TVLine Items: Emmys Plan Cory Monteith Tribute, Marc Blucas Cops Blue Bloods Role and More

cory monteithThe 2013 Emmys will feature an homage to late Glee star Cory Monteith, our sister site Deadline has confirmed. However, “It’s too early” to know what exactly that tribute will look like, the awards show’s executive producer Ken Ehrlich shares.

“If Cory had passed away in March, we’d have had four months to look at this with a little more perspective,” he explained. “The reason we’re getting all of this discussion now is because he passed away two weeks ago. But we are going to deal with it.”

RELATED | Ryan Murphy Remembers Cory Monteith, Confirms Finn Tribute Episode

The awards ceremony may honor Monteith — who passed away on July 13 from a toxic mix of alcohol and heroin — with a musical tribute separate from the annual In Memoriam clip reel.

The Emmys air Sunday, Sept. 22 on CBS.

In other TV news…

• Marc Blucas (Necessary Roughness, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) will guest-star in Blue Bloods‘ upcoming season, HuffPost TV reports, playing a movie star shadowing Danny while researching a new role.

• Arrested Development dad Jeffrey Tambor is coming to Raising Hope next season as a Natesville resident who pops up in the lives of each Chance family member, per The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | 2013 Cable Renewal Scorecard — Which TV Shows Have Been Renewed or Cancelled?

• President Barack Obama will make his sixth appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno next Tuesday, Aug. 6.

• ABC has renewed Celebrity Wife Swap for a 13-episode second season, per Deadline.

• Community‘s fourth season is available on DVD Aug. 6, and what better way to promote the impending release than with a fun-filled video starring Dean Pelton?

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. karenb says:

While Cory’s passing should be part of the ceremony, let’s not forget that many other people were lost this past year. Such as Larry Hagman, who deserves a very large tribute, beyond a photo in a montage.

• Jenny says:

I agree with you. I am a Glee fan and Finn was my favorite character, but I don’t think the Emmys need to make a special tribute to Cory. That is Glee’s job to do. Larry Hagman would be the type of TV actor that would warrant an individual tribute. Cory should just be included in the usual In Memorium segment of all of those in television we lost this year.

• Amanda says:

James Gandolfini as well.

• Ann says:

I agree. I’m a fan of Cory’s, but Larry Hagman is a tv legend…if Cory gets a separate tribute while Hagman merely gets a 2 second mention in a montage, I would be very angry.

• Kvivik says:

Ken Ehrlich needs a) his head examined and b) his arse kicked.
      The show does not air until September. Give yourself another week or two to sit on that idea.
      I’m sure if you ask Cory’s co-stars, they’ll agree that the In Memorium spot is tribute enough given the true acting legends that passed this year. Larry Hagman and Jean Stapleton deserve a special segment due to their almost 60 years of television history each. Cory only had 9 years. Fandom does not earn a tribute, longevity and success should.

• Cheri says:

I adored Finn and Cory, watched Glee faithfully. But, there are so many actors lost this past year. James Gandolfini, Larry Hagman, Dennis Farina to name a few. Larry Hagman was a notable actor for decades and an icon of a hit show on TV for decades. James Gandolfini was such an acclaimed actor of TV, stage and films. Cory was a well loved and under appreciated actor with so much potential and class that his stardom was just beginning. As much as I loved Cory Monteith I feel that any tributes done at the Emmy’s should be inclusive of all lost actors of this year. I just don’t think if there was a single tribute just for Cory and not each of the other actors lost having their own, that the Emmy’s won’t be representing their actors and their gifts doing their crafts just recognition. In other words, it wouldn’t be fair. I would love for Fox network have an hour long tribute to their fallen star during this season. That would be a classy thing for Fox to do.

• Butters says:

So agree they need to do a separate tribute for Larry Hagman, Jean Stapleton and James Gandolfini. All three of them created very memorable and iconic characters. No offense to the passing of Monteith but his character is not in the same league as JR Ewing, Edith Bunker and Tony Soprano.

• Jill says:

This! As much as I loved Finn/Cory, and he was my favorite, there are bigger names who are legends who deserve their own tribute. Don’t do one stand alone tribute- JR Ewing, Tony Soprano, and Edith Bunker are names that have been around for decades, and all 3 of those characters (and the actors) CHANGED television with their role.

• Patricia says:

None of them are while their show was on the air though. Cory is more important for today, and today’s TV landscape – the 2013 Emmy awards, than any of those actors because they weren’t currently on TV. Besides, Cory’s age makes it all the more tragic.

• Sara says:

It’s totally for the RATINGS & not as a respect for Cory. They want Glee fans, mostly teens who don’t watch Emmys, to tune in.

• Becky says:

Except that won’t help enough. The glee cast has been nominated and even participated in the opening and there was no huge spike

2. Mrs. Peele says:

i know his death is tragic as are all those related to addiction. but tributes are almost accepting what he did as something other than what it was. he choose to continue doing drugs just like the other celebrities – he had more of a life than most people dream of.. he had second chances and chose to continue. he is more important in death because of an addiction than what he could have achieved in life. i had a niece who also died young because of her addiction. it’s the ones they leave behind who suffer.

• Marion says:

I’m very sorry about your niece, but you clearly don’t understand how addiction works. If it was merely self-control and discipline, of course he wouldn’t have passed. It’s a disease–one that must be fought every day, and never, ever goes away. You wouldn’t tell someone whose cancer relapsed that they had messed up their second chance would you?

• james says:

Lol dumbest comment ever… relating drug addiction to cancer. The jackass made his decision to do drugs himself. Therefore it’s his fault he was addicted. I’m pretty sure people don’t choose to get cancer. People dying from drugs isn’t tragic, it’s just a predictable conclusion. I mean people die from addictions all the time and yet only the entertainers are who die from them are considered tragic.

• Marion says:

“people don’t choose to get cancer.”

Tell that to the families of people who chose to smoke and then got lung cancer. Tell that to the people who chose to go tanning and then get melanoma.

There are all kinds of bad decisions people make that lead to medical consequences.

• So a person with metastasized cancer who doesn’t continue chemo, they’re screwing up their second chance. Addiction IS a disease. Do your research

• Alice says:

How can you compare addiction to getting cancer?
        Unlike a cancer relapse, doing drugs again is in the hand of the addict.

My uncle was an addict since his late teens, and he didn’t have money for fancy shmansy rehab facilities this guy had. However, once he realized how his addiction was affecting the people he loved, he used his will power to quit, and has been sober for 17 years.

• Drew says:

Taking the element of free will out of addiction does nobody any good. An addict can choose to be better, and when they take drugs, it is a choice to give in. When you say that it’s a disease and he didn’t have a choice, you’re saying that people can’t get better and that free will plays no part. That is simply not true when it comes to addiction. Unlike other diseases, an addict can bring change upon themselves.
        It’s a struggle, no doubt. It’s not to be taken lightly. But it’s not like cancer at all. To make that comparison doesn’t do justice to the issue of addiction or to cancer.

• Marion says:

I never took the free will out of addiction. My point is that it is more complicated than just CHOOSING not to take drugs, or did you miss the part where I said addiction “must be fought every day, and never, ever goes away”?

I have had multiple people very close to me die of cancer. I know how awful it is. I am also more familiar than I would wish to be with the awfulness of addiction. I know how soul-crushing both of them are, and I also know that it takes more than mere will-power to beat them.

• Drew says:

I agree that addiction is horrible and a lifelong struggle. However, you compared it to cancer, which is something that has nothing to do with free will. It happens because it happens, whether you choose it or not. People can live their entire lives trying to prevent cancer and die at 30 because of it. It’s lightning striking. Addiction is the direct result of choices made by a person (choosing to do drugs the first time is entirely on the person and not any sort of disease)

You compared apples and oranges and I was just pointing that out. If you want to talk about the complexities of addiction, don’t do it by comparing it to cancer.

• S. says:

I feel really sorry for you, Drew. There’s an empathy chip you’re missing. Drug USE is a choice, drug addiction is a disease. Not everybody can just stop if they ‘decide’ to do so. Many desperately want sobriety and can’t get it. Some people are prescribed drugs for a medical problem and get hooked. Some people are in some sort of emotional pain in their life (maybe they suffered abuse, maybe their parents were alcoholic and life was hard so they’re already predisposed and things take off from there) and they are trying to drink or use drugs to make it go away, but hey maybe they’d get therapy if it wasn’t so expensive and didn’t carry such a stigma. They’re trying to numb the problem, and we as a society do not teach coping skills–suck it up isn’t a lesson that works. You don’t know why use happens. It’s not all a bunch of college kids choosing to binge every weekend.

• Mrs. Peele says:

i wouldn’t put cancer in the same category as a person willingly taking drugs. no one ‘takes’ cancer. and you certainly don’t blame them if cancer comes backs. it’s something your body does against you. but putting drugs into it to achieve a ‘high’ is totally different. yes, it is hard to stop. my niece went to rehab several times, but she didn’t care. all she wanted was her fix and did anything to get it. her family supported her and she had nothing going for her like this young man did. please don’t equate a life threatening disease which no one anticipates getting with someone who makes a choice to take life threatening drugs.

3. DJ Doena says:

Call me narrow-minded but should people who died of self-abuse (alcohol, drugs) really get a tribute at all?

• MrMank says:

No, they should not. And not because they’re any worse people than the rest of us. Addicts suffer terribly with the disease, and every day is a struggle. But no, he should not be given a tribute beyond the same In Memoriam that everyone else receives.

• henninggirl says:

I’m betting the more they think on it, the more they’ll back away from a “special tribute”. They may oomph up the In Memoriam in some way, as a lot of high profile people passed away this year. I think what sticks with people, is actually how much those actors are going to have to literally imitate life. And especially Lea Michele, because that show is where they met, fell in love and continued to work, as fictional boyfriend and girlfriend. It’s just really intertwined and so sad. Having to act out Finn being killed off is a level of meta no one should have to go through. But I don’t think he’ll get his own segment.

• Meghan Bouchard says:

• Tim says:

I agree completely. He deserves to be recognized but anything more than that is honestly a disgrace to those others who died.

4. MrMank says:

What on Earth makes Cory Monteith worthy of some sort of special tribute? Don’t get me wrong…I was deeply saddened by his passing, and I mean nothing negative toward his memory. But in a year where we lost both Larry Hagman and James Gandolfini (the latter also WAY too early in life), how do the Emmys justify that??

• the girl says:

Right. A special tribute should be given to someone whose contributions to television were groundbreaking and extraordinary. I’m sorry Finchel fans but Cory Monteith is not that guy.

• Butters says:

so agree

• Patricia says:

Cory Monteith’s was more tragic because he was on the height of TV success and fame. His age is a factor to that tragedy as well. He’s a huge star internationally CURRENTLY while the others have had that success in the past. If Cory Monteith dies 10 years from now when no longer relevant and they there would be no speacial tribe in 2023, but people are still dealing with his death, which was the most painful this year by an actor, generally, I would say. The youth and joy of the Glee and what the show stands for (or used to in the first couple seasons when it was good) makes his passing really sad as well, it was a huge shock for the industry. And on top of that, everyone who came in contact with him from the business seemed to love him.

5. laura meakin says:

Imo his death is one of many this past year he should be remembered as the others will be. He doesn’t imo have the body of work (legacy) that others have to warrent a special tribute. I’m sorry but that’s my feeling.

6. Frank says:

Why is Cory Monteith getting a special tribute??? He killed himself! There are so many great TV personalities that deserve more recognition than him like Larry Hagman, Jean Stapleton, James Gandolfini and so on.

• Mia says:

Why are you spreading that vile rumour that he killed himself? Theere’s no reason to believe it wasn’t an accidental overdose, you heinous jackass.

7. jdbasset says:

I tend to agree with the above people….his death was tragic and sad, but I don’t really feel he was part of showbiz long enough to even merit his own tribute. His contribution was mostly part of a group of talented people, so I am not sure how you could make the tribute solely about him. I also agree that we lost other stars with who had bigger careers this year…

8. Marion says:

I cannot possibly be the only one who’s thought of the “Don’t Stop Believing” link between Monteith and Gandolfini.

9. Magali says:

That Greendale CC recruitment video made my day. Love Jim Rash! Thank you for that :)

10. Alan says:

why should he get a tribute? what about larry hagman and james gandolfini? two men who had much more successful careers and didnt die by self inflicted means. just because his death got extra publicity because of the drugs doesnt mean he should get a special tribute. then again i guess because his death got more publicity the emmys will get more publicity for doing this.

11. Why honor a guy who overdosed with a major tribute? As others have mentioned, Larry Hagman died this year. If ANYONE deserves a major tribute, it’s him. There’s a section of every show where they put up pictures of those that died. That’s good enough for Monteith.

12. Brandie says:

I think it would be cool if they did a mashup of songs he sang on glee, like a clipshow type thing, he was an amazing singer, it would be nice to see a video comprised of him singing.

• hit says:

He was an ok singer. But if glee songs were the backdrop of the memeorim that would be more than enough. I think Lea’s without you would be better them him signing something. But in realtiy he needs nothing more than the mention like everyone else.

13. Amanda says:

Cory was my favorite actor at the moment, but even as a fan, he does not deserve a separate tribute at the Emmys besides the typical segmenent with everyone. He was never even nominated for one. James and Larry deserve separate ones if anything but not Cory. It would probably just be a ploy to get ratings or Lea (and the rest of cast maybe – the media has certainly acted like their grief isnt worth anything so maybe not) there to cry on tv for extra publicity. That is just all kinds of wrong.

14. SoCalMediaSurfer says:

I admired Cory for his work., but I agree, his death was tragic and he deserves to be a part of the memoriam for those who passed this year, he should not be singled out for a special segment, that would make families of the others feel slighted, there were bigger personalities that passed this year, some of cancer, they are my choice for singling out,

15. Ketpiano says:

I liked Cory and its really sad. But looking over the past year the following TV actors died and had more of an impact than Cory:

Gandolfini, Jack Klugman, Jean Stapleton, Larry Hagman, Johnathan Winters…

I could go on. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk because I genuinely feel sad for him and his costars but it becomes a matter of “if you do it for one…” Whitney’s tribute at the Grammys was appropriate. Unfortunately Cory had t achieved that stature yet

16. I agree with a lot of people on here…have Cory be a part of In Memoriam and not be separate.

17. mdbchud says:

Absolutely count me in on the feeling that a “special” tribute is not necessary and would be WAY too much. Legends such as Hagman, Stapleton, Gandolfini, etc could certainly receive a special tribute but not a relative newcomer….regardless of how much Cory was liked. If this happens it just proves the fact that “youth” is all that matters.

• Iris says:

The Emmy’s actually don’t value youth that much. The likes of Emmy Rossum and Tatiana Maslany get subbed for the likes of Maggie Smith and Christine Baranski, which is based on their name. The thing is Cory’s death was relevant for this year of TV, the others are just people who had iconic roles in the past, not the present, so I get why a Cory tribute makes more sense. His death afftects TV this year, and the Emmys are a yearly event that reflects the TV of that year.

18. Ethel says:

Way too much is being made of Cory Monteith’s passing. He was young and can’t even be compared to the stars mentioned in other posts. Why anyone would even think to consider him for a special tribute is mind boggling. Yes, his death was sad and I feel badly for his co-stars and his family but, let’s move on. A simple picture of him in the memoriam segment will be very sufficient

19. the girl says:

I can’t help but think that a special tribute to Cory Monteith might help attract those younger viewers who typically avoid award shows. I hope that’s not why they’re considering it though, because that would be gross.

20. sarah says:

Mark Blucas on Blue Bloods! YEAH!

21. lou says:

I also agree that a special tribute to Corey is not necessary, sorry but he died of an addiction to heroin and alcohol.
    Larry and James should be given a tribute over Cory.

22. alison says:

Realky?! A sixth trip to Leno?! Why does he get treated and act like he is some kind of celebrity, maybe instead of hitting the talk show circuit every chance he gets he should focus on more important issuea?

• Alan says:

because the 10 minutes he takes to do an interview are all important right? public perception is a big part of politics and with good publicity he can get things done better so spending a few minutes on national tv talking about current issues and how the support of the public could help with those issues is something all major politicians do because its part of the job.
      ive got to ask though if he was a republican would you be complaining? because it does sound a bit like you are coming from the opposite viewpoint. (this is coming from a foreigner by the way, i have no stake in american politics)

• alison says:

Nope not a republican, just think there are more important things he could be doing than hitting the talk show circuit. This will be his sixth trio to Leno alone, how much more do we need to know or don’t already know about him and his family? Just think it’s silly and those shows should stick to what they know best, celebrities, not the POTUS

23. SilverTabby says:

Am I the only one that thinks it’s sad Marc Bluca, only has 2 shows to be known for and they are 10 years apart?

Marc Blucas (Necessary Roughness, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

24. jen says:

While I agree that every death is a huge loss, deaths at such a young age, regardless of the cause, hit me harder than someone who has lived a relatively full life. Maybe I see it more from a parent’s POV; but I’m okay with a special tribute. I still get terribly sad when I read about his death. It just seems like such a loss, and such a waste of a promising future.

• Krista says:

@jan-I heard Don’t go breaking my heart on the radio in the car today and I almost had to pull over to stop crying. As a parent and a fan, his death has really upset both me and my kids. Glee’a first episode is on Sept. 26. It will be a sad week for fans whether there is a special tribute at the Emmy’s or not. Just seeing his picture in the regular Memoriam thing is going to make us all bawl at the house. RIP Cory

• Leslie says:

@krista I was in Burger King recently and over the loud speaker I heard the Bruno Mars song that Finn sang to Kurt when Burt married Carol and I burst into tears eating my Whopper Jr! My two daughters (now ages 20 & 16) & I have been Glee fans since the pilot episode aired on May 19, 2009 and we all were lucky enough to see Glee!Live in concert in June 2011. Cory just seemed to shine on stage. I also cry every time I hear Jessie’s Girl.

25. MrsTV says:

I totally agree with many other posters that he should not get anything above and beyond any other actor who passed away this year. With the likes of Larry Hagman, James Gandolfini, Dennis Farina, and Jean Stapleton passing this year, the Emmy producers need to have the proper perspective on this with respect for all!

26. TL says:

If it looks like anything more than the 2-5 seconds other celebs get, then I predict a major backlash. Tread carefully Emmy producers…tread. very. carefully.

27. Ron says:

Cory’s passing was incredibly sad and unfortunate. I don’t want to sound cruel in the way I say this, but what about Larry Hagman and James Gandolfini?!?! Those two did way more for television than Cory did. Perhaps I’m just old school, but I can’t understand a relative TV newbie warranting a special tribute over two historic TV legends.

• jim says:

Don’t forget Jean Stapelton a 3 time emmy winner and eve more nominations. ON a show that had a huge impact on culture.

28. greysfan says:

I’m a glee fan through and through but I think it should be up to the show not the Emmy’s to do a tribute. There were a lot of prominent and a few shock deaths this past year and to be honest i think NBC and the Emmy’s should just let Glee do the tribute its own way. Nothing against Cory but imo we don’t need a separate montage for him. James Gandolfini and Larry Hagman on the otherhand would be fitting.

29. Ashlyn says:

In a year where stars such as Larry Hagman, Jean Stapleton, James Gandolfini, Jack Klugman, Dennis Farina, and Jonathan Winters passed away, it is completely inappropriate to single out Cory Monteith for a special tribute. His passing was sad, but his career didn’t even come close to having the impact as these other actors. James, Larry and Jean, in particular, had a significant cultural impact through the iconic TV characters they played. And Johnathan Winters has repeatedly been recognized as a true inspiration to many of today’s comics. Again, Cory’s passing was tragic, but he should not have anything more than the regular recognition that the In Memory piece provides.

30. MLO says:

I think the Emmys, along with all award shows, are a dying breed and that this is simply a grab at trying to capture a younger demographic. On his acting merits and contribution to television as a whole, Cory Monteith does not deserve a tribue. Never mind bringing into play anything to do with the manner of his death.