So You Think You Can Dance Recap: This Is Crazy! Jepsen's Judging? Appalling, Baby!

Carly Rae Jepsen SYTYCDCan a single guest judge — bland as wilted leaf of iceberg lettuce, unqualified as a 2-year-old gleefully clutching the wheel of an 18-wheeler — ruin an entire two-hour telecast of an Emmy-nominated reality competition series? Maybe not entirely.

But if this week’s installment of So You Think You Can Dance was an Olympic swimmer, then Canadian songbird Carly Rae Jepsen was like a lead weight around each leg, her every mumbled utterance, her repeated (and meaningless) recitation of the word “incredible” leaving the telecast sputtering and gasping for a life line.

Honestly, Christina Applegate and Jesse Tyler Ferguson are great, but it’s time to get some folks with actual dance backgrounds, functional internal thesauruses and some hint of life behind the eyes to fill out the third slot at the table for the next few weeks. Come on, Uncle Nigel, surely you’ve got Mia Michaels and Debbie Allen in your cellphone contact list, no?

But enough of my raging against poor Carly — even if she deserves it for offering meek support of the hideous low-crotch genie pants that robbed us of Alan’s standard operating sexiness. Let’s cut to the Top 16 results and a rundown of the week’s routines:

BOTTOM 6 (BASED ON VOTES FROM LAST WEEK)
Mariah
Makenzie
Jenna
Alan
BluPrint
Curtis

SENT IMMEDIATELY TO SAFETY
Jenna (though I’m not sure why, exactly)

DANCING FOR THEIR LIVES
Mariah: Pretty much the same krump routine we saw the last time she had a solo
Makenzie: A birdlike routine to “Claire de Lune”
Alan: A stunning display of brute-force ballroom, complete with lightning-fast spins, crazy-intense posing and a good 10 seconds of cape twirling (INCREDIBLE!)
BluPrint: Some decent animation work that didn’t seem to incorporate last week’s note about his dead face
Curtis: Lighthearted tapping that didn’t make an enormous impression

ELIMINATED AT THE END OF THE SHOW
Mariah
BluPrint

And now my quick take on the night’s eight competitive routines.

What did you think of this week’s SYTYCD? Who was best in show? Who will and should be at risk? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Ug. This season. I am not engaged at ALL and the bad judges are not helping. I am not connecting with anyone. I like Aaron but that’s about it right now.

• cjinsd says:

I agree about not being engaged at all this season. Usually there are at least a couple. I don’t think I can recognize all of them.

• Danielle says:

Agreed. The routines haven’t been stellar, the dancers are faltering under subpar routines, and the crappy judging, from Mary’s screams to Nigel’s obvious favoritism to the absolutely awful guest judges (Paula? Sports Announcer? Carly?! Come on) is all adding up and making me ragey. It’s like Nigel wants viewers to fall out of love this season to make the cancellation easier to deal with when it comes down.

• KevyB says:

Let me add to the pile-on. While I’m liking Aaron/Jasmine and Makenzie/Nico, it’s all I can do to keep facing the screen while this show is on. Especially when Fik-Shun and Amy are onscreen. Why is it that other dancers are required to stretch and pretend they are adults yet these two get routines week after week which requires them to dance like middle-schoolers? I watch this show to see dancers dance outside their comfort level both technically and performance-wise. These two are having styles completely transformed to suit both their comfort zones. BORING!

And, Michael, the reason Malece can eat like that has a lot less to do with her natural metabolism and a lot more to do with the fact that she is dancing hours and hours each day!

• Sly says:

Maybe it is SYTYCD fatigue for me, but this isn’t a good season — dancers, judges, choreography . . . all just kind of there.

2. analythinker says:

My tongue got twisted at “functional internal thesauruses”. But I kept going :D

3. GTS says:

I didn’t think Jenna did so great with the prop. She messed up the final removal of the straps, and another one kinda got stuck for a bit before falling back into place. And when she grabbed the ropes on top of Tucker, she seemed to be climbing something on a jungle gym, not beautifully standing on top of her partner. Tucker, however, did well with them. When he undid the Velcro, it seemed very natural.
    ——
    I’m a little tired about the bad celebrity judges lately. The first performance was actually critiqued by Carly Rae Jepsen has having “nice facial expressions” and a “good costume”. I’m pretty sure the dancers don’t even get to choose their costumes, right?
    ——
    Nigel I didn’t do so great sending the dancers home. Mariah’s was quick and easy, because she obviously knew she was going home. With the boys, he just say pros and cons about the all, and on the last person (BluPrint), said the pros and cons, then said “And you won’t be continuing on.”

• Easycinderella says:

I think she actually said nice “face expressions.”

• Aaron says:

Did you not understand when they talked about Jenna not being able to practice with the bands prior to the day of taping? The velcro got stuck for both of them – once for her and once for him. Either way i don’t get the hatred for her – I think she is an AMAZING dancer, and a choreographer friend of mine that has worked with her says that she really can do everything – and that she has a really great attitude.

4. emma_h says:

I agree about the guest judges. Carly has been the worst so far. At least Christina A. has been on Broadway and has a little knowledge. Where are the wonderful choreographers and dancers that judged during the auditions and in Vegas? Those are the people that need to be there! By bringing in people like Carly, Nigel is basically admitting to the fact that they already have their minds made up before the show even starts, so it doesn’t matter who’s in the 3rd chair.

5. Sara says:

Christina Applegate gave some of the best critiques the dancers have had all season (including from Nigel and Mary.) Other than her, I feel like the guest judges have no idea what they are talking about.

I am really annoyed by the fact that Jenna didn’t have to dance her solo and was automatically saved. What does it say about her that she has been in the bottom 3 almost every single time? Usually a contestant will have a bounce back out of the bottom the next week as the audience gets a fever of “she/he shouldn’t have been there!” and is compelled to vote (that has to be the only reason Alexis wasn’t in the bottom this week, right?). The audience hasn’t done this for her, which suggests a HUGE disconnect between her and the audience. If this competition is for AMERICA’S FAVORITE dancer, when will America’s consistent non-votes for her be taken into account?

I am starting to remember why I gave up on this show for a couple of seasons.

Other than that, I love Jasmine and Aaron. They are a fantastic duo and both great dancers. Paul has definitely snuck up on me. He has really been growing. Fik-shun and Amy didn’t blow me away this week. I like them, I like Tice, but for some reason tonight’s routine bored me. I don’t know if it was the music or what, but I am pretty indifferent what they produced tonight.

• My Alter Ego says:

Sara, I completely agree with you about Jasmine and Aaron. Those two have just clicked together since the live shows began! As do Amy and Fikshun and MacKenzie and Paul. (While MacKenzie may not have come across well in the first live show dance, I can’t help but wonder if that didn’t have something to do with her admission that she wasn’t comfortable with the dance/role –“I feel like a football player” ?? So sad.)

As much as I love watching Amy and Fikshun, I really didn’t like their routine this week. I know — they were just performing what Tyce had choreographed. I also know that Nigel and Mary touted the choreography highly. However, the routine didn’t work for me because the music did infinitely nothing for me. I can separate the skill level of the performance, which I thought was very good, from the performance/performers (those two are absolutely “adorbs” together), but unlike the Jasmine/Aaron and MacKenzie/Paul numbers, I won’t be re-watching it.

6. Nerdygerl says:

My favorite moment if the night was when Cat commented on Malece’s dancing telling the audience to watch out or she might beat someone up. Malece and Alan had just danced to a Chris Brown song. I laughed so hard. Anyone else catch the irony there?

7. Leah says:

I didn’t hate poor Carley. At least she seemed aware of the fact that she had no idea what was going on. Should she come back? No. But I’m pretty sure she didn’t ruin anything.

• Danielle says:

She was absolutely awful, but I was glad that she seemed aware of it and kept her critiques to a short sentence or two. Plenty of other terrible judges have just blathered on and on with no end in sight. I’ll also give her credit for sticking to what she knew (“You’re dress is pretty!) rather than trying, and failing, to make it sound like she knew anything about dance and actually deserved her guest judge chair- I’m looking at you Erin Andrews.

• Cherry says:

Erin Andrews knows more about dance than you think. She danced in college (University of Florida), was a contestant on Dancing With the Stars, and her sister Kendra Andrews is a professional dancer (Step Up 3D). I thought she did a decent job. I did not like Carly. I am surprised that she was willing to do this gig.

• MC says:

I agree that Carly never made it seem like she was some kind of dance expert. She accepted her limitations, said a quick sentence or two and that was that. It was obviously something she did as a fan of the show and to get her face on tv. I think that Mary (especially this season) and Nigel give plenty of technical advice and the third judge is kind of a wild card. Carly seems really nice and is a refreshing contrast to Bieber’s recent antics. I didn’t like the lyrics to Carly’s hit song, but it was a great melody and I think she represents Canada very well.

The problem with professional choreographers (as the third judge) is they are extremely demanding and sometimes castigate the dancers in an effort to “shape them up.” This might work great in private coaching sessions, but it offends some people at home when the third judge is brutally honest on tv. I loved Mia Michaels as the third judge, but she will probably never be offered the third spot again because she was OTT a couple of times in her past critiques. I pesonally can live with her “bad” moments, but many people cannot and I think other choreographers would (and do) have the same problem censoring themselves for the sake of a tv show.

8. dani n. says:

Loved Amy&Fikshun &usually do not like Tyce’s choreography. Why,Michael do you not like Tucker? I think he’s excellent. I watch him more than Jenna. And for all your dissing of Malece, I thought she was great tonight&last week. I also very much liked Curtis solo. It was the most creative tap I’ve seen ever on this show & I’ve been watching since season 2. I do agree no one stands completely out as in the past but some people ate growing on me. Tonight I liked Aaron&Jasmine more than the past few weeks.

9. Midori says:

The only one I liked was Carlos and after they got rid of him, not because he was bad but because they thought less talented dancers would get more viewers I’ve been over this show. Cancel it Fox, it’s lived too long, I’ll be watching Whose’s Line.

The regular judges just talk about how wonderful everyone else on the show besides the dancers. The show needs to get back to the dancers and stop the other crap because it’s not helping ratings. When the show gets canceled at least do it in style and go out on top, and not in thismess.

10. Babybop says:

LOVED Amy and Fik-shun. I also really enjoyed Mackenzie and Paul’s dance (and he does look like James Franco! I totally didn’t notice that until she said it). I thought what’s his face did better than Jasmine on the Quickstep. She was too loosey goosey for my taste! The other dances just weren’t memorable to me.

11. Loni says:

Okay, so this is pretty random, but does anyone else see a stunning similarity between Aaron and Jasmine and the couple in The Princess and the Frog? Maybe it was their outfits tonight and them doing the quickstep, I don’t know… but anyone else see it?

12. A says:

I don’t see why people love Malece so much. Just because she got most of the spotlight in Vegas doesn’t mean people still have to obsess about her. I don’t think she would’ve gotten the same praise last week if she were dancing with Jade.

• elr says:

I don’t understand the praise for her either. They keep talking about her pixie face, but I have never been a fan of her dancing.

13. Drew says:

This season sucks. The routines are old and boring. The dancers are mostly iffy. I mean, they seem like swell kids, but there aren’t any that are blowing my mind. And I’m tired of the judges (the regular judges) swooning over dances that were obviously flawed. Crying for that number with the straps? The completely distracting, constantly slipping or sticking straps! Most of the dances this week seemed sloppy. I was very unimpressed.

I will say that as sick as I am of guest judges, I will not count Christina Applegate among those who need to stay away. She has been the most impressive judge this year, including Nigel and Mary whose acts have worn so thin I can see through them by now.

They need new judges and routines that don’t feel like I’ve seen them a million times before, or the show needs to end.

14. Hannah says:

The judges clearly have their favorites. I don’t understand why they love Jenna so much. In my opinion, she’s just ok. Is it just me or did any one else notice that she messed up twice in her routine yet the judges continued to praise her.

• A says:

I think they overly-praise Malece more than Jenna. Besides, Jenna and Tucker didn’t get to do the routine with the velcro until the actual performance so we have to cut them some slack. I agree that the judges are constantly showing favoritism. I was surprised (but happy) that they cut Blu-Print because they’ve been showing ALOT of favoritism towards untrained dancers lately.

15. Louise says:

Maybe I’m remembering wrong (or maybe it was on the Canadian show), but wasn’t there another hobo-themed jazz routine a few years back also set to music from the ‘Triplets of Belleville’? I’m off to youtube to investigate.

• LynnH says:

Yes! I remember that one very well… Sarah and Jesus. SO great!

• Sarah El says:

Yep – choreo by the immensely superior Wade Robson who is so missed from SYTYCD. Tyce’s routine was good but it was so blatantly a rehash of Wade’s routine. Amy and Fik-Shun were incredible and the choreography suited them perfectly but oi vey Tyce…

16. juan says:

I loved the mackenzie and Paul 20s dance, it was one of my favs of the season. Also really liked Amy and Fik-shun a lot too, they are definitely going all the way. Carly was a horrible judge, the worst one yet. Last comment, I really wish that Alexis and Nico went home, I’m sorry but they are not that good especially Alexis who has only been in the bottom once while much better dancers are in danger of going every time

17. Rissa says:

I can’t stop watching Jenna and Tuckers piece over and over. It was so incredibly beautiful. I hope Travis gets an Emmy nom for that. My sister and I both love the show and Jenna was a standout to us from the beginning, We can’t understand why people don’t connect with her. She’s one of the few I actually do connect with.

18. LynnH says:

I so enjoyed Aaron and Jasmine, Paul and Makenzie, Fik-shun and Amy. Extremely fun and entertaining. I’m also a big Haley fan. There’s a lot to like about this season. These kids are terrific.

19. Lenny says:

As much as I enjoy Amy and Fik-Shun, I felt like Tyce’s routine was derivative of Wade Robson’s (superior) previous work to Cabaret Hoover with Sara and Jesus…

• Drew says:

Shh! You’re not allowed to mention Wade Robson anymore! He offended that guy who we all know deep down wasn’t right when it came to children, but who is apparently so beloved that most people are willing to overlook it.

20. BESS says:

I’m kind of surprised no one has mentioned the opening number which so obviously featured Jasmine in terms of costuming, position on stage, and narrative. I love Jasmine; she is one of my favorites. However, I don’t like the idea of a dance so clearly singling out one dancer from start to finish. I wonder how the other dancers felt about it. I know there have been dances were a small portion of the dance focused on a single dancer, but I can’t ever remember seeing one do so to this degree.

• Aki says:

If I recall correctly, they kind of did the same think with Elena last year. That being said she was spectacular.

21. Lily L says:

Along with useless judges and stale dance routines, I wish they’d get better music. The music that accompanied Nico and Alexis’ Jive was all sorts of wrong. Of all the good Jive numbers they picked a song that sounded robotic to me. Additionally all the songs were just boring and sounded alike. Good dancing needs good music. This show fails to do that week after week.

It might have been true that Alan wasn’t the best but when they put him next to Malece he doesn’t have a prayer. Not that I like Malece, but the tongue bathing she gets week after week is sickening.

The opening number was so obviously geared to showcase Jasmine. Inasmuch as I like Jasmine, once again the producers (coughahemcoughNigel) pick their favorites and this is the way they attempt to manipulate the public to think the way they want them to.

Ho hum. Same ol’ same ol’ year after year. It’s time to retire some of these reality shows already.

• Sly says:

Actually to me the Imelda May song on the jive was the only good music tonight. The dancing didn’t live up to the great tune.

22. Tara J. says:

At this point, my husband and I are just waiting for the All Stars to show up. These dancers are all very talented, and I know that I couldn’t get up there and do what they do each week! However, I think dancers like Jasmine H, Makenzie, Amy, Hayley, and Jenna will all flourish if they make it to the Top 10 and are paired with All Stars. Alexis – your time is up….and has been up. I absolutely hated to see Mariah go this week as I feel she’s been the “victim” of bad pairing & choreography. But it is what it is.

23. Maria says:

Cute headline.

24. sarah says:

I am Canadian and I always like seeing Canadians do well, but what were they thinking having Carly Rae Jepsen on the show. I could have done a way better job that she did!
    I predicted Mariah and Blu Print would be sent home and of the bottom 6 they are the ones that should have gone and so I am happy with that result.
    As for Jenna she is one of the best dancers on the show and I am glad she stayed!
    For me the best routines were: Jenna and Tucker, Aaron and Jasmine and Amy and Fikshun, Makenzie and Paul and I liked Hayley and Curtis.
    As of now my top 10 are:
    Jenna and Tucker
    Amy and Fikshun
    Jasmine and Aaron
    MaKenzie
    Haley and Curtis
    Then either Nico or Alan

25. lou says:

I do love Aaron and Jasmine but technically it was not the 3rd best routine of the night if we are looking at it that way. As for entertainment value then yes I agree with that 100%.
    As for Jenna she is a very good dancer. Her and Tuckers routine was fantastic and if the judges gave it a standing ovation then that proves it was great!
    This week is hard to determine the bottom but I say
    Alan, Curtis, Paul
    Jenna (who will be sent to safety ASAP), Alexis and Melece
    Going home will be Curtis and Alexis.

• Will says:

“if the judges gave it a standing ovation then that proves it was great!”

You must not have watched a single episode of any reality TV talent shows until this.

26. Mrs. Ben Covington says:

Are there going to be all-stars this season? I don’t remember hearing them be mentioned at all (yet). But I could have missed it.

I would be SORELY disappointed if there were no all-stars.

• heyang says:

Yes, I believe the all-stars join in at final 10 – just as they have previous seasons.

• I felt the show took a terrible turn once they began the all stars. I wish they would return to the format of seasons 1-6, where all sorts of surprising things would happen once the contestants began to be paired up. I love Twitch and Allison, but seeing them, Kathryn, both Laurens, Pasha, et.al over and over again is utterly boring. I feel I’m watching reruns once top ten begins. We’ve had nice break from Pasha and Mark, who I felt was out-danced by the contestants he was paired with, but I fear Mark will be back now that his gig with Lady Gaga is over.

They could at least bring us some past contestants who haven’t been overused. There are winners who’ve not returned at all or just once, while dancers who were voted out at top 8 keep reappearing because Nigel loves them so much. They spend more time gushing over Allison than her partners, yet not once judge acknowledged Ryan D.’s presence during judging last year.

Give me Katee, Joshua, Evan or Jess, AdeChicke’, Natalie, Jeanine, Janette, Eliana, Chehon….or anybody we haven’t seen ad nauseum.

27. Rain says:

Your feelings about Jenna and Tucker are spot on for me. I just don’t see why everyone loves her so much! I’m also not drinking the Aaron Jasmine Kool-Aid with the rest of the world. I think they’re good dancers, I’m just never as enamoured with them as all the reviews I read. I don’t know what it is this season but I’m not really loving most of the dancers this time around and I’m finding a lot of the choreo super boring. I adore Alan – stupid pants and all. I actually enjoyed the way he did the hip hop routine last night, even if it didn’t have the “swag” that everyone else seemed to be looking for. I can’t stand Malece so I’m upset he’s paired with her. When do the All-stars show up?? I really love Makenzie and Paul, I think they have the best chemistry of all the pairs. And how did I never realize how much Paul looks like James Franco??

I’m just glad they sent Blu Print and Mariah home, I was worried for Alan and Makenzie right up until the announcements!

28. dude says:

Poor Carly Rae.

29. Made says:

IMO, Amy and Fik-shun are a lock for the finale, they have great chemistry, Amy is an amazing dancer and Fik-shun not only has shown he can do much more than hip hop but he has a great personality. What I can’t understand is why Makenzie has been in the bottom. She’s a very talented and versatile dancer, ethereal when needed and strong when needed. In fact, her and Paul are my second fav couple. Didn’t dig the two routines danced with props at all as I don’t like the performers doing them. Re Jasmine, yes she is really good but, isn’t she being overpraised a lot? She had a significant part in the opening number and was given the pimp spot. Seems she and Malece are Nigel’s proteges this year, ugggg.

30. Coryrox says:

Definitely agree about not feeling particularly engaged with this season. There haven’t been any moments that haven taken my breath away or made me want to rewatch certain dances.

31. Shar says:

Carley Rae was simply not up to the task and her management team should have known better ( remember how bad Ellen was?).

I still wish they announced the bottom 6 at the end of the show and had the dance off then.

How did Jasmine H manage to keep that dress on??.

Note to Uncle Nigel – Debbie Reynolds is alive, well and still dancing – how about her for a judge? I’m pretty sure she be honest and very well received by everyone.

• PFitzDC says:

Debbie Reynolds HAS been a guest star….and she was terrible. Didn’t offer a single useful critique.

32. jami1331 says:

I agree with every description in this recap!! Spot on!

33. Nunaya_Bidness says:

Agreed with all the sentiment about this season being bland. I really wish they would go back to the Season 1 format and have partner switch ups each week. IMO, that is a large part of the problem, the challenge is gone and somehow over the years as the level of quality in the dancers has gone up, the level of quality in choreography has gone down. It’s become repetitive because they are using the same people for everything. During seasons 1 and 2, if there were two hip hop numbers, you would see choreography from Shane and or Dave or NappyTabs. Not two pieces by the same person.

The choreographers no longer seem inspired. Remember the number from season 3 that Shane did as an homage to the Transformers movie? Or Mary’s Footloose opening number? The Techonologic opening piece? What happened to the Foxtrot and West Coast Swing? One of the best pieces Tyce ever did IMO, was his African Jazz number with Benji and Natalie during season 2. His Broadway is horrible.

I’m in the minority here but I really don’t like the whole All-Stars thing, I’d rather focus stayed on the current competitors.

They should have a final season with the top boy and girl from all seasons compete one last time and call it a day.

• My Alter Ego says:

Nunaya, I’m new to the SYTYCD (tuning in -sort of — last year for the first time), so I’m intrigued by your message and know that I have a great deal of catching up to do (I did a similar thing with AI in 2009).

However, I would ache, truly ache, if Eliana had not had those two incredible opportunities to dance with Alex (Freaking!) Wong last year and finally be able to show how extraordinarily good she is.

And, if you could wave “your wand,” those moments would not have happened.

• Nunaya_Bidness says:

It wouldn’t erase those moments, not at all. I said “go back to” the season one format. If you can find those episodes online in their entirety, definitely give season one a watch. IMO, it actually worked better because if Contestant A was all around then their partner, you could get a better feel for that, as it weeded out the “pretenders.”

The downfall of doing it that way was sometimes the dancers wound up choosing the same partners and/or dances for weeks in a row. Which was the case with the season one winner, Nick Lazzerini. He drew his best friend/roommate at the time Melody and another girl constantly, which is why they made the change I believe.

The dance boot camp was awesome! You really got a feel for each dancer versus the back/sob stories that people often complain about.

• elr says:

I agree with much of what you say, but I feel the All-Stars raise the dancers to a new level generally because the All-Stars dance in their style alone. And it also gives me a chance to focus on the contestant instead of trying to watch what two people are doing.

• Nunaya_Bidness says:

I see what you are saying and respect that. But if the All-Stars are all that, wouldn’t they be better used as choreographers? It seems that all you have to do is “graduate” the show and be brought back to get the title.

Someone like Twitch, who is amazing, would probably be wonderful at choreo and show us something different.

I would love to see other former dancers outside of Travis make that transition. Though I love Dimitry, they don’t use him very often and only used Benji once and not one single female from any former American cast. Unless you count Anya, who hasn’t actually choreographed anything for the show as the primary.

34. Matthew says:

I cry when I realize shows like this have viewers. Makes me sad for them. ;_;

35. PFitzDC says:

Michael–
    First, why did Jenna get saved? Obvious–Nigel wants to annoint HER as star (not Malece). It doesn’t matter if she’s good; she’s not connecting with the voters, and it was ridiculous that given that this is her THIRD time in the bottom 3 that she didn’t have to do a solo. This is when SYTYCD (and American Idol) drives me absolutely bananas. The producers need to stop force feeding us the contenders that aren’t resonating.

Second,
    Stop picking on Alexis. She is the only person you consistently slam. Should she get to the All-Star rounds? No. But she’s executing as well as the other mid-level dancers and shouldn’t be the only one you have absolutely nothing nice to say about.

Third-
    Hayley has NOT been in the bottom yet; only Curtis (2x). So it’s not accurate to suggest that she’s always in the bottom (That doesn’t mean I don’t think she should have been there instead of McKenzie or Jasmine M., but fact is, she’s getting the votes.)

Fourth–
    God, you are so right about the guest judges! Is this a misguided attempt to try to be more relevant and capture new eyeballs? It just cheapens the production. I thought Wayne Brady was the worst, but at least he had the occasional funny remark; Carly Rae was waste of air time.

This week was an overall disappointment–very sloppy performances by almost every couple. You’d think with two whole weeks, they’d have either had more rehearsal time or more time to rest. It didn’t help that most of the choreography was awful–let’s not welcome back Brian Friedman anymore and let him go back to wherever he’s been. The majority of the music was also painful–and don’t get me started on the costumes! It may have been time for Blueprint and Mariah, but it was just cruel to saddle them with so many additional obstacles (bad music, choreography, staging, costumes and makeup….)
    Tyce’s number was fine–but not outstanding for his body of work…just for last night.

36. margi says:

I have liked Jenna from her audition, inspite of Nigel’s favoritism. If we ignore the hip hop number (go watch the choreographers perform the same number on youtube–world of difference), I think she’s performing well technically, but just not connecting emotionally. Look at the picture Michael used for Travis’s dance this week–the expression on Tucker’s face is beautiful, but there’s nothing on Jenna’s face in response. I just rewatched the dance and decided I liked the choreography better than I did last night, but I found myself watching Tucker, not Jenna.

37. daniel says:

It was outrageous that carly rae jepsen ended up on this show. I mean if you agree to be a judge, dont waste our time, and she clearly was. Never do that again Nigel. There are some excellent scintillating dancers on the show. Among them, in terms of personality its amy and fikshun for me.

38. S says:

Why does no one seem to remember that Christina Applegate was a co-founder with Carmen Electra of the Pussycat Dolls? They only give Carmen credit…She has a dance background.
    JTF was on Broadway and while he isn’t a great dancer, he has been around them and danced as I said, on Broadway.
    Give credit where credit is due people!

39. Alia says:

I don’t get the love for Amy and Fik-shun’s routine tonight, but that was a Tyce issue, IMO. They still aren’t my favorites though. I much prefer Jasmine/Aaron and Makenzie/Paul. Those four are the ones I really want to see in the finale. Everyone else I can take or leave.

(Anyone else think there might be a bit of a showmance blossoming between Makenzie and Paul? Their chemistry onstage is ridiculous, and they were all cute and giggly with each other in the rehearsal footage.)

• A says:

I LOVE Amy and Fik-Shun! If they decide to do a guy and girl winner, as of right now I predict they’re both going to win.

40. Sandy says:

Paul & Mackenzie were fabulous.The routine was sooo hot! I cant stand Tyce or his choreo…Always unispired and the same boring stuff..He needs to retire from SYTYCD asap..The Hobo jazz with Amy and Fikshun just wasnt all that great…n def dint deserve a standing O…

41. A says:

Michael,
    I think your “rankings” (Best of the night, worst of the night, etc.) are based more on favoritism. I’ve noticed that you’ve always picked Amy and Fik-Shun and Jasmine and Aaron for the best dances (not that I don’t like them). I think you should really base your ranks on the actual performances rather than your favorites.