Glee Cast, Crew Gathers for Monteith Memorial

Cory Monteith MemorialThe cast and crew of Fox’s Glee came together Thursday to remember their friend and co-worker Cory Monteith.

The “emotional celebration” of Monteith’s life was closed to the public, but 20th Century Fox TV (which produces the series) released a statement thanking fans “for their continued outpouring of love and support.”

RELATEDGlee Season 5 Production and Premiere Date Delayed in Wake of Cory Monteith’s Death

Glee creator Ryan Murphy recently told TVLine that star (and Monteith’s girlfriend) Lea Michele had been instrumental in planning the memorial gathering.

Monteith passed away on July 13 from a toxic mix of alcohol and heroin.

RELATED | Glee Creator Ryan Murphy Previews Plans for a Finn Tribute Episode, Talks Season 5 Delay

20th Century Fox TV’s complete statement is below:

Today, Ryan Murphy and Lea Michele gathered the cast, crew and producers of Glee, along with colleagues from the network and studio, to share memories and music in an emotional celebration of the life of Cory Monteith. We thank the public for their continued outpouring of love and support as we grieve our friend and colleague during this difficult time.

1. Tess says:

Prayers with Lea. I’ll always miss him :(

2. Mark says:

It’s sad how it’s been almost 2 weeks and it still hurts! That just goes to show much an impact he left on his friends and fans no matter how little! RIP Cory

3. Elly says:

It’s so weird not to know him but hurt from him passing. He seemed like such a nice guy. Not a fan of Lea but I really respect and admire how she’s handled this. Prayers to her and his family, RIP Cory.

• Lorrie Swan says:

I totally agree. I just can’t believe he is really gone. Prayers and thoughts to Cory’s family in Canada and to his professional family in the US. Such an amazing person and talent gone too soon.

4. LilAngel says:

all my thoughts and prayers to Lea. I cannot even imagine how difficult it is for her to do all of this, she is amazing

• merp says:

Prayers for lea blah blah rofl what about his parents you selfish little twit

• Lauren Rife says:

Calling someone a selfish little twit when they have done nothing but express sympathy for a girl who lost the love of her life is incredibly immature. Your commenting privilege on this site should be revoked.

• Paige says:

While the comment was rude, I have the same sentiment. It’s all “Prayers for Lea” which is fine & dandy, this is a terrible loss of her. But he certainly has non-famous family & friends who are likely suffering as much or worse.

• dude says:

His parents are suffering horribly I’m sure but while it’s a different kind of pain/loss, I don’t think you can argue losing the person you’re in love with, the person you’re planning a future with, is less painful than losing a son. It’s different but in no way less painful. You clearly have never been in love.

• scooby says:

@dude, that’s an incredibly cruel thing to say. Also, losing a child is worse as a general rule. Parents typically never get over the fact that their child went first. The psychological pain is devastating and many marriages can’t withstand the strain. As to talking about Lea so much, folks, this may seem harsh but she’s more famous than Cory’s relatives. You can sympathize with their loss, but you won’t know much, if anything, about them, nor do you have a right to know. It’s easier to focus on the person who’s more prominently in the public eye and in this case is the most active in planning memorials. She’s a take charge person who knows things need to be done and this is something she can still do for Cory. Once this is done, she’ll be working and probably trying to get through it that way, but will she really let herself take a moment to grieve? I don’t know. I hope so for her sake. Right now she’s doing something extraordinary when all she probably wants to do is curl up into a ball. Grumbling that all you hear is ‘Lea this and Lea that’ is not fair. She’s not saying she deserves the attention, and Glee is a popular show so of course fans are gonna want to know how the family they see–the show family–is coping. It’s none of your business what Cory’s mom and the rest of his personal family is doing. They’re not famous, they didn’t ask for your awareness. Offer sympathy, remember Cory, and leave them alone. Lea’s in the public eye and when people in the public eye go through things, they get more attention. It’s natural. It doesn’t mean anyone sympathizes with her more.

• Fran says:

Wait, what was cruel about dude’s comment??? He was just pointing out that the loss of a significant other can be just as painful as losing a child to some people. Yes, generally the loss of a child is worse- but that’s not a set in stone thing. Some people can’t deal with the loss of their significant other and can’t fall in love again. They can’t be replaced any more than a child can. People grieve in different ways and at different levels. There’s no arguing over whose pain is worse- every situation is different.

• A says:

Aside from the rude insult at the end of your comment, I kind of have to agree as well. It’s nice that everyone is praying for Lea, but so many of the comments I have read make it seem like she was the only person that mattered in his life. Of course she was important in his life but what about his parents. What about his siblings? His extended family? His close friends? It’s not all about Lea. There is more than one person in someone’s life that may be grieving. His parents for one should be placed on the same level of people’s sympathy as Lea if not more so. It’s not about not feeling for Lea’s pain because it is significant. It’s about acknowledging that she is not the only person that may be grieving this loss.

• dude says:

I think wishing anyone well is the opposite of selfish. You making this about yourself by going on a pathetic, pointless rant, is selfish.

• Claudia says:

Don’t listen to the replies. Some people just don’t get it…

• Ruby says:

You do realize that Lea was probably the person who was closest to him, right? He apparently had a not so good relationship with his dad, and you don’t hear ANYTHING about his mom. It’s not unreasonable for people to feel the worst for Lea. She probably would have ended up marrying him, that’s as close as two people can get. So take your nasty, inappropriate comments elsewhere, nobody needs that right now.

• scooby says:

His comments may’ve been inappropriate, Ruby, but you’re overstepping by assuming Lea was the closest person to him. It seems that way because that’s the press we see of Cory, him with Lea. We don’t know him even though it seems like we do, and we don’t know his family. His mom may’ve been really private. She’s not obligated to be as public as possible to prove her love for her son. Even if Lea was the closest person to him, it’s not a competition. The great thing about love is that it doesn’t have a boundary in terms of how much one person can receive or give.

• GS says:

You don’t hear about his mom because she wasn’t famous and Lea is. I can tell you as both a wife and mother, while I love my husband dearly and don’t want to imagine life without him, if anything happened to the child I carried in my body for 9 months and went through 20 hours of horrible labor to bring into this world, you might as well dig a hole beside him because I can’t imagine living if he’s not. You can fall in love again even if you can’t actually replace another person. You can never forget your child nor can you replace them. You can’t even compare ‘couple’ love to ‘parental’ love so don’t.

• Meredith says:

I don’t even have kids, but I’m certain this is true. When kids first learn about the meaning of death, they begin to understand that they are going to lose their parent’s one day. We know that we will likely have a length of life span similar to that of our siblings, friends, and significant others, so we are aware of the possibility we’re going to have to carry on without them. But nobody ever thinks they’re going to have to bury their own child, and when they do have to, it’s an incomprehensible loss. I don’t minimize the grief felt by Lea, his friends, or his other family members, because I’m sure they’re suffering terribly in their own way, but to imply his parents aren’t experiencing a profound loss because they’re not saying, “Look at me! My son died and I’m so, so sad!” is way out of bounds.

• Stana says:

While I get what you’re saying- I disagree in a sense. As a mother myself, I cant imagine living without my son. Nor can I imagine living without my husband. Without my husband I wouldn’t have my son. I guess what I’m trying to say is that even though technically you can fall in love again after losing a spouse, that doesn’t mean its going to happen or that you want it to hsppen. Sometimes a couple relationship cant be replaced. Loss hurts no matter what and I dont think we need to argue about which is worse. For me they would be equally devastating and I thank my stars everyday that I haven’t had to go through either loss.

• Jaime says:

Some people can’t fall in love again though. You’re right that there is no comparing couple love to parental love- both can be as equally devastating. It all depends on the situation. Does a childless couple not grieve as much if their significant other dies? It’s not fair to compare these things.

• DeeKayTee says:

Amen to this! I am a mother of three boys and I can fully attest to this sentiment and as horrible as I feel for Lea and everyone involved I was also thinking what about all of the heartfelt sympathy for his family.

• Lori says:

Most people have extended sympathy toward Cory’s mom and brother but Cory’s Dad basically abandoned him and they had been estranged for years so how much sympathy does his Dad deserve? Plus, let’s be honest…how great a family could Cory have had if his parents divorce when he was 7 was handled so badly it turned the kid into a druggie by the age of 13? I feel sorrier for Lea because I think she and Cory were very much in love and she was probably the best thing that ever happened to Cory! It’s just a shame that the greatest love can’t undo parental damage!

• Henna says:

No, love can´t undo ones mistakes. We all have to do that for ourselves, no one can do that for you, no one. And I don´t think you or anyone else can have a say in why he turned into an addict. Blaming it on his parents divorce just shows how little you know.
          I know addicts who come from broken homes, and addicts who´s parents still are together.
          I also know ppl who come from crazy circcumstances such as abuse, war etc. and they didn´t end up a junkie.
          Parental damage only goes so far, and for all intents and purposes Lea seemed to be his big love and not even she could make him quit. That is a choice he had to make for himself, which sadly he couldn´t do.
          In any way, all the best wishes for all his family and friends.

• Meredith says:

If anything, I might feel more sympathy for his father, because now he can never try to heal the wounds of the past. My friend’s father died a few years ago after a long battle with cancer. Everyone was ready, but it was still awful for them. My sister-in-law’s father, who was a mean and chronic drunk, died very suddenly of a heart attack the same year. It’s been a much harder row for my s-i-l, her mother, and her siblings because they never had the chance to build a different relationship with him before he died. So, yeah. Carpe diem, my friends. Try not to leave loose threads hanging.

5. merp says:

Lea didn’t give birth to him nor did she raise im

• Ruby says:

Maybe not, but she loved the hell out of him and that counts for a lot.

• LilAngel says:

So what do you mean: that only parents are allowed to grieve? Lea Michele was his girlfriend: just read their interviews and you will understand how much they meant to each other.
      I admire Lea because if I was in her position (I’m a woman in my twenties) I would not be able to do anything except staying in bed crying

6. aunt_deen@comcast.net says:

Wow. I bet your mom is proud of you.

7. Tiffany Eckert-Maret says:

HOW RUDE ARE YOU!!! I hope Michael Ausiello blocks you!!! SOOOO RUUUUUUDEEEE

8. Tiffany Eckert-Maret says:

Thank you for removing merp’s comment…

I am so glad that the friends and co-workers were able to gather to be together to suppoer each other and mourn this young man’s tragic end. Glee will never be the same without Finn :(

9. Michelle says:

So, so, so sad :'( still can’t believe it. prayers for his family, friends & Lea.

No Lea didnt give birth to him but she was his girlfriend..She lost her love so she has every right to be devasted..I can’t imagine what she or his family are going through.

• A says:

She has every right to be devastated, of course. But his death is being turned to one-person sympathy party for Lea Michelle and its ignoring the effect his death may have had on other important people in his life like his own fam.

10. EJ says:

She’s being regarded as if she’s his widow of many years. Please.

• Kim says:

I didn’t know the right to grieve was accumulated by the number of years spent with someone. My niece was only 2 when she died and we were just as devastated by it as if we had known her for decades. Everyone experiences loss differently but it’s horrible to try to dictate the importance someone had in the lives of the people around them.

11. Linda says:

Cory wasn’t even my boyfriend and even now tears are still at the surface so I can just imagine how Lea feels and will for some time to come. I am a big fan of both of them and was so glad they got together for real. Wasn’t one of Cory’s sayings don’t be sad because it ended smile because it happened so I like to think that we had Cory for as long as could be and he would want us to smile after the tears when we think about him. I remember the end of Steel Magnolia when Sally Field is grieving her daughter, take a look if you can; it rings true about how one might feel about a/the loss. We love and miss you Cory.

12. Cheri says:

Goes to show everyone who Cory really was. A wonderful guy with a heart of gold. There was never an unkind word from anyone. A gentle soul full of grace who gave all that he could. He knew where he came from and knew he had to give back. Everyone mourns the loss of this gentle kind soul. All who knew him was made a better person for it. What a kind gesture of those who attended his memorial. All of Glee will feel Cory’s being gone from on out. Thanks for sharing the news of his memorial.

• Two says:

“Goes to show everyone who Cory really was”

So true. Through his death he showed everyone who he really was — a junkie. He deserves no more or less mourning than the homeless guy who OD’d under a bridge last night. How many of you have those folks in your prayers? Thought so. But let’s be sure to praise Cory because he was a pretty boy on TV. Now everyone rush in and tell me how rude and insulting this post was. But think about it. The truth hurts.

• Zayne says:

I think your wording was a little crass but I do agree with the general sentiment. I know drug addiction is an illness but people are talking about him like he was in some tragic twist of fate accident. He had a problem and was, for reasons unknown, alone in a hotel room just a couple months out of rehab. That was a recipe for disaster.

My heart goes out to his family because I’m sure losing a child under any circumstances is horrific. I’m sad for Lea because I’m sure she loved him, but she’s not some widow of a 50 year marriage or something. Although I guess if everyone focuses on her and it keeps the focus off of his family and gives them some peace, that’s a pleasant side effect.

• cas says:

Well if you were in a 50 year marriage odds are you would be in your 70s and old people die, so you are probably more prepared and accepting to it. Since we are talking harsh truth, that is how it is. I feel like you don’t have to be with someone for 50 years for it to make some kind of impact on you and everyone deals with it in a different way. The only reason people are saying they feel bad for her is because she is a known star. They don’t know his family or much about them, so they relate to her more. I’ve been with my fiancé for 7 years, and if he died I would be devastated and I am sure it would take me a long time to move on. But I guess since I haven’t been with him for 50 years I don’t get to grieve as much.

• cas says:

I hope someone in your family has a drug problem some day. Just because he used drugs, doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve to be mourned. You can still be a good person but have a drug addiction. I’m sure you wouldn’t understand that as it would mean you have to have some empathy for people. People know about his passing and know who he is. Nobody knows if a homeless guy OD’s and who they are, so how could they mourn?

13. Cheri says:

I have to say that Glee or this earth will never be the same without him.

14. Linda says:

“It’s essentially the toxic effect of two depressant substances in combination, being really hazardous,”
    The substances work on two different parts of the brain and shut down a person’s respiratory centre in the brain until their breathing starts to slow, then stops.
    “You’d be under the effects of the drugs to the point where you wouldn’t be aware or be able to call for help because you’d be sedated.”
    Such overdoses often happen when people are alone and have abstained from using drugs for a while, a combination of alcohol and opiates is just a huge risk.”
    “If he was alone and it appears he was using alcohol, those would be two dangerous combinations but of course the stigma and the shame around addiction often has that unintended consequence of driving people into an environment where they might be alone.”
    Heroin in Vancouver, often called China White, is typically strong and comes from South East Asia, compared to Los Angeles, where the drug tends to originate from Latin America.
    R.I.P. CORY

15. karenb says:

I still can’t believe he’s gone. 😢

16. Katie says:

I can just picture them all singing “I’ll Cover You”. Ugh. My feels.

17. Fran says:

Sigh…. I’m sure people think of his parents as well. But since Lea was on the show with him and people feel familiar with her from watching that show… It makes sense that people are thinking of her more. There’s nothing wrong with that. There is no need to be rude.

18. Fernanda says:

all eyes on Lea. We are still sad for Cory but right now I support Lea Michelle 100%. The whole show is now in her shoulders. I want a really big storyline for Rachel after lose Finn.

19. Ryan says:

This is one of those deaths that I just wish I would wake up and find is just not true. I really am so saddened by his death

20. Chad says:

Why memorialize a piece of crap drug addict? I just don’t get it. He basically flushed his life down thew toilet. Why is he evewn worth mentioning, let alone remembering?

• A says:

This is such an ignorant comment. Maybe its because he was still a HUMAN BEING! A flawed human being, but who isn’t. Maybe he’s worth mentioning/remembering because there are people in his life who cared about him and viewers who let him into their homes once a week for the past four years and allowed him to entertain them.

• Henna says:

Are you serious??!! Maybe as the previous poster said, he was human. Flawed, just like you and me.
      I don’t understand you people. Have you never made a mistake?? Have YOU never had instances in life where you felt it wasn’t in your control? Have you never ever felt loss, grief or heartbreak and maybe started on a path that could end up being hazardous??
      If not I salute your perfect life, perfect family and friends who never make mistakes, doesn’t struggle like most of us do at some point in, and never in million years could be in danger of slipping onto a path with excess partying and what not.
      Maybe your lack of emotion and compassion towards your fellow human being is something that accomplishes all these things. But if that’s the price, I rather hold onto my compassion and take the risk. Because if you die, I still would wish YOU’re family and friends my best thoughts and I would think it sad you died, no matter what problems you had.

• Julie says:

Clearly you know nothing of addiction or the daily struggle it presents to addicts and those around them. I chose not to define Cory by a weakness, but instead by his many strengths and good points.

• cas says:

I doubt you are worth remembering or mentioning but I am sure someone will when you pass. I hope one day you will stop being so ignorant, but in order for that to happen you would probably most likely need someone close to you to have an issue with drugs. Here’s hoping.

• Meredith says:

Don’t feed the trolls, people. You’re giving it exactly what it wants when you respond.

21. Tracy says:

RIP Cory! I still can’t believe he’s gone! Glee will never be the same and neither will Lea! Our prayers are with you, Lea!

22. Tami says:

It is so hard to believe that he is gone. I started watching about 3 seasons ago. Now it’s going to be hard to watch without him. Thoughts and prayers still for all that were effected with Cory’s death.

23. good artical for me. thank you.

24. Cheri says:

People who come here to say derogatory remarks about Cory are sad people who nothing but negativity in their hearts. I feel sorry for them. I will always remember a wonderful flawed young man with a heart of gold who never said an unkind word about anyone. I would rather put my heart and thoughts onto a person of grace and goodness than a person who is rude and classless.
    Think about what we want to be. Do into others as you would others do unto you.
    I’m not going to let these despicable people get under my skin. Because I know that I have watched and seen how a person should be to people and to talk about others.

25. Mikael says:

I think so much focus is on Lea because she’s famous. She can’t grieve in private; the public eye is on her when she probably just wants to be left alone. I’m sure that makes it worse. Cory’s family has privacy to grieve. Lea does not.

26. just a glee fan says:

All of you have overlooked the true culprits in this whole issue and they are his ‘so called friends’ he happened to of ‘partied’ with just before he died. Seriously those people need to show some ‘ face-value & legal accountability. What kind of FRIEND knowenly drinks with a friend who recently left re-hab!?! Also, I find it odd that it was close to a holiday and Lea & Cory were in seperate places; not only that, but Ryan’s stupid tweet’ about Adam Lambert could of put more pressure onto Cory. Yeah, he was a grown man and yadda yadda, however heroin and alcohol addiction are two very lethal addictions separately. When combined however, the ‘ so called adult’ stands very little chance against the seductively of both drugs. So, again I say, where is the accountability of Cory’s ‘so called ‘friends’? It takes a lot of courage to stand up to anyone, especially a well known celebrity like Cory was, and to discourage their drug use. I believe he died because his ‘so called friends’ were afraid to speak up and do the right thing, and tell him “no.” Also the scum who sold or gave him heroin ( I say this because it could of came from someone he personally knew) should be sniffed out and exposed as an example as well as charged with his death. Perhaps if accountability were exercised, there would be more amazing people on this earth who actually do good in our world, and less scum out there ruining lives. Think about it, “accountability folks, dig it, not graves.”