Ratings: The Bachelorette Surges, Dome Dips

BROOKS, DESIREE HARTSOCKThe Bachelorette may not have been feeling the love from Brooks, but Nielsen families sure were liking her.

Part 1 of the ABC dating series’ finale this Monday night hit season highs – 7.8 million total viewers and a 2.3 demo rating, up 20 percent week-to-week.

Leading out of that, Mistresses (4.1 mil/1.3) ticked up to enjoy its second-largest numbers to date.

RELATED | Mistresses Recap: Mother of Dissension

Over on NBC, American Ninja Warrior (5.1 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth, Get Out Alive (3.7 mil/1.2) dropped two tenths and Siberia (2 mil/0.7) was off a tenth from its last outing.

RELATED | CBS’ Under the Dome Renewed for Season 2

Elsewhere: CBS’ newly renewed Under the Dome dominated the night in viewers (with 11.1 mil) and in the demo (down a tenth to 2.7)…. The CW’s Breaking Pointe (550K/0.2) added a few viewers.

1. While the dip in Dome ratings is a bit of a blip and will probably return, I’m wondering if anybody out there feels the same way I do. That is, I enjoy the show and want to see how it ends, but am somewhat dismayed of the fact that it’s been renewed for a second season. I was perfectly happy to enjoy a single self contained season that would be a beginning, middle and definite end to the mystery of the Dome. Now I hear that this show might become the non-comedic version of “Gilligan’s Island.” I’m watching to the end of the summer, when hopefully major questions will be answered, but then I’m out.

• Christopher Marino says:

I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason I have kept watching this terribly scripted, horribly acted miniseries is because I wanted to see how it ends. I feel like I was sold a bad bill of goods. No way I am signing up for 13 more weeks of this garbage. I have been more entertained by Sharknado…

• Et al says:

The ratings have been strong because the audience was telling CBS, ‘we enjoy the idea of a scripted, limited run series with the promise of closure’. CBS heard ‘we want you to drag this mediocre story on forever!!!’. I think CBS will become aware of their misinterpretation soon as ratings continue to dwindle.

• Lyn says:

Agree that this would’ve been a perfect candidate for a limited-run series, and can only go downhill. At this point, I’m already looking back fondly on the scene where the dome slices the cow in half — and doubting that anything else on the show will be quite as cool.

• Nicole says:

I completely agree. I gave it one more shot last night but after watching the scenes from next week I’m done. If it was a limited run like Harper’s Island (which I watch all the time on DVD) I would have stuck it out but not with the renewal.

2. Lily L says:

See…I guess making Brooks out to be a villain gave The Bachelorette ratings. I do hate the manipulation of all the reality shows.

• The Beach says:

Almost an hour of lead-in, then commercials, then crying, more commercials, more crying…ad infinitum. Absurd.

3. Boiler says:

Ahh the dumbing down of America and TV continues

4. wrstlgirl says:

Brooks is not a villain. A villain would have just left or waited until after the fantasy suite date. He did the right thing and spoke to her face to face. In fact he commented to his mother and sister with that date coming up and he wasn’t really in to it that he knew he had to walk away. That aside, I think he comes back. They would have never spent that much time airing the “break up” if he wasn’t coming back to her. We’ll see. But nothing like America to tune in to watch a train wreck, typical. As far as all this complaining about the renewal of UTD where have you peeps been? TPTB were not hiding anything and the audience was not duped. They’ve said in interviews on several occasions, from the very beginning, that this was likely to happen, with Stephen Kings blessing, yet you stayed tuned in. Now that it’s official you’re mad. I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t take something that’s doing well and extend it. No one is making you watch it. But all the threats saying “I’m never watching anything on CBS again” or “I’m deleting this from my DVR” are just juvenile.