Fall TV Preview

Hostages EP Jerry Bruckheimer Insists New CBS Thriller Is Definitely 'Not a Miniseries'

CBS Hostages Not a Mini-SeriesOn the heels of onetime-limited series Under the Dome‘s renewal, the cast and producers of CBS’ new fall drama Hostages took the stage Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills to clarify their 15-episode order.

“This is not a miniseries for us,” executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed. “We’re doing 15 [episodes] and we’re hoping to get not only two seasons, but hopefully a lot more.”

RELATED | Watch Trailers For Mom, The Crazy Ones, Intelligence and Other New CBS Series

Addressing the mini/event/limited series perception surrounding the show , EP Jonathan Littman explained: “When you’re doing something this intense and this much of a thriller, it’s hard to bang out 22 [episodes], with repeats and weeks that are off, and keep your suspense… The story of this show doesn’t work that way. It really has to be run in a row.”

No stranger to short-order TV gigs, American Horror Story vet Dylan McDermott noted that Hostages‘ 15-episode Season 1 order was part of what drew him to the show. “Doing a series is really a marathon,” he shared. “You get fatigued and stretch out these stories and they become repetitive.. In this show, it’s streamlined and you’re getting the best of the best… There’s no bulls–t.” Added star Toni Collette: “It’s more appealing to me absolutely. It just allows so much freedom.”

Hostages premieres Monday, Sept. 23 at 10/9c.

Tags: ,

Comments (31)

• Seems like a stretch for those people to remain hostages for 2 whole seasons though… lots of padding and a storyline that moves at a glacial pace seems inevitable.. They should have done it as a mini-series.

Comment by l – July 29, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see a LOT of flashback episodes in the future for this show.

Comment by ENAD – July 30, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for once think it should be just a mini-series. Don’t want the hostage situation dragged for too long.

Comment by Julie – July 29, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who says they have to keep the same hostages the entire run. It’s possible that one situation could be resolved and in turn create another issue in it’s wake. Think outside the box.

Comment by wrstlgirl – July 29, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Plus, you can’t kill the president without there being a full fledged investigation.

Comment by Jen – December 5, 2013 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one of the of the shows I really look forward to. Thr cast is great and the story interesting. But let’s see how will they pull of multiple seasons.

Comment by Maki – July 29, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess Hostages is more than a serialized drama than a mini-series. Not interested in the series and Dylan McDermott’s character Duncan Carlisle is the one person you sometimes love to hate whether he’s a rogue FBI agent or an anti-villain.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really getting sick of shows that would make awesome miniseries being drawn out into way to long of a series, then failing and getting canceled anyways.

Last Resort would have been an awesome miniseries, instead we got a mess of a show, I feel this will be the same.

Comment by Midori – July 29, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS is doing the same thing with Under The Dome. Both seem much better as a limited series.

Comment by Steven – July 29, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reminds me of Andre Braugher’s Last Resort – it’s a short-lived premise at best. Why drag it out? Doubt I’ll even bother watching it.

Comment by Jan Wooters Bruce – July 29, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It needs to be a limited series. There are so many shows that if the public knew it was only going to be on for 1 season, they would get on board. I honestly will not watch Hostages because it could get either cancelled too soon or drag on when the storyline is just one arc.

Comment by GeoDiva – July 29, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to trust that the writers have a long-term plan in place, if they are saying that they have something planned for a possible 3+ seasons. BUT, this show’s situation kind of reminds me of Prison Break, what would have greatly benefited from having 15-episode seasons and maybe only 2-3 seasons, max.

Comment by neha – July 29, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed but ill still be watching for sure.

Comment by Teag – July 29, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great great show! I hope Hostages runs to season 3 at least!

Comment by nom – November 7, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show…keep it coming…:)

Comment by BJM – December 4, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS please don’t cancel Hostages!!! I think this is a great show and would love to have a season 2! The connection between Dylan & Toni are perfect! The problem I see with the ratings is that 11 million ppl are watching The Voice and right after is The Blacklist. I think this is killing the ratings for Hostages.

Comment by AMJ13 – December 4, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS please don’t CANCEL Hostages, I watched all episodes . I would watch season two. the Voice and Blacklist are killing the ratings, but its a good show.

Comment by DURANLUZ – February 8, 2014 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOOOVVVVEEEEEEEE this show!!!! So do all my family and friends. I really hope it gets at least one more season. We will definitely be watching in the future!

Comment by Bridgette – December 5, 2013 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer it was a limited series…. I just hope this current storyline gets resolved and then they start a completely new one! I can’t stand it if this drags on & on and then loses the plot (like Lost!!)

Comment by Fiona – December 11, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve fallen in love with Hostages. I change it from The Voice right over to cbs to make sure I don’t miss a minute!!! Keep it coming.

Comment by Heather – December 16, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me too…. I love Duncan and Ellen. I really hope there are more seasons to come.

Comment by Traci – December 19, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live for monday nights…….hostages…….its not too often I am so engrossed in a series that I have to pvr an episode or watch it twice….I love the characters and the storyline… great job bruck

Comment by Donna Burton – December 27, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me pregunto por qué terminaron la serie en el episodio 13 y comenzaron nuevamente con el episodio 1?. El episodio 14 lo vi en yonkis. Y el 15 dónde está?

Comment by graciela galeano – December 30, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved season 1 and am looking forward to more.seasons to come
    Great job
    I have no complaints!!!!!

Comment by amanda – January 6, 2014 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly love this show! Hoping for another season, I think maybe Duncan and Ellen could team up to find other hostages who knows we will see!

Comment by Christa – January 6, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If there is a second season it should be the investigation and court case of all involed

Comment by paul – January 6, 2014 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show!!! I hope there is more to come!!

Comment by Tina Houze – January 8, 2014 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We watched all of the episodes of “The Hostages” and loved all of them. We watched as a couple who never like any of the same shows. What a great first season and finale for this show. Please, please bring this show back for another season!!!

Comment by Sue – January 8, 2014 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hostage is a great show,please CBS give us another season but be careful with the plot and not to drag Duncan and Ellen again.

Comment by kayode – January 14, 2014 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved watching Hostages hope there is another season

Comment by Corilee – January 14, 2014 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hostages is a great show to watch kindly give us another season

Comment by kareem – March 13, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post