Parenthood Cast Teases Weddings, Marital Strife and Season 5's 'Conveyor Belt of Babies'

Parenthood Season 5 SpoilersThe Parenthood cast bounded into the Television Critics Assoc. press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday with renewed energy, thanks in part to a full-season pickup and signs of increased support from NBC.

“We’ve definitely had our struggles and frustrations,” conceded exec producer Jason Katims, “but I’m feeling so positive right now.”

On the spoiler front, roughly eight months will have lapsed onscreen when Season 5 premieres on Sept. 26. Among the big changes when we pick up:

RELATED | Parenthood Exclusive: Matt Lauria Returning as Ryan — Find Out How Long He’ll Be Sticking Around

* Sarah has a new apartment and a new job. “In order to live more cheaply, I’m the Schneider of the building — I’m the super,” revealed Lauren Graham. “Which is fun because I’ll interact with some tenants.” And despite the return of Ray Romano’s Hank, Katims said Sarah will be putting her energy into “figuring out what her next step is in life” as opposed to “focusing solely on a relationship.”

* Katims said fans should be “a little concerned” about Joel and Julia’s marriage, which will be tested by the arrival of potential interlopers Sonya Walger and David Denman, not to mention her decision to be a stay-at-home mom. “There’s a major role reversal in the fact that these construction opportunities are suddenly coming Joel’s way,” noted Sam Jaeger. “We’re going to see the dynamic [between Joel and Julia] change a lot.”

RELATED | Parenthood EP Previews a New Path for Sarah that Will ‘Let Her Shine’

* Crosby and Jasmine are adjusting to life with a new baby under their roof, something Dax Shepard knows a little something about, having just welcomed his first child with Kristen Bell in real life. “Now that I have one, I love it,” Shepard said of working with what he jokingly called “a conveyor belt of babies” on the set.

* Amber and Ryan (the returning Matt Lauria) are seriously contemplating marriage, although Katims was mum on whether an actual wedding would take place. That didn’t stop Graham from joking that mother and daughter should have a “double wedding.”

1. Rob says:

Exec producer Jason Katims not Ritter haha. Minor mistake but amazing article as usual.

• Michael Ausiello says:

FIXED!

• Amanda says:

Crosby and Jasmine are not first time parents!?!

• Karrah says:

Ha, true! It is Crosby’s first time parenting a baby but they definitely do have a kid already…

• JBC says:

Thank You for clearing that up. I knew they weren’t first time parents.

• schu says:

I know! If anything this should be easier for Jasmine, she raised Jabar for his first couple years by herself! I feel like he will be shown as being a very good big brother though, he’ll probably be doing a better job with the baby than Crosby will.
          So excited for this show to come back, and for a full season!

• HM says:

Jasmines mum helped her and she had already raised kids so it may be harder for Jasmine if her mum is taking a back seat. She may also struggle with having to share decisions and responsibilities with Crosby.

2. Joey says:

Great scoop about season 5 and the characters. I can’t wait to watch the new season in September.

3. Can’t wait for Crosby & Jasmine’s newborn baby when Season Five begins on September 26th.

4. Elly says:

I love that show so much, I’m glad people finally started realizing how great it is. I think it’s one of the few shows that’s never waivered in quality or authenticity.

5. Mandy says:

Are we going to be seeing more of and Haddie this season?

6. Kaitlynn Smith says:

Reblogged this on Friends, Waffles, and Work and commented:
    I can’t wait!

7. LOL says:

Pity it’s now going up against Scandal & Elementary. It won’t do well on Thursdays.

• JBC says:

Since I don’t watch Scandal or Elementary that will work for me.

• twilight123 says:

I know!! I am so excited that NBC gave them a full season order and seems to be putting some renewed faith in Parenthood after all these years. But Thursdays @ 10 really seems like a death slot to me.

8. ... says:

I like the idea of a Joel/Julia role reversal, but introducing characters who may lead them astray is the type of cheap, melodramatic writing that Parenthood falls into too often. Couple that with Sarah continuing to have no direction as a character (and not in an intentional way – it just seems like they have zero idea what to do with her) and a “fairy tale” wedding for Amber/Ryan (this is Parenthood, they’re obviously getting married) without them working on any of his issues and season five seems like it could be very underwhelming.

• liz says:

I agree with you on the Joel/Julia front. Having either of them consider infidelity is just not who they are and if it goes any further than a passing thought, I’ll really lose respect.

• M3rc Nate says:

100% agree especially about the Joel/Julia part and the cheap/melodrama writing part, which i cant stand about Parenthood, on one hand it gets a lot of things right but then it cheapens itself with so many cheap moments. Its also sad cause Joel was an amazing stay at home father and was faithful even though there were all those single moms that wanted him…and shes gets tempted to cheat with “Roy” being a stay at home mom for what…a few months? Talk about a weak marriage.

• Justin says:

It’s a 22 episode season. There’s plenty of time for everything to make sense without jumping to conclusions before we’ve even seen the season. Especially Amber/Ryan. I doubt they’ll just jump into wedding mode episode one.

9. Amy says:

I love Phood!

10. Dmac says:

Oh please Sarah is not going to focus “solely” on her relationships made me spit out my coffee…that is all she does, one guy after another and at times they overlap. After how she broke up with Mark she deserves to be alone Hank or no Hank. Her character has had zero growth over the years a revolving door of men and jobs. Speaking of jobs, how in hell does she keep getting them her resume has to suck.

• J. Norman says:

Sarah has not made one good decision since the show has been on the air.

She really outdid herself when (after her brother went out on a limb for her) proceeded to
      1) demand a raise after only a few weeks at a time when 20% of the work force was being laid off and :
      2) Have an affair with the big boss – again after being there only a few weeks.

Yep, pretty realistic (sarcasm)

• JB Smooove says:

Right????? I generally like my subordinates to wait 3-4 months before things get physical. They have to pass their probationary period.

11. Chablis says:

DVR will b working ot on Thursday’s .

12. Annie says:

I can not stand the character of Hank. IfSarah ends up with him, I will quit the show.

13. Annie says:

Sorry, should stated as: If Sarah ends up with him.

14. Karen says:

Would like to see Bonnie Bedelia (Camille) involved in a plot line. I was really captivated several years ago when she and Zeke were having issues.

15. sarah says:

I love this show but not Julia and Joel’s storyline for the upcoming season.

16. I think the very fact that Sarah has not found a solid path for her life and had different romantic escapades makes this show even more realistic. What family doesn’t have a Sarah who just can’t get it all together? She is sweet and means well but can’t seem to make anything work. Well what a surprise that there may be someone in a family like that!

17. Linda says:

I love this show and find the plot very realisitic. I actually see same characteristics in my own sisters, brother in law and friends. I LOVE HANK, so keep him around too. I really like Amber too – kinda reminds me of my own independent, bohemia type daugter. Zeke is fun to watch as well, always outspoken even if misguides sometimes.

18. Molly says:

Amber and Ryan are too young for a wedding. And frankly her storyline is getting boring and so is Sarah’s. I really hope there is no wedding for either of them.

19. Caro says:

Oh NO! My ALL TIME fav moment is when Joel told Julia “I will never cheat on you” in S02E18! So the writers better stick with that!!!

20. Gloria says:

I am getting the feeling that Camille is leaving the show. Please don’t let this happen.