Comic-Con

Is The Originals '10 Times Sexier' Than Vampire Diaries? Plus: Co-Stars' 'Awkward' Hand-holding!

To hear Charles Michael Davis tell it, The Originals will be no less than “10 times sexier and cooler” than the CW drama that sired it, The Vampire Diaries.

That was just one of the titillating teases tendered by the spin-off’s cast as they spoke with Meg Masters in TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite.

RELATED | Fall TV Tuesday: NCIS Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. Vs. The Originals and Other DVR Dilemmas

Daniel Gillies, meanwhile, said the New Orleans-set offshoot will feature “more strategic warfare” and Mafia-like grabs for power, now that Elijah’s brother Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan) has returned home. “Elijah wants his kingdom. He wants his brother on the throne,” Gillies added.

VIDEO | Watch Trailers for The Originals, Reign and The CW’s Other New Series

Also in this video Q&A: Claire Holt notes that while Rebekah was “always” going to follow Klaus to New Orleans, there nonetheless will be “turmoil and friction ‘tween the half-sibs; Phoebe Tonkin, who plays Hayley, teases her first-ever Vampire-verse scene with H2O: Just Add Water co-star Holt; and there’s an instance of “awkward” hand-holding by two of our guests!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. Maki says:

I’m in love with the cast of this show. Can’t wait for it to start air.

2. rod says:

Oh Elijah, you handsome bastard, i would follow you in any show

3. Claudia says:

Everybody shut up! Daniel Gilles actually really hot! Wow.. That’s all. Go on.

4. a says:

Can’t stand Chest Peckwell/Marcel/whatever. Probably won’t be watching. There’s just something I don’t like about that guy.

• Mari says:

I don’t mind the actor–he’s quite attractive–but, I just can’t figure out what’s supposed to be menacing about him. The show is going to have to do some serious retconning to make him dangerous to the Mikaelsens; even if he can figure out how to kill Klaus and get the materials, according to current rules killing Klaus kills Marcel.

Even the pact with the witches he’s got going logically could only go so far, because from what I recall Marcel is basically scaring them into doing what he says. If Marcel tells them to attack/freeze/whatever Klaus, all they have to do is defect and have Klaus kill Marcel for betraying him.

• Lala says:

This is one of the reasons I think this show will have an uphill battle on their hands. Marcel isn’t scary, at all. Are we to believe that Klaus can’t take this guy down? And Marcel can never really hurt Klaus either. If he kills Klaus, he kills himself. That fact alone takes a lot of tension out of their “rivalry”. I kept hearing that staying in Mystic Falls would hurt Klaus’ character. Honestly, I think more damage is being done in The Originals.

• Lena says:

It’s not about Klaus hurting Marcel. Klaus’ history with gaining power is a bunch of dead hybrids. He wants the “real” loyalty that Marcel has. Did anyone notice in the pilot that the same vampire Klaus threatened earlier in the episode was ready to protect Marcel at the end? The vampires would die for their King (Marcel). Klaus has never had that type of loyalty before and he will never obtain it by just killing his protégé.

• Lala says:

Honestly no I didn’t notice that it was the same vampire. After the baby bomb dropped I mentally checked out for a few hours, lol.

• Mari says:

So, basically, Klaus has to move to New Orleans to learn how to make friends and influence people?

Sorry. Still not quite tracking for me.

And if the tension is supposed to come from the rivalry between Marcel and Klaus, there needs to be some sort of power equality. There just isn’t at this point.

5. wordsmith says:

Elijah is so unrelentingly serious on TVD that it’s disconcerting to see Daniel being the goofy one in the room.
    Also, is it just me, or does Claire’s accent subtly shift over the course of the interview? She has that identifiable Aussie twang at the beginning, but then when Meg asks her a the question about Rebekah, she suddenly sounds more like Rebekah when she answers.

6. lorna says:

agreed. marcel brings nothing to the table. spinoff sounds dumb but i love the trio.

7. Ari says:

Am I the only one who didn’t think the hand holding was awkward? When I was in college my friends and I held hands with each other from time to time.
    Phoebe Tonkin’s dress is awesome.

8. carrionne says:

Oh my god! So THAT’S where I saw Claire Holt before!

9. Jared says:

Claire Holt and Joseph Morgan were the ONLY reasons why I continued to watch TVD last season. Now that both actors will be on The Originals I can’t wait to watch and see where this series goes.

10. Whatever says:

I’m really looking forward to watching Elijah weekly !

11. Lauren says:

I really lost interest in TVD last season, I barely watched the last few episodes. I think I’ll watch both premieres and decide if I want to watch either of them. I love Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah – I didn’t really like Hayley but i love Phoebe Tonkin so I hope they improve her character in The Originals.

12. Lala says:

I’ll probably DVR this show and catch up when I have the time. I love Joseph Morgan/Klaus, but I’m not really excited about this show anymore. So many logic fails, so many plot holes.

13. Pérola Cardozo says:

Why is Phoebe so damn thin? I can see her bones. What happened?

14. Alia says:

You know, I was on the fence about this show, but these guys seem to be having so much fun with each other. I’m thinking the cast chemistry might make The Originals worth watching.

15. jacinta says:

i think julie is dividing the fans between the shows besides vampire diaries may die without the original vampires but what the heck, let the shows go on lol