John Barrowman Fleshes Out His Idea for Female Doctor Who, Ducks the Big Arrow Question

Paying his latest of many visits to Comic-Con, John Barrowman stopped by TVLine’s interview suite to share his very specific ideas for a female Doctor Who, as speculation continues to swirl about who will play the Twelfth Time Lord.

Reiterating his previously expressed stance that it’s time for a woman to helm the TARDIS, the Who/Torchwood alum opined to Michael Ausiello, “Let’s try something different.”

VIDEO | Arrow Duo Preview Finale’s ‘Emotional’ Fallout, Clear Up ‘New Black Canary’ Confusion

After suggesting one existing Whoniverse denizen to ostensibly fill the role, Barrowman said that if the BBC America series goes with a new face, it should be someone “who’s real” — and then he elaborates on that.

RELATED | Arrow @ Comic-Con: Will Season 2 Give Us Suicide Squad, a Black Canary and Green Arrow?

Also in this video Q&A, Barrowman does his best to duck Arrow resurrection Qs, raves about taking in the Comic-Con freely as a geek boy himself — “The fans are really great with me” — and talks up his Torchwood and Hollow Earth novels, teasing possible casting ideas for a TV adaptation of the latter (which he pens with his sister).

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. I hope we see him back on “Scandal” next season.

2. joey says:

great interview with John. I hope he comes back in season 2 of Arrow.

3. AlbTrex says:

OMG I’m so in love with him!!! XD

4. Jason says:

John is so great, and brings such an awesome credibility and presence to ARROW. Please, please bring him back, CW. Such an amazing villain.

5. nabocane says:

Jaime Murray. Fini.

6. Tinemi says:

I love John Harrowman!!! He’s the best and I would love to be his friend.

7. maggie says:

I adore John Barrowman. I hope to see him back playing Captain Jack sometime soon.

8. Alia says:

He’s just absolutely wonderful. Keep on being awesome, Mr. Barrowman.

9. Ross says:

OMG MICHAEL!! I HAVE THAT SHIRT!!!! FREAKING OUT THAT I HAVE THE SAME SHIRT AS YOU!!! LOL!!

10. M3rc Nate says:

Love him, I’m all for a female Doctor is thats possible, i have still not gotten Canon confirmation that the Doctor is anything but a Male character. If hes a male that can regenerate to save his life and ends up looking like someone new but still male, then please stop asking for a female Doctor…if the Doctor’s Canon says Time-Lords can change from male-to-female (or vice versa) then yes, find an amazing unknown/not very known actress and have a regeneration into her.

• Zeph says:

Yes, canon does allow for a female Doctor…. In the season 6 ep “The Doctor’s Wife”, when 11 is telling Amy and Rory about the Time Lord whose ‘distress box’ he’s received. Hes talking about how every incarnation has the same tattoo – he specifically says the Corsair “didn’t feel like himself – or herself a couple of times – without that tattoo”…. Thus, canon confirmation that a Time Lord can be female.

11. Charlotte says:

WE DON’T WANT AN ANOREXIC DOCTOR. I was pretty much dying when he said this, John is hilarious. But so true, definitely want an unknown, fresh face playing the next doctor, male or female.

12. Luis says:

John Barrowman is soooooo frakkin’ awesome. They have to get Captain Jack back on Doctor Who! I have trouble seeing how Malcolm would make it back on Arrow this season, except in flashback, but perhaps that’s just my narrow mind. I totally endorse the idea of a female Doctor, but you’ll need a very special actress to pull it off and stand up to the mountains of scrutiny.

13. scifisiren says:

Oh, Barrowman. You are sooo delicious. I don’t care who the new Doctor is…. as long as he/she makes out with Captain Jack.

14. hatorl says:

A real girl! things like this make me like him more and more!
    He makes an amazing job in Arrow, hope he goes back!
    Great interview

15. Mikael says:

They never showed him die on Arrow, so I hope he’s recuperating somewhere and will return. He made a great villain.

16. A fan says:

As a large portion of people have said so far, I love John Barrowman. If we can’t get Torchwood back anytime soon (or get him back on Dr. Who), I’d love for him to return to Arrow.

I’m just going to think positive and say if the answer to whether or not he was going return was a simple NO he wouldn’t have needed to dodge the question so thoroughly. Malcolm is a character I love to hate and would hate to lose.

17. Bob says:

Sorry, John, but to paraphrase the Taylor Swift song, “There will never, ever, ever…be a female Doctor!”

18. Mrs. Susan Stewart says:

I think jb is the best guy in showbiz hes honest and proud of himself but at same time thanks fans for his life but he does the work as well canna gt enough of him love him to peaces x