ABC Family Renews Switched At Birth, Orders Additional Episodes of Fosters and Twisted

switched-at-birth-300Bay & Co. will be back: ABC Family has renewed Switched at Birth for a third season, the network announced Tuesday.

Birth, which is nearing the end of its second season, is “like no other show on television and we are so proud to have it as part of our family,” Kate Juergens, executive VP of original programming and development at ABC Family, said in a statement. “Adding additional seasons and episodes of our returning series spotlights how well our programming resonates with our audience.”

RELATEDExclusive The Fosters Video: Brandon and Callie Return to an Empty House

The network has also ordered additional episodes of its freshman summer series The Fosters and Twisted.

The renewal/extensions come a week after the cabler cancelled Amy Sherman-Palladino’s ballet-themed dramedy Bunheads.

Switched at Birth‘s third season is set to launch in January 2014. The drama currently airs Mondays at 8/7c.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the renewal.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. Elyse says:

yay for Switched at Birth and the Fosters :)

2. lore says:

Whatever. We’re really behind on Switched and I’m swearing off all new programming from ABC Family, so I might just deleted Switched from the TiVO, too. I’m deeply tired of starting series with ABCF and never seeing decent ends to them.

• Babygate says:

How does this make sense? The news is about a renewal, why talk about a decent end? Maybe you are upset because they cancelled another low-rated series…

• Et al says:

Wrong. ABC Family pulls the plug on longer-running series without warning as well, leaving them unresolved. (Kyle XY, Make It Or Break It, etc. etc. etc.) in fact, the only ABC Family series I can ever remember getting a proper ending are Greek and Secret Life. There is absolutely no reason to stick with any ABC Family show, hit or not.

• Alyssa says:

This actually ends super well. Spoiler alert: bay and Emmett undress…… And it ends :) they got back together she said that she never stopped loving him!

3. James says:

“Oh, and in case you forgot…they canceled Bunheads!”

4. Ashley says:

Yay more fosters!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Maki says:

THUMBS UP for more Twisted! The show is really catching on me!

6. MJ says:

Woo hoo!!

7. mia says:

SWITCHED AT BIRTH GOT RENEWED!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

8. EmilyK says:

So happy about Switched at Birth! The new episode from last night was FANTASTIC.

And I haven’t started watching The Fosters yet, but I’ve been thinking abut it, and knowing it’s been somewhat renewed as well makes me more interested. :D

• tp says:

I don’t think I like Jace. He’s turning out to be an ass. Running around telling people’s business for no reason. Why tell Chef Jeff’s fiancee about Daphne? Daphne told him that in confidence not for him to go run his mouth to other people, Daphne needs to reevaluate who she’s becoming while dating Jace,

• Kendall says:

Wait so I just finished watching the last episode of switched at birth. Does all this mean they are making a third season??

9. mia says:

wish they’d renewed Bunheads instead of ordering more Twisted.

10. tp says:

That’s great for SAB but I would still like to know what the reason was for cancelling Bunheads. It wasn’t really given a chance. Are the ratings for Twisted that much better? No slight to fans of Twisted. Just curious.

• Jake says:

I’m pretty sure that a large reason for the cancelation of the show had to do with cost of production and cast where this show could e much cheaper.

• Alex says:

What do you mean, it wasn’t given a chance? First of all, it got its initial run right after a popular ABC Family series. Good time line. Then, despite mediocre at best ratings, it received additional episodes. And again it did badly in the ratings. The show had a chance… more than one! I enjoyed it, but it flopped, plain and simple.

11. Dianne says:

Any news yet on renewal of The Client List? Thanks.

12. Jared says:

Twisted is doing better than Bunheads in total viewers and demo but it’s basically on par to what The Lying Game was getting ratings wise.

• Billie Jones says:

I really was sad to hear that The Lying Game was cancelled. I really liked and was invested in that show. I never missed an episode. I hate when you like a show and it is ended without any resolution.

13. Monie says:

Love switched at birth. So excited.

14. Kissan says:

Everybody should watch The Fosters. It’s really good and to me it’s one of the best summer dramas. It even beat Switched At Birth last week because of the shooting episode. And last nights episode was FANTASTIC!

15. ALRIGHT NOW; I AM SO HAPPY FOR SWITCHED AT BIRTH GETTING RENEWED FOR A THIRD SEASON, AND I AM REALLY HAPPY ABOUT THE FOSTERS AND TWISTED, THEY ARE THE BEST. I AM SAD ABOUT THE LYING GAME GETTING CANCELED, IT WAS ALSO A GOOD SHOW TO WATCH!!!

• Maria R says:

I’m happy that Switched at Birth is renewed for a 3rd season, it’s different than any other show I have watched in the past and currently watch right now….but i’m also sad about The Lying Game being cancelled, i loved the character that Blair Redford played. I wish they would have renewed TLG for another season instead of keeping The Fosters or Twisted, i like both of those shows but i think TLG was wayyyyyyyyyy better!!!

16. Brandy says:

So glad for Switched!im gonna catch up on The Fosters with its marathon Mon.

17. Babybop says:

I find Twisted to be incredibly ridiculous… But that’s why I watch it… Is that wrong?

• CR says:

Nope, I think that line of thinking is what has kept PLL around so long, Summer tv is meant for guilty pleasure shows.

• ENAD says:

I’m really trying to stick to watching Twisted but it’s getting harder and harder because it’s sooooo darn slow. The dad gets way too much screentime and he’s very unlikeable so is the terminally selfish Lacey. Plus, I can’t help but think how flat and one-note Kylie Bunbury’s acting is.
      Right now all I want is to find out the reason for Danny killing his aunt, at least give the viewers that much.

18. dude says:

So happy for The Fosters/Twisted! My favourite shows this summer!

19. sarah says:

I look forward to Twisted every week! So happy more episodes have been ordered.

20. Josh Emerson says:

How many more eps of Fosters and Twisted? Is it an additional half season then? Excited about Fosters!!

21. Sarah says:

Twisted is completely ridiculous, but holy crap Avan Jogia. He is beautiful. Who is this kid? He makes me feel like a dirty old lady.

• Kim (@AD76) says:

I would “like” your post if this was Facebook. I don’t watch Twisted, but I’ve thought the same thing from the commercials!

• Avan Jogia was on Victorious playing Beck but sadly Nickelodeon pulled the plug on the Victoria Justice led series after its “series finale” aired back in February.

• Lauren says:

I watched the first two episodes and got bored, but good god that guy is attractive!

• Delia says:

LOL – after this last episode I asked myself, “Why am I watching this again?” and myself answered, “Oh, yeah…because Danny is SOOO PRETTY.”

• Kelly says:

I’m SO glad to hear I’m not the only one. I actually looked him up on imdb to be sure he was legal so I could think he was hot.

22. Kissan says:

Everybody watch The Fosters marathon on Monday!

23. Very happy for ABC Family giving Switched at Birth, The Fosters and Twisted for another go around. Don’t know how the PLL spin-off Ravenswood would fare when it debuts in October.

24. jamie says:

everyone WATCH TWISTED!!! IT’S AMAZINGGG

25. wat says:

YAY TO TWISTED!! Avan and Kylie are great!

26. CJ says:

Yaaay The Fosters! I’m still sad about Bunheads though :( I’ve been watching Twisted too but I could take it or leave it.

27. Beth says:

This is good news! I love the fosters and look forward to it every Monday. SAB gets better every season and I know I am in the minority but I like Bay and Ty together, they really compliment each other. Maybe with the lying game cancelled they can explore that further.

• Cort says:

Agreed. I always loved Bay/Ty and just really enjoyed having him back. Hopefully he can come back full time. Also hoping we get more great stuff with the parents and how about those sparks between Travis and MB. She’s cool. I really hope she sticks around.

• Lauren says:

I was so happy they paired Travis and Marybeth! They were adorable! I like Bay and Ty, but I do miss Bay and Emmett. I’m still sad he cheated on her.

28. Babygate says:

Don’t care about Twisted but I’m an avid fan of S@B and The Fosters. I particularly like that there’s a balance of adult and teen coverage. Neither one feel like a CW show and that’s a plus for the non-teen viewers like me. S@B is so unique it deserves to be on the air for many years to come. How many other shows represent the deaf community?

29. jas says:

Yeah more Twisted !

30. Kim (@AD76) says:

Awesome news about The Fosters! So how is this going to work? We get this first ten and then they’ll tape the rest, air them later and consider them the second half of the season?

31. Karen says:

Twisted is awesome! I hope they treat it better than Kyle XY, which was the best show ABC Family has had on before. Looking forward to another season, which they’ll hopefully get.

32. kayla says:

Glad SAB was renewed. And that there will be more Twisted and The Fosters. I’ve really enjoyed these 2 new shows.

33. Tinemi says:

Besides the Bunheads cancellation, which I’m still mourning, I’m really happy with The Fosters news. All I want to know is, what does this means? When are the new episodes coming out?

34. Sarah says:

I love twisted! Kylie Bunbury is a good actress she plays a defensive type of character and she and avan are so beautiful to look at. Congrats twisted!.

35. Sarah G. says:

I love twisted! Kylie Bunbury is a good actress she plays a defensive type of character and she and avan are so beautiful to look at. Congrats twisted it’s my newest summer obsession.

36. Theman says:

This answers the age old question, deaf people > ballet students.

37. kavyn says:

The only reason to tune in for Twisted is the male lead. The cast and writing is pretty dull (especially the cliffhangers), but the male lead keeps me tuning in.

I’d still toss Twisted into an active volcano if it meant a renewal for The Lying Game.

38. Marissa says:

Thank you ABC Family for ordering more twisted episodes! I absolutely love the show.

39. Ally_D says:

So happy to hear about The Fosters. It really is very good, and Maia Mitchell as Callie just blows me away every episode.
    Now all I need to know is WHEN Peter Paige will appear in front of the camera. With Scott Lowell in this week’s episode I was just QAF fan-girling all around the room.

40. mccom13 says:

I LOVE ME SOME FOSTERS– what a GREAT show! i think the fosters has layers to it that really set it apart from pretty much all other dramas because of the “unique” family dynamics it portrays, i.e. 2 moms raising bio, adopted, & foster kids. i applaud ABC FAMILY for showing viewers a family built out of love that happens to not fit the “traditional” mold! i’m also enjoying twisted this summer. oh, & btw, i’m 40…not exactly the typical viewer of ABC FAMILY, no? ;)

41. Neicey says:

I love Twisted! I was skeptical about watching another series on ABCF because I am still upset about the series finale of Secret Life and the cancellation of the Nine Lives of Chloe King.

42. Gee says:

Surprisingly, I’m addicted to Twisted even though I swore off ABC shows after getting burned with Make it or Break it and Lincoln Heights. Danny, Danny, Danny, its all your fault.

43. Jennifer says:

I never liked Bunheads. But I was disappointed when Secret Life ended and it did not end right.

Ricky and Amy- I didn’t want Ricky and Amy to end up together but the fact that they waited the last few minutes for her to finally end it was horrible for Ricky and Amy fans and it just made It seemed rushed. I think the whole episode was poorly edited.

Jack and Grace- I really wanted them to end up together but I guess she didn’t want to be with him but for her to dance after he left was horrible.

Ben and Amy- They never showed if they ended up together.

I do love Pretty Little Liars, Twisted and Switched At Birth.

44. Someone says:

Switched at Birth to me is a very well written show………ive seen all episodes and im thrilled to watch renewal

45. jean says:

hi
    I’m glad twisted is coming back. I love this show.

46. melissa says:

so happy to know they will be a season 3 of switched at birth. that is the best show i have ever seen love love love it

47. Janna says:

I am so so happy to know Switched at birth has been renewed. I love the diversity this show and hope ABC Family will keep it around for a long time. My sister wanted to be a ASL interpreter and this show makes me want to learn ASL too!

48. Kc says:

Switched is ABCFam’s most consistent show. I’ve never seen a boring episode. I’m so glad they’re renewing it!

49. TJ says:

It seems as though ABC Family’s process begins with good writing for the first few episodes and then drops off a bit like with PLL (ridiculous lately). But the only show that seems like it has good writing and topics is Switched. Happy for the renewal. The jury is still out on The Fosters as it is too new. But, I agree with the masses here…if you (ABCF) know a show will not be renewed, at least say early enough so the shows can have a resolution. I hate that about the other networks as well. Makes me Leary to watch other shows.

50. Marcie ryhal says:

i can not believe they cancelled the lying game, i love that show, i love switched at birth and happy it going for another season but the need to re-think about the lying game there going to lose alot of people watching there network! bring the lying game back i love ethan and emma together. an bay and ty there great couples.