Under the Dome Recap: MOABsolute Mayhem

Under the Dome Recap Bomb AttackThis week on CBS’ Under the Dome… stuff happened! (Really!) Big Jim made a decision about captive Angie’s fate, Barbie dug up explosive intel on the military’s plan for Chester’s Mill, someone committed cold-blooded murder and the dome’s mettle was tested.

Here’s a rundown of new things we learned, and new questions raised.

VIDEO | Under the Dome Stars Tease Last 5 Minutes of Season Finale, Plot Junior’s Grisly Death

THINGS WE LEARNED…

* Barbie was involved in a gnarly incident in Iraq, where he and some unit members gunned down all, save one, of their own men during a tragic instance of friendly fire. This haunts him.

* Dodee’s mother is Deaf — which proves a Godsend to Barbie, who enlists the radio wonk to read the lips of a helpful military guy just outside the dome.

* Butterflies… something. (That bit of entomology got lost on me.)

* Big Jim and the reverend were using the propane to manufacture drugs, but not to be peddled within Chester’s Mill. Because they are that noble!

* Norrie realizes that her mother (no, not that one — the other one) lied to her about her father being an anonymous sperm donor when “Dad” shows up for Visitor’s Day at the dome.

* DJ Phil once hocked his granddaddy’s watch to pay a gambling debt — which Barbie kindly returned to him as The End (seemingly) drew near.

* Angie, when push comes to shove, has a soft spot for cuckoo-for-Cocoa Puffs Junior. And dare I speculate, they will be a root-for couple by midseason!

* Barbie is ready to ‘fess up to Julia about killing her deadbeat hubby.

* MOAB stands for “Mother of All Bombs” — as in the one launched at the Dome.

* Big Jim will kill in the name of being the master of his dome-ain.

THINGS WE’RE WONDERING….

* Why did Norrie’s mom lie about her father? (This is me pretending to care.)

* Is there anything scarier than Shy Ronnie, er, Junior with a badge?

* Really, Big Jim? The time you decide to release Angie from the bomb shelter is when a bomb is actually coming your way?

* Are we to surmise, as the lovebirds did, that Joe and Norrie’s kiss “protected” the Dome during the attack…?

* Did anything and everything outside the Dome get laid to waste when the MOAB detonated? Or just, say, a 100-mile perimeter?

What questions did this week’s Dome leave you with? Next week: The series’ “Fear” arc begins.

1. Amanda says:

A lovely EAS message popped up on my TV during the family day part and so I was wondering did Jo and Angie’s parents ever show up?

• Lilly says:

Not that I saw. Good question.

• Haley says:

Nope, no one showed up for them. Joe ended up running off with Norrie once she found out about her dad.

• Plum says:

Incredibly good question; with all the nuttiness I didn’t even notice that those kid’s parents were still awol. Considering that the brother never noticed his sister was captive in a watery bunker it makes sense he never bothered to check for his folks.

I doubt that kiss protected anything at all. The butterflies thing was something to do with the dome messing up the Earth’s magnetic field, which we learned from Lost can cause planes to plummet into purgatory.

Ha, Shy Ronnie! Won’t be able to think of him as anything else from now on.

2. Leah says:

I’m out. This has turned into nothing but a CBS procedural. I don’t care enough about the bigger mystery to have the patience to watch an entire episode about a bomb hitting the dome. We know the bomb won’t do anything! Its called UNDER the dome! Yeesh.

And now Shy Ronnie is stuck in my head. :p

• dan says:

I actually liked this episode even though I knew the bomb wouldn’t have an “impact” on the dome (otherwise the show is over). I thought this episode was well constructed even though some of the dialogue is painful to hear. My main complaint is that each episode represents one day in the dome and each day there is another tragedy that gets resolved by nightfall. Although the overall storyline continues, I’m not a fan of individual tragedies being played out fully in each episode.

• wordsmith says:

Under the Dome may be formulaic at times, but it is decidedly not a procedural. There’s no single “case of the week” for Doctors/Lawyers/Cops to treat or solve, no technical “procedure” to be followed. It’s a serial drama akin to Lost, and as such rather unique on CBS’ lineup.

• TM says:

Leah, do you even know what a procedural is?

3. Joey says:

I wonder why Joe and Angie’s parents didn’t show up with the other family members.

4. I just can’t with this show. A guy holds you in a dungeon for days and now you’re comforting him in your bedroom? No, I will not be rooting for them. Or this show. So much bad dialogue, and acting, and silliness.

• Snsetblaze says:

I have to agree – most of the acting is bad – especially from some of the leads. I do like Dean Norris as Big Jim and the engineer at the radio station. But there are many holes in the story that are getting harder and harder to overlook. This is much like the Following, Once Upon a Time or Revolution for me in the sense that I am watching but I don’t feel compelled to watch. I don’t have the feeling like I can’t wait for the next episode like I did with Orphan Black, for example, or this season of The Killing, or any episode of Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

• Plum says:

I’m guessing the Dome is seen as a threat, hence the MOABing it. No one will be coming now that Big D is surrounded by radioactive nothingness.

• Ron says:

The bomb was the biggest thing short of a nuke so there wouldn’t be any radiation. (per Barbie’s explanation of MOAB)

• Anthony says:

That is so right Jennifer. It was so disgusting the way they had her comforting him after he did what he did. I have no doubt that all of the writers must be men.

• Lana Scott says:

I think it made sense. Junior is psycho and Angie knows it well. Junior had a gun after all. Angie knows he won’t hesitate to use it. She is a smart girl trying to save her life.

• Jennifer says:

I hated that, too, but then I wondered if they’re going to play it off as some sort of Stockholm syndrome thing…Can you develop Stockholm over the course of a single week?

And the fact that the brother hasn’t been even a little concerned about his sister missing for an entire week is also bothersome. “Oh, she’s a flake…” Really? So much of a flake that she won’t show up at home AT ALL after you two discover you’re cut off from your entire family? Ugh.

5. cookie kirk says:

How ,come we never see the “Powers that Be”? No president or military commander giving orders, I’m tired that all conversation is all one sided. We don’t even hear the presidents voice on the radio explaining this to the world. I’m just starting not to get this. Turning out to be lame.

• Cory Myers says:

That might come later, but I kind of like this once sided business… it gives us the feel of being in the dome with Chester’s Mill. They do not hear any form of PTB except for what is inside the Dome. You discover things just as the characters do…. little things you know that the characters don’t, but for now, the bigger picture is a journey you as the audience member can take with the characters.

• CountryQueen says:

Because that’s not important. What’s important is what is happening under that dome. How the people are reacting. We are suppose to feel like we are in the dome with them. This is following the book as well, there was very little outside the dome. That doesn’t mean those on the outside won’t have an impact. Ask yourself, what would you do cut off from the world – and think about that – truly cut off from the world. With next week’s episode – it’s about to get very real Under the Dome.

• Midori says:

They were going to have Obama be in the pilot talking about the dome, but it was cut because it was actually video from when Sandy hit.

6. Zack says:

Joe and Angies parents may have been there, neither Joe or Angie were there so who knows. You dont hear the presidents voice because they are trapped in a dome and he is living it up in Las Vegas, duh

• Anthony says:

That’s probably true. Joe seems like the most ill responsible uncaring kid that anyone could be related to. I thought it was stupid that he finally decides to look for his sister after 10 days because of a bomb is coming when he didn’t give a dam when the plague hit. I also hated the fact they stereotype Angie as a typical female that no matter how much a man abuses you your going to forgive him and give into him. Sickening and a bad example to all women.

• tripoli says:

Perhaps she wasn’t simply forgiving him but chose to spend what she thought were her last living moments in a calm and peaceful way. I really doubt she’ll be all sunshine and roses with Junior, come next week. You should probably chill out a little. You seem way too bothered by such a minor scene that has yet to be expanded upon.

7. Couch says:

Did anyone on the writing staff bother to check ouy the fact thah the MOAB is a BOMB delivered from a C-130 and not a launched “thermobaric” missile? In fact, I’d have to check, but I don’t even think any missiles ARE thermobaric simply for the reason that the fuel payload would be to heavy for the missile to fly.
    Plus..MOABs are not penetrating weapons of the order like Bunker Buster type weapons that would’ve been of better use.
    Not only that, but the MOAB blast radius is about 450 ft.(with a much larger radius of air being sucked out b u the massive fireball. It’s what they call a daisy-cutter because anyone not in the blast radius dies from asphyxiation ad the bombs flames suck all the air for minutes…and people fall where the u stand, like daisies)..depending on which source you believe…but as it’s mainly used to take out personnel and some other soft targets…it certainly wouldn’t have beeb used to get rid of the Dome…a n d it certainly wouldn’t have left the outlying areas a wasteland!
    But I guess it adds to the shows mythos…and if it really was in the book, I guess King used it as a prop because he could put a biblical association to it. *sigh* That’s what you get from pulp fiction these days….

Oh yeah…and Moab the kingdom in the Bible was NOT a place of sin. Just another kingdom that opposed the Israelites. Now Moab (Lot’s descendant) was accused of idolatry…but that’s as sinful as he got. So another b.s. line to make the show (or book) more interesting.
    It’s getting desperate if King is still writing tripe like this…
    Oh well…I’m still gonna watch out of boredom…maybe.

• Jeff M. says:

When you set yourself up as an expert, you have to actually know what you are talking about. Why would a bunker buster be a better choice? The Dome is very thin, there aren’t meters of something to penetrate. BBs are designed to kill what’s inside without needing to utilize the energy needed to destroy the bunker. You are right that a missile wouldn’t be the preferred delivery method, For something like the Dome you would want the most applied energy that you could bring to the outside. As for the outside being a wasteland, it was a bit over done, but if all the energy was deflected down the dome (because it absorbed none of it) there would be some massive destruction. As for the bible stuff, the story features a crazy preacher ranting about Stone Age mythology.

8. Couch says:

And while it’s colloquially known as the “Mother Of All Bombs,” the acronym stands for Massive Ordinance Air Burst…but somehow I get the feeling that they called it that so they could later call it the “Mother Of All Bombs!” Lol…the military and their jargon.

9. “Butterflies… something. (That bit of entomology got lost on me.)”

IMHO they were going for “Butterfly Effect”, just a non-chronological version of the term.

10. Jane says:

Actually what I believe they were referring to with the butterflies, is that biologists believe that butterflies have a pair of molecules in their brains that are sensitive to the Earth’s magnetic field and that they use these in combination with information from the position of the sun to find their way to wherever they are going. I’m guessing on the show they meant that since the butterflies were acting weird that the government was afraid the Dome was messing with the Earth’s magnetic field and that was why they had to try and destroy it before it did more damage

11. Patricia says:

So if Dodee’s mom is deaf why would Dodee be the one to read lips? Really?

• Learned behavior., Trust the deaf guy … my hearing brother reads lips better than most of his friends.

• Cory Myers says:

Exactly. A friend of mine has been deaf since birth, her son can speak sign language and read lips just as well as she can because he was raised with it… like a child raised around their native tongue.

• B says:

Ehh, I see your point, but maybe they were going with the rationale that reading lips is like sign language, and maybe both the deaf and the hearing learn it as another way to communicate (assuming the deaf one can’t speak either).

Oh who are we kidding, it was probably just a cheap plot contrivance to go along with the terrible acting turned in by half of the cast.

12. Viv says:

I strongly disagree with your interpretation of Angie and Junior. I thought she was exhausted and still in protection mode. Junior is obviously not going to listen to her when she says no, so she complies in order to protect herself. Offering him comfort is a defense mechanism to keep herself safe, not a genuine gesture of romantic interest. This is what women have to do sometimes.

I would be very surprised if they are coupled up in any kind of healthy way.

• I kind of expected her to stab him when he let his guard down.

• Cory Myers says:

She tried that already and he took her down. Sometimes the best way to deal with someone like that is to play along. Of course she could already be developing a mild case of Stockholm syndrome…

• Whatever says:

I have to agree with you Viv.
      I felt like Angie was doing what she had to do to stay safe and the bomb was going to drop in 2 minutes. It would make no sense for her to attack him at that point.
      Why not comfort him let him put his head in your lap and then YOUR HAND IS INCHES FROM HIS GUN ON THE NIGHT STAND if the bomb fails.

13. jdunnitagain says:

Am I the only one who thinks the truck driver who crashed into the dome in the first episode (right in front of Norrie and her moms) was Joe and Angie’s dad? Joe keeps saying that his Dad was a big rig driver, and we happen to see a big rig crash into the dome. It doesn’t seem like a coincidence to me.

• Anthony says:

I don’t think Joe knows he has parents. He so busy trying to make out that he doesn’t even notice or care that his sister been missing 10 days especially after the plague broke out or even check to see if his parents showed up. Then when goes to look for his sister he doesn’t go check his homes he just finds a spot to make out.

14. Meredith says:

I literally LOL with each Shy Ronnie reference. Well-played Matt, well-played.

15. Elyse says:

Under the Dome might be my favorite summer show.

16. Anthony says:

Does it seem strange to anyone here that nobody in the town took any time to make up a list of who is actually trapped in the town or even look to see if others were hurt and needed help somewhere in the town.

• ruthsims says:

It would seem strange only if anything else in the story actually made sense. When the inmates are in charge of the asylum weird is the new normal. Counting heads, and the other things you mentioned, would be logical in an illogical world. I’m still reeling from the idea that a teenage girl is missing and no one noticed except her brother who sorta-kinda-halfway noticed she wasn’t around. Like missing the fly that’s buzzing your picnic lunch.

I have been recording it so I can watch it without commercials. And I keep going back to the day the Dome landed, and that poor cow that got cut in half. Pause the image. It looks like a cardboard cow. (No I don’t expect to see a real cow – but cgi’s these days are so convincing, it just looks kind of bargain-basement.)

Can’t wait for the goodies next Monday.

17. Abby says:

Shows like this are why decent programs on network TV don’t get critical love – massively overhyped for almost a whole year as the second coming of Lost, more or less, only to discover that the mysteries are super lame and the writting half-azz’d, the acting is terrible, and the characters are all either boring or completely unrealistic. I gave Under the Dome two episodes, and then I had to wash it from my brain forever.

18. tnsmoke says:

Still watching, still hoping it gets better. Why during the initial arrival of the Guard/military they acted like they couldn’t see or hear anyone inside the Dome and then last night they’re talking/hodling signs for the citizens?? And Barbie has a discussion with the soldier? Before the Dome blocked out the outside world even seeing or hearing anyone inside the Dome. The kidnapped girl was IN a bomb shelter and they rescue her and send her outside to die with Junior in his/her bedroom? And NO chemistry between Barbie and Redhead chick. Is Linda a heroric character? All she does is moan and groan so far. Monday and Tuesday’s are baren as far as shows on tv so will keep watching but am amazed that Stephen King IS involved in this and still another adaptation of his books go amuck.

19. ruthsims says:

I love this show. Not because it’s good but because it’s so hilariously bad. It’s all illogical. And all the actors have one expression apiece, and the lady cop looks like a fourteen-year-old who’s about ready to burst into tears every two seconds. There’s so little that’s genuinely funny on tv these days that I look forward to “Under the Dome” and an hour of relaxing chuckles. And reading the critiques on this site just add to the fun.

I couldn’t stand the preacher and hollered “Thank you!” to Big Jim when he blew up the creep’s hearing aid. And Junior weirds me out.

I look forward to next Monday to see what other nuttiness occurs in Domeland, which is probably going to be the newest ride at Disney. On the upside, the guy who plays Barbie is nice to look at even with just one expression. Is he the same one who plays Dylan on Bates Motel (also with one expression.)

Keep the comments on The Dome coming!

20. RNMBA says:

I enjoy watching the show, but as a Nurse, it was painful to watch the meningitis “outbreak” storyline. First off, you would not treat an outbreak with oral antibiotics, second, did anyone else notice the “nurse” injecting the cop’s dose (I forget her name) right in the bag? Uhm, first off youd puncture the bag if you did that, second of all, IV antibiotics come in a bag that you hang as a regular IV. Third, the outbreak resolved in less than 24 hours? Come on!!!!! I know it’s TV but at least get your stuff right!

• Honestly, I think the chaos shown was the very idea. They are without the ability to get meds, the men. outbreak was a tad … convenient, they have a ‘visiting’ a shrink who is the only doctor, never-mind enough trained nurses for that kind of a situation, so maybe some untrained town folk were pressed into service, etc. Just MHO.

21. Jen says:

No recap for episode 6?

22. Angelina says:

Why does no one wonder after this week’s episode that when Norrie and Angie throw the things on the dome, there are trees and grass and everything outside although in the episodes after the bomb blast everything around the dome was destroyed and no plant left?