Comic-Con

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spill Intel on Each Other: Who Does 'Dead' Coulson Identify With?

Perhaps no TV panel was more anticipated at this summer’s San Diego Comic-Con than ABC’s session for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which will in a way bring The Avengers‘ big-screen adventure to your living room.

That said, “Nothing can prepare you” for arriving at the ‘Con with pre-assigned royalty status, says castmember Elizabeth Henstridge (who plays Agent Jemma Simmons).

RELATED | HIMYM‘s Cobie Smulders Joins S.H.I.E.L.D. — Plus: Scoop From the Pilot!

Assembled in TVLine’s Comic-Con suite to speak with Meg Masters, (from l. to r.) Henstridge, Iain De Caestecker, ER alum Ming-Na Wen, Clark Gregg, Nashville‘s Chloe Bennet and Brett Dalton shared their excitement over screening the pilot episode at their panel (and tease an even “bigger, wilder” Episode 2), then took turns exposing one another’s… dossiers.

Which agent is a “certified ninja”? Who is “crazy-amazing at espionage” (and has “killer cheekbones”)? Who’s been “desocialized” by their S.H.I.E.L.D. gig? And which team member does Agent Coulson most identify with, having, you know, died and all?

Press PLAY to get the 411 on this fantastic sextet.

1. wordsmith says:

Considering they haven’t even started episode 2 yet, the cast seems to have already gelled pretty well as a group, which I take as an encouraging sign.

• Eli says:

Isn’t that always the case with Joss Whedon? I think he pays more attention to this than most when he’s casting his shows.

• mia says:

ya, I think your right. Joss really does focus heavily on casting choices and then making sure his cast gets to know each other. He always seems to make strong friendships on his sets.

2. Andy says:

I am so happy that Marvel found Clark Gregg. He is great and has been a huge asset to the Marvel Universe, in both the individual movies and to connecting them together.

• wordsmith says:

Totally agree. Good for him, great for us. Also, he’s clearly pretty amazing in interviews. I particularly liked his impressive off-the-cuff spiel on Melinda May (and how his dramatic delivery seemed to make every female in the room swoon a little when he finished)

• Alan says:

for me he has been the real star of the movies. sure everyone loves downey as stark but no one expected this random shield agent to become such an amazing character and that is all down to clark gregg. its great to see him get some recognition after many years being a great character actor, being the guy who is in everything but you never learn his name.

3. Tori says:

You are right Wordsmith, they seem to have strong chemistry. I hope the show will at some point be able to use superpowered characters from the Marvel universe. As great as the cast, the target audience will want to see characters they know from the Marvel titles.

• Len says:

Which is why I am going to be shocked if it makes it through season 1. I’m just not sure who they think they are going to attract. The fan boys and girls only want the recognizable superheroes that they got in the Avengers. The general public has hard enough time knowing who the marvel heroes are, so a bunch of unknown characters is even worse for them.

I predict a total disaster ratings wise. The avengers name will get them 12million for the first episode. Droves will leave in the next two episodes leaving under 5 million by epsiode 4.

Won’t matter how good the show is, or how well the characters gel. People are expecting the avengers, they ain’t getting that. They’ll leave in droves.

• wordsmith says:

That’s an interesting theory. I’d bet money that you’re wrong, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see…

• canadian ninja says:

Like 99% of shows have dropoff after the first sampling so the prediction is only a wee bit riskier than saying the sun is coming back in the morning.

Nowadays it seems like for a show to be successful it has to either hold on to a large enough audience post-dropoff or become the buzzy show people have to watch to join in all the chatter about it halfway through a season.

I’d be curious to know what the ratings need to be for ABC to be happy. But I think there is enough investment in the show that it could underperform and still get a second season.

• AJ says:

“People are expecting the avengers” How is this true when this show is called agents of Shield? Anyway, I’m thinking you’re wrong with your rating predictions but we’ll see when this airs.

• Alan says:

yeah because there isnt a massive amount of lesser known characters that they can use who have been in comics for 50 years now; not every character is deserving of a movie but many many characters would work perfectly dropping in and out of this series. there are so many so-called “street level” characters in the marvel universe who would be perfect for this show that they will have no problem bringing characters all the time. people arent expecting the avengers on tv because its called shield, give people some credit that they can figure out the difference in what they are going to be seeing.

• Len says:

That’s my point though, the public doesn’t know those b level characters, nor cares about them. It’s hard enough to get them to care about the a level characters.

4. Joey says:

Great interview. I can’t wait to see the cast working together on the show.

5. sladewilson says:

Comic fans already know that SHIELD is the Spies are Us division of the Marvel Universe, so no – fan boys and girls are not expecting the Avengers. We know the difference. What will be interesting is if any of the known Shield agents from the comics (Jasper Sitwell, Dum Dum Dugan, Contessa, etc) show up…

6. izzybella says:

Actually, I think the newness of the characters will work for audiences who aren’t acquainted with the comics or movies. That’s the beauty of it-you have Agent Coulson for the Avengers movie tie-in, but the lack of back-story on the rest of them means audiences don’t necessarily have to have been a fan of the comics. I think fans of Joss Whedon will tune in regardless because of his ability to put together a great cast and tell a compelling story.

7. Alia says:

I would willingly watch these people try to order burritos while trapped in an elevator.

8. A fan says:

Well, I see someone already beat me to this, but I’ll say it anyway. I’m a movies-only comic fangirl, so I know nothing about this group (except Coulson of course), but I go into watching the show confident it will be very well done and enjoyable, as I am also a Joss Whedon fangirl. He can do an ensemble cast like no other.

Although I am still holding out hope that they will add Cobie’s character back in next season. (once she is done with HIMYM).

9. Hello! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after going through a few of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly delighted I found it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!|

10. spotteddog says:

I am old enough to remember when the “Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D” comic book first came out. I didn’t think I would like it because it wasn’t about superheroes. But I bought one, I liked it, and the comic made its way onto my monthly “buy” list.

I am expecting the same from the TV show.

11. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seeem to grasp a lot about this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few p.c. to power the message
    house a little bit, but other than that, that is wonderful blog.
    An excellent read. I’ll certainly bbe back.