It's Official: Bunheads Cancelled by ABC Family

Get More: Cancellations

Bunheads CancelledUPDATE: ABC Family is now officially confirming that Bunheads has indeed been cancelled.

Bunheads is a wonderful series that we are very proud to have aired,” said an ABC Family rep in a statement. “The series had amazing storytelling, the most talented cast and a passionate and loyal fan base. Recognizing all of this, we took extra time to try and find ways to bring the series back for another season, but in the end it simply wasn’t possible.  We wish the cast and crew the best in their future endeavors.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

ORIGINAL STORY: ABC Family is on the verge of cancelling Amy Sherman-Palladino’s acclaimed-but-little-seen ballet dramedy after one season.

“It’s definitely on life support — at best,” acknowledges AS-P’s spouse, Bunheads consulting producer Daniel Palladino. “It’s gasping for air, pumped full of drugs.

“And the waiting… geez,” he adds of the network’s months-long cone of silence. “I don’t want to say it’s getting ridiculous, but Obama is planning to address it on Monday.”

One reason for the hold-up on a renewal/cancellation decision, per insiders, is that ABC Family has been actively looking for more cost-efficient methods to produce the Sutton Foster-fronted series moving forward. Unfortunately, it’s not looking like any of those options will take root.

Comments (272)

• Bunheads is the reason I first realized I had ABC Family , so it brought new viwers to the channel. Please have a 2 hour special to let us know what happens to these characters we love!

Comment by Pam – August 7, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree to this. At least give us a recap if you’re not going to return it! This very stinky of you!

Comment by Camille A Fishback – September 23, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope someone else picks up the show. I don’t like the reality shows. I have noticed more mystery shows on now. I was sad when Gilmore Girls canceled. Bunheads gave hope of something down to earth. I guess we get reality t.v. when we turn on it on now. Reality we don’t get what we want we have to settle for what u say we will have. I think it is time to cancel cable and use the internet or dvd’s , read books and see what happens to the programing then. Also a benefit dropping the cost of cable anyway. I think every summer if you don’t wanna drop the cable most are not watching it so drop it for those months anyway. Hurt the producers and cable providers more than us.

Comment by sherri – August 7, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless you are a Nielson Ratings viewing household, it won’t matter if you cancel cable or stop watching. The networks only care about the Nielson ratings, not the popularity of a show. They only care about how much money they can make in advertising and DVRing or getting your content online doesn’t count in the ratings…

Comment by Billiam – August 7, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC F made the decision to cancel based on how well the new shows did. I feel betrayed. I watched some of those shows because I didn’t have Bumheads. I supported the network waiting for my show to come back on. They play dirty

Comment by Linda – August 7, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the worst thing I can hear right before school. This show helped me get through the weeks and now I have nothing. I guess I won’t be watching ABC Family until The Fosters come back on. Oh wait maybe that will be cancelled too. I just pray that ABC Family gets smarter and renews this amazing show. I would even like if another network came and picked this show up. Any network would be lucky to have such talented actresses working for them!

Comment by CallieIsRight – August 8, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This totally sucks. I was so looking forward to the new season.

Comment by rsuhoney – August 12, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chill out guys, it’s not their fault they can’t afford a show and why keep it running with their least viewed show. I loved it to but they have other great shows, you dont have to shun ABC family ._.

Comment by Me – August 13, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been anxiously awaiting the next season so today I search my ‘on demand’ and it’s as if it never existed, then google to find out that it’s been CANCELLED?!?!? Like what on earth was the problem, I’m 25 I am not nor have I ever been a dancer but the show and the characters are so easy to relate to, the kind of whole, real, actual human-person characters rarely depicted in this kind of series. It was a one in a million just good clean fun & entertaining show I was totally into it and so were all my friends that I told about it, before I knew it they started calling me all in a tizzy about the events of the latest episode… I’m talking about 20′something young women totally enjoying this show, a show that’s decent enough to have on the tv with family present how rare…. And now it’s gone? Totally ruined forever by ABC…..in favor of what???? Pretty Murdering lying game playing jezebelles ??.?

Comment by Annabel – August 14, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do you always do this abc family? Nine lives of Chloe king, the lying game, and now bunheads. You give us these awesome shows and then cancel them just when there getting good. abc family has always made some of my favourite shows with interesting plots and characters so I keep coming back but I don’t know how many more times I can take having to lose something that I’ve come to love. Then it’s just like poring salt in the wounds when I find out what it had been cancelled to make room for is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. You make good shows but bad choices abc family.

Comment by tiffany – August 16, 2013 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What junk are they going to replace it with! Love Bunheads!

Comment by Kim – August 17, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They replaced Bunheads with The Fosters.

Comment by Billiam – August 18, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, still in it for Switched at Birth, but they keep taking off the smart shows like Bunheads to air shows that promote lying, soap opera-esqe nonesense that goes extreme lengths towards dumbing down America…sigh, nightmares of “Secret Life” floating through my mind. I wonder what helped bring about stupid reality shows like 16 and Pregnant that glorify immature and bad decisions by making teenagers who make bad decisions famous and wealthy. If Bunheads was the standard, maybe young girls would understand that they should set goals in their teens that come to fruition when they are old enough to know themselves a little better. Even if characters on Bunheads did not make good decisions, they had to live with them and develop a way to overcome them rather than get rewarded for them every step of the way. It’s a better reality to teach young women.

Comment by Adrienne – August 19, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously?? wow…u know what why would they keep it…they probably need room for some drug/sex/divorce/race/ nonsense that will conveniently get more ratings or that they will have the mysterious funding for…crap…TV IS CRAP thanks ABC FAM you are a failure

Comment by Susie – August 22, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If ABC Family cancels any of the shows that they have gotten me addicted to this summer I will officially stop watching that channel!

Comment by shakeia – August 26, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whyyy :((((((

Comment by sallPB – September 1, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Jane by Design now Bunheads?! What the heck?!

Comment by Kaitlyn – September 7, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame.. I liked watching Bunheads.

Comment by Dee – September 8, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand how they could cancel such a good show. It’s like all the shows that are different with the storyline get cancelled and they keep the shows that all seem to have the same plots and events. Every TV show seems to be the same. First Jane by design and now bunheads.

Comment by Lex – September 9, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Atleast I still have switched at birth , and baby daddy, and hopefully the fosters will make it another season

Comment by Lex – September 9, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unbelievable!!!! Every time a good wholesome, hilarious and fun show is created, it get’s cancelled! What is wrong with having a show that has a good following of people yet is not in the top ten? We like TV and get tired of having little to watch. Give the show and me a break!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kim – September 11, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First jane by design and now this thanks ABC family thanks a lot

Comment by crystalee Reid – September 13, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sigh, thank you ABC family for getting rid of your best FAMILY show, real smart! for the people who want to see a good ballet show try breaking point, they follow a real ballet company. Do not watch that horrible dance mom show, they are so mean and nasty and the teacher is even worse. I cant believe that show and her new spin off show is still on, doesnt make since to keep the garbage and cancel the good shows!

Comment by Maria – September 17, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really a black white thing?
    BLACK HISTORY MONTH
    MISS BLACK USA
    BET?
    Need I go on? if every everyone wants to be equal stop segregated yourselves.

Comment by KC – September 22, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So no Bunheads? That totally sucks! I’ve been waiting all summer for it. What r u guys thinking! It was very entertaining. Why yank it? Please have a heart, put it back!

Comment by Camille A Fishback – September 23, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this totally sucks it was getting soo good, you can’t just cancel now. your ruining my life!!!

Comment by katie – September 23, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARE YOU SERIOUS? BUNHEADS WAS AWESOMEEEE!!!!!! :(

Comment by Cherie – September 28, 2013 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad TV has room for yet ANOTHER show about witches and vampires and teenagers scheming to sleep with married men but no room for a show about kids who are interested in the simplicity and complexity of learning to express themselves through dance. ABC Family, you are off my viewin list. Good luck Bunheads. And SF, you were heartbreakingly wonderful in San Francisco.

Comment by Mrs Mike – October 8, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it hard to say , but in last 2 decade , it is obvious . many intresting series can’t make rating in USA . level of consumer in Usa is very low .

Comment by Iulian – October 17, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it has anything to do with consumers. It is an archaic ratings system such as Nielson that does the ratings by a ‘sampling’ by actual viewing at the time the show airs and doesn’t give any or much weight to on-demand, DVR or online viewing. The world has gone online and Nielson is still stuck in the 1980′s.

Comment by Billiam – October 17, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im from Indonesia,i cant stop watching the show.I think its the only show where artists can showcase their real talents.And we need more show like Bunheads rather than some girls trying to get boys drama

Comment by kanti – October 23, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leave the negative BS out! No need for name calling. I do agree the show had great potential. It was not on a major TV station, I stumbled on it by accident. I think that without the big league advertisement the show needed time for the audience to build. This needed to be done by word of mouth and these days it can take a season for that to happen. I also agree that the story line and acting was beginning to improve greatly. It was a new show with mostly new actors. It was also a good family oriented show. For those of us that do not care for the undead’s, another police drama or reality shows it was a breath of fresh air

Comment by kim malicoat – October 24, 2013 03:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well…keys leave on these airhead reality shows and let go shows of substance. Poor choice on networks part… but then again it doesn’t …you will still draw your paycheck.

Comment by shsron stureman – November 7, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another great, heartwarming and delightful show, cancelled. I loved HUGE, and I was just getting into Bunheads. DAMN…..guess pointless, over dramatized, trashy reality TV is what sells…..too bad:/

Comment by Lindsay – November 12, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Delayed reaction … I’m just realizing Bunheads hadn’t returned and am SO DISAPPOINTED to learn of the cancellation. Please, please bring it back !!

Comment by Sewest – November 14, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad that Bunheads is cancelled. I didn’t have cable tv last year so I watched online. I was so looking forward to watching it on tv this year :(

Comment by Maryanne – November 19, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gilmore Girls is my favorite show ever so i had big hopes on bunheads, thought it was not as good, i dont know why maybe characters were too much unrealistic or something, it was a great show and was becoming better in las episodes.. i was waitting for second season! you are making a mistake by cancelling it, you had any show as good as this one!

Comment by Nelly – November 19, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped
    me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Comment by http://www.lindenchamber.net – December 6, 2013 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC and their affiliates need to learn nelisen rating really don’t reflect view ship accurately any more. This is the digital age and you really need to wait until at least the second season. I say this because I discovered bunheads on amazon over the summer. I was thrilled at how amazing this show was. And FYI ABC Disney this summer I was working at a casino and I waited on a very nice couple. They were there playing slots. Guess what they were supposed to be doing…. watching TV because they were neilson household. So maybe you guys need to update how you track ratings because it is obvious from the crap you keep on the air that your bossiness model goes something like this. You make a great show with the unions and sag actors and crew. Leave it on for 1 season or less. Then shamelessly promote your talk shows and reality shows. I hope very soon to see another strike like the writers guild strike of 2010. This time with sag and some of the other unions to reach you greedy corporate bean counters. If we want more reality and talk shows we can watch YouTube. Seriously get some better programing or I think very soon we will be seeing all the decent shows start coming from online networks. And more and more people dropping cable. And I for one am not going to by anymore Disney crap that cost twice as much just because you put one of your characters or Its the official princess dress. My kids are as happy playing with a fairy doll as they would be with a Tinkerbell doll. Stop looking at how much more you can make and put out some quality programs.

Comment by Jessica – December 26, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched all of Bunheads and loved it. Ya I’m late… I have a toddler. Damn you ABC. Now I guess we get another reality show. Ya it’s probably cheaper but America is fed up with idiots it was nice to have a real show for a minute. Poor choice on getting rid of it.

Comment by Catherine – January 3, 2014 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheahds was a show to lift your soul and make you laugh. Iam sorry ABC family has chosen money over good taste. May The Lord bless the cast of Bunheads as it was very good to make you feel much better about your days.

Comment by Christina – January 12, 2014 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grey’s Anatomy creator highly criticized Bunheads because it didn’t have black people in it… So, I guess ABC Family wouldn’t have cancelled it if they had a black girl in the dance classes who was a member of a gang who was selling drugs to the kids at their school and having sex with all of the members of the gang…. I mean, The Fosters, which replaced Bunheads basically has all of that and more: sex, drugs, bad kids…. oh, and gay parents, we shouldn’t forget the gay angle…. we should have seen a girl in Bunheads that was gay too, right? Give me a break… Family shows should be just that: Family shows, not something you watch first to make sure it is appropriate for your kids…

Comment by Billiam – January 12, 2014 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have been taken all the good shows………ughhh why?

Comment by sasha – February 5, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow….I’m with most people, ABC off my list…honestly I have six daughters and it was an awesome show we would all watch together and that’s rare to have a show that’s got all of us loving…. just waiting for the next episode :( my mom’s 68, I’m 48 and daughters are 29,27,25,19,17,14. How many shows today are for all ages….it felt issues and laughs addressed all ages….booooooo were sad :(…….honestly isn’t there anything we can do????

Comment by dawn – February 21, 2014 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never watched PLL and never will it for for teenagers however… I danced for years and fell in love with Bunheads and I am still so sad they let it go without really giving it a chance… I still watch GG and it gave me the same vibe… Poor poor choice that they would rather keep a show about teen girls murdering each other then and wonder shop about dance.

Comment by Sonya – March 14, 2014 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t seem to find the post by the Arab that was just sent but I agree…. the race card had no business in being played here. It was a good family show. I am white and I’m discriminated against sometimes too… Its no longer the 1950s. There is hate everywhere… or, at the minimum, unease. I’m disabled and I can’t tell you the number of times mothers in restaurants shield their children when they see me, like I think their child is part of the menu… Any TV show that try to introduce a disabled character either makes that character superhuman or doesn’t make it… I’m not superhuman. I’m just a strong person on the inside and I’m not about to boycott shows because there are no blind or deaf or amputees on the show (if anything, I’m offended by the fact that a disabled character is played by an actor who isn’t disabled)… it’s like a white actor trying to play a black character… oh, boy, I bet that would make you 10 times more angry than a show with only white actors, wouldn’t it? Peace, Love, Equality…. not in our lifetimes, I’m afraid.

Comment by Billiam – March 19, 2014 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well said. i would have loved for them to have cast a deaf ballerina to show dancers are not just tall and thin. was it a former miss america that was a deaf ballerina or miss usa? she’s from alabama.

to the dude who said the show was racist – bunheads had 2 black ballet dancers, btw. don’t forget that the 2 actors who used to be on gilmore girls as gypsy and sal (can’t remember the names on bunheads) are hispanic. so saying it was a racist show b/c of a lack of multiple ethnicities is incorrect and shows you didn’t actually watch it.

Comment by Anna Lee – March 19, 2014 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post