Comic-Con

The CW Developing Supernatural Spin-Off

Get More: Comic-Con, News

We Need To Talk About KevinAngels aren’t the only heavenly things coming our way in Supernaturals ninth season.

The CW is developing a spin-off of the long-running drama, TVLine has confirmed. Executive producer Bob Singer first announced the project during a press event at Comic-Con on Sunday.

Details are few and far between right now — it’s still early in the process — but here’s what we’ve gleaned: A new character will be introduced in or around Episode 20 (which will serve as a planted pilot for the new show). That character will then anchor the spin-off.

RELATED | Supernatural @ Comic-Con: Winchesters ‘Stronger Than Ever,’ an Angelic Free-for-All and More Scoop

While the Winchesters are fond of running around the great outdoors, we’re hearing that the new endeavor will have a more citified feel.

The network is, of course, launching another spin-off of a wildly popular otherworldly drama this fall with the Vampire Diaries offshoot The Originals.

Sam and Dean will be back in Supernatural‘s Season 9 premiere, Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 9/8c.

Supe fans, what would you like to see in a series spin-off? Fill the comments with your thoughts, hopes and dreams!

Comments (211)

• They really should have started this years ago, but I’d be on board. It be would be great if they could find a way to bring back Alaina Huffman as Abaddon or Julie Mcniven’s Anna to take point, or be the duo.

Comment by Dan – July 22, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those two fiery redheads would be awesomesauce. :)

Comment by Restless – July 23, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Angels aren’t the only heavenly things coming our way in Supernatural‘s ninth season.”

…Too Soon, man.

Comment by Nika – July 22, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see #ChristianKane as a the new character he totally has the chops to do it and would be an epic addition to the SPN family!!!!

Comment by Ali Kien – July 22, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see a Cas spin-off. I enjoy Cas as a character, but I don’t think he makes a ton of sense in the SPN universe anymore.

I think Cas’ continued presence on the show moves the show in a direction I don’t like. Largely because of Cas, Season 9 is going to be heavily focused on angels. I’m sick of angels.

The Winchesters don’t really have any real personal stake in the angels anymore either. Not since season 5. There is no personal connection/motivation/investment for the Winchesters with the angels. Without that personal connection, SPN lacks a certain punch. Let the angels in-fight and whatever, but I just don’t see why brothers would be involved. I don’t see angels as supernatural. I want to see more monsters again. And I still really like the demons & adore Crowley. I want to see the brothers fighting ghosts again.

Give Cas his own spin-off and deal with the angels in that show. Not on SPN.

Comment by Madeline – July 22, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t agree at all. I think they have a very personal motivation; Cas! He’s like a bbrother to them.
      And all the fallen angels aren’t just gonna get back in Heaven by themselfs. The world will be quite chaotic with all the fallen angels that are totally clueless about how to be human and being on earth. Somebody’s gotta clean that up. It’s a huge chance for Hell to really start killing of angels and that need to be stoped too. And then we have a crazy ass angry and powerful angel that has taken over Heaven.. So I think they have plenty of motivation for being involved in this! Somebody’s gotta fix things and it’s always up to our boys!

Comment by Faye Moonáhi Bergh Liljehammar – July 22, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, Cas is the brothers friend. But the brothers only care about him. Not the hundreds of other fallen angels. I just don’t see why they would care about angels on the whole. To the angels, they are two (essentially) insignificant humans.

While the Winchesters will help Cas with angels because he is their friend, I still don’t see the personal connection. It is more Cas’ problem than the brothers. And I see this as a problem because the Winchesters should be centered in the storyline as the two lead characters.

Comment by Madeline – July 22, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To be fair, how are ghosts and monsters the WInchester’s problems? How are they connected to demons anymore? They’re not. They’re one off stories that get solved in 30 minutes or less with a magical item for people who don’t watch every week. At least the angels give Supernatural an interesting storyline with more developed characters who have motivations outside of being bad for badness’ sake.

So yes I agree, I’d rather Castiel and the angels get their own spinoff. Because, yea, I admit it. I’m bored of the unconnected and pointless monster hunts and would totally just like to see a solid show with the angels instead of the glimpses and being told what happened all the time.

Comment by Restless – July 23, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Madeline
          I think I explained quite well in the rest of my comment after the phrase “He’s like a brother to them” why they would care about the fallen angels, but you’re writing like you didn’t even read it. If the whole world gets messed up, it’s defenitly a Winchester problem. Especially when they were involved in messing it up again.

Comment by Faye Moonáhi Bergh Liljehammar – July 23, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, as long as it’s not The Charlie/Felicia Day Show, I’m cool with it.

Though, really, a spinoff with Jo and Ellen would have been the best ever.

Comment by Day – July 22, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jensen Ackles good friend Christian Kane would make an awesome hunter type of character!!

Comment by Margaret Ingham – July 22, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me a spin-off on the dream team Charlie Bradburyn Garth Fitzgerald IV, Aaron and the Golem

or Ghostfacers

Comment by oak – July 22, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And a serie on former angels became hunters

Comment by oak – July 22, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’d be interesting! But I’ll be heartbroken if the angels don’t get their wings back.

Comment by Restless – July 23, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Michael J anderson as an hunter and Scott Bakula as a Man of Letters.
    A older Dean and Sam team.

Comment by oak – July 22, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of female characters… Am I the only one that misses Anna??? The redheaded fallen angel that was romantically involved with Dean? I thought she was awesome!

Comment by Jessilynn Pooley – July 23, 2013 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only way I can see a SPN spin-off working is if they revive the “movie-quality” production and story elements that SPN had until the time where Sera Gamble took over the show. I believe that the “movie every week” theme has long since been lost, shortly after Kim Manners’ death actually.

When you go back and watch SPN’s Pilot, you can definitely tell that there was generally a lot more effort put into the lighting, camera shots, script, sound and even costume. The world feels much more unexplored and dark (even when you know what the next 8 years holds in store for the brothers), but also light-hearted and strangely comfortable; it was this sense of isolation and realism that made the world feel as if it were really real. When’s the last time Sam and Dean have been seen driving across a huge empty landscape? Or that “Bitch, Jerk” thing that really established Sam and Dean as close brothers, and not just co-hunters being miserable with one another?

But now I believe SPN has lost that quality, which I think is due to the tone of the show being dulled down. The writers have lost that balance that stopped the MotW episodes from feeling like filler episodes, and to make up for it they seem to cram in every fourth-wall-breaking fan service and gay joke that they can to appease the rabbid slashfans.

What I am concerned about is how the new centralised character will fare. Outside the main cast and guest stars, Hunters mostly seem unlikeable and rather generic. I hope they plan on waiting until after SPN ends at S10 before they start this spin-off so we fandom can get to know the character. If I know SPN fans, they’re going to be hated one way or the other so it would be great to give the SPN team some time to mould the character into the SPN world’s next hero.

Comment by Scott – July 23, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This means that there will not be a season 10??? Season 9 is the end???

Comment by Kody – July 23, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will most likely be a season 10. They have said they will do a season 10 if they keep getting good readings and I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem.. :p

Comment by Faye Moonáhi Bergh Liljehammar – July 23, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is anyone really gonna watch the spinoff if it has a female lead?! Seriously doubt it. Since its mostly women watching, and older ones at that, I’m betting its another very attractive 20-30 something male lead. I have no problem with that. I liked Buffy, but I didn’t watch for Buffy. And that show was an exception that hasn’t been duplicated since.

Comment by Meg – July 23, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if it could be a spinoff with the kid hunters? That would make the most sense based on what they have set up in the series so far. They already have experience and are living together as a family unit. Makes sense the series would be about them.

Comment by renee – July 24, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the Spin-Off would be about a character we’re already familiar with…like Castiel.
    A show mainly about angels would be really awesome!

Comment by Jeanie Henke – July 25, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory is that they get Adam out of the cage and he anchors the spin off. Maybe by new character they just mean someone who was just a supporting character before and is now being made into a main character

Comment by Kaya – July 26, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BIG amount of money and time thrown away! Is what I see that will happen.

Comment by Clare – July 26, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please do not make the spin off about the next generation of would be hunters. I did not like that episode where the girl returned oh I cannot remember, but they saved her dad from the vampires.

Comment by SL – July 27, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see more of Charlie and Garth..A bit more funny, witty, nerdyness to the spinoff would be nice. A bit more on the Buffy side of demon hunting, and please.. enough with all the angels and devils crap! It’s really overdone and starting to bore me!! I miss the days of weekly bad guys, when if you missed an episode – not that I would, but you it didn’t matter cause you pick up the following week!

Comment by Mary Bates – July 29, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Sam and Dean to be the new Starsky n Hutch with Felicia Day as Huggie Bear but she helps out w the cases more!

Comment by Cynthia Scott – March 22, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post