Comic-Con

The Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln on the Return of 'the Old Rick' in Season 4, Romance With Michonne and 'the Most Appalling Loss'

You’d expect a guy who was sworn to secrecy to be about as chatty as a biter. But when Walking Dead leading man Andrew Lincoln was ushered into TVLine’s Comic-Con suite for a Q&A with Michael Ausiello, he turned out to be pretty darned forthcoming about Season 4 of the AMC hit (which kicks off Oct. 13).

VIDEO | Watch The Walking Dead‘s Mind-Blowingly Epic Season 4 Trailer

Not only does the actor hint at a “return to the old Rick,” he reveals that the chemistry viewers sensed between the sheriff and Michonne “is being mined much more.” He also opens up about what he calls “the most appalling loss.”

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with your thoughts/theories/musings.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Video

1. Wrstlgirl says:

Interesting he mentioned losing limbs.

• wordsmith says:

I’m sure he’s at least peripherally aware of what happens in the comics, and the possibility that some of that might transfer over to the show.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I have no doubt. Being that they are 5-6 episodes in I’m sure he’s more than aware. I just thought it was interesting that he mentioned it is all.

2. Cate Amos says:

I really don’t know how I’ll be able to hang on until October. Despite the fact that TWD has been labeled “genre” TV, the characterization is fabulous. (BTW Ausie, love the T-shirt.)

3. Nick C says:

you’d have to recast Sophia and Carl but i wish they’d fill an offseason with a couple night mini series event. Showing the 2 weeks Rick was in a coma. T-Dog and Glenn driving around saving old folks. Shane keeping Lori and Carl Safe. The Dixon’s and how they joined the group. And the battle of Atlanta. Not to mention every other character who’s joined the show since. As a fan it would be great back story and help with the long wait until October.

4. Babybop says:

I always forget he’s British!

5. ajintexas says:

Uggh, they kill off Andrea, who he actually had a romance with in the comics, so he can have one with Michonne? Please, what a mistake trying to shove this on us. I thought they were introducing Tyrese this season, which is who Michonne is supposed to have a romance with. But no, we gotta go all “edgy” inter-racial crap instead of following the comics, even loosly.

• Wrstlgirl says:

Noone’s shoving anything on you. If you don’t like it pick up the remote.

• Mike R. says:

He never said there will actually be a romance between the two, just te dynamic between them will continue. It is much more likely a romance between Karen and Rick will happen. Andrea was awesome in the comics but royally messed her up on the show, and I’m not even sure she could have been redeemed, so I can’t say I will miss her.

• KellsBells says:

No one is forcing anything. The writing for “Clear” was so good Rick & Michonne seemed to have chemistry. Many people think so and want to see it. You seem to be overly disgusted, sounds like a personal issue. Get over it!

• Nick C says:

this isn’t the comic.
      and IMO thank god for that.

• Chaos says:

“in the comics”

Apparently you STILL haven’t gotten the memo. The show doesn’t follow the comic storyline.

Also, its 2013. If you can’t handle the notion of interracial relationships, you have some very serious issues. There’s still some segregationist groups around though. You should join one.

6. Jooshua says:

Hopefully the Michonne romance won’t happen.. I too am super bummed about not seeing a Rick and Andrea relationship play out.

• DonDraperSaysWhat says:

Me too. The new showrunner could have easily redeemed her character instead of that assface Glen Mazara

• KellsBells says:

Andreas dead, her story ran its course. What worked for a comic book doesn’t work for TV get over it.

• Sheri says:

most of the crappy stuff from the show, is not in comic.

Seems like 50% of the time when they vary from the comic its not that good

will see what this next season brings

7. I can listen to him talk all day…and not just because of his gorgeous voice! Andrew has such intellect and insight about the show and characters. Great interview.

8. Aly says:

I don’t think chemistry necessarily always means romantic chemistry. Dynamic might be a better word for it. In that case, Rick and Michonne have an amazing amount of chemistry or awesome dynamic between them. Same thing with Rick, Daryl and Rick or even Beth and Carol.

9. annie says:

I hope they dont go anywhere near a romance with rick and michonne. That would be too nasty. I would stop watching the show if they go that route. Michonne is a beeyotchy character and while i know she is a big thing in the comics, i cannot stand her on the show. Dont ruin TWD by putting these two together.

• liz says:

Michonne is a badass. Easily my favourite character….so anything that gives us more screentime with her is welcomed.

10. Poppy says:

Andrew Lincoln is a fantastic actor and he always has great insights into the show. Lucky Michael gets to interview him!

11. Allie says:

Please tell me that I’m not the only one who noticed Beth getting a little friendly with Darryl. That is not cool! That’s Carol’s man. End of story. I wouldn’t mind seeing Beth with Rick, though not sure how Herschel would feel about that. I just don’t see Rick with Michonne and it’s not because of race, I just don’t think she’s his type. However, the writers have always been awesome, so I put my trust in them. Can’t wait until October!!!

12. Sherri Littlefield says:

I don’t see why we have to have “relationships” with anyone. We already have a Glenn/Maggie thing. We all know Carol’s been sniffing Daryl’s butt since her husband died. Let them “do it” and then kill her. In my opinion she’s outlived her usefulness. We also know Beth is supposed to be 17. To young for Rick or Daryl. These people are like a big family trying to stay alive. Why do we need sex to make this a good show when it already is a great show.

13. sufyan says:

I really Want to watch this season 4, this is first movie I love with all my heart.

• AshleyRae says:

Daryl,Rick, and Michonne are my favs. on TWD.
      Mich. is a badass AND i’m down w/rick and mich. together…………RICHONNE!!!!!!!!!!

14. DeLo says:

Seems like we got a lot of white female racist up in here. Don’t want to see that white on black love. LOL

15. cindy s says:

I think they would be a cute couple as they are both so scarred and lonely. That would work for me. Love both their characters. Darryl is my fav

16. sherry says:

I would love too see rick &michonne hook up in the comics. She has feelings for Rick but he doesn’t feel the same about her. I guess I have to settle for Richonne on the show. Honestly, I don’t think it is gonna happen. It is too soon after Lori’s death.

17. Sommer says:

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you’re
    a great author. I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back someday.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice day!

18. Google says:

* A sitemap to navigate your website is helpful for visitors to
    access main pages. Dеѕріtе thе
    аѕѕurаnсе оf fооlрrооf
    рrіvасу рrоtесtіоn bу thе
    ѕе ѕеаrсh еngіnеѕ, у
    оu ѕhоuld lооk іntо
    іt реrѕоnаllу
    . But it seems Memorial Day wasn’t important enough to Google.