Comic-Con

Is The Originals '10 Times Sexier' Than Vampire Diaries? Plus: Co-Stars' 'Awkward' Hand-holding!

Get More: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

To hear Charles Michael Davis tell it, The Originals will be no less than “10 times sexier and cooler” than the CW drama that sired it, The Vampire Diaries.

That was just one of the titillating teases tendered by the spin-off’s cast as they spoke with Meg Masters in TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite.

RELATED | Fall TV Tuesday: NCIS Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. Vs. The Originals and Other DVR Dilemmas

Daniel Gillies, meanwhile, said the New Orleans-set offshoot will feature “more strategic warfare” and Mafia-like grabs for power, now that Elijah’s brother Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan) has returned home. “Elijah wants his kingdom. He wants his brother on the throne,” Gillies added.

VIDEO | Watch Trailers for The Originals, Reign and The CW’s Other New Series

Also in this video Q&A: Claire Holt notes that while Rebekah was “always” going to follow Klaus to New Orleans, there nonetheless will be “turmoil and friction ‘tween the half-sibs; Phoebe Tonkin, who plays Hayley, teases her first-ever Vampire-verse scene with H2O: Just Add Water co-star Holt; and there’s an instance of “awkward” hand-holding by two of our guests!

Comments (23)

• I’m in love with the cast of this show. Can’t wait for it to start air.

Comment by Maki – July 20, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Elijah, you handsome bastard, i would follow you in any show

Comment by rod – July 20, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Daniel Gillies is also on Saving Hope full-time as a series regular. He plays a gorgeous chief of surgery :)

Comment by Laura Aliaga – July 20, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everybody shut up! Daniel Gilles actually really hot! Wow.. That’s all. Go on.

Comment by Claudia – July 20, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand Chest Peckwell/Marcel/whatever. Probably won’t be watching. There’s just something I don’t like about that guy.

Comment by a – July 20, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t mind the actor–he’s quite attractive–but, I just can’t figure out what’s supposed to be menacing about him. The show is going to have to do some serious retconning to make him dangerous to the Mikaelsens; even if he can figure out how to kill Klaus and get the materials, according to current rules killing Klaus kills Marcel.

Even the pact with the witches he’s got going logically could only go so far, because from what I recall Marcel is basically scaring them into doing what he says. If Marcel tells them to attack/freeze/whatever Klaus, all they have to do is defect and have Klaus kill Marcel for betraying him.

Comment by Mari – July 20, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is one of the reasons I think this show will have an uphill battle on their hands. Marcel isn’t scary, at all. Are we to believe that Klaus can’t take this guy down? And Marcel can never really hurt Klaus either. If he kills Klaus, he kills himself. That fact alone takes a lot of tension out of their “rivalry”. I kept hearing that staying in Mystic Falls would hurt Klaus’ character. Honestly, I think more damage is being done in The Originals.

Comment by Lala – July 21, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s not about Klaus hurting Marcel. Klaus’ history with gaining power is a bunch of dead hybrids. He wants the “real” loyalty that Marcel has. Did anyone notice in the pilot that the same vampire Klaus threatened earlier in the episode was ready to protect Marcel at the end? The vampires would die for their King (Marcel). Klaus has never had that type of loyalty before and he will never obtain it by just killing his protégé.

Comment by Lena – July 21, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Honestly no I didn’t notice that it was the same vampire. After the baby bomb dropped I mentally checked out for a few hours, lol.

Comment by Lala – July 21, 2013 07:50 PM PDT
          • So, basically, Klaus has to move to New Orleans to learn how to make friends and influence people?

Sorry. Still not quite tracking for me.

And if the tension is supposed to come from the rivalry between Marcel and Klaus, there needs to be some sort of power equality. There just isn’t at this point.

Comment by Mari – July 22, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
  • Elijah is so unrelentingly serious on TVD that it’s disconcerting to see Daniel being the goofy one in the room.
    Also, is it just me, or does Claire’s accent subtly shift over the course of the interview? She has that identifiable Aussie twang at the beginning, but then when Meg asks her a the question about Rebekah, she suddenly sounds more like Rebekah when she answers.

Comment by wordsmith – July 20, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • agreed. marcel brings nothing to the table. spinoff sounds dumb but i love the trio.

Comment by lorna – July 20, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a little premature to say what Marcel will bring to the table since we only saw one episode.

Comment by Lena – July 21, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who didn’t think the hand holding was awkward? When I was in college my friends and I held hands with each other from time to time.
    Phoebe Tonkin’s dress is awesome.

Comment by Ari – July 20, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god! So THAT’S where I saw Claire Holt before!

Comment by carrionne – July 20, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claire Holt and Joseph Morgan were the ONLY reasons why I continued to watch TVD last season. Now that both actors will be on The Originals I can’t wait to watch and see where this series goes.

Comment by Jared – July 20, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to watching Elijah weekly !

Comment by Whatever – July 20, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really lost interest in TVD last season, I barely watched the last few episodes. I think I’ll watch both premieres and decide if I want to watch either of them. I love Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah – I didn’t really like Hayley but i love Phoebe Tonkin so I hope they improve her character in The Originals.

Comment by Lauren – July 21, 2013 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll probably DVR this show and catch up when I have the time. I love Joseph Morgan/Klaus, but I’m not really excited about this show anymore. So many logic fails, so many plot holes.

Comment by Lala – July 21, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Phoebe so damn thin? I can see her bones. What happened?

Comment by Pérola Cardozo – July 21, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, I was on the fence about this show, but these guys seem to be having so much fun with each other. I’m thinking the cast chemistry might make The Originals worth watching.

Comment by Alia – July 22, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think julie is dividing the fans between the shows besides vampire diaries may die without the original vampires but what the heck, let the shows go on lol

Comment by jacinta – August 28, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post