Fall TV Preview

Parenthood Cast Teases Weddings, Marital Strife and Season 5′s 'Conveyor Belt of Babies'

Parenthood Season 5 SpoilersThe Parenthood cast bounded into the Television Critics Assoc. press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday with renewed energy, thanks in part to a full-season pickup and signs of increased support from NBC.

“We’ve definitely had our struggles and frustrations,” conceded exec producer Jason Katims, “but I’m feeling so positive right now.”

On the spoiler front, roughly eight months will have lapsed onscreen when Season 5 premieres on Sept. 26. Among the big changes when we pick up:

RELATED | Parenthood Exclusive: Matt Lauria Returning as Ryan — Find Out How Long He’ll Be Sticking Around

* Sarah has a new apartment and a new job. “In order to live more cheaply, I’m the Schneider of the building — I’m the super,” revealed Lauren Graham. “Which is fun because I’ll interact with some tenants.” And despite the return of Ray Romano’s Hank, Katims said Sarah will be putting her energy into “figuring out what her next step is in life” as opposed to “focusing solely on a relationship.”

* Katims said fans should be “a little concerned” about Joel and Julia’s marriage, which will be tested by the arrival of potential interlopers Sonya Walger and David Denman, not to mention her decision to be a stay-at-home mom. “There’s a major role reversal in the fact that these construction opportunities are suddenly coming Joel’s way,” noted Sam Jaeger. “We’re going to see the dynamic [between Joel and Julia] change a lot.”

RELATED | Parenthood EP Previews a New Path for Sarah that Will ‘Let Her Shine’

* Crosby and Jasmine are adjusting to life with a new baby under their roof, something Dax Shepard knows a little something about, having just welcomed his first child with Kristen Bell in real life. “Now that I have one, I love it,” Shepard said of working with what he jokingly called “a conveyor belt of babies” on the set.

* Amber and Ryan (the returning Matt Lauria) are seriously contemplating marriage, although Katims was mum on whether an actual wedding would take place. That didn’t stop Graham from joking that mother and daughter should have a “double wedding.”

Tags: ,

Comments (38)

• Exec producer Jason Katims not Ritter haha. Minor mistake but amazing article as usual.

Comment by Rob – July 27, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FIXED!

Comment by Michael Ausiello – July 27, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Crosby and Jasmine are not first time parents!?!

Comment by Amanda – July 27, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ha, true! It is Crosby’s first time parenting a baby but they definitely do have a kid already…

Comment by Karrah – July 27, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank You for clearing that up. I knew they weren’t first time parents.

Comment by JBC – July 27, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know! If anything this should be easier for Jasmine, she raised Jabar for his first couple years by herself! I feel like he will be shown as being a very good big brother though, he’ll probably be doing a better job with the baby than Crosby will.
          So excited for this show to come back, and for a full season!

Comment by schu – July 27, 2013 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Jasmines mum helped her and she had already raised kids so it may be harder for Jasmine if her mum is taking a back seat. She may also struggle with having to share decisions and responsibilities with Crosby.

Comment by HM – August 6, 2013 12:58 PM PDT
  • Great scoop about season 5 and the characters. I can’t wait to watch the new season in September.

Comment by Joey – July 27, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Crosby & Jasmine’s newborn baby when Season Five begins on September 26th.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 27, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that show so much, I’m glad people finally started realizing how great it is. I think it’s one of the few shows that’s never waivered in quality or authenticity.

Comment by Elly – July 27, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are we going to be seeing more of and Haddie this season?

Comment by Mandy – July 27, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Friends, Waffles, and Work and commented:
    I can’t wait!

Comment by Kaitlynn Smith – July 27, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pity it’s now going up against Scandal & Elementary. It won’t do well on Thursdays.

Comment by LOL – July 27, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since I don’t watch Scandal or Elementary that will work for me.

Comment by JBC – July 27, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know!! I am so excited that NBC gave them a full season order and seems to be putting some renewed faith in Parenthood after all these years. But Thursdays @ 10 really seems like a death slot to me.

Comment by twilight123 – July 28, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of a Joel/Julia role reversal, but introducing characters who may lead them astray is the type of cheap, melodramatic writing that Parenthood falls into too often. Couple that with Sarah continuing to have no direction as a character (and not in an intentional way – it just seems like they have zero idea what to do with her) and a “fairy tale” wedding for Amber/Ryan (this is Parenthood, they’re obviously getting married) without them working on any of his issues and season five seems like it could be very underwhelming.

Comment by ... – July 27, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you on the Joel/Julia front. Having either of them consider infidelity is just not who they are and if it goes any further than a passing thought, I’ll really lose respect.

Comment by liz – July 27, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree especially about the Joel/Julia part and the cheap/melodrama writing part, which i cant stand about Parenthood, on one hand it gets a lot of things right but then it cheapens itself with so many cheap moments. Its also sad cause Joel was an amazing stay at home father and was faithful even though there were all those single moms that wanted him…and shes gets tempted to cheat with “Roy” being a stay at home mom for what…a few months? Talk about a weak marriage.

Comment by M3rc Nate – July 28, 2013 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a 22 episode season. There’s plenty of time for everything to make sense without jumping to conclusions before we’ve even seen the season. Especially Amber/Ryan. I doubt they’ll just jump into wedding mode episode one.

Comment by Justin – July 28, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Phood!

Comment by Amy – July 28, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please Sarah is not going to focus “solely” on her relationships made me spit out my coffee…that is all she does, one guy after another and at times they overlap. After how she broke up with Mark she deserves to be alone Hank or no Hank. Her character has had zero growth over the years a revolving door of men and jobs. Speaking of jobs, how in hell does she keep getting them her resume has to suck.

Comment by Dmac – July 28, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah has not made one good decision since the show has been on the air.

She really outdid herself when (after her brother went out on a limb for her) proceeded to
      1) demand a raise after only a few weeks at a time when 20% of the work force was being laid off and :
      2) Have an affair with the big boss – again after being there only a few weeks.

Yep, pretty realistic (sarcasm)

Comment by J. Norman – July 28, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right????? I generally like my subordinates to wait 3-4 months before things get physical. They have to pass their probationary period.

Comment by JB Smooove – July 28, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DVR will b working ot on Thursday’s .

Comment by Chablis – July 28, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you dvr it won’t get the ratings though, right?

Comment by HM – August 6, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can not stand the character of Hank. IfSarah ends up with him, I will quit the show.

Comment by Annie – July 28, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Hank. I think he fits in with the dynamic of the show and is a more realistic choice for Sarah

Comment by liz – July 28, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HATE Hank too. Awful, awful character. Sarah was MESSED up destroying her relationship to “help him” – lame.

Comment by Brock – July 28, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love me some Hank! (just had to say it)

Comment by twilight123 – July 28, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, should stated as: If Sarah ends up with him.

Comment by Annie – July 28, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would like to see Bonnie Bedelia (Camille) involved in a plot line. I was really captivated several years ago when she and Zeke were having issues.

Comment by Karen – July 28, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show but not Julia and Joel’s storyline for the upcoming season.

Comment by sarah – July 29, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the very fact that Sarah has not found a solid path for her life and had different romantic escapades makes this show even more realistic. What family doesn’t have a Sarah who just can’t get it all together? She is sweet and means well but can’t seem to make anything work. Well what a surprise that there may be someone in a family like that!

Comment by Maxine Starks – July 29, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and find the plot very realisitic. I actually see same characteristics in my own sisters, brother in law and friends. I LOVE HANK, so keep him around too. I really like Amber too – kinda reminds me of my own independent, bohemia type daugter. Zeke is fun to watch as well, always outspoken even if misguides sometimes.

Comment by Linda – July 29, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber and Ryan are too young for a wedding. And frankly her storyline is getting boring and so is Sarah’s. I really hope there is no wedding for either of them.

Comment by Molly – July 29, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh NO! My ALL TIME fav moment is when Joel told Julia “I will never cheat on you” in S02E18! So the writers better stick with that!!!

Comment by Caro – July 29, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love the show can,t wait for it to come back on.the music they play in it is awesome…and I miss Haddie. Please let expand her music ability.

Comment by Susan Peace – August 5, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am getting the feeling that Camille is leaving the show. Please don’t let this happen.

Comment by Gloria – November 11, 2013 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post