Under the Dome Recap: Dome and Domer

Under the Dome Recap Second DomeThis week on CBS’ Under the Dome, one life was added, one got subtracted and Joe and Norrie uncovered the Dome’s not-so-chewy center. Here’s a rundown of new things we learned, new questions raised.

RELATED | CBS’ Under the Dome Renewed for Season 2

THINGS WE LEARNED….
* Julia likes you to stay….

* … but Barbie’s not a stayer. That said, he is so getting much more sex after A) thwarting the gas-jacking and then B) helping birth a baby.

* Big Jim years ago privately bought the diner, after helping it stay in business for a stretch.

* When it comes to inducing labor, eggplant parmigiana has got nothing on the Dome.

* Shy Ronnie may be 110-percent nuts, but as a deputy he’s got a helluva work ethic.

* Joe and Norrie quite possibly may be the cutest TV couple of the past few years. “Focus, Joe!”

* It’s a really, really good thing that Joe paid attention in both chemistry and trig.

* At the epicenter of the Dome is… another, much smaller dome. Dome Jr. And inside of that is a dark “egg” that looks like an objet d’art one buys at a fancy gift shop.

* Big Jim is a decent-enough shot even after sucking down a fifth of whiskey. And Junior is a decent-enough shot at point-blank range with a rifle.

THINGS WE’RE WONDERING….

* Did Chester’s Mill not have an orthodontist who could’ve helped a young Ollie out with them chompers?

* Why didn’t Big Jim just throw his truck into reverse and mow down the goon who was guarding his stolen PRO-pane supply?

* Was Harriet supposed to have been excited by Alice’s proclamation, “You’re going to have the first baby born inside the Dome!”?

* How psyched is Harriet that the kindly lady doctor who was passing through town on D-Day wasn’t named Helga?

* How do the Dome and Dome Jr. choose whose images to “project”? Is it some shmatlzy “The person you love most” formula? Or did Daddy Dome use Harriet’s husband as a means to ultimately induce labor and thus deliver unto the earth Killer Baby Alice? Is it all part of some “population control” initiative? Like, must there be exactly 108 and only 108 people alive inside the Dome?

* Did that final scene, with Norrie begging the Dome to bring back her mom Alice, get any other Stephen King fans thinking about an Under the Dome/Pet Sematary crossover?

* What happened to the leaves Joe had covered Dome Jr. back up with?

* Per TVLine reader Soosan: “Wasn’t the outside of the dome blown to bits?” At least for miles and miles? So why does everything on the other side now look A-OK?

* Did anybody else keep expecting/wanting Michael Scott to show up when “the Dundees” got mentioned?

* Remind me, how are we getting two seasons out of this…?

What questions did this week’s Dome leave you with?

1. Lilly says:

Really look forward to this show each week.

2. I for one would really like if there was much more sex between Barbie and Julia. Yes please.

3. Soosan says:

Bit confused, wasn’t the outside of the dome blown to bits? All the “out of the dome” shots seemed to show nice green grass and lush scenery.

4. Michael says:

I’m thinking its the Dome’s perception of what it wants us to see. I’m sorry, but I could live without Junior.

5. emaegf says:

I must say I just love the “Dome’s not-so-chewy center” remark. :)

6. Rick says:

the center is an incubating egg. The dome is trapping food for the hatchling. Please eat Junior first

7. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’m enjoying the show, particularly the tandem of Barbie and Julia – the show really moves when they are on camera.
    However, my favorite character is Dodee [Jolene Purdy], the radio station engineer. I find myself keeping close tabs on the technical lingo from her – an RF/radio engineer with a ‘Yagi antenna’. I’m a EE/IT engineer studying/getting back up to speed in RF, and getting a kick out of Dodee and her knowledge of electromagnetics and radio frequency. Good stuff.

Happy to hear the recent news that this show is coming back for a season 2. A guilty pleasure. Great to have both Mike Vogel (Pan Am) and Rachelle Lefevre (Gifted Man, Off the Map, Swingtown) back on series TV.

8. Jane says:

What kind of a recap is this? Are you worried about spoiling plot points, because this is a recap- meaning you should spoil them. I’m in LA where Time Warner Cable is blocking CBS. Sure would’ve been nice to know what happened on the show…

• majamababe says:

Go to your search engine and type in recap and then the name of your show and the date the episode aired. Someone is always doing a recap. That’s what I do for shows that I watch that TV Line and EW don’t recap.

• majamababe says:

Don’t get me wrong – I love Matt and Aus and TV Line and EW are stll my go to sites for tv-movie news, recaps, and spoilers – but sometimes ya just gottta go somewhere else to get info.

• Jen says:

Agree with you, but they call it a recap in the headline and this wasn’t much of one. Also seems like EW gave up recapping after episode 4.

• They always do the Under the Dome recaps like this, it sucks that you can’t watch the show, but I find it very creatively written and I like the way they do it.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

It’s available on Amazon Prime every Friday after the show airs on Monday. Bam, there’s your answer. See how easy that was?

• Ann says:

I thought you had to pay for Amazon Prime. It’s not free.

• Brian says:

Ann, they are running a trial subscription for free right now. I cannot recall if it is 10 days or 30 days though. I love Amazon Prime! You should just pay for it – if you order frequently from Amazon and are impatient like me, it is definitely worth it.

• Nero theTVFiddler and Mr. Zero TV says:

Jane – hopefully CBS and Warner will work out this issue – I know it’s a bummer for those in the major markets of LA and NY. Kind of strange the two companies are battling like this – I know it is over money. However, ironic since the CW network is basically a partnership by none other than CBS and Warner Bros.

In the meantime, if this CBS/Warner blackout continues for another week, and it might, there is a way for you to watch CBS (and the other broadcast networks) over the airwaves in the meantime. Your TV (probably a flat screen now, but same applies for an older cathode-ray tube TV **IF** you have a **digital converter box**) can not only support cable connection [ie. RG-59 connection or HDMI] or a satellite feed connection from a cable provider, but can also support good-‘ole free TV antenna reception [ie. "Rabbit Ears".]

Stop by your local Radio Shack or Best Buy retailer and ask them for a simple (or more complex, if so inclined) HTDV antenna that can receive your local free broadcast stations such as CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and CW … and any local independent stations. They can help you select the right antenna for your needs (prices run from approx. $30 to $100+). Ask them for a simple, mid-level unit, and the opportunity to exchange it if it doesn’t meet your needs. Some antennas grab certain frequency ranges better than others. The guys at the store should know (or can find out with quick Internet research) which antenna will be work best for the local CBS affiliate station’s transmission signal frequency for the LA area.

Once you bring the antenna home, attach it to the back of your TV – more than likely you’ll need to temporarily disconnect the cable “RG-59″ [circular black cable with a single copper lead center lead wire] from the back of the TV to hook up your temporary ‘CBS’ antenna for watching ‘Under the Dome.’

The investment of money for the antenna has longer term value – keep the antenna. Sooner than later, we’ll see more and more battles between the networks and the cable providers, and probably more blackouts to come. The antenna will give you some options when these blackouts happen. Also, some day, you may want to become a ‘cord cutter’, eliminating your cable TV bill once additional shows/content are delivered via Internet broadband via ‘OTT’ – (Over The Top) technology and ‘ala carte’ services.

Also, Amazon may be streaming Under the Dome later in the week. I heard that (somehow), CBS is trying to block Warner cable customers from accessing the show on demand from the CBS website (very uncool, not happy with this decision). If that is happening, try logging into another service (server) on the Internet, and then cutting across (from there) to the CBS site. I think CBS (servers) are trying to track the IP addresses of the local LA ISP Warner service, so when/if they see your IP address on the CBS server, they know you are coming from ISP-Warner in LA. There may be a way (from what I described above) to try to work around that. If you also have a cell/smart phone contract (with say, A&T, VZ, Sprint, TM, Metro) with an inexpensive data plan, you should be able to access the CBS site and stream the show that way, since CBS would not know you are a Warner ISP customer at that point – They’d (servers) see you as an AT&T/VZ customer.

Hope this helps a bit – hang in there, CBS and Warner will eventually work this out – they have no choice.

• Nero theTVFiddler and Mr. Zero TV says:

Just noticed Ann’s comment above, just up-thread – she is correct, Amazon Prime is not free. There may not be a free temporary solution, unless you have a neighbor who may have an extra set of rabbit ears that you can test out on your TV.

• Nero theTVFiddler and Mr. Zero TV says:

Another correction and error we made in our initial analysis- see down-thread for Matt’s explanation.

It turns out that Under the Dome is not streaming on CBS.com … Matt explains why down-thread.

This is a tricky one to remedy for those in markets w/Warner-Brighthouse, etc. who are getting CBS black-out. We’ll keep looking at a work-around to see if we can figure something out and will report back. Rabbit-ears may be best bet, or a type of ‘Aereo’ temporary workaround.

• Courtney says:

A ‘recap’ finally showed up at EW again, but it’s not much better than this one.

9. Scooter says:

Wrong about the exact number thing. Every episode until now, exactly one person has died. In this one 4 died and one was born (Alice, Dundee 1&2, and Boomer.) So Chester’s Mill is short 9 people.

Also, did anyone notice that nothing has been happening in the outside world since the missile struck? How many people, if any, were killed by that nuke outside the dome?

• Dave says:

It wasn’t a nuke. It was the military’s most powerful conventional missile. The area outside was evacuated, so presumably no one was killed.

• Overthinking says:

I hear you on the exact # of people inside the dome. And why indicate 108 people? Was this # referred to in one of the episodes? I wonder who is the next main or supporting character that will be killed off. I cannot believe they killed off Rose and the Deputy Chief. They better not kill off Barbie or the radio DJ.

10. M3rc Nate says:

This show sucks. lol. Gahhhhhhhh. I cant help but prepare myself for disappointment in regards to what the Dome is (and the other Answers to our Questions). I really like Barbie and the red head is decent..but besides that…bad acting, and bad writing.

Did it strike anyone as weird for Barbie and the Red Head to be cuddling downstairs as a woman who had a heart attack is dying upstairs then dies? Then their daughter crying hysterically goes running past them out the front door and they are just cuddling where a woman just gave birth? (ya, just a cushion needs to be replaced…thats ALL…70-80% of women dont defecate during child birth, along with all the birthing fluid/stuff/placenta..ya lets cuddle up right where that all went down…) lol.

I cant believe that those two kids don’t tell everyone what they know (besides their personal connection to the Dome). I’m sorry but is it strange of me to think “if it was me, or anyone i know…we would tell everyone to meet together and we would tell everyone what we have learned so far” ? The first thing being when he found out the size of the dome (and that it was a dome), then now he found the center of it, a mystery egg thing and another dome? WTF.

The show also makes me feel bad for lady cops and small town cops cause that Latina cop gives them a HORRIBLE name. Most recently how quietly she said “stop” when it was raining last episode and the guys were beating the guy on the street as she has pulled her gun and has it aiming at them…hello…Cops yell/scream to make sure they are heard. “STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!” is what a cop would do…then this episode where im pretty sure she broke police protocol in how she was detaining the guy, why would she at 5’5 have a taller MAN be standing with his elbows right near her face as she handcuffs him? (his hands on his head) Uhhh…no, theres a reason you see cops throw people to the ground, make them lay on the ground hands and feel out, hit someone in the kidney or stomach as they arrest them…she would have the guy get on his knees, then lay on the ground and spread his arms/legs out, then she would tell the other guy to come over, do the same, and as Andy Samberg (Shy Ronnie) has them at gun point, she detains them both, if they start to look at each other giving looks (the two guys on the ground, a pretense to them making a move like we saw them do on the show before they made their move) you take out your baton/taser and hit them both hard with it. Shes a horrible cop.

Typical show writing the characters around the big plot point (the dome) instead of creating deep, human characters with life long back-stories and all their motives and thinking process thought out/planned and THEN write that a Dome surrounds them. Its like the had the concept of the Dome (from the book) then were like “ok..so what dramatic characters and couplings can we through in the Dome to make it a must watch show full of drama? I know! A bad soldier! A hot red head firey journalist! A ruff and abusive father with a psychopathic son! A hipster granola bi-racial lesbian couple with a punk-rebellious daughter! etc…they are shells of characters… no depth, very very very little substance.

• azu says:

Hey!! Easy, tiger!!!!

• Ty says:

You make some valid points. However this is network television, so you can only expect so much. At least they haven’t screwed up the premise as badly as Terra Nova did.

• M3rc Nate says:

Network American television….which is exactly why cable is so popular and so full of quality. I say American cause look at a show like Flashpoint, those characters were SO well written and they evolved/progressed over the seasons and the “procedural” aspect was great (their cases)…so it can be done. I cant imagine how bad “season two” of The Dome is going to be if this was supposed to be a mini series (one season) and this is what we got.

• My theory is – and not just with this show – they saw an outline of the book and wrote their own story around it. Man, woman, they have to get together after initial friction – looting scene – food/water scarcity and bad guy hoarding – propane mystery – rev sets house on fire – kids go looking, find weird thing in the woods. And so on. I’m especially befuddled that they’ve made Big Jim Rennie essentially a conflicted good guy, when in the book he was obnoxious from the start.

• tp says:

She gave birth on the dining room table with the couch cushion behind her.

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh ok, but still i do think my point stands that lovingly cuddling while all that birthing “stuff” is one room away and a dead woman is up stairs? :/

• Alia says:

Yeah, that does seem like an awkward situation for cuddling. Also, I’d never want to eat off that dining room table again.

11. Niko says:

Well what do you expect? It’s CBS and Spielberg for Pete’s sake. At least it’s not Terra Nova. *rolls eyes*

12. Ba_Ba_Barbie says:

I will continue to watch, but at this point there really isn’t much enjoyment to it. I will finish out the season then forget about it. The characters in the book were so detailed, I literally wanted to quit reading it because I hated the villains in it so bad. But Spielberg has put too much of an inner turmoil/conflict emphasis on the characters that is sucking the air out of the show. To me, he has done the same thing with Falling Skies.

13. Elyse says:

I can’t believe I was actually rooting for Junior to kill someone this week. I’m loving Under the Dome!!

14. J V Smith says:

It’s not 24 or Lost, but it beats watching Dez accept
    a marriage proposal one week after wanting to die when Brooks left her.

15. Ann says:

I usually enjoy these recaps…but since Time Warner is blocking my CBS and I haven’t bought an antenna yet, I didn’t missed the show! CBS is blocking Time Warner customers from watching their shows online…so I have nowere to go to view this episode! Can we get a scene by scene full recap?

16. WHAT?!?!? My cable box guide said it wasn’t on ….. grrrr … OnDemand here I come. ☺☻☺

17. tnsmoke says:

First of all you should be able to leave comments at the beginning of the comments thread instead of having to scroll all the way to the end. As for the show I am willing to bet it there was anything else intersting on basic network tv this show wouldn’t have become a hit. I watch, and will for the rest of this season but am pissed that it will not be resolved as planned and now a new season is being made up! I don’t feel ANY chemistry between any of the “couples” in this show: Barbie is has severe anger issues and is ready to kill with his bare hands and is no better then Junior. Julia is all cozy with the man who was her husbands gambling debts enforcer? Norri and Joe have no chemistry nor do the lesbian couple and I could of done without the network tv “go to” childbirth ploy to get our sympathy. There is not one person in this town to root for. And how come Joe and Norri seem to be able to be everywhere in 2 seconds? How big is this town, 5 blocks?? So far nothing is scary and it’s just another disappointment Stephen King adaptation to tv. Will keep watching but it needs some severe help and am hoping Jack Bauer is hatched from that egg. I never watched Lost but is this is kind of what Lost was like then I will skip ever checking out the series on dvd.

• Lilly says:

Geez, go away if you’re so miserable! What show are you watching anyway? I’m falling for Barbie more every week! I love to hate Jr. And Norri and Joe are extremely likeable. What exactly are you looking for in network television? This is not the best thing every, but it’s more interesting that most. Beats the heck out of reality tv. (Have you SEEN Big Brother this summer?!?!?!)

18. Amanda says:

THIS X 100!!! Those were my exact thoughts when he was there! Or also there weren’t any plant stores? If there is a food shortage why hasn’t anyone started planting vegetables so that they can eat? Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, but I went into it thinking it was going to be a mini-series. But now that they got a season 2 pickup, I’m trying to figure out where they are going with this…

• Lilly says:

My husband is like you–freaking out at the lack of “big picture” actions by the leaders. Why aren’t they securing the food? Organizing people? Shoot, just have a town meeting! But I just keep reminding him that only a week or so has supposedly gone by. And they were robbed of their real leader (the sheriff) the first day. The answer to the question about Big Jim killing that guy with his truck is simple: he’s concerned with his image. He had to make it look like an accident (like the reverend).

19. Plum says:

They are really running out of story at a good clip; I’m not complaining, I’d love it to be more mini series and less long drawn out convoluted yawner. But how many shortages, riots and senseless murders will it take to finally get rid of that Dome? 24, Prison Break, Lost, Last Resort, Revolution, Jericho and so many other shows painted themselves into corners with the same plot device, but only a few shows have been able to keep viewers hooked.

You can stick the cast in a tense situation, but keeping them lost in space, in prison or on a boat will eventually bore the audience. Eventually you gotta get Gilligan out of the Dome before the Globetrotters show up in Chester’s Mills.

These bottle shows get pitched with exciting movie-like hooks that fizzle when drawn out over six seasons.

20. B says:

I like this show, but good lord, some of the acting is shamefully bad. Joe is awful, but Deputy…er, Sheriff Linda makes him look talented by comparison.

21. Jen says:

Aw, hey now, don’t pick on the actor who plays Ollie because of his teeth.

22. canadian ninja says:

If I were in Chester’s Home for the Worst People in the World Mill the dome would not get any respect from me until it could project the image of a giant taco that crapped ice-cream.

23. Phillip Box says:

Was hoping this was gonna be a quick 6-8 episode deal…then wrap up all story-lines. As soon as I read that there’s gonna be another season, I cancelled my Tivo “season pass” and erased last nights episode. Just don’t want to be strung out for anothe xxx?# episodes.

24. Tom hazel says:

Did anyone notice the little purple tendrils on the egg at the very end of the episode? I was wondering if there was one of those for each person who died because I remember right I think there was for them. The kind of wiggle the top of the egg and then made it glow purple at the top. Was there any significance of that event?

25. jfritz says:

Did anyone else get that the Dome was helping them…. The baby had the umbilical cord wrapped around it’s neck, so if the Dome hadn’t of induced the labor the baby may have died. Also, with Nori connected with the Dome the way she is, it wanted her to know her mom was dying out of kindness, or possibly it has some plan and wanted her to bargain with it the way she did. It wasn’t some “show the ones you love most” trigger, it was a warning for them both…
    That is one reason why I’m not sure if (the Dome) it is good or bad, or maybe in between….

26. Jen says:

dont they put the shows on the websites? (cbs website?)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not UNDER THE DOME. What made it financially attractive for CBS was Amazon purchased dibs on the online streaming.

• Nero theTVFiddler and Mr. Zero TV says:

Thanks for the clarification Matt – we were wrong on the CBS.com approach; and indeed, no Under the Dome. Interesting. As you noted, CBS needed to make the numbers work for this higher-budget summer series; and hence, a dedicated ‘partner’ [$$] for the online streaming – Amazon Prime. This model may be the way of the future for getting ‘event’ type big-budget series onto the Summer schedule.
        We’ll go back up-thread and update/correct our earlier reply to Jane and others who are Warner, Brighthouse, etc. customers who are getting CBS black-out.
        Oh boy, I guess that leaves either the ‘rabbit ears’ approach that we recommend, or maybe our bad boy Barry Diller team/Aereo “mini-Pirates TV” approach once it hits the LA/NY market! ;)

• If u aren’t Time Warner, or like my bright house, a company that has licensing right done via TW. I tried w/my RR … they blocked that as well.

27. emaegf says:

I need to get the book and read. I can’t wait any more to findout what the dark egg thing really is…..

• books 1000, yes thousand ☺☺, pages, though. heh

• ema, please don’t bother. You won’t recognize it. The dark egg thing doesn’t make an appearance until quite late in the book (not that it’s actually an egg shape anyway, nor does it have anything to do with eggs.) Wait about a year and then read it, after you’ve mostly forgotten what all happened on TV. (And then see if you think it could have been a series.) You’ll probably like the book, it’s really good.

28. doug says:

This show is a piece of CRAP

29. peggy says:

I enjoyed the first few episodes, started reading the book and discovered how off the program is compared to book. It does seem like some of the actors aren’t a good choice. Bland acting in my opinion. It could be much better. I was so excited when it began, disappointed with episode 8/5/2013

• RichieS says:

Not only are there bad actors but Britt Robertson is a confirmed ‘show killer’ (Secret Circle, Life Unexpected, Swingtown ).

30. Cate Amos says:

One “technical” question I have, is how many episodes were in the can when the network decided to go to a second season? I know that TV production is concurrent with broadcast and I’m thinking that this might be why some of the illogical story-telling might be happening. Did CBS see the initial numbers and decide to tweak the original story board in order to get an additional season out of it?

A big story question I have – how hard up does a woman have to be to invite a man into her bed that she had kicked out of her house approximately 24 hours before? (I’m trying to keep up with how many days have passed, but I know I’m not doing a good job.) One day Julia learns Barbie is an enforcer and kicks him out of her house. The next (day for them?) the rains come and cool things off, and she’s ready to knock boots with him. (I do have to admit that I’ve been ready to do that since ep. 1.)

Also, why take a woman in early labor to the only person who hasn’t practiced hands-on internal medicine since med school? Even though the clinic is closed, the medical personnel who were working there when the dome came down are still in CM. I think I’d rather put my baby’s life in an RN’s hands than an out-of-towner, non-practicing “medical” doctor who isn’t in great physical health herself? (I know, gotta move the plot along somehow.)

Despite this and all the other holes in logic that have been pointed out, I’m going to stick through this until the bitter end. I’ve always found King’s stories more riveting on paper, so I’ll hit the book when the show is over.

• emor says:

For your technical question, During the regular fall season, by the time you watch your pilot episode of most shows, they will have around 3 to 4 episodes ‘in the can’, i.e., done. In this case they probably had around half the episodes done and a storyline set down for the rest. This story line would more than likely ‘wrap up’ the season. Not saying you would get complete closure, but you would get answers to most major questions. Since CBS renewed the series early, they probably adjusted the storyline so you get a couple of big answers and a cliffhanger to bring you back next year. But do remember, Stephen King is not noted for his story endings. See a show called ‘Golden Years’ and you’ll see why i’m trepidatious about how this season will end.

31. sue says:

My fear??? This is going to turn into LOST! 6-8 seasons of questions with little answers? No thanks…I can hold on a little longer, but I’m with the other people who commented…eat Junior and keep it to a manageable length with complete answers…just sayin’.

32. MRA says:

It may have been mentioned in the comments but I haven’t read them all yet… My husband asked about the 1 death for 1 birth that Matt questioned… the theory doesn’t hold. The Reverend is dead – no baby, the Dundee boys are dead – no babies, the diner lady is dead – no baby, the 2 sheriffs deputies are dead – no babies, the Sherriff is dead – no baby… shall I continue? LOTS of people have died within the dome and we’ve had ONE, just one birth…

not a sermon, just a thought.

33. Gmonster320 says:

Next up, Sharknado Under The Dome. Henceforth it shall be referred to as Domnado.

34. geof says:

read the book instead…WAY better than this. if you’re looking for a show to watch instead of Under The Dome on Monday nights…check out SIBERIA on NBC…that’s how you do a crazy, suspenseful show…also, read the graphic novel, Girls by the Luna Brothers…excellent small town trapped under a dome story

35. Carl Mansfield says:

I wonder what would happen if you took the mini dome and make it touch the large outer dome. A catastrophic breakdown of the space-time continuum? A tear in the fabric of the universe? Total annihilation? Man, if I was inside that dome, it would be the first thing I would want to try.