It's Official: Bunheads Cancelled by ABC Family

Bunheads CancelledUPDATE: ABC Family is now officially confirming that Bunheads has indeed been cancelled.

Bunheads is a wonderful series that we are very proud to have aired,” said an ABC Family rep in a statement. “The series had amazing storytelling, the most talented cast and a passionate and loyal fan base. Recognizing all of this, we took extra time to try and find ways to bring the series back for another season, but in the end it simply wasn’t possible.  We wish the cast and crew the best in their future endeavors.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

ORIGINAL STORY: ABC Family is on the verge of cancelling Amy Sherman-Palladino’s acclaimed-but-little-seen ballet dramedy after one season.

“It’s definitely on life support — at best,” acknowledges AS-P’s spouse, Bunheads consulting producer Daniel Palladino. “It’s gasping for air, pumped full of drugs.

“And the waiting… geez,” he adds of the network’s months-long cone of silence. “I don’t want to say it’s getting ridiculous, but Obama is planning to address it on Monday.”

One reason for the hold-up on a renewal/cancellation decision, per insiders, is that ABC Family has been actively looking for more cost-efficient methods to produce the Sutton Foster-fronted series moving forward. Unfortunately, it’s not looking like any of those options will take root.

1. Pam says:

Bunheads is the reason I first realized I had ABC Family , so it brought new viwers to the channel. Please have a 2 hour special to let us know what happens to these characters we love!

2. sherri says:

I hope someone else picks up the show. I don’t like the reality shows. I have noticed more mystery shows on now. I was sad when Gilmore Girls canceled. Bunheads gave hope of something down to earth. I guess we get reality t.v. when we turn on it on now. Reality we don’t get what we want we have to settle for what u say we will have. I think it is time to cancel cable and use the internet or dvd’s , read books and see what happens to the programing then. Also a benefit dropping the cost of cable anyway. I think every summer if you don’t wanna drop the cable most are not watching it so drop it for those months anyway. Hurt the producers and cable providers more than us.

• Billiam says:

Unless you are a Nielson Ratings viewing household, it won’t matter if you cancel cable or stop watching. The networks only care about the Nielson ratings, not the popularity of a show. They only care about how much money they can make in advertising and DVRing or getting your content online doesn’t count in the ratings…

3. Linda says:

ABC F made the decision to cancel based on how well the new shows did. I feel betrayed. I watched some of those shows because I didn’t have Bumheads. I supported the network waiting for my show to come back on. They play dirty

4. CallieIsRight says:

This is the worst thing I can hear right before school. This show helped me get through the weeks and now I have nothing. I guess I won’t be watching ABC Family until The Fosters come back on. Oh wait maybe that will be cancelled too. I just pray that ABC Family gets smarter and renews this amazing show. I would even like if another network came and picked this show up. Any network would be lucky to have such talented actresses working for them!

5. rsuhoney says:

This totally sucks. I was so looking forward to the new season.

6. Me says:

Chill out guys, it’s not their fault they can’t afford a show and why keep it running with their least viewed show. I loved it to but they have other great shows, you dont have to shun ABC family ._.

7. Annabel says:

I’ve been anxiously awaiting the next season so today I search my ‘on demand’ and it’s as if it never existed, then google to find out that it’s been CANCELLED?!?!? Like what on earth was the problem, I’m 25 I am not nor have I ever been a dancer but the show and the characters are so easy to relate to, the kind of whole, real, actual human-person characters rarely depicted in this kind of series. It was a one in a million just good clean fun & entertaining show I was totally into it and so were all my friends that I told about it, before I knew it they started calling me all in a tizzy about the events of the latest episode… I’m talking about 20’something young women totally enjoying this show, a show that’s decent enough to have on the tv with family present how rare…. And now it’s gone? Totally ruined forever by ABC…..in favor of what???? Pretty Murdering lying game playing jezebelles ??.?

8. tiffany says:

Why do you always do this abc family? Nine lives of Chloe king, the lying game, and now bunheads. You give us these awesome shows and then cancel them just when there getting good. abc family has always made some of my favourite shows with interesting plots and characters so I keep coming back but I don’t know how many more times I can take having to lose something that I’ve come to love. Then it’s just like poring salt in the wounds when I find out what it had been cancelled to make room for is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. You make good shows but bad choices abc family.

9. Kim says:

What junk are they going to replace it with! Love Bunheads!

10. Adrienne says:

Yeah, still in it for Switched at Birth, but they keep taking off the smart shows like Bunheads to air shows that promote lying, soap opera-esqe nonesense that goes extreme lengths towards dumbing down America…sigh, nightmares of “Secret Life” floating through my mind. I wonder what helped bring about stupid reality shows like 16 and Pregnant that glorify immature and bad decisions by making teenagers who make bad decisions famous and wealthy. If Bunheads was the standard, maybe young girls would understand that they should set goals in their teens that come to fruition when they are old enough to know themselves a little better. Even if characters on Bunheads did not make good decisions, they had to live with them and develop a way to overcome them rather than get rewarded for them every step of the way. It’s a better reality to teach young women.

11. Susie says:

seriously?? wow…u know what why would they keep it…they probably need room for some drug/sex/divorce/race/ nonsense that will conveniently get more ratings or that they will have the mysterious funding for…crap…TV IS CRAP thanks ABC FAM you are a failure

12. shakeia says:

If ABC Family cancels any of the shows that they have gotten me addicted to this summer I will officially stop watching that channel!

13. sallPB says:

whyyy :((((((

14. Kaitlyn says:

First Jane by Design now Bunheads?! What the heck?!

15. Dee says:

What a shame.. I liked watching Bunheads.

16. Lex says:

I don’t understand how they could cancel such a good show. It’s like all the shows that are different with the storyline get cancelled and they keep the shows that all seem to have the same plots and events. Every TV show seems to be the same. First Jane by design and now bunheads.

17. Lex says:

Atleast I still have switched at birth , and baby daddy, and hopefully the fosters will make it another season

18. Kim says:

Unbelievable!!!! Every time a good wholesome, hilarious and fun show is created, it get’s cancelled! What is wrong with having a show that has a good following of people yet is not in the top ten? We like TV and get tired of having little to watch. Give the show and me a break!!!!!!!!

19. crystalee Reid says:

First jane by design and now this thanks ABC family thanks a lot

20. Maria says:

sigh, thank you ABC family for getting rid of your best FAMILY show, real smart! for the people who want to see a good ballet show try breaking point, they follow a real ballet company. Do not watch that horrible dance mom show, they are so mean and nasty and the teacher is even worse. I cant believe that show and her new spin off show is still on, doesnt make since to keep the garbage and cancel the good shows!

21. KC says:

Really a black white thing?
    BLACK HISTORY MONTH
    MISS BLACK USA
    BET?
    Need I go on? if every everyone wants to be equal stop segregated yourselves.

22. Camille A Fishback says:

So no Bunheads? That totally sucks! I’ve been waiting all summer for it. What r u guys thinking! It was very entertaining. Why yank it? Please have a heart, put it back!

23. katie says:

this totally sucks it was getting soo good, you can’t just cancel now. your ruining my life!!!

24. Cherie says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS? BUNHEADS WAS AWESOMEEEE!!!!!! :(

25. Mrs Mike says:

Too bad TV has room for yet ANOTHER show about witches and vampires and teenagers scheming to sleep with married men but no room for a show about kids who are interested in the simplicity and complexity of learning to express themselves through dance. ABC Family, you are off my viewin list. Good luck Bunheads. And SF, you were heartbreakingly wonderful in San Francisco.

26. Iulian says:

it hard to say , but in last 2 decade , it is obvious . many intresting series can’t make rating in USA . level of consumer in Usa is very low .

• Billiam says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with consumers. It is an archaic ratings system such as Nielson that does the ratings by a ‘sampling’ by actual viewing at the time the show airs and doesn’t give any or much weight to on-demand, DVR or online viewing. The world has gone online and Nielson is still stuck in the 1980’s.

27. kanti says:

Im from Indonesia,i cant stop watching the show.I think its the only show where artists can showcase their real talents.And we need more show like Bunheads rather than some girls trying to get boys drama

28. kim malicoat says:

Leave the negative BS out! No need for name calling. I do agree the show had great potential. It was not on a major TV station, I stumbled on it by accident. I think that without the big league advertisement the show needed time for the audience to build. This needed to be done by word of mouth and these days it can take a season for that to happen. I also agree that the story line and acting was beginning to improve greatly. It was a new show with mostly new actors. It was also a good family oriented show. For those of us that do not care for the undead’s, another police drama or reality shows it was a breath of fresh air

29. Well…keys leave on these airhead reality shows and let go shows of substance. Poor choice on networks part… but then again it doesn’t …you will still draw your paycheck.

30. Lindsay says:

Another great, heartwarming and delightful show, cancelled. I loved HUGE, and I was just getting into Bunheads. DAMN…..guess pointless, over dramatized, trashy reality TV is what sells…..too bad:/

31. Sewest says:

Delayed reaction … I’m just realizing Bunheads hadn’t returned and am SO DISAPPOINTED to learn of the cancellation. Please, please bring it back !!

32. Maryanne says:

So sad that Bunheads is cancelled. I didn’t have cable tv last year so I watched online. I was so looking forward to watching it on tv this year :(

33. Nelly says:

Gilmore Girls is my favorite show ever so i had big hopes on bunheads, thought it was not as good, i dont know why maybe characters were too much unrealistic or something, it was a great show and was becoming better in las episodes.. i was waitting for second season! you are making a mistake by cancelling it, you had any show as good as this one!

34. Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped
    me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

35. Jessica says:

ABC and their affiliates need to learn nelisen rating really don’t reflect view ship accurately any more. This is the digital age and you really need to wait until at least the second season. I say this because I discovered bunheads on amazon over the summer. I was thrilled at how amazing this show was. And FYI ABC Disney this summer I was working at a casino and I waited on a very nice couple. They were there playing slots. Guess what they were supposed to be doing…. watching TV because they were neilson household. So maybe you guys need to update how you track ratings because it is obvious from the crap you keep on the air that your bossiness model goes something like this. You make a great show with the unions and sag actors and crew. Leave it on for 1 season or less. Then shamelessly promote your talk shows and reality shows. I hope very soon to see another strike like the writers guild strike of 2010. This time with sag and some of the other unions to reach you greedy corporate bean counters. If we want more reality and talk shows we can watch YouTube. Seriously get some better programing or I think very soon we will be seeing all the decent shows start coming from online networks. And more and more people dropping cable. And I for one am not going to by anymore Disney crap that cost twice as much just because you put one of your characters or Its the official princess dress. My kids are as happy playing with a fairy doll as they would be with a Tinkerbell doll. Stop looking at how much more you can make and put out some quality programs.

36. Catherine says:

Just watched all of Bunheads and loved it. Ya I’m late… I have a toddler. Damn you ABC. Now I guess we get another reality show. Ya it’s probably cheaper but America is fed up with idiots it was nice to have a real show for a minute. Poor choice on getting rid of it.

37. Christina says:

Bunheahds was a show to lift your soul and make you laugh. Iam sorry ABC family has chosen money over good taste. May The Lord bless the cast of Bunheads as it was very good to make you feel much better about your days.

• Billiam says:

Grey’s Anatomy creator highly criticized Bunheads because it didn’t have black people in it… So, I guess ABC Family wouldn’t have cancelled it if they had a black girl in the dance classes who was a member of a gang who was selling drugs to the kids at their school and having sex with all of the members of the gang…. I mean, The Fosters, which replaced Bunheads basically has all of that and more: sex, drugs, bad kids…. oh, and gay parents, we shouldn’t forget the gay angle…. we should have seen a girl in Bunheads that was gay too, right? Give me a break… Family shows should be just that: Family shows, not something you watch first to make sure it is appropriate for your kids…

38. sasha says:

They have been taken all the good shows………ughhh why?

39. dawn says:

Wow….I’m with most people, ABC off my list…honestly I have six daughters and it was an awesome show we would all watch together and that’s rare to have a show that’s got all of us loving…. just waiting for the next episode :( my mom’s 68, I’m 48 and daughters are 29,27,25,19,17,14. How many shows today are for all ages….it felt issues and laughs addressed all ages….booooooo were sad :(…….honestly isn’t there anything we can do????

40. Sonya says:

I have never watched PLL and never will it for for teenagers however… I danced for years and fell in love with Bunheads and I am still so sad they let it go without really giving it a chance… I still watch GG and it gave me the same vibe… Poor poor choice that they would rather keep a show about teen girls murdering each other then and wonder shop about dance.

41. Billiam says:

I can’t seem to find the post by the Arab that was just sent but I agree…. the race card had no business in being played here. It was a good family show. I am white and I’m discriminated against sometimes too… Its no longer the 1950s. There is hate everywhere… or, at the minimum, unease. I’m disabled and I can’t tell you the number of times mothers in restaurants shield their children when they see me, like I think their child is part of the menu… Any TV show that try to introduce a disabled character either makes that character superhuman or doesn’t make it… I’m not superhuman. I’m just a strong person on the inside and I’m not about to boycott shows because there are no blind or deaf or amputees on the show (if anything, I’m offended by the fact that a disabled character is played by an actor who isn’t disabled)… it’s like a white actor trying to play a black character… oh, boy, I bet that would make you 10 times more angry than a show with only white actors, wouldn’t it? Peace, Love, Equality…. not in our lifetimes, I’m afraid.

• Anna Lee says:

well said. i would have loved for them to have cast a deaf ballerina to show dancers are not just tall and thin. was it a former miss america that was a deaf ballerina or miss usa? she’s from alabama.

to the dude who said the show was racist – bunheads had 2 black ballet dancers, btw. don’t forget that the 2 actors who used to be on gilmore girls as gypsy and sal (can’t remember the names on bunheads) are hispanic. so saying it was a racist show b/c of a lack of multiple ethnicities is incorrect and shows you didn’t actually watch it.

42. michelle says:

along with watching bunheads , jane by design , and the lying game. they all got canceled and i really had loved these shows !

43. michelle says:

I MISS THIS SHOW SO MUch not fair

44. Jacqui lloyd says:

I am truly gutted . I have just bought and watched the first series and loved it . There is nothing out there similar and I am shocked at how quickly ABC ditch a sitcom . Guess I shall cancel watching or buying anything from a cable company to save disappointment

• Bill says:

The Bunheads replacement was supposed to be The Fosters which is all about the gay and racial issues. I like the show but sometimes I wished that they’d just do a good show without trying to fit every agenda into it. In fact, they are trying to make the youngest kid on the show think he’s gay too and he’s only about 10… not everything is or should be about the social issues of the day. Kids should be able to just be kids without worrying about all of this stuff… Ironically, Bunheads was cancelled with a 0.4 in the target demo (18-49 ages) and 1.3 million total viewers. The Fosters did 0.5 with 1.5 million this past week… so, by the same measure, if they sink any lower in the ratings, it should be cancelled and not get a 2nd half or a 3rd season pickup… makes me sad because I like the show (but won’t let my daughter watch it) but would rather have had another season of Bunheads which I never worried about my daughter watching…

45. Iliana says:

Bunheads is awesome and you suck