Parks and Recreation Shocker! Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe to Exit NBC Comedy In Season 6

Rob Lowe Rashida Jones Leaving Parks And RecreationIn literally shocking news, Ann Perkins and Chris Traeger are leaving Pawnee.

Parks and Recreation staples Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe will depart the critical darling in its sixth season, sources confirm to TVLine.

As first reported by Buzzfeed, the pair will leave in the February sweeps-timed 13th episode of the NBC comedy’s upcoming run.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to All That’s New for 2013-14

No reason for the duo’s departure has been given, but it’s safe to assume their characters will be written off the canvas together: As executive producer Mike Schur notes in a statement, Ann and Chris are currently in the process of having a baby.

“The news about Rob and Rashida is true — they will be leaving the show after the 13th episode of the upcoming season six,” Mike Schur says. ” We’ve been working on their storyline (on and off) for four seasons now, and heading into this year, with the two of them contemplating parenthood, it felt like a natural time to move them into the next phase.

“We absolutely love both Rashida and Rob, and will be sad to see them go.  Rashida was one of the very first people we knew we wanted in the cast, and as important as Ann is to Leslie (and vice-versa), she’ll certainly never be far from Pawnee.  Rob we initially thought we could only have for six or eight episodes, and we couldn’t be happier that he will have stuck around for 75.”

Schur continues, “They are wonderful, funny, committed actors, they’ve been a huge part of the Parks and Rec family, and we think we have a great Pawnee send-off in the works for them.”

RELATED | Parks and Recreation: Find Out Who’s Been Cast as Ron Swanson’s Doppelganger!

This isn’t the first time Lowe has left a series before the end of its run. The actor famously walked away from The West Wing during Season 4, on the heels of a salary dispute/decreased airtime. (“It has been increasingly clear, for quite a while, that there was no longer a place for Sam Seaborn on The West Wing,” he said in a statement at the time.)

Jones has been part of Parks since its April 2009 debut, while Lowe came aboard the sitcom in the final leg of Season 2.

Parks and Recreation‘s London-set, hour-long premiere airs Sept. 26.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview

1. Kalee says:

It was bound to happen with Rob Lowe since it seems he’s never satisfied on a show and keeps leaving and his character was eh, but Ann/Rashida Jones leaving? NNNNNNOOOOOO

2. Daniel says:

Rob Lowe never finishes a series

3. Midori says:

Rob Lowe really has issues with staying on TV shows.

And to me during The West Wing issue he just came across as an immature jackass who was crying because he was no longer ever going to be the center of the show (liek he was planned to before series pickup).

• liz says:

I’ve always been glad Sorkin & Co kept to their guns on West Wing. They decided the show needed a different creative direction and stuck with that decision even when Lowe complained. And its really tacky on Lowe’s part that he was upset because it turned into an ensemble show, instead of all about Sam.

• Midori says:

Exactly. In the begging the main people were going to be Sam and Mandy. He should be thankful he didn’t go to Mandyland.

Then a few years later he wanted a raise above where everyone else was getting, and it was like 100,000 more an episode. They said they couldn’t do that and he had a fit.

I like him as an actor, but he comes off as an egomaniac brat in real life. Did I miss him on West Wing? Sure, but I got over him being gone after a few episodes, and didn’t really miss him at all.

• liz says:

They did write Mandy out pretty quickly lol (which I was kinda bummed about because I like Moira Kelly quite a bit) but Lowe should have been happy that they kept Sam longer than that. And it wasn’t like he was relegated to the sidelines or boring storylines. The point was that it was an ensemble and each of the main characters got great plots and had pretty much the same amount of screentime. Perhaps except for Sheen – but he played the President, I’d expect him to have “cooler” stuff to do.
          His hissy fit was ridiculous and ya, I did miss Sam when he left, but I thought the story they wrote him out on was actually fitting to the character. And I ended up liking Will a lot more than Sam and I dont think I would have like the Santos plot as much as I did if it had been with Sam instead of Josh (who was much better for it – cause he wanted to be Leo) so it worked out in the end lol.

4. Jon says:

Not sad to see Rob Lowe leave, but I will miss Rashida.

5. Kaitlyn says:

I’m not at all surprised that Rob Lowe is leaving. He left both The West Wing and Brothers & Sisters before their runs ended. I’m not too upset about his departure. I like Chris, but he’s not integral to the show. I am however quite surprised to see Rashida leaving. I assume she wants to work more on film and her production company, but I really hate to see her go. It’s difficult to imagine Parks and Rec without Leslie and Ann’s friendship.

6. Lena says:

Not all-together surprised about Rob Lowe’s exit, as he has a tendency not to stick with tv shows for more than a few seasons but I’m sad to see him go. Chris is far from my favorite character and he lifts out rather easily but I still enjoyed him. Rashida’s exit is much worse, imo, as I can’t imagine Leslie without Ann. The Leslie-Ann friendship is a vital part of the show and I don’t know how the dynamic will work without Ann’s straight-woman to everyone else’s crazy. Perhaps they could bump Lucy Lawless up to series regular and have Diane fill in as the ‘normal’ one in this dysfunctional family.

• Spencer says:

I completely agree Lena. Rashida is the biggest surprise here, and I’m honestly surprised Rob stayed on for as long as he did. The Leslie-Ann relationship was sorely missing from season 5 and I hope they have time to make that up before Ann leaves.

• CR says:

From what I understand is that they want more Lucy Lawless, but between her other commitments and the fact that she lives in New Zealand, it’s hard for them to get more time with her. I would have hoped with her character having a made would mean more screen time with her, but the idea of Ron Swanson navigating the trials of parenthood alone would make for comedy gold. (By alone I don’t mean being a single father, just that he be the primary care giver).

7. I think the writers really messed up with Rob and Rashida’s characters the last few seasons and they really have no other choice. There just isn’t much left you can do with either character and with the shows ratings just being okay I’m sure the show was getting ready to get rid of some of the cast. These two were probably both paid fairly well and were more expendable than Amy, Nick, Adam, Aziz, Aubrey and Chris.

8. Spencer says:

As the world’s biggest P&R fan (don’t test me on this), I can safely say that I am devastated. However, I think the show will continue to be strong and I truly believe their goodbye episode will be beautiful and touching. I’m glad to hear this is planned and not just the actors saying that they’ve ‘had enough’. They will be missed, but I have full faith in the show and writers. Come to think of it, I’m really surprised that Chris Pratt is still on board considering his rise to stardom, same with Aubrey.

9. Gina says:

It’s been said a million times, but I’m so sad to see Leslie lose her best friend. But she’ll have Ben to get her through it.

I’m sure Chris is going to get a job offer somewhere and he and Ann will leave to raise their kid.

10. liz says:

Hollywood needs to stop casting Rob Lowe in tv shows. He *always* leaves after some hissy fit. West Wing, Brothers & Sisters, and now this. He’s unreliable, constantly leaving writers and fans in the dust.

11. Jaye says:

DAMMIT, JERRY!

12. Kellie says:

Boo! :(

13. Anna says:

Now that Ann won’t be there, I’m hoping they cast Maya Rudolph as Leslie’s new friend.

14. Allyson says:

Why can’t Rob Lowe stay with one show till the end? He always ends up leaving before the final season such as West Wing, Brothers&Sisters, and now Parks&Recreation. Anyone seeing a pattern here? Is he difficult to work with or does he get bored easily?

• Spencer says:

I think he just gets bored. It’s understandable though. It would be hard to keep playing the same character over and over for so long, it takes a really dedicated person to do it and even then it can get rough. The whole point of acting is to bust out and try new parts and experiment with crazy characters, and being set in a tv show with the same basic character for so many years can get really hum-drum on any actor. I completely understand his decision.

15. Josh says:

So it’s been confirmed it’s a creative decision :(.

16. Ben says:

I’m glad they’ll be around for part of the season, but I’ll miss them both terribly!

17. cjeffery7 says:

OMG this is like Best Friends Forever ALL OVER AGAIN. except one half of the gal pals will remain… best friendless… *~*MY HEART*~*

18. Sandra says:

I’m just so saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad :( And this comes as such a big surprise as well. UGH. Everything hurts :(((

19. Mackenzie says:

I understand and respect their reasons for leaving, Rob’s getting rave reviews for his performance in Soderbergh’s Behind The Candelabra, I’ve read a lot of reviews claiming his presence to be “scene stealing”. He probably wants to get back into films. It’s a great show but Rashida’s always been too charismatic of an actress to spend 8 months of the year appearing as a supporting player on a sitcom. Ann Perkins is a wonderful character but she deserves better as an actress. She’s also a talented screenwriter, too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aubrey Plaza and Chris Pratt (who won’t be appearing in all eps this season dud to filming GotG) soon announced they were too leaving. Aubrey’s more than just an April Ludgate. The downside to having such a talented cast is that better opportunities are likely to present themselves.

• tripoli says:

Aubrey Plaza is as one note as the get. She is the same character in everything she does. I for one would be thrillled if she left the show. She is the worst.

20. Anthony says:

Just promote RETTA already, she deserves way more screentime and character development !

21. Christen says:

Don’t forget that left brothers & sisters early too!! He breaks my heart every time. If I were a producer I would never cast him!

22. Little Scarf Girl says:

Aww man! :( Granted, I never cared for Ann much and while Chris is really funny, he doesn’t exactly add a whole lot to the show on an episode-to-episode basis, so I’m sure the show will survive without them. But it’s sad to see parts of the cast starting to leave…

23. B says:

Bring back Mark!

24. form creator says:

Consumer products and services market is increasingly
    getting competitive with each marketer vying with
    other to grab the customer attention. To get me going with preparing my own building drawings I got from the Thai Government website a number of ready made Thai building drawings in pdf and Auto
    – CAD format. Microsoft Access is more than just a database application.