NCIS: New Details on Ziva's 'Emotional' Exit

NCIS Ziva KilledHas Ziva dodged a literal bullet?

The first clue about how NCIS plans to write out departing leading Cote de Pablo was parsed out by CBS on Monday, and it appears the beloved character will not be given a permanent send-off.

RELATED | CBS Boss Les Moonves on Losing Cote de Pablo: ‘We Offered Her a Lot of Money’

In a Season 11 logline released by the network, the network confirmed that Ziva will vacate her NCIS post.

Former Mossad agent turned NCIS Special Agent Ziva David leaves the team in an emotional episode. Several unexpected twists will occur related to the personal lives of Palmer, McGee and Vance, and the team will face one of the most dangerous adversary’s they’ve ever encountered. Also, this season the series will mark its 250th episode.

Season 11 of NCIS kicks off on Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 8/7c.

1. Andrea says:

“Adversaries” is the plural of adversary. Someone at CBS did not proofread.

• TV Gord says:

Thanks, Andrea! I’m so glad someone else noticed! This is one of the mistakes I see all over the message boards, too! It’s not as common as the multitude of people who don’t know when to you “there”, “their” or “they’re”, but it’s still surprising.

Apostrophe-S is NEVER the plural of anything!

• Chance says:

Ummm, you guys, yes “adversaries” is plural but, in this instance, it’s being used in a descriptive form relating to accumulation of adversaries they’ve faced, up until this point. The use of a word in a plural form does not have to relate to present or future tense. You really should have known…

• Katheryn says:

I want ziva back she makes the team that is the one of the readons we watch this show.

• donna says:

I cant believe ziva is leaving I cant imagine watching anymore

• Judy says:

NCIS was one of the best TV shows on free digital television. Something is terribly wrong. Some body can’t get along with women on the set, no matter how much money they’re offered. The show needs some new writers. There have been so many repeats this season I’m surprised they haven’t been canceled or at least lost there time slot. I myself have only watched the show 4 times.

• The new teenager replacing Ziva is all wrong for the part. Get someone older to fill it.

• Janice W says:

I agree, we need her back. This show just isn’t the same without her. Fact is, I have quit watching. Everytime I would begin to watch I just couldn’t get into it anymore. The whole cast is getting older,but acting the same. Ziva was part of the team and I miss her.

2. Winter Fresh says:

Geez Ausiello, you HAD to use the Berlin pic? Now I can’t stop smiling.

3. I hope so, then there is room for her to come back, sometime in the near future, even for a few episodes :)

4. Jerri says:

She should be killed off.

• Midori says:

I agree. The show has no sense of danger, it’s just fluff. Start adding more new characters, even recurring and actually have bad things happen.

“NCIS officers were blown up, but look exactly the same!” That’s lame.

• Elaine says:

Short memory. Director David AND Vance’s wife died last season.

• Deb says:

I agree. Plenty of danger. I am so glad they are not killing off Ziva. I am so sad she is leaving! She added so much chemistry to the show. I really hope she comes back some day! I volunteer to be Tony’s new partner! wowsa!!

• kath says:

They need to keep her alive otherwise the show will have killed off almost all it’s regular and recurring female characters. Catelyn, Jenny, Paula and Agent Lee all died in the write–off, as well as Jackie Vance last season. Among the men, only Mike Franks.

• Glenda says:

TOO MANY good folks were killed off….even if Caitlin did resurrect as Maura Isles!

No one can replace Mike Franks, so that is why he is a “conscience”/ghost character now!

• Catelyn’s death was due to Sasha Alexander’s decision to leave the role. She has said in multiple interviews that the physical demands of the show were just too much for her. Paula was never a permanent character. I never got the impression that Agent Lee was a permanent character..esp when you discovered she was a spy. My daughter thinks (and I tend to agree) that Cote is leaving to start a family. I’m glad they’re not killing her off…possibly leaving the door open for her to return!

• James Wilson says:

Actually several male agents died but none of them major characters, including Paula’s crew and several that was murdered through out the whole series. Unfortunately though more women have died, including the blonde who was originally did the pilot on NCIS for “NCIS: Los Angeles.”

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Agree…killing the character off is the only way her looney tunes fans will stop attacking the cast and network and the only way to ensure the show won’t be stuck with her in the future

• Susan says:

Many other shows have replaced actors that have left. Cote is good, but there are many actresses who could play the part as well or even better. I think they should keep the character with a new actress. She made her choice. Now lets move on.

• macciesma says:

TOTALLY disagree with Susan. Cote formed the part and made it special. She really made the part work. It is too lame when shows try to put a new actor/actress in a role. Any loyal fan would realize this.

• Deb says:

I am glad the show “appears” to be respecting her role and all she did for the show. I hope if she decides to come back they welcome her with open arms. Please don’t make the HUGE mistake loser shows do by trying to replace her character with another actor. That is the dumbest thing anyone could think of doing! A loyal audience embraces these characters in their roles which is what helps make it so successful.

• I agree with you Deb. I really enjoyed Cote’s role in NCIS. Looked forward to it each week. I am not ready to move on without her. She probably began to find the role of Ziva too demanding and like Sasha Alexander, she wanted to leave for personal reasons. It could be she just needed to have a time-out or a leave and will return one day after rethinking her decision. Let’s hope! The team just isn’t the same without her. Ziva was like a daughter to Gibbs, a friend to all of the other team mates. She is missed! She cannot be replaced!

• zmustgo says:

Yes, she should, no need for her to be an albatross around Tony’s neck. he dserves a lot better than she can ever be.

5. Lisa says:

It kinds sucks that Cote’s leaving, but at least they didn’t decide to kill Ziva. I suppose that’s something, though that doesn’t make me any less disappointed that there’ll never actually be a Tiva relationship.

• Len says:

Who said there will not be one? You just might not get it on screen.

• lula_marte@yahoo.com says:

I agree with you regarding the fact that they decided not to kill Ziva off. The show will not be the same without her. I have watched NCIS since the very first Show. Are they going to replace her until they bring her back? If so, will she fit right in just like Ziva did when Kate left to do Rozzoli and Isles.

• Dmac says:

She didn’t fit right in per her own words she was hated for the first couple of months. My God you Tiva shippers live in a alternate universe.

• Cathy says:

“Kate” didn’t leave to go to do Rizzoli and Isles – she’s been gone for years.

• ben says:

I’m glad they didn’t kill her off as well – after all, eventualyl the show will end, probably on its own terms, and it may be able to bring Cote back for an episode or two and end with a Tiva endgame.

• Dmac says:

You realize no one promised Tiva anything…

• ben says:

Whats your point? I don’t even watch NCIS – I just don’t fundamentally agree with the idea that something can’t be endgame just because an actor wants off a show.

• zmustgo says:

If we’re lucky, we won’t have to suffer through any tiva on screen or off, we don’t need a tiva endgame, we don’t need tiva at all, it was just a terrible way to destroy MW’s character.

• James Wilson says:

The only way the can end the show is if Gibbs is killed (heaven forbid) or Gibbs decides to retire and hand the team over to Tony.

6. gemma_e says:

Should be interesting to see how they do it and also how they introduce the replacement.

Andrea & TV Gord, in this context the use of the apostrophe is correct. The quotation states ‘one of the most dangerous’ because it is implying an individual the use of adversary’s is grammatically correct, given that that sentence basically states that this particular adversary is the most dangerous they have encountered; which in of itself would have been much better to say rather than use adversary’s.

• Jon says:

Just… no. The only way adversary’s is correct referring to a singular person is if you are saying something belongs to him or her. An adversary’s grudge, for instance. Plural of this would be multiple adversaries’ grudges.

Or saying that the singular adversary is or was doing something: the contraction adversary’s.

The article in other words is saying, if you take out the descriptor “most dangerous”, the team is meeting “one of the adversaries”. It’s the only correct way to say this. Not “one of the adversary’s.

• Alia says:

Jon’s right. One never needs an apostrophe to form a plural (and that goes for proper nouns, too, not just common nouns). You can take my word for it; I’m a copy editor.

• Len says:

Languages are constantly in flux. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes for the worse. One thing that can’t be done is stop it from happening.

• Thirty Thr33 says:

Not for grammatical rules. Words are added and removed from the English language rather frequently, but using an apostrophe to denote a pluralized noun will never happen.

7. CJS says:

Ziva really needs to be killed off for the good of the show. Her death would provide permanent closure & allow everyone to fully move on. But with Ziva still alive, the most delusional NCIS fans will still hold out hope for “Tiva” & not fully embrace the new direction of NCIS.

• jenferner8 says:

Hasn’t the show killed off enough women? Good grief, if you need a death simply to provide “Tiva closer” then why not kill Tony instead?

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Considering how horridly NCIS writes women characters, killing off Ziva qualifies as a mercy killing.

• zmustgo says:

Because MW is still on the show, Cote is the one leaving, it only makes sense to kill her character off, if any character needed killing on NCIS it’s z.

8. pj says:

So thry leaving.it open so more of crazy crazy can keep yapping for her return. Thats pathic.

9. Vi says:

First they ‘kill’ off Kate, then they ‘kill’ off Jenny. Do we really want to have another character ‘killed’ off when the actress leaves? That’s like saying no on moves on from a job at NCIS, you die instead.

• ClassicNCISfan says:

In the case of this character, YES

• Dmac says:

**sigh** if you would just do a little research before you make sweeping statements like this. Sasha Alexander asked to be let out of her contract because she wanted to spend more time with her family. She requested her character be killed in the line of duty.

10. Bleecker says:

NCIS has been on for 10 years… its already well passed its prime and is starting to get hokey. I grew up a navy brat. Most NCIS agents in real life investigate mostly petty theft, drunken sailor vandalism, the occasional accidental OD, or random AWOLs and thats pretty much it…

• Len says:

It’s entertainment….

… Not real life. Nor should it imitate real life.

• Bill says:

Exactly Len. Those who feel it is lame can feel free to change the channel. If I don’t like a show, I simply don’t watch it. I don’t feel the need to disect it and put it down.

• Bill says:

Ok, this is a show people. I really don’t care if it compares to real life NCIS or not. Want reality tv watch survivor. I hate reality TV! I love NCIS. Hate disecting it all. Obviously the writers of the show have done an awesome job with the show or it would not have been on as long as it has and so many of you would not be commenting on it. A good show only runs its course and dies out because so many people feel they have to disect it to death. Sit back and enjoy the show. If you don’t like it, change the channel but don’t ruin it for the rest of us!

• Susan says:

Well said. We will just have to wait and see what happens. I was sorry to hear she was leaving, but its her choice. Now its the writers’ job to make it work without her.

• j k miller says:

no need to kill her off.let her ride into the sunset .she could visit the set next season with her new baby named tony! now that could spice it up. love the show.merc59j69

• John says:

And most all cops fill out forms or rattle doorknobs on a beat…..

11. NoChance says:

Emotional exit could still mean a death bed scene, couldn’t it? No, I don’t think it’s going to happen that way but it’s always possible.
    If not a death, could the current Sequester be a factor. She was the last hired agent so if there are agency cuts she might not be able to get her job back.
    Didn’t Tony or McGee say something like: This (quitting) might not work out very well for you”?
    Then she goes returns to her homeland for something personal.

12. mbj says:

I’m not so sure I would want to remain in the employ of a government agency when yet another agency of that government killed my father, no matter what my issues with may have been.

However, for those of you old enough to remember Jimmy Smits leaving NYPD Blue, ABC promised they weren’t killing him off and they did. If the network gives everything away, no one will watch. A *lot* of people are pissed about Cote de Pablo leaving; four people in my extended family alone watch really for her, Mark Harmon and the team dynamic in that order. It seems, given the “deaths” of major characters Caitlyn Todd, Jenny Shepard and recurring character Paula Cassidy, only female agents die in the line.

13. JT says:

Yeah this just leaves the door open for her if she decides to return to the show down the road but am glad the show writers decided not to kill her off.

14. Sophie says:

If I had it my way I would make this the last season. I love the show but eleven years is a fantastic run and why not finish on top?! I would let Ziva leave with an emotional episode where she kisses Tony goodbye. Then the last episode Cote would return as a ‘special guest star’ and it would end with Tony & Ziva finally getting together! (I would like writers credit ;P)

15. Stucky says:

I just hope they don’t replace her with another female character such as criminal minds did with Rachel Nichols. I feel like its very difficult to add a new character this late in the game, so to speak. Overall Ziva was a great character so to just replace her with another female would most likely get negative reactions from the fans. That’s how I feel anyway.

• Badpenny says:

They have to replace with a female. Shows need an engaging female presence to attract female viewers. If they don’t hire another female it turns into a boy’s club with 3 minutes of Abby each episode. People will start screaming sexism that the #1 show on television won’t hire a woman.

• Stucky says:

They just need to be careful about it. They did such a good job replacing Kate with Ziva, but I’m optimistic whether they’ll pull that off again. I’m interested to see how it plays out

• Paul says:

Rachel Nichols replacing Cote de Pablo… Hmmmm? That would be interesting…

16. Tristan John Wannet says:

i hope they do a good farewell character episode for ziva if they don’t they should kill her in a episode

17. bond99 says:

i hope the ziva character sendoff episode is good or they should kill her character off

18. m.d. little says:

MAYBE SHE GETS TRANSFERED TO THE D.O.D.; HOMELAND SECURITY; OR SOME OTHER AGENCY BECAUSE OF HER PERSONEL KNOLEDGE OF MIDDLE EASTERN AFFAIRS. THAT WOULD WORK WITH CROSSING LINES WITH NCIS FROM TIME TO TIME. [ AND MAYBE A LITTLE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH TONY= FINALLY]

• Mary Beth says:

I wondered about that, too; Interpol would also be a good fit, with her experience and language skills, too. I will miss the constant jokes about Ziva flubbing English words and phrases – that’s always been fun. Gibbs has such a connection with her, though. After going through everything from Ari to Rivkin’s death to her rescue in North Africa to her father’s and Jackie Vance’s deaths with her, to have Ziva leave on a tragic note would hinder the emotional progress he’s been making in the last few seasons. She’s like a daughter to Gibbs. His character alone deserves better, especially after losing Mike Franks to P2P.

• Susan says:

Don’t forget, it was Cote’s, decision to leave. She was not written out of the show or fired. The prospect of her showing up on another one of their shows, is nil. By leaving, she has left the show in a bit of story limbo.

• Mary Beth says:

So CBS says. Cote’s and their statement are pretty vague, but CBS is definitely feeling the heat, otherwise Les Moonves wouldn’t be saying something about it. (And apologies for calling Don Bellisario “Charles” – I’ve had a couple sleepless nights with high pain levels from an illness, so I called the wrong name to mind. But he still holds the purse strings, there’s no doubt, as he owns the production company.)

19. Larry says:

( RE: “…one of the most dangerous adversary’s…)
    Note to the people who write as a vocation…people who write things for the public to read…people who are employed by or or contracted by organizations like Yahoo News: YOU SHOULD LEARN TO SPELL CORRECTLY BEFORE POSTING YOUR PIECE! There is absolutely no excuse for spelling errors to appear in print or in an on-line article. I was in the newspaper business, the radio business, and worked for an ad agency…and in none of these were simple spelling errors tolerated. If you are going to be paid like a pro, write like one!

20. kath says:

I hope they write it well. I cared about Ziva more than any of the other characters, maybe because she was larger-than-life and different from all the other characters who were variations on the old WASP personality.

If she’s not dead, I can keep my fingers crossed that she, and I, will return to NCIS someday.

21. Maulik Dave says:

I will say one thing: Since she is going to quit NCIS, there is now a possibility for Tony and Ziva to have a relationship since they will no longer be co-workers

22. John says:

Would a suicide be an emotional exit? NCIS should kill Ziva off if only to shut the rabid delusional ‘Tiva’ fans and shippers up. Tony deserves better than Ziva.

23. PAddy says:

As Tony is a Film Buff I would love for them to have thought they have defeated the Adversaries and then to copy the end of “On her majesties secret service” To end Ziva’s time with NCIS.

Swap Bond and Tracy for Tony and Ziva, Blofeld and Bunt with the “Adversaries”

Bond and Tracy marry in Portugal, then drive away in Bond’s Aston Martin. When Bond pulls over to the roadside to remove flowers from the car, Blofeld (wearing a neck brace) and Bunt commit a drive-by shooting of the couple’s car that kills Tracy. A police officer pulls over to inspect the bullet-riddled car, prompting a tear-filled Bond to mutter that there is no need to hurry to call for help by saying, “We have all the time in the world”, as he cradles Tracy’s lifeless body.

24. Keith says:

Well , I’ve read all the above and I say that I will really miss Ziva’s character. I’ve only
    been watching for the past year and a half but have watched many of the older episodes and I believe that Ziva adds a lot to the story. It’s not just one person that makes the story
    but I believe that Ziva, Tony, Abbey, and Gibbs work particularly good together.

For those who really pan the series, I believe that it has a lot of humor, human interest,
    some sexual intrigue and good acting, as well as good writing. That’s a lot more than I can say about any of the other regular tv series that I’ve tried to watch. The different characters strong points, flaws, and kinks really come out in the writing and acting. I know that other people have different favorites and that’s fine but this one works for me.

While travelling recently, I was in one region where there was a voice-over that explained what the characters facial expressions, and other actions meant. That was a huge distraction. I didn’t care nearly as much for the show with those unnecessary comments.

Anyway CBS try to keep her. It’s been many years since I have found a weekly show that I wanted to follow.
    older viewer

25. I agree with the last comment. I am disappointed that Cote insists on leaving NCIS. This show has had a wonderful run and the whole cast has worked as a team. I will miss this and, I do think it will be difficult for me to continue watching this show. NCIS is one of the few weekly shows that I watch. I still miss JAG and was hoping they would bring more of the JAG characters back as “special guest stars”. Nothing lasts forever and I will miss this show just like I miss JAG. I cannot even imagine anyone replacing Ziva! It just won’t work for me! I guess we will just have to wait and see. First, get the ” jerk” off of Gibbs back with the help of Chegwidden (John M. Jackson), then we will see.

26. Core4Fan says:

Good riddance to a bad character. It’s just unfortunate GG is thinking of giving the bullies any sort of nod. Way to alienate the fans who will be staying with the show and incite the cyberbullies who have been attacking anything that moves for years all in one ill-conceived move, GG. Perhaps you should rethink this a little more carefully. Tony deserves better. The show needs to rid itself of this poison quickly and move on.

27. Lucie says:

I’d love it if this was the last season.

28. SueS says:

I love Ziva as part of the team. She is an integral character. Don’t go, Cote!

29. Levada says:

I hope the character of Ziva will return about the time that the show will end. I hope that is not soon though because my husband I really like NCIS and all of Gibb’s team.

30. slr27302 says:

I see an opportunity for the writers to increase the role of Abby as part of the team. She’s been part of the team from the beginning, why not get her out into the field a la Jimmy? The new character could come into the lab to learn from Abby, while Abby spends part of her time with the remaining agents. Win-win in my book.

31. CagedEgl says:

For those of you not familiar with military relationships, its going to be hard to explain the loss of Ziva. The “I’ve (unsaid) got your back” is a real relationship that bonds people in the miltary in ways that civilians can never understand. Ziva’s bond and commitment to protecting her team is going to be hard to find an alternative. She has provided a intense personality with more real internal struggles shown in the show than any of the other characters. I wish her good fortune and I feel sorry for the writer’s that will have to find a way to replace the “emptyness” that is felt when part of you leaves. I am speaking metaphorically and real at the same time. Her leaving as a key member of a good militay machine created by relationshop is going to be hard to beat. I will continue watching and feel the loss right along with the rest of the team.

• John says:

Military members routinely get transferred out of their current positions. Though in this tvworld instance it will be more difficult than the personnel routine movement of the real world. The character has seemingly burned her bridges with her former agency (and country) so getting her permanently and with certainty OUT of the NCIS world is an interesting challenge.

32. I am a British fan of NCIS so a year behind the rest of you NCISers and am saddened to hear of Cote’s departure. She will doubtless be replaced by a capable enough actress as long as it isn’t the one who played EJ Barrett, God no! The EJ Barrett character aka jayne Morris was the worst thing that ever happened to the show. Anything but that! Bring back Kate! Tony needs a female foil, Gibbs needs a surrogate daughter/wife figure- go figure!
    No more mediocre Gary Glassberg creations like Rachel Cranstoun whose a bit part player at best. This news is going to be a major headache for fans and creative staff alike so maybe they’d better road test a few new female guest stars till the rest femme comes along. By the way why don’t they bring back Vivian Blackadder? No Jamie Lee Curtis though, she would cost top of the show anyway! Maybe what is required is an older wiser head! Christina Raines who starred alongside Mark Harmon on Flamingo Road would be a good choice, she and the big H had great chemistry and Di Nozzo always has had a thing for the stylish more mature woman! Just a thought!

33. xmb says:

How about a female character that’s not misused as a romantic object for Tony. For heaven’s sake, write in a girlfriend for Tony, not one that’s NCIS related or a main character.
    So tired of “Tiva” but wishing de Cote would stay. But I understand the departure.

34. Of course they aren’t going kill of Ziva! If the show dips, CBS wants the option of offering her what it should have in the first place… seriously folks, it’s all about the almighty dollar.

35. Sher says:

To CBS: do whatever it takes to keep Ziva. Money obviously isn’t what she wants or needs but there has to be something that could make her change her mind. I am glad you are not killing her off so there will always be a door open for her to come back. You will never be able to find someone to replace her as she is the only one “perfect” for this role. It will be a sad episode when she leaves. She is an amazing actress and the role she plays is perfect for her and no one can be as good as she is.

To Cote: Please reconsider and stay. You will be missed so much.

36. Patrick says:

What ever happened to 24? I’d like to see NCIS head in that direction. Will miss Ziva (Cote de Pablo). She always put Tony in his place.

37. LM says:

I was devastated when Kate died but she left for the show Criminal Minds then to her new show. I have been a NCIS fan from the beginning and I can’t believe Ziva is leaving. I also agree she took the part and made it hers and she did a great job. The show won’t be the same without her but as long as they don’t get rid of Leroy Jethro Gibbs I’m happy. I was hoping Ziva and Tony would get married but oh well we have to support her decision.

38. Sarah says:

Nonononono….
    I want Tiva!!! Please! Don’t kill her! *pouting*

39. Dana says:

I’m so sad… Please, don’t kill her.
    Ziva should get pregnant (obviously by Tony) and then it’s too dangerous for her and she leaves NCIS and stays home with their children.
    Lovely greetings from Spain (:

40. blahblabblah!!! says:

Agreed Dana! If she’s going to leave, obviously it has to do with a Tiva issue! That would be perfect, cause then she could come back later!

• Susan says:

I am so tired of hearing about Cote leaving NCIS. You would think that she was the whole show. Her character could be played by any of a dozen or more actresses, who would give anything for the opportunity to work on such a show. Many characters have been replaced by other actors. How many James Bonds have there been? Darren Stephens? Now if we were talking about Gibbs or Abby or even Ducky? I would think twice.
      She made her choice. Once she gone, I don’t ever want to see her back on the show in any part. I hope she finds the grass as green where-ever she ends up.

41. Jean says:

I liked Ziva and also the Ziva /Tony aspect but I do not call myself a shipper. I to am from the UK but we will not be watching again.

42. Liz says:

Isn’t it crazy that some of you want the whole show to end because cote leaves? But somehow I think they could be right, I mean Kate died after the second season, and that’s the 8th season with her! o.O Thats a big difference..

But the question, is it unrealistic that they don’t kill her of so that cote can come back? at least they have killed every character who left the show.. :s theres still hope :b :D

43. Magnolia says:

Oh no, not Ziva I just loved your character! She was really unique to lead female roles & way classier than the glam leading lady characters out there. Plus, the chemistry & friendship between the team, ESP with Tony, took so long to build it will be hard to replace. I guess we can’t have her forever…..unless…..

44. lizette says:

cant believe she not in it anymore