It's Official: Bunheads Cancelled by ABC Family

Bunheads CancelledUPDATE: ABC Family is now officially confirming that Bunheads has indeed been cancelled.

Bunheads is a wonderful series that we are very proud to have aired,” said an ABC Family rep in a statement. “The series had amazing storytelling, the most talented cast and a passionate and loyal fan base. Recognizing all of this, we took extra time to try and find ways to bring the series back for another season, but in the end it simply wasn’t possible.  We wish the cast and crew the best in their future endeavors.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

ORIGINAL STORY: ABC Family is on the verge of cancelling Amy Sherman-Palladino’s acclaimed-but-little-seen ballet dramedy after one season.

“It’s definitely on life support — at best,” acknowledges AS-P’s spouse, Bunheads consulting producer Daniel Palladino. “It’s gasping for air, pumped full of drugs.

“And the waiting… geez,” he adds of the network’s months-long cone of silence. “I don’t want to say it’s getting ridiculous, but Obama is planning to address it on Monday.”

One reason for the hold-up on a renewal/cancellation decision, per insiders, is that ABC Family has been actively looking for more cost-efficient methods to produce the Sutton Foster-fronted series moving forward. Unfortunately, it’s not looking like any of those options will take root.

1. Loz says:

Nooooooooo…… Wish they wld reconsider.

2. Sarah j says:

ABC Famaily–what’re you thinking?! please keep Bunheads!

3. Nessie says:

I am disappoint.

4. Lola says:

Sad! :-(

5. Lana says:

Well, ABC Family can just kiss my astors…

6. Linda says:

AWWWW, BUTTERNUT BISCUIT! That’s a damn shame.

7. Kat says:

well now that they canceled bunheads, i won’t have any reason to watch this channel anymore. i’ll be taking my viewership somewhere else.

8. A says:

First The Lying Game then this. Not surprised by either but I’m bumming hard though.

9. Castlefan says:

That’s a shame. It was actually getting good. The second half of the season was so much better than the first.

Is it still too early to tell if The Fosters will be back? Want to start that show but I don’t want to get too attached if its canceled.

• Aimee says:

Well, it’s too soon to tell but the ratings numbers have been pretty steady for The Fosters so that’s a good sign. It’s a pretty safe bet that it will at least get a full season pick-up. Don’t deprive youself of a good show. Check it out.

10. A says:

11. Sarah says:

Seriously abc family???? First Greek and now this??

12. Deb says:

Well crap ! I’ll miss my weekly dose of Sutton Foster !

13. greysfan says:

So they put crap programs like The Vineyard to air yet decent series like Bunheads and The Lying Game get cancelled. Nice one ABC Family.

14. CJ says:

I’m not surprised to see it go but I am very disappointed. What a great little show. I think had they aired a second season, they would’ve seen the ratings go up because of how many people have discovered the show AFTER it finished airing. It’s been available on Amazon Prime for a while now and I know a lot of people who got caught up and would’ve watched new episodes had ABC Family ordered them. Such a shame.

15. kat says:

This show was finally making me appreciate ABC Family once again…I am so sick of everything else they are airing and Bunheads finally made me watch the network once again. Sorry to see it go…and with it ABCFam is losing a viewer.

16. Brandy says:

Too bad.All I have left on abcfzm is Switched at Birth & Prstty Little Liars.

17. The Lying Game & Bunheads were two of ABC Family original shows I wasn’t interested in and now both of them are history. Now they got two of the network’s biggest hits in Pretty Little Liars and Switched at Birth as well as two newbies in The Fosters and Twisted. Don’t know how Ravenswood would fare when it debuts in October.

18. tp says:

So many storylines left open. Thanks for nothing ABC Family. After Switched At Birth ends I won’t have a reason to watch the channel anymore.

19. LynnH says:

Shameful how ABC made the show wait months and months for a decision. Another wonderful show axed to make room for more crap. Really hope Sutton Foster lands another show – she’s an absolute delight.

20. Georgia says:

That news did NOT make my day! Bunheads was a great shoqw. Loved the snappy, quirky dialog. Fun to watch! Been associated with dancers all my life — this was soooo true to life. Sad, sad, sad.

21. iammusic says:

Well I am severely disappointed. Poor move, ABC Family. You finally had a quality show that wasn’t just watched by pre-teens.

22. Elizabeth says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

23. exBFF says:

I have ice cream and iTunes. Whose up for a Bunheads marathon?

PS…ABC Family, you suck. No sprinkles for you!

24. Just goes to show that they don’t want to have quality on this channel, just another Pretty Little Liars rip-off.

25. Lilacbarries says:

All the shows on abcfamily are the same, PLL, secret life, switched at birth and now twisted all whiny teens with some secret to hide. At least Bunheads was something a little different, the whole family could enjoy. Can’t say I’m really surprised but still highly disappointed. I have been enjoying the Fosters but it’s still more of the same. This has not been my year for my favorite shows to be renewed.

26. Linda says:

What a disappointment. One of the best shows you have and have the money to bring it back, but you won’t. I think you should do a reality show and call it “BUTTHEADS'” The show was great and the dialog was fast and snappy. Love Sutton Foster and hopefully some other network will pick the show up. And thanks for leaving us hanging from the cliff.

27. Dear ABC Family, You officially suck. That is all.

28. SLS says:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

29. Michele says:

wtf :(

30. Sabrina says:

Abc family officially no longer has any taste

31. Shannon says:

A big bummer for all the fans. I knew when Lying Game got cancelled that Bunheads was a goner. Btw, I still miss Jane By Design. *sigh*

32. MandaC says:

i liked the show. but towards the middle of the season more and more GG alumni were popping up. i kept waiting for luke & taylor to make an appearance.

33. Toia says:

This is the only thing I’ve ever watched on this channel. I don’t really know the politics of it but I’m sure ASP doesn’t come cheep nor does Ms Foster. Plus insuring a bunch of young women to dance is a lot of money. Also I see a lot of people taking about a tax incentive of 5 million do you know how much it cost to produce a TV show? That’s a drop in the bucket.

I’m sad to see the show go but I wouldn’t want to watch a cheep no frills version. This show was a rare jem in an other wise turd pile of programming (IMHO) on there network. The exec obviously have there vision of what they want ABC Family to be and that’s inexpensive easy to produce shows. And good luck to them.

34. jericho says:

Seriously, first Lying Game now Bunheads… What kind of rubbish are they going to put on instead? More Twisted? Please no. More reality crap like Vineyard? Please NO.

35. Jared says:

Why can’t ABCFamily just be honest and admit Bunheads cancellation was due to its low ratings? By saying the series was cancelled due to the budget when it would have been part of the California tax credit is so ridiculous. Most series that get that Tax credit gives it an incentive to keep it in production regardless of the ratings because it is so cheap to produce.

36. Joanne Martin says:

This was such a smart well written show. It was so enjoyable and one I looked forward to each week… What a shame…

37. merp says:

Blah blah it was canceled nobody’s fault except for yours,how many of you actually watched it live??

• Billiam says:

The real question here are how many of you are Nielson viewers and actually watched live, including the commercials? THAT’S all the network really cares about.

38. Juan says:

Super bummed about this, such a great show

39. Carole says:

SO disappointed! I enjoyed seeing Kelly Bishop. I had been hopeful for a second season.

40. Kate says:

NO! I loved this show hopefully thought Amy will have more time for a Gilmore Girls movie which would be the best thing ever

41. Molly says:

Come on guys, cheer up! Now she can devote all her time to writing a Gilmore girls movie script…right?

42. Really? Their only non-melodrama or half hour comedy? *sigh* WE COULD’VE HAD IT ALL, ABC FAMILY. YOU HAD MY HEART AND SOUL.

43. Loz says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

44. Eli says:

My heart is broken :(

So long my beautiful bunheads :(

45. gthdez says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO It was the highlight on my week!! How could you do this to meeee?????

46. danbuckley141 says:

Pour one out for the Paradise Dance Academy. They’ll dance on in our memories forever.

47. Susan says:

To say that our family is disappointed, is putting it mildly. Bunheads was a quality show that was very entertaining. It also was the only thing that we watched on ABC Family. The rest of their programming is horrible.

48. Anne Marie says:

What can one say except I will miss the wit and charm this show provided. This is a rare
    occurrence on tv today. ABC you had a little treasure and you let it go.

49. Luther says:

Secret life finale was a disaster, then the Lying Game was cancelled, and pretty little liars continues to go nowhere… ABC family is a sinking ship