Ellen DeGeneres Set to Host 2014 Oscars: Are You Excited? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards

Ellen Degeneres Oscars HostEllen DeGeneres is thanking the Academy. The funnywoman and daytime talk show host announced via Twitter this morning that she’s been tapped to host the 2014 Oscars.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, New Girl, Glee, Castle, Flash, NCIS: LA, Scandal, SVU and More

The gig will mark DeGeneres second time as Academy Awards emcee: She first played host of the show back in 2007.

“We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars,” said producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, in a release. “As a longtime friend, we had always hoped to find a project for us to do together, and nothing could be more exciting than teaming up to do the Oscars. There are few stars today who have Ellen’s gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity.”

DeGeneres received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program for her first Oscar hosting gig.

The Academy Awards will be broadcast live on Oscar Sunday, March 2, 2014 on ABC.

Comments (43)

• YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment by TJ – August 2, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nooooooooooooooo

Comment by Nick C – August 2, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely YESSSSSSSSSS!

Comment by JCK – August 2, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This works only if Kate McKinnon from SNL host as Ellen.

Comment by Luke – August 3, 2013 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Approve!

Comment by schu – August 2, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. I wonder if she’ll jump out and scare people and send some of the actors into the audience, telling them what to say in their ears? ;)

Comment by Kim R – August 2, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be so cool!! :D

Comment by dax – August 2, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news, I love Ellen!

Comment by Jules – August 2, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Comment by dax – August 2, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NPH denied again?!

Comment by lariet50 – August 2, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Ellen! But I was secretly hoping it would be Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, they rocked the Golden Globes :) But Ellen will be great too!!

Comment by Cottage101 – August 2, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were hysterical that night! I hope Ellen can match up for the Oscars!

Comment by Tony – August 2, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My guess is that they will stick with the golden globes for as long as they want to. It works perfectly for them – drinking, light mood, tv and movie actors. I could see the Oscar’s not responding the same way to the two of them, they are far more serious than Amy or Tina would make them. It is a good move to stick with comedians for the Oscars. I am happy about this.

Comment by Elizabeth – August 2, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… it isn’t Neal Patrick Harris… I am still excited! And anyways, it wouldn’t be fair if he hosted every single award show.

Comment by Dan (Haleyloonie) – August 2, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could only be more excited if it were Tina and Amy! Great choice!

Comment by Jen – August 2, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was cute the first time, loved the bit of her asking Spielberg to take a photo & Goodmamas

Comment by Sara – August 2, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stale, safe, boring. Must be the Oscars.

Comment by Steven – August 2, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, perhaps you’d prefer another Anne Hathaway/James Franco trainwreck? Or some more of Seth Macfarlane being gross AND unfunny simultaneously?

Safe is an ideal quality in an Oscars host.

Comment by Paul – August 2, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I prefer the memorable over the forgettable and generic.

Comment by Steven – August 2, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boring was my first thought too. She’s funny, warm and completely unexciting. It’s supposed to be the biggest entertainment event of the year and they pull out someone I can snooze to during a sick day in front of the couch.

Comment by Diane Raetz – August 2, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited? no. Relieved? absolutely.

Comment by Paul – August 2, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the “Meh” choice? Ellen will probably do OK, but I never thought she was as funny as she seems to think she is. She at least should be an improvement on this year.

Comment by Larc – August 2, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Meh…that’s my vote. It’s not that she isn’t funny per se but there’s something about a 50+ woman jumping out and scaring people or having adult staff members dress up in large animal costumes and try and scare her guests that…irritates me. A lot. I’ve stopped watching her show because of the childish stuff. I would have preferred a more adult host for sure.

Comment by Kim R – August 2, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I like Ellen, and I thought the first time she did it, she was “adequate.” Not outstanding, certainly not terrible either, but it was just ‘good.’ Nothing special, but she’ll be fine.

Comment by Paul – August 2, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen is a little Pablum. NPH would have been interesting.

Comment by Yo – August 2, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Kimmel get a crack at hosting. His humor’s a little edgier than the more bland stand-bys without being as polarizing as someone like MacFarlane (even though I didn’t have a problem with him). But maybe ABC doesn’t want to sacrifice his post-Oscars special.

Comment by bluto18 – August 2, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be wonderful! I love Ellen, but agree with those saying she is the safe pick. If they want to appeal to a younger audience and build some excitement for the show, this is not the route. Jimmy Kimmel would be quite fun to watch and I must be the ONLY person who actually enjoyed Seth MacFarlane. He was definitely better than Franco/Hathaway…

Comment by eileen – August 2, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I will actually watch the Oscars this year for the first time since…the last time she hosted!!! I don’t normally watch the Oscars because none of my movies are ever nominated (I am more an MTV Movie Awards kind of guy).

Comment by alistaircrane – August 2, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t approve. They should try to get Eddie Murphy he is much more charismatic or Hugh Jackman again I loved when he hosted.

Comment by Pati – August 2, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time.

Comment by Lois Benton – August 2, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you mean…again?

Comment by TL – August 2, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes. I thought she was one of the best hosts in the past ten years. I’d like to see her and Whoopie Goldberg together, actually.

Comment by Lois Benton – August 3, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was really hoping for Jamie Foxx.

Comment by DanOregon – August 2, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooo. Bring back Seth McFarlane, he was the best Oscar host in years.

Comment by Benjamin Lister – August 2, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m voting for the “meh” too

Comment by TL – August 2, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the most part I just don’t find her very entertaining. Would have preferred someone else. Almost anyone else. But I guess there are worse choices.

Comment by Kristina – August 2, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course i’m excited! This is really great news! NPH hosting the Golden Globes and Ellen the Oscars. Amazing!!

Comment by t86 – August 2, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • opss..i mean, NPH hosting the Emmys* :D

Comment by Thiciane Diniz – August 2, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris should host every awards show!

Comment by Mary – August 2, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love Ellen! i think this might be the reason to watch Oscars this time! ;D

Comment by trainwreck – August 2, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s not bad…..but was DEFINITELY hoping for NPH.

Comment by Ella – August 2, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally someone who can make us LOL. She’s a perfect OSCAR host love her. Can’t wait

Comment by Moni Subic – August 3, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post