TVLine Items: Burn Notice Spin-Off Buzz, a New Criminal Mind, Schmidt's Girl Returns and More!

Burn Notice Spin-OffAre Burn Notice‘s Sam Axe and Jesse Porter spin-off bound? The characters’ alter egos Bruce Campbell and Coby Bell are game for another go-round, TV Guide Magazine reports.

“It’s definitely something Bruce and I would both be into,” Bell says, citing preliminary overtures from USA Network. “It makes sense. It’s just a matter of lining things up.”

For his part, creator Matt Nix “would love to” tackle the project, either via a new series or a TV-movie (à la 2010′s The Fall of Sam Axe).

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Jennifer Lopez may soon be back in the American Idol biz. The former judge, as rumored, is reportedly a frontrunner to return to the Fox  series for its revamped Season 13, per The Hollywood Reporter. Also in the running to sit at the dais: Idol alum Jennifer Hudson, Season 12 newbie Keith Urban and Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am.

• Schmidt’s love triangle woes aren’t over just yet. Merritt Weaver is set to return to New Girl for at least two episodes this fall, EW.com reports, reprising her role as Elizabeth, Schmidt’s college-turned-present day girlfriend. Season 3 of New Girl bows Sept. 17.

• Esai Morales has boarded Criminal Minds for its upcoming ninth season. Per TVGuide.com, the NYPD Blue/Caprica vet will recur as the new BAU section chief.

• Starz has ordered a second season of its Michael Bay-produced pirate drama Black Sails, six months ahead of its early 2014 premiere.

• Lady Gaga will take the stage at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards (airing Aug. 25), performing for the first time since undergoing hip surgery in February.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (32)

• Jennifer Hudson is not an Idol champ, is she?

Comment by Luciano – July 26, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, the real winners almost always lose the show. She came in 3rd or 4th if I remember correctly.

Comment by Midori – July 26, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, she was like 7th, but she’s generally more famous then most of the winners who came in 1st. :)

Comment by Badpenny – July 26, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t Rueben Studdard win that season?

Comment by Mila – July 26, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, Fantasia won that season.

Comment by Someone – July 26, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has been fixed. – Mgmt.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 26, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was a bit of wishful thinking, right Matt?

Comment by Buffy0531 – July 27, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • J Lo isn’t needed for American Idol. They fire everyone, one step ahead, and then want to rehire J Lo, two steps back.

Worse judges are possible, but I’d rather have three judges andtwo of them new, but keep Keith Urban, I like him.

Comment by Midori – July 26, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • JLo already had the job and failed at it. They don’t need anybody who critiques performances by revealing she got “goosies.”

Comment by Larc – July 26, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love a Sam and Jesse spinoff!!

Comment by Elyse – July 26, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too! Love those characters!

Comment by Liza180 – July 26, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • DO THIS! Burn Notice has been too serious for the past few years. They need to go back to the lighthearted feel of the first few seasons. In fact, make it even funnier! Use up some of the ideas you didn’t get to use on The Good Guys.

Comment by KevyB – July 27, 2013 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once they wrap up the whole Michael Weston being burnt storyline, a spinoff with Sam and Jesse would be a lot of fun. I still love the show, but I miss the early season’s lightheartedness in the recent seasons of Burn Notice as the stakes got raised higher and higher.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – July 26, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. Really miss the early shows with a lighter feeling where they were just out to help the little guy.

Comment by Ace – July 27, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love Schmidt and Elizabeth together! They are a total hoot. I wish Merritt would stay on the show and I love her on Nurse Jackie. She is such an underrated actress.

Comment by Liza180 – July 26, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I love Schmidt and Elizabeth, much more than Schmidt and Cece. I hope they keep her on the show.

Comment by dan – July 26, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love a Sam and Jesse AND FIONA spinoff!
    Why is Burn Notice going away, anyway???

Comment by Daveedt – July 26, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news a spin off from Burn Notice. Sam is my favorite and would be glad to watch. Long live Chuck Finley, oh and Jessie too.

Comment by Sherry – July 26, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still be missing the Sam Axe & Michael Weston show chemistry with a spin off. How many spin offs really end up as successful as their originals anyway? I will still give it a chance if they come up with a spin off, but will miss Jeffrey Donovan.

Comment by paula – July 26, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on-board with Same/Jesse spin-off. Just make sure Sharon Gless has some role in it. BN is ending too soon. Just like The Closer. Major Crimes has been doing pretty well – mainly because the entire “supporting” cast of TC was so good.

Comment by ChicagoDan – July 26, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE Sam Axe & Jesse Porter!

Comment by Eliza – July 26, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They shouldn’t have released anything about the spin off until after the finale of burn notice. I mean there goes the suspense of danger these two might be in

Comment by Gail – July 26, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … and with no mention of Fi does this kinda confirm she cops it in the finale :(

Though maybe this is all some kinda double bluff and EVERYONE DIES.

But I agree with your “I really didn’t want to know about this right now” stance.

Comment by Fido – July 26, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If watch a Burn Notice spin off, I can’t believe it’s ending anyways. I’d rather see just Sam with a new crew. I like Colby Bell on The Game and they need to keep him as a regular. He’s not that great on Burn Notice but has gotten better. Sam and Jesse just don’t have the same chemistry as Sam and Michael

Comment by Ram510 – July 26, 2013 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Sam Axe spin-off would be great. I’m not a fan of Coby ever since Third Watch was cancelled. I agree that BN is ending way to early, but from what I’ve read online, seasons 5 & 6 ratings weren’t consistent enough week to week like prior seasons to keep it past 7.

Comment by Keith (@ShadesofBlak) – July 27, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Lopez return to Idol? SLOW MOTION NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Comment by Pavanne – July 27, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Of the three of them from her seasons, she was the biggest disappointment! Keep Keith, bring in someone like Adam Lambert or J-Hud (who both understand the process these kids are going through), and then either a respected producer, or performer who actually sings their own material.P!nk comes to mind, but she’s way too honest for AI’s liking.

Comment by Buffy0531 – July 27, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Burn Notice spinoff Idea – reboot of “Switch” ( younguns may not know that show – Sharon reprises her roll) with Sam and Jesse. :-D BTW – Where is TV Line’s performer of the week??? Jeffery deserves that for that latest episode. Big time.

Comment by kirads09 – July 27, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can the burn notice spin off just be more burn notice?

Comment by Kayla – July 27, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know fans of New Girl are supposed to be rooting for Schmidt and Cece, but I absolutely LOVED the introduction of Elizabeth last season. I’m officially off the Cece train and am hoping she and Schmidt can just be friends. Sadly, that’s probably not what will happen if Elizabeth is only scheduled for two episodes.

Comment by Ashlyn – July 27, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE Schmidt and Elizabeth!!! I agree with everything you said and I have to add, Schmidt is a much better person with Elizabeth IMO.

Comment by Ryan – July 28, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Merritt Wever not Weaver?

Comment by Susie – July 27, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post