Magic City Cancelled After Two Seasons

Get More: Cancellations

Magic City CancelledMagic City is closing its doors for good.

Starz has opted not to renew the Miami-set period drama for a third season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved,” Starz said in a statement Monday. “From the writers, to the cast and crew, it has been an incredible collaboration. This was a story born from Mitch Glazer’s singular vision of Miami, the Magic City of his childhood, and we are grateful to him for bringing it to life on Starz.

“The season’s story arc will allow us to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the series,” the pay cabler continued, “and we thank all the fans who checked in to the Miramar Playa.”

Magic City concludes its run with the Season 2 finale this Friday at 9/8c.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the cancellation.

Tags: ,

Comments (91)

• Man, poor Jeffrey Dean Morgan has the worst luck, relative to his talent, in picking projects. Poor guy – he’s really quite an intriguing performer. (And that’s not because he’s a hot buttered biscuit with a side of sexy gravy. Well. Not JUST because.he’s a hot buttered biscuit with a side of sexy gravy.)

Comment by annie sisk – August 5, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is he unlucky? He works all the time, with a lot of great people, on a lot of good or great projects. Sounds like a lucky man – a working actor.

Comment by Temperenace – August 6, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure that’s true, however look at his track record. His movies flop, his TV shows either get cancelled or his character dies.

Comment by annie sisk – August 6, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Starz ever keep a show on the air past 2-3 seasons?

Comment by Behzad – August 5, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spartacus was on for four…

Comment by Michael Sacal – August 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem for most cable shows is that there is no market for the shows in syndication. Sure, a few hits might reach the 88 eps necessary for syndication. But, given the small number of shows produced it takes too many years to reach that number. Those that do often don’t have the content appropriate for syndication (hello Sopranos).

And that is where the money is in TV. Syndication. If you can’t sell a show into syndication, it doesn’t make sense to make more than 60 or so eps. Given union rules for actors, the raises necessary to make more than 60 eps get prohibitive if the produces don’t have the ability to sell the show into syndication.

It is killing my SyFy shows, so I feel your pain.

Comment by Patrick – August 6, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stars as of now for canceling manic city can kiss my ass I’m threw with this sorry ass Chanel they are mentally if they canceled that show

Comment by beverly white – August 6, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just received starz and I loved Magic City and the whole cast! I guess I can cancel Starz
      now, because I certainly don’t care about white Queens and pirate crap.

Comment by Diane Geswein – August 20, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So greatly disappointed that Magic City was cancelled. I didn’t know about the show the 1st season – just learned about it during the 2nd season & was hooked from the 1st viewing. Can’t believe this happened to that show. Possibly it didn’t get enough PR & that’s why I didn’t know of it for 1st season How could the network do this to this show. What a tragedy

Comment by Pat – August 27, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe now JDM can find his way back to Supernatural. HIS BOYS NEED HIM!!!! ;p

Comment by Jaimie – August 5, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fingers crossed! I’d love to see him back there.

Comment by Kristina – August 5, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First thing my mind went to was the spin-off should be about John Winchester, now that he’s available, but then, I’m selfish, and we’ve tread the Winchester ground pretty well with Sam and Dean. I really hope they being JDM into the mix this season anyway. If we’re getting Bobby, it would be really nice to see John again.

Comment by rowan77 – August 5, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had the same thought when I saw the headline, “Just in time for John Winchester to come back…” :)

Comment by Brooke – August 5, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It might be interesting to have John come in and evaluate where his boys are at these days. Their actions and all of that. Do they size up to the John Winchester standards or have they bent the rules too many times? And in the end, do they even really care? Dean isn’t just his father’s follower anymore. Sam has let go of the anger. So if John started acting like John, how would they react to him now?

Of course, they couldn’t keep him around. But there might be a way to explore that idea.

Comment by Drew – August 5, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Winchester as The Big Bad this year.

Comment by Christian Wieneke – August 5, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! I was just going to type this, he seriously needs to make a few trips back to Supernatural. I especially want him to meet Cas, lol!

Comment by Ella – August 5, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be awesome! I’d love for John to come back and meet Cas too!

Comment by Lee – August 5, 2013 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see I’m not the only one hoping for a Big Daddy Winchester return. Get the family back together again, with Bobby and Cas included. (before someone else hires him again)

Comment by A fan – August 8, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural. Sam isn’t looking the best these days. Maybe its time for good old dad to come back.

Comment by jdmfan – November 28, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I’m a little worried about Da Vinci’s Demons… no show on Starz passes through season 2 or season 3

Comment by Luis – August 5, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spartacus was on for four. Blood and Sand, Gods of the Arena, Vengeance, and War of the Damned.

Comment by Michael Sacal – August 5, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should be worried. I like the show too but it dropped heavily from the premiere.

Comment by David – August 6, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo! Just when the show was finding its stride. Goodbye Starz. Came for Torchwood, stayed for Magic City.

Comment by Scott – August 5, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed.

Comment by Eliza – August 5, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t very good anyway.

Comment by Austin – August 5, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry you have my first name. I enjoyed “Magic City.” Everyone has an opinion, you know the rest of saying. I hope it happens. Never say never.

Comment by A.J. – January 26, 2014 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising…it was BORING! I tried to watch, but I’m not sure I would have continued even if JDM had done all of his scenes nude.

Comment by Lana – August 5, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lana and Austin must be 4 ! To make a statement like they did.

Comment by lorinda – September 3, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As im awaiting final episode for this season that news is a bummer. I am a BIG fan of Magic and love all the cast including Ben..That’s bad news…..sigh deeply

Comment by d j – August 5, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised Starz decided to cancel Magic City. The show never really took off with the viewers or critics.

Comment by Jared – August 5, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show was really boring. Tried to watch the first season but the only entertaining part of the show was the nudity and it was usually from unknown bit players, which makes it less entertaining.

Comment by JWH – August 5, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like Starz is saving the budget for Outlander. i know a lot of women salivating for the adventures of Jamie. At least Jessica Marais can go back to being blond now

Comment by blatch – August 5, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Magic city is one of the few intelligent dramas on TV. I subscribed to STARZ just because of Magic City. Say it ain’t so!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick to my stomach. Please please no no no no bring MAGIC CITY back!!!!!!!!! Ike Evans and Sid Raskin both ROCK!!!!!!!!

I want my MAGIC CITY!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Deborah Gestner – August 5, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only way I will keep starz is for them to bring back Magic City!

Comment by Diane Geswein – August 20, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you!!!!! I loved it!!!

Comment by Avelyne – September 3, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Getting rid of Stars !! Maybe if enough people git rid of a channel things will change. So everyone quit bitching and stop watching !

Comment by lorinda – September 3, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree Im not watching Starz if they don’t bring Magic City back

Comment by Pat – September 6, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED MAGIC CITY!! Great cast, acting, writing,& storyline. It’s sad that any shows with a hint of intelligence get cancelled. Bring MC back!!

Comment by Paula – February 6, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad. My husband and I love this show!!! This has been the best show since the Sopranos!! Now what are we suppose to watch

Comment by Sherri Maki – August 5, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How will we know what happened

Comment by Sherri Maki – August 5, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please this can’t be true. Just hot into the show. Should not take it off was so very juicy, corrupt and warped. My family loved it so hyped to see next season after finale.

Comment by Lgarcia – August 13, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is crazy. This was the best show on TN since The Sopranos. Come on guys bring it back!

Comment by Brizman – August 15, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting your show on Starz is the worst decision ever for any creator. Except for Head Cases 3 and Spartacus’ 3½ seasons, all 6 other original shows have ended after a maximum of two seasons.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – August 5, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why am i not surprised by this decision. This network couldn’t care less about the fans and always seems to cancel shows which are in their prime. This show is an intelligent one and its such a shame more quality shows get cancelled.

Comment by greysfan – August 5, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, that is it for me and Starz. First Boss and now Magic City. You get really involved in a series and they yank it on you. Back to Showtime and HBO for me.

Comment by Terry – August 5, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad decision on STARZ part. Excellent show finally finding its audience and stride. Lots of Friday night magic city parties to watch every episode. Now lots if disappointed viewers. I am cancel STARZ

Comment by Susan – August 6, 2013 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was auto correct for canceling. Sorry

Comment by Susan – August 6, 2013 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed by this news. Hoping JDM returns to Supernatural in some capacity because man does that show need HELP! Starz will lose me completely if Da Vinci’s Demons is cancelled next year. I’m madly in love with that show.

Comment by scorpionglow – August 6, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed. However, it’s not surprising. The show never got high praise from critics; and, I barely saw it on social media sites

Comment by Mila – August 6, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Starz would commit to 3 seasons on their new series, maybe add a few more episodes to each season, not make a final evaluation on a series during a summer run, and do a better job of promoting, maybe they would get the results they are seeking and stop disenfranchising it’s viewers. This show deserves better than this.

Comment by Rod – August 6, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched an episode, great looking people, horrible acting.

Comment by CC – August 6, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show and its locale and the amazing cars. Very sad that it’s ending but I guess it didn’t get the ratings and the cost was too high. A real shame.

Comment by Bob – August 6, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! Poor JDM!!! What a great actor. Loved him on Greys Anatomy too. So disappointed they cancelled Magic City. He really made the show!!

Comment by Margie – August 8, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife and I have never been this upset about a show getting canceled in our lives! This show helped us get through Spartacus withdrawals. It is entertaining, riveting, great acting, great cars and god what a history lesson. Somebody blew this one.
    Wait a second here, so somebody at Starz thinks Young Leonardo and the White Queen are better shows than Magic City. I think somebody need’s to give up the medical Marijuana.

Comment by Stew – August 10, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was amazing. I may have to cancel my subscription to STARZ/

Comment by sean – August 10, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am done with Starz. Magic City was the only reason my wife and I added Starz to our cable package. Canceling the show before the whole story could be told a waste of the actors’ talent and viewers’ time. Bringing about the premature end of this brilliant, entertaining and well written show is all I need to drop Starz from my lineup and never look back.

Comment by Ramirez – August 10, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Starz, bad decision. Directv, pick this show up and save another great show

Comment by karla moser – August 11, 2013 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know who makes these decisions at STARZ, but this is it for me. I will cancel my subscription with STARZ. One of the best shows to come around (Magic City), in a very long time, and it’s done. Very Upset over this. My wife and I loved the show. It had a very good following. Great Cast, Great Story Line. I’m switching back to HBO, Im hoping some other cable company will pick up Magic City.

Comment by Ralph – August 11, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was the reason why I even watched the starz channel.

Comment by alain picado – August 11, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so in love with Ike…he is melted butter drizzled over baked cinnamon sweet buns with a side of sex on the beach ! How dare you idiots remove him from the screen of my dreams and the city of Magic. This show was a Masterpiece!!!! And please tell me that Judi Silver did not die. She is Tinkerbell incarnate.

Comment by Scarlett Kisses – August 11, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tinkerbell was a perfect description of her character to me also!

Comment by Tatlo2 – August 13, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT??? I LOVE THAT SHOW!!

Comment by ina holiday – August 12, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They did the same thing with BOSS!!! You get involved in these shows and then poof they’re gone. Not nice.

Comment by Michele Simon – August 12, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t let Magic City die. Best show on television. Starz spent all this money on sets but horrible PR. Starz you should be ashamed at yourself as a company. You will also be sorry when you see how far this show goes elsewhere. Sad to hear of the horrible speed bump. Keep your heads up Magic City cast,writers, and everyone involved. Some things have a funny way of working themselfs out.

Comment by Joe C – August 12, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t get it. It was good show. A lot better than others currently running. Starz just doesn’t know how to promote its shows. Boss was another gripping political drama with great acting and yet they canned that too. The producers and writers of these shows should leave Starz and shop there wears at a stronger network that will give them a chance.

Comment by Brett – August 12, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s soooooo bad…. love this show…. booo for starz!

Comment by rose – August 13, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I subscribed to starz was for magic city. Sad to see the show go. Guess my money will be spent else where now. As far as JDM I think he is a great actor. Would enjoy seeing him in more films. I too do like supernatual, but feel its time for him to let that part of his career go. Although I would not be against him going back. (Will miss Magic City)

Comment by Tatlo2 – August 13, 2013 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Tatlo2 – August 13, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Magic City back! This is the only reason we also subscribed to starz. My husband and I are beyond disappointed. In this world of mediocrity (Kardashian-style), it is so rare to see wonderful talent, an intricate plot and historical significance tied together in an enjoyable TV show.

Comment by Joyce – August 14, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First they cancelled BOSS and now they cancelled Magic City, both superbly produced and performed shows that they should have used to build upon instead of taking down. All you do is loose viewer confidence in future shows when you pull the plug on quality tv instead of supporting it, audiences never forgive and never forget. We invest time every week watching these shows and its a slap in the face to us when you pull a show without giving it a season to properly conclude its story.

Comment by Ceejay – August 16, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Magic City is superb entertainment. Bring it back!!!! Find a new channel that will truly appreciate the caliber of Magic City.

Comment by Marlene – August 17, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First time I have ever really gotten absorbed into a show on Starz and it was through word of mouth because there was little to no advertising. After watching two seasons on demand in the last month, I’m disappointed there won’t be a third. The plot was getting better and hopefully someone out there will see the potential and pick up this show on another network and do it justice to the amazing actors, writers, directors, producers and other employees who make it all come together. What a shame…. Won’t be coming back to Starz if this is how they do business. Back to HBO and Showtime.

Comment by mahai – August 18, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointing. Danny Huston was the most wicked bad guy to come along in many a Miami moon. We were looking forward to season three – now it is not to be.
    Thanks to everyone involved in making Magic City the great entertainment that it was.

Comment by Rick Sand – August 19, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh, I loved that show and I cannot believe they ended it. It wasn’t as good at Sopranos but since I like Mad Men A LOT as well, I started watching this one. Now its off….well that is just great, Starz. Oh, and I have a freeview of Starz for 3 months, but I will NOT be keeping it once it ends. Idiots…..

Comment by BoomingOnion – August 20, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why on earth would you cancel the BEST show on television?????? I will never watch Starz EVER again!!!!!!

Comment by Maira – August 20, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could have given it a fitting conclusion. Now what the heck is gonna happen. Does Ben go after Ike. Is Ike’s son sticking it to his wife. What the hell is going on.

Comment by Tony Gucci – August 26, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I KNOW RIGHT. JUST WHEN I GOT TO THE GOOD PARTS

Comment by SHELLZ – March 18, 2014 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never understand why this show would get cancelled while other shows that are so incredibly dumb keep running for years! Were the ratings so poor? If that is the case, and I have to assume it is, then I have to ask: What is wrong with people? What is wrong with our country? Are we so dull at this point that all we watch is Jerry Springer? Or stupid 20-something-year-old girls that look gross and act like they are on drugs 24/7??? Are we too lazy to move our brain a little, think once in a while and try to follow a really interesting story that keeps us going for weeks and weeks? Was this show too good and too sophisticated for us? Guess so! I can’t even begin to express how upset I am. I have cancelled my Starz subscription over this! I think Starz should get cancelled all together! We would all be better off! They just lost one more rating due to their ignorance. Even Starz was too lazy to move their brains a little. This show was too good for Starz! It’s as simple as that!

Comment by Steffen – August 27, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An excellent show, one of the best, it will be sadly missed. It was getting me through the painful loss of Southland, another amazing well acted and under appreciated show. I had that stomach churning sickly feeling with both of these on hearing the bad news, and also with Brotherhood starring Jason Issacs, a superb often violent, well acted, truly gripping series. Its a good thing Breaking Bad manged to pull a few sheep like tv watchers away from their reality tv, CSI and Law and Order , and get itself the attention it deserved.

Comment by Ade – August 30, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By far the best show on cable, more action and intrigue than the Soprano’s. I’m very disappointed that the show is being canceled with so many loose ends. I really hope Starzz reconsiders.

Comment by Tony B – September 1, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post