Exclusive Dexter First Look: [Spoiler's] Return Sends Deb Into an Emotional Tailspin

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

It’s one step forward and two very emotional steps back for Deb in this Sunday’s Dexter, when — Spoiler Alert!Hannah’s surprise return leaves the sometimes unstable P.I. reeling.

RELATED | Dexter Season 8 Series Finale — Deb and Dex Reunited?

The following first look at the departing Showtime saga’s next installment (airing at 9/8c) finds Deb and Dex plotting to rid themselves of Yvonne Strahovski’s poisonous Hannah McKay. “I don’t want to deal with this,” a devastated Deb declares. “I want her gone.”

Press PLAY below to watch more of the aftermath of Hannah’s comeback, then hit the comments with your thoughts and theories: Why is she back? And should she be offed?

Loading video...

Comments (16)

• I’m so glad Hannah’s back. Injects much needed excitement and tension.

Comment by lev – August 5, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh, the possibilities: this could be kill # 1 for Dexter’s young apprentice….

Comment by Lea – August 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannah’s character is so obnoxious. The writers put so little effort into making us care about her. She just showed up, Dexter had sex with her instead of killer her…and Poof! They are in LUV.

I felt like the writers just tossed this character in and gave us a Dexter voice over to explain that “this was love:. If this was a Disney movie, where the main character sings to the audience to let us know they are in love, that would work better. Their whole relationship was so unearned and boring on top of all the rest…

Hannah is just last season’s Dr. Vogel, this random character who becomes massively important to the main character for absurd, roundabout reasons.

I dunno…I wish Deb could have killed Hannah instead of La Guerta.

Comment by Anon – August 5, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is she not important to Dexter’s character development? Her introduction wasn’t for some “absurd, roundabout reason”. She was a woman who for the first time Dexter felt this real connection with. He was able to open up to her and have her know who he was and what he did and she was a woman who could accept that because she was a killer and a psychopath herself. Hannah was Dexter’s first real emotional and romantic connection to another human being. With Rita, it started out as a cover to hide his true identity and then it was a companionship sort of thing. He was fond of Rita, but he never loved her the way he loved Hannah.
      I wouldn’t consider Dr. Vogel some random character either. She was the piece of the puzzle that was missing. She gave a further insight into Dexter’s history. How the code came about? She’s this sort of accepting maternal figure that has resurfaced in Dexter’s life. Dexter hasn’t really had that type of person in his life.
      These two characters, IMO, have significance to the story. I think the definition of a random character would be Bethany Joy Lenz’s character. Although, I do find that there is something quite odd about her character and it has me a bit intrigued

Comment by A – August 5, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her, I love her, I love her so much. I cannot wait for Hannah’s return.

Comment by erin – August 5, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope Hannah is more interesting this time around. I’m very unmoved by the coupling of her and Dexter and am not rooting for them in any way, but if she takes the story to a meaningful place, then let’s go. I just don’t want her to be a wedge between Deb & Dexter AGAIN. Been there, done that.

Comment by Brigette – August 5, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Dexter easily decides to kill Hannah. No regrets. If he had killed Trinity the first time, Rita would be alive. He won’t risk that happening with Deb. I’m thinking it saves them from bringing in another big bad for Dex to vet and kill (he can’t not kill for 6 weeks and who wants to have to sit through more set ups of bad guys). We already know Hannah needs to be taken out to satisfy the code.
    We only have 6 short weeks to bring Dexter’s story full circle, which I am thinking would make Harrison a likely budding sociopath, since he and Dexter were both “born in blood.”
    Also – know one knows yet, how much of Rita’s death that Harrison witnessed. It could make for a nice little time jump from the penultimate episode to the finale… And set us up for the potential spin off, “Harrison.”

Comment by DarkDefender – August 5, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I can’t have more Sarah Walker, I will definitely settle for Hannah McKay. Love Yvonne Strahovski!!

Comment by A – August 5, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the Hannah character. I wish they would have brought Lumen back. She and Dex made a good couple.

Comment by Heathers – August 6, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do guest stars on Dexter ALWAYS generate so much debate ? I think not ! Whether you hate Yvonne’s Hannah McKay (presumably Debra lovers) or love her (what’s NOT to like ?) she certainly gets things moving ! Personally I was hoping Yvonne would play an “ice-maiden” role who was a match for Dexter and was initially upset at her “girl friend” role. However Series 7 Episode 12 showed Hannah’s true character and I love the way she turns up in Series 8 getting her revenge on Dexter and Debra WITHOUT actually killing them ! I hope Yvonne survives the Series – I’m not looking forward to see her put to death – and (wishful thinking) is involved in a Dexter spin off. I can dream !!

Comment by GROMIT35 – August 7, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i bet Hannah is another patient study of Dr. Vogel’s- maybe even a study of her & Dexters relationship- both prior & current times. OR** Maybe she is Vogel’s daughter or daughter of Vogel & Harry (or Harry’s daughter w/another woman- dex & deb’s 1/2 sibling

Comment by jeanne – August 7, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannah is Hannah. Beautiful and an excellent actress. But the tension she creates is really between herself and Deb. Despite everything Deb still longs for Dexter and like two female lions they are going to fight over the male. I would not be surprised if Deb kills Hannah, and copies how her brother does his rights when he kills a monster.

Comment by curasarion – August 7, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT STORYLINE POTENTIAL FOR A SHOCKING FINALE!!!!

Comment by EDWARD SHIRLEY JR. – August 8, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he doesn’t kill Hannah. I actually like them together.

Comment by Mikael – August 8, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post