Red John…I hate these series when they have this villain that gones on and on for years before he is caught or killed..I thought The Mentalist was a good show if they had caught Red John the first season..Have not watche it since first season. Might try agin this season.

24. I’m ok with them leaving. Patrick Jane obsession with red john is the reason I started and I’m still watching the show. I’m glad cho is staying, I love is deadpan attitude.

25. Plot twist: Cote de Pablo will be the new female character…

• fatima baba says:

Cote de pablo as zifa no no we don’t lyk it she is better on ncsi she is not a fit on the mentalist let d new female character be kenzi on ncis LA

26. Pj says:

Would be terrible for them to be killed off, it would be as bad as one of the team being red john. I hope they just get married and leave. I agree red john is on ONE of Patrick’s lists…I’m betting the first

27. Nemo says:

This is great news!

The actors who played Rigsby and Van Pelt brought down the quality of the show. Good riddance to them I say.

Jane, Lisbon, Cho — that’s how it should been from the beginning.

28. fatima baba says:

Rigsby n amanda re great on dis show if dey leave or become part of RED JOHNS victims it ill be bad n ill end up there I wouldn’t continue watching neither will a lot of fans. It should be JJ larosh who should leave. We need van pelt n rigsby to end up Red john mystery

29. Rayan Kahil says:

ACTUALLY, I believe that Bruno Heller will bring exiting events to cover it up. He’s really smart. I love this show :)

30. Karen says:

First I have heard of this change coming to The Mentalist. I was so hoping Rigby and VanPelt would get together again on the sly and that also would be a storyline for the show. However, I watch The Mentalist for Simon Baker and Tim Kang. Gosh, I love those two guys! First it was Ziva leaving NCIS and now this. It just doesn’t pay to invest your time into these shows and then have good characters leave and you have to start all over again getting to know a new person entering the scene.

31. Lisa says:

Booooo!!!!!! for wanting to kill off these 2 characters or however you’re going to do it. The WHOLE ensemble of these actors/characters is WHY the show has worked. The reason (I believe) it has gone down, is because the “Red John” storyline has gone on way too long. You getting rid of these 2 characters and adding 2 news will be what will “KILL” the show. Why do stations/shows ALWAYS mess up a good thing. Also, if you do the storyline of one of them being “Red John” or part of “Red John’s helpers/people” is even more stupid. You stations always do the “WRONG” thing, and that’s how you end up killing a show. CBS/Warner Bros, whoever will be the killers of this show. I love this show the way it is, don’t mess with a good thing.

32. Peter says:

Am I the only one that thinks that Red John might kill them half-way through the season?

33. Damion Pauksta says:

The only reason that I watch the show is to see Amanda Righetti. When she leaves the Mentalist, so will I. I would like to see her in another cop show. I like shows and books featuring strong, hot women.

34. Genie says:

I love the cast as it is and definitly don’t want it to end !!!!

35. Runa says:

I can’t lie. They seere a big part of the reason why I watch it. And it does make my heart cry. But its just a show. But they do look cute together. But the show must go on. Right…

36. ET says:

Come on now!!! Van Pelt and Rigsby are refreshing to the team. They’re all so close, I believe they should let the team stay together until the end. Turning those unsuspecting two into the villians will not help the show be better. Come on now, yall can do better than that!! Red John doesn’t have to be someone obvious, but certainly doesn’t have to be Van Pelt or Rigsby.

37. barbara says:

i think this show just about done!!!!!! the redjohn storyline dragging on and on. then castmates leaving. the only one i really like is cho. think i will start watching the shows on cable tv

38. barbara says:

plus lisbon and patrick together yuk

39. barbara says:

and what did amandas husband do on twitter!!!!!!!

40. barbara says:

vanpelt could be connected to red john she’s always acted a bit different. she had that fiance who was connected to rj then she shot him mayb he he messed with her head he came back as ghost at one point at end she kept necklace he gave her

41. barbara says:

oh it doesn’t have to be someone on list mayb that just to make it look that way and the shocker rjohn ending could be someone on team just saying

42. uhavetobekidding says:

Great idea if losing your fan base is what they’re going for. Why do these shows insist on fixing what isn’t broken? If Van Pelt and Rigsby go…I go!

43. PepperJo says:

The Red John storyline. Please make it stop. So old and tired. Don’t care anymore. Just make it stop.

44. PepperJo says:

BTW, love the Cho character. Althougth no chemistry between Patrick and Lisbon at all. Just ewwww. And have never liked her in the role. Maybe everyone but Patrick and Cho need to go and then start over with better characters and relationships.

• Anne says:

I agree with PepperJo–Cho is good to stay and Jane and Lisbon should be friends, no chemistry for more. VanPelt and Rigsby have become boring, good time to replace them

45. Stephen says:

Last nights show sucked also channel 2 has to stop this late golf or football runing the start time of shows red John is who?….

46. pennym says:

I only read this debate because I thought Grace looked so different this series I wsas checking it was still Amanda Righetti

47. Carol A. says:

Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman chosen to be replaced, that’s too bad The Mentalist will not be the same no way no shape or form for me and I’ll not be watching CBS Sundays and have lots of good movies to choose from. Bye-bye CBS on Sundays, I’ll watch you during the week.

48. mm says:

i would like to see all the main characters in the future, I dont like this choice….

49. Nerissa says:

la verdad no estoy muy contenta con esta mi hermana y yo vemos la serie juntas y ella me dijo que esto iba a pasar pero la verdad no le creí. Rygsby y Van Pelt son de mis personajes favoritos y es cierto toda esta trama de Jonh el Rojo ya me aburrio a mi me gustaba como todos juntos resolvian los asesinatos Lisbon, Rigsby, Van Pelt, Cho y Jane pero que los quieran sustituir no eso no definitivamente esta seri se acabo.

50. Caroline Wright says:

Everyone should know / once CBS puts a good show on Sunday nights it’s coming to an END!!!!!
    Look what happen to CSI Miami and other shows. Especially when you record the shows and have to record at least an hour or two after the show is suppose to start. I stopped watching new shows on CBS for that reason.