ABC Family Renews Switched At Birth, Orders Additional Episodes of Fosters and Twisted

Get More: News, Renewals

switched-at-birth-300Bay & Co. will be back: ABC Family has renewed Switched at Birth for a third season, the network announced Tuesday.

Birth, which is nearing the end of its second season, is “like no other show on television and we are so proud to have it as part of our family,” Kate Juergens, executive VP of original programming and development at ABC Family, said in a statement. “Adding additional seasons and episodes of our returning series spotlights how well our programming resonates with our audience.”

RELATEDExclusive The Fosters Video: Brandon and Callie Return to an Empty House

The network has also ordered additional episodes of its freshman summer series The Fosters and Twisted.

The renewal/extensions come a week after the cabler cancelled Amy Sherman-Palladino’s ballet-themed dramedy Bunheads.

Switched at Birth‘s third season is set to launch in January 2014. The drama currently airs Mondays at 8/7c.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the renewal.

Comments (95)

• yay for Switched at Birth and the Fosters :)

Comment by Elyse – July 30, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeahh love that shows too Go Emmet and Bay, Callie and Brandon

Comment by Vilma – November 25, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever. We’re really behind on Switched and I’m swearing off all new programming from ABC Family, so I might just deleted Switched from the TiVO, too. I’m deeply tired of starting series with ABCF and never seeing decent ends to them.

Comment by lore – July 30, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How does this make sense? The news is about a renewal, why talk about a decent end? Maybe you are upset because they cancelled another low-rated series…

Comment by Babygate – July 30, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong. ABC Family pulls the plug on longer-running series without warning as well, leaving them unresolved. (Kyle XY, Make It Or Break It, etc. etc. etc.) in fact, the only ABC Family series I can ever remember getting a proper ending are Greek and Secret Life. There is absolutely no reason to stick with any ABC Family show, hit or not.

Comment by Et al – July 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The creative cast of MAKE IT OR BREAK IT knew that their shortened third season was going to be their last. If they didn’t make a resolution, that is their fault, not ABC Family’s.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 30, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Secret Life’s end was “eh” at best. I thought it was because no one at ABC Family had ever done one before.

Comment by Jill – July 30, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I loved Kyle XY

Comment by Jennifer – August 6, 2013 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Lying Game is one that was left hanging, I really enjoyed it and all of a sudden it was not coming back.

Comment by Lorraine Wilson Ballard – January 7, 2014 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I was really disappointed with The Lying Game ending as well. ABC sure knows how to reel you in but not keep you on the hook….I hope that they don’t do that with Switched…

Comment by Ashley Johnson – January 29, 2014 06:30 PM PDT
  • “Oh, and in case you forgot…they canceled Bunheads!”

Comment by James – July 30, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay more fosters!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ashley – July 30, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THUMBS UP for more Twisted! The show is really catching on me!

Comment by Maki – July 30, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo!!

Comment by MJ – July 30, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SWITCHED AT BIRTH GOT RENEWED!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

Comment by mia – July 30, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im with you!!!!!!!

Comment by Someone – August 26, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait for Switched at Birth to start again. The last episode I watched was it showed Bay and Emmett hugging and I think kissing in the end.I hope they are getting back together. I hope Bay dumps Ty!

Comment by florida – September 10, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG I soo agree I’m so tired of Bay and Ty, Bay and Emmett FOREVER They definitely belong together. My fav two shows are totally SAB and Twisted! Can’t wait for season 3 of SAB and Season 2 of Twisted!!!

Comment by Mya – November 6, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • is twisted a good show?

Comment by amanda – December 7, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Bay and Emmett make a cuter couple than Bay and Ty! I hope Bay and Emmett get back together! :)

Comment by caitlyn – November 28, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about Switched at Birth! The new episode from last night was FANTASTIC.

And I haven’t started watching The Fosters yet, but I’ve been thinking abut it, and knowing it’s been somewhat renewed as well makes me more interested. :D

Comment by EmilyK – July 30, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think I like Jace. He’s turning out to be an ass. Running around telling people’s business for no reason. Why tell Chef Jeff’s fiancee about Daphne? Daphne told him that in confidence not for him to go run his mouth to other people, Daphne needs to reevaluate who she’s becoming while dating Jace,

Comment by tp – July 30, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG I hate Jace. So does my sister. We rag on him every episode. He’s so ridiculously annoying.

Comment by mia – July 30, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i thought jace and daphne were going to be a great couple because he learned to sign and all and they were great but he turned out to be horrible.

Comment by Naomi – November 13, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait so I just finished watching the last episode of switched at birth. Does all this mean they are making a third season??

Comment by Kendall – November 7, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wish they’d renewed Bunheads instead of ordering more Twisted.

Comment by mia – July 30, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish that also since I started watching sab that’s the only one I will watch
      I am bummed about bunheads.

Comment by lisa wagner – August 1, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whatever Twisted is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kathryn – February 24, 2014 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s great for SAB but I would still like to know what the reason was for cancelling Bunheads. It wasn’t really given a chance. Are the ratings for Twisted that much better? No slight to fans of Twisted. Just curious.

Comment by tp – July 30, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure that a large reason for the cancelation of the show had to do with cost of production and cast where this show could e much cheaper.

Comment by Jake – July 30, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What do you mean, it wasn’t given a chance? First of all, it got its initial run right after a popular ABC Family series. Good time line. Then, despite mediocre at best ratings, it received additional episodes. And again it did badly in the ratings. The show had a chance… more than one! I enjoyed it, but it flopped, plain and simple.

Comment by Alex – July 30, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news yet on renewal of The Client List? Thanks.

Comment by Dianne – July 30, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is ABC Family so they would not have news on the Client List!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lou – July 30, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twisted is doing better than Bunheads in total viewers and demo but it’s basically on par to what The Lying Game was getting ratings wise.

Comment by Jared – July 30, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really was sad to hear that The Lying Game was cancelled. I really liked and was invested in that show. I never missed an episode. I hate when you like a show and it is ended without any resolution.

Comment by Billie Jones – July 30, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love switched at birth. So excited.

Comment by Monie – July 30, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody should watch The Fosters. It’s really good and to me it’s one of the best summer dramas. It even beat Switched At Birth last week because of the shooting episode. And last nights episode was FANTASTIC!

Comment by Kissan – July 30, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. The Fosters is a great show!

Comment by Jill – July 30, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALRIGHT NOW; I AM SO HAPPY FOR SWITCHED AT BIRTH GETTING RENEWED FOR A THIRD SEASON, AND I AM REALLY HAPPY ABOUT THE FOSTERS AND TWISTED, THEY ARE THE BEST. I AM SAD ABOUT THE LYING GAME GETTING CANCELED, IT WAS ALSO A GOOD SHOW TO WATCH!!!

Comment by Diane Jackson – July 30, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m happy that Switched at Birth is renewed for a 3rd season, it’s different than any other show I have watched in the past and currently watch right now….but i’m also sad about The Lying Game being cancelled, i loved the character that Blair Redford played. I wish they would have renewed TLG for another season instead of keeping The Fosters or Twisted, i like both of those shows but i think TLG was wayyyyyyyyyy better!!!

Comment by Maria R – August 11, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad for Switched!im gonna catch up on The Fosters with its marathon Mon.

Comment by Brandy – July 30, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Twisted to be incredibly ridiculous… But that’s why I watch it… Is that wrong?

Comment by Babybop – July 30, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope, I think that line of thinking is what has kept PLL around so long, Summer tv is meant for guilty pleasure shows.

Comment by CR – July 30, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m really trying to stick to watching Twisted but it’s getting harder and harder because it’s sooooo darn slow. The dad gets way too much screentime and he’s very unlikeable so is the terminally selfish Lacey. Plus, I can’t help but think how flat and one-note Kylie Bunbury’s acting is.
      Right now all I want is to find out the reason for Danny killing his aunt, at least give the viewers that much.

Comment by ENAD – July 30, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lacey isn’t unlikeable imo.

Comment by Gee – August 1, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for The Fosters/Twisted! My favourite shows this summer!

Comment by dude – July 30, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to Twisted every week! So happy more episodes have been ordered.

Comment by sarah – July 30, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many more eps of Fosters and Twisted? Is it an additional half season then? Excited about Fosters!!

Comment by Josh Emerson – July 30, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twisted is completely ridiculous, but holy crap Avan Jogia. He is beautiful. Who is this kid? He makes me feel like a dirty old lady.

Comment by Sarah – July 30, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would “like” your post if this was Facebook. I don’t watch Twisted, but I’ve thought the same thing from the commercials!

Comment by Kim (@AD76) – July 30, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Avan Jogia was on Victorious playing Beck but sadly Nickelodeon pulled the plug on the Victoria Justice led series after its “series finale” aired back in February.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 30, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched the first two episodes and got bored, but good god that guy is attractive!

Comment by Lauren – July 30, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL – after this last episode I asked myself, “Why am I watching this again?” and myself answered, “Oh, yeah…because Danny is SOOO PRETTY.”

Comment by Delia – July 31, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m SO glad to hear I’m not the only one. I actually looked him up on imdb to be sure he was legal so I could think he was hot.

Comment by Kelly – August 5, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody watch The Fosters marathon on Monday!

Comment by Kissan – July 30, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy for ABC Family giving Switched at Birth, The Fosters and Twisted for another go around. Don’t know how the PLL spin-off Ravenswood would fare when it debuts in October.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 30, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • everyone WATCH TWISTED!!! IT’S AMAZINGGG

Comment by jamie – July 30, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY TO TWISTED!! Avan and Kylie are great!

Comment by wat – July 30, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaay The Fosters! I’m still sad about Bunheads though :( I’ve been watching Twisted too but I could take it or leave it.

Comment by CJ – July 30, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news! I love the fosters and look forward to it every Monday. SAB gets better every season and I know I am in the minority but I like Bay and Ty together, they really compliment each other. Maybe with the lying game cancelled they can explore that further.

Comment by Beth – July 30, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I always loved Bay/Ty and just really enjoyed having him back. Hopefully he can come back full time. Also hoping we get more great stuff with the parents and how about those sparks between Travis and MB. She’s cool. I really hope she sticks around.

Comment by Cort – July 30, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was so happy they paired Travis and Marybeth! They were adorable! I like Bay and Ty, but I do miss Bay and Emmett. I’m still sad he cheated on her.

Comment by Lauren – July 30, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care about Twisted but I’m an avid fan of S@B and The Fosters. I particularly like that there’s a balance of adult and teen coverage. Neither one feel like a CW show and that’s a plus for the non-teen viewers like me. S@B is so unique it deserves to be on the air for many years to come. How many other shows represent the deaf community?

Comment by Babygate – July 30, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah more Twisted !

Comment by jas – July 30, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news about The Fosters! So how is this going to work? We get this first ten and then they’ll tape the rest, air them later and consider them the second half of the season?

Comment by Kim (@AD76) – July 30, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Twisted is awesome! I hope they treat it better than Kyle XY, which was the best show ABC Family has had on before. Looking forward to another season, which they’ll hopefully get.

Comment by Karen – July 30, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad SAB was renewed. And that there will be more Twisted and The Fosters. I’ve really enjoyed these 2 new shows.

Comment by kayla – July 30, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Besides the Bunheads cancellation, which I’m still mourning, I’m really happy with The Fosters news. All I want to know is, what does this means? When are the new episodes coming out?

Comment by Tinemi – July 30, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love twisted! Kylie Bunbury is a good actress she plays a defensive type of character and she and avan are so beautiful to look at. Congrats twisted!.

Comment by Sarah – July 30, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love twisted! Kylie Bunbury is a good actress she plays a defensive type of character and she and avan are so beautiful to look at. Congrats twisted it’s my newest summer obsession.

Comment by Sarah G. – July 30, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This answers the age old question, deaf people > ballet students.

Comment by Theman – July 30, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason to tune in for Twisted is the male lead. The cast and writing is pretty dull (especially the cliffhangers), but the male lead keeps me tuning in.

I’d still toss Twisted into an active volcano if it meant a renewal for The Lying Game.

Comment by kavyn – July 30, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more with ur comment!! If there was a “like” option i would like it!

Comment by Maria R – August 11, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you ABC Family for ordering more twisted episodes! I absolutely love the show.

Comment by Marissa – July 30, 2013 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear about The Fosters. It really is very good, and Maia Mitchell as Callie just blows me away every episode.
    Now all I need to know is WHEN Peter Paige will appear in front of the camera. With Scott Lowell in this week’s episode I was just QAF fan-girling all around the room.

Comment by Ally_D – July 31, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE ME SOME FOSTERS– what a GREAT show! i think the fosters has layers to it that really set it apart from pretty much all other dramas because of the “unique” family dynamics it portrays, i.e. 2 moms raising bio, adopted, & foster kids. i applaud ABC FAMILY for showing viewers a family built out of love that happens to not fit the “traditional” mold! i’m also enjoying twisted this summer. oh, & btw, i’m 40…not exactly the typical viewer of ABC FAMILY, no? ;)

Comment by mccom13 – July 31, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Twisted! I was skeptical about watching another series on ABCF because I am still upset about the series finale of Secret Life and the cancellation of the Nine Lives of Chloe King.

Comment by Neicey – July 31, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprisingly, I’m addicted to Twisted even though I swore off ABC shows after getting burned with Make it or Break it and Lincoln Heights. Danny, Danny, Danny, its all your fault.

Comment by Gee – August 1, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never liked Bunheads. But I was disappointed when Secret Life ended and it did not end right.

Ricky and Amy- I didn’t want Ricky and Amy to end up together but the fact that they waited the last few minutes for her to finally end it was horrible for Ricky and Amy fans and it just made It seemed rushed. I think the whole episode was poorly edited.

Jack and Grace- I really wanted them to end up together but I guess she didn’t want to be with him but for her to dance after he left was horrible.

Ben and Amy- They never showed if they ended up together.

I do love Pretty Little Liars, Twisted and Switched At Birth.

Comment by Jennifer – August 6, 2013 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Switched at Birth to me is a very well written show………ive seen all episodes and im thrilled to watch renewal

Comment by Someone – August 26, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hi
    I’m glad twisted is coming back. I love this show.

Comment by jean – August 27, 2013 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy to know they will be a season 3 of switched at birth. that is the best show i have ever seen love love love it

Comment by melissa – September 18, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so so happy to know Switched at birth has been renewed. I love the diversity this show and hope ABC Family will keep it around for a long time. My sister wanted to be a ASL interpreter and this show makes me want to learn ASL too!

Comment by Janna – October 14, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Switched is ABCFam’s most consistent show. I’ve never seen a boring episode. I’m so glad they’re renewing it!

Comment by Kc – October 30, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems as though ABC Family’s process begins with good writing for the first few episodes and then drops off a bit like with PLL (ridiculous lately). But the only show that seems like it has good writing and topics is Switched. Happy for the renewal. The jury is still out on The Fosters as it is too new. But, I agree with the masses here…if you (ABCF) know a show will not be renewed, at least say early enough so the shows can have a resolution. I hate that about the other networks as well. Makes me Leary to watch other shows.

Comment by TJ – November 3, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can not believe they cancelled the lying game, i love that show, i love switched at birth and happy it going for another season but the need to re-think about the lying game there going to lose alot of people watching there network! bring the lying game back i love ethan and emma together. an bay and ty there great couples.

Comment by Marcie ryhal – November 4, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post