Comic-Con

The CW Developing Supernatural Spin-Off

We Need To Talk About KevinAngels aren’t the only heavenly things coming our way in Supernaturals ninth season.

The CW is developing a spin-off of the long-running drama, TVLine has confirmed. Executive producer Bob Singer first announced the project during a press event at Comic-Con on Sunday.

Details are few and far between right now — it’s still early in the process — but here’s what we’ve gleaned: A new character will be introduced in or around Episode 20 (which will serve as a planted pilot for the new show). That character will then anchor the spin-off.

RELATED | Supernatural @ Comic-Con: Winchesters ‘Stronger Than Ever,’ an Angelic Free-for-All and More Scoop

While the Winchesters are fond of running around the great outdoors, we’re hearing that the new endeavor will have a more citified feel.

The network is, of course, launching another spin-off of a wildly popular otherworldly drama this fall with the Vampire Diaries offshoot The Originals.

Sam and Dean will be back in Supernatural‘s Season 9 premiere, Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 9/8c.

Supe fans, what would you like to see in a series spin-off? Fill the comments with your thoughts, hopes and dreams!

1. Dan says:

They really should have started this years ago, but I’d be on board. It be would be great if they could find a way to bring back Alaina Huffman as Abaddon or Julie Mcniven’s Anna to take point, or be the duo.

2. Nika says:

“Angels aren’t the only heavenly things coming our way in Supernatural‘s ninth season.”

…Too Soon, man.

3. Ali Kien says:

I would love to see #ChristianKane as a the new character he totally has the chops to do it and would be an epic addition to the SPN family!!!!

4. Madeline says:

I would like to see a Cas spin-off. I enjoy Cas as a character, but I don’t think he makes a ton of sense in the SPN universe anymore.

I think Cas’ continued presence on the show moves the show in a direction I don’t like. Largely because of Cas, Season 9 is going to be heavily focused on angels. I’m sick of angels.

The Winchesters don’t really have any real personal stake in the angels anymore either. Not since season 5. There is no personal connection/motivation/investment for the Winchesters with the angels. Without that personal connection, SPN lacks a certain punch. Let the angels in-fight and whatever, but I just don’t see why brothers would be involved. I don’t see angels as supernatural. I want to see more monsters again. And I still really like the demons & adore Crowley. I want to see the brothers fighting ghosts again.

Give Cas his own spin-off and deal with the angels in that show. Not on SPN.

• I don’t agree at all. I think they have a very personal motivation; Cas! He’s like a bbrother to them.
      And all the fallen angels aren’t just gonna get back in Heaven by themselfs. The world will be quite chaotic with all the fallen angels that are totally clueless about how to be human and being on earth. Somebody’s gotta clean that up. It’s a huge chance for Hell to really start killing of angels and that need to be stoped too. And then we have a crazy ass angry and powerful angel that has taken over Heaven.. So I think they have plenty of motivation for being involved in this! Somebody’s gotta fix things and it’s always up to our boys!

• Madeline says:

Yeah, Cas is the brothers friend. But the brothers only care about him. Not the hundreds of other fallen angels. I just don’t see why they would care about angels on the whole. To the angels, they are two (essentially) insignificant humans.

While the Winchesters will help Cas with angels because he is their friend, I still don’t see the personal connection. It is more Cas’ problem than the brothers. And I see this as a problem because the Winchesters should be centered in the storyline as the two lead characters.

• Restless says:

To be fair, how are ghosts and monsters the WInchester’s problems? How are they connected to demons anymore? They’re not. They’re one off stories that get solved in 30 minutes or less with a magical item for people who don’t watch every week. At least the angels give Supernatural an interesting storyline with more developed characters who have motivations outside of being bad for badness’ sake.

So yes I agree, I’d rather Castiel and the angels get their own spinoff. Because, yea, I admit it. I’m bored of the unconnected and pointless monster hunts and would totally just like to see a solid show with the angels instead of the glimpses and being told what happened all the time.

• Madeline
          I think I explained quite well in the rest of my comment after the phrase “He’s like a brother to them” why they would care about the fallen angels, but you’re writing like you didn’t even read it. If the whole world gets messed up, it’s defenitly a Winchester problem. Especially when they were involved in messing it up again.

5. Day says:

Honestly, as long as it’s not The Charlie/Felicia Day Show, I’m cool with it.

Though, really, a spinoff with Jo and Ellen would have been the best ever.

6. Jensen Ackles good friend Christian Kane would make an awesome hunter type of character!!

7. oak says:

For me a spin-off on the dream team Charlie Bradburyn Garth Fitzgerald IV, Aaron and the Golem

or Ghostfacers

8. oak says:

And a serie on former angels became hunters

9. oak says:

I want Michael J anderson as an hunter and Scott Bakula as a Man of Letters.
    A older Dean and Sam team.

10. Speaking of female characters… Am I the only one that misses Anna??? The redheaded fallen angel that was romantically involved with Dean? I thought she was awesome!

11. Scott says:

The only way I can see a SPN spin-off working is if they revive the “movie-quality” production and story elements that SPN had until the time where Sera Gamble took over the show. I believe that the “movie every week” theme has long since been lost, shortly after Kim Manners’ death actually.

When you go back and watch SPN’s Pilot, you can definitely tell that there was generally a lot more effort put into the lighting, camera shots, script, sound and even costume. The world feels much more unexplored and dark (even when you know what the next 8 years holds in store for the brothers), but also light-hearted and strangely comfortable; it was this sense of isolation and realism that made the world feel as if it were really real. When’s the last time Sam and Dean have been seen driving across a huge empty landscape? Or that “Bitch, Jerk” thing that really established Sam and Dean as close brothers, and not just co-hunters being miserable with one another?

But now I believe SPN has lost that quality, which I think is due to the tone of the show being dulled down. The writers have lost that balance that stopped the MotW episodes from feeling like filler episodes, and to make up for it they seem to cram in every fourth-wall-breaking fan service and gay joke that they can to appease the rabbid slashfans.

What I am concerned about is how the new centralised character will fare. Outside the main cast and guest stars, Hunters mostly seem unlikeable and rather generic. I hope they plan on waiting until after SPN ends at S10 before they start this spin-off so we fandom can get to know the character. If I know SPN fans, they’re going to be hated one way or the other so it would be great to give the SPN team some time to mould the character into the SPN world’s next hero.

12. Kody says:

This means that there will not be a season 10??? Season 9 is the end???

13. Meg says:

Is anyone really gonna watch the spinoff if it has a female lead?! Seriously doubt it. Since its mostly women watching, and older ones at that, I’m betting its another very attractive 20-30 something male lead. I have no problem with that. I liked Buffy, but I didn’t watch for Buffy. And that show was an exception that hasn’t been duplicated since.

14. renee says:

I wonder if it could be a spinoff with the kid hunters? That would make the most sense based on what they have set up in the series so far. They already have experience and are living together as a family unit. Makes sense the series would be about them.

15. Jeanie Henke says:

I wish the Spin-Off would be about a character we’re already familiar with…like Castiel.
    A show mainly about angels would be really awesome!

16. Kaya says:

My theory is that they get Adam out of the cage and he anchors the spin off. Maybe by new character they just mean someone who was just a supporting character before and is now being made into a main character

17. Clare says:

BIG amount of money and time thrown away! Is what I see that will happen.

18. SL says:

Please do not make the spin off about the next generation of would be hunters. I did not like that episode where the girl returned oh I cannot remember, but they saved her dad from the vampires.

19. Mary Bates says:

I’d love to see more of Charlie and Garth..A bit more funny, witty, nerdyness to the spinoff would be nice. A bit more on the Buffy side of demon hunting, and please.. enough with all the angels and devils crap! It’s really overdone and starting to bore me!! I miss the days of weekly bad guys, when if you missed an episode – not that I would, but you it didn’t matter cause you pick up the following week!

20. Cynthia Scott says:

I want Sam and Dean to be the new Starsky n Hutch with Felicia Day as Huggie Bear but she helps out w the cases more!

21. He decided to tell me around 60 days that he used to be a drug dealer; his father moved in with him because he was
    an alcoholic; his mother was in a mental institution because of abuse from his father; his sister was dying of a
    deadly disease; and he wanted me to buy him a cell phone and give him $20 because he used his money to pay for his sister’s
    grocery bill. It is a niche business opportunity
    with less competition and a great market potential.
    Paid subscribers can even exchange emails and messages.

22. Erika says:

I’m not sure I would watch the show if it’s not Dean and Sam. It would have to knock my socks off the first episode. I like of the idea of having a woman as a main figure. The best thing about the show complicated realationship they struggle with and struggle to maintain through the darkness of the show. The fans always know that the brother will go through heaven or hell for family. We need that kind chemistry for the main chactors. I like the idea of a girl boy team. To have this kind of show in city there would hAve to be an organization something like the men of letters had. Off my soap box now!