Comic-Con

Bones Exclusive: David Boreanaz Promises a Radically Different Booth in Season 9, Teases a Blast from the Past 'That May Hurt Him'

Get More: Comic-Con, Exclusive, Video

David Boreanaz was pressed for time when he dropped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite on Friday morning, so we dispensed with the pleasantries and cut right to the scoop on Bones Season 9.

RELATED | It’s Official: Booth and Brennan are Getting Married!

Among the provocative pieces of intel the actor unloaded during our rapid-fire, lightning-fast Q&A: The new season (premiering Monday, Sept. 16) will introduce a “surprising” new Booth to viewers (“Some people are going to like it, some people won’t,” he says); and someone from Booth’s past, whom we have never met before, will resurface and “somewhat help him, and may hurt him.”

RELATED | Comic-Con 2013 — Keeps Tabs on All of TVLine’s Coverage, Spoilers and Video Q&As

Boreanaz also weighs in on the show’s future beyond Season 9, and its new (though not necessarily guaranteed..?) Friday time slot come November.

Comments (31)

• Can someone please let him know that 360 is a circle, meaning he’ll end up in the same place he began?

Comment by Lisa – July 19, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Comment by English – July 19, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the exact same thing when I saw the tweet. Ha ha ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – July 19, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I hear that on a regular basis and in my head, I’m thinking 180, it’s 180 degrees!!! I’m not that great at geometry but I know that 360 degrees gets you back to where you started.

Comment by lemonaioli – July 19, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha my first thought, but DB doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed

Comment by HG – July 19, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He always seemed like a tool to me.

Comment by Zach – July 19, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he meant it will make a full circle, going in a different direction and then coming back to where it started.

Comment by Lynn K – July 20, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s going to be “Buffy, The Vampire Slayer.”

Comment by Jim Murray – July 20, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 360? So shes going to be the same. Lol

Comment by dean – July 19, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking he was going to make a complete circle from the beginning of the season to the end. Run the whole gamut and end up back to B&B and engagement. Not sure whether to be excited or afraid of this info.

Comment by caprigirl60 – July 19, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @caprigirl

That’s quite possible, but it sounded like he meant 180. That’s just me though.

Comment by Sarah – July 19, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did u saw that he actualy wears same funny Booth socks? LOL

Comment by ilona @ilonarcari – July 19, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will forego a 360 “joke” and actually comment on — you know — the interview. It sounds like a very exciting season, that maybe the Pelant mess won’t be as awful as we feared. Hoping for an Emily video too!

Comment by Lauren – July 19, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could somebody ask David why, with all the bizarre phenomena the Squints have tackled through the years, they’ve yet to come across any vampires? Just kidding.

Comment by Luis – July 19, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that was very underwhelming. He seemed to really not want to be there. Definitely not his usual goofy, fun self.

Comment by Megan – July 19, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he never said degrees just 360 but either way Booths Character is going to change that is what he is getting at so calling him stupid is not cool at all. Season 9 will be exciting and hopefully there will be a season 10

Comment by ☠ Bonnie Rexeus ☠ (@bonrex) – July 19, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just chalk it up to fatigue, when your tired people tend to get a little loopy and incorrectly say something. I know I do that all the time and I don’t have the schedule I’m guessing he has.

Comment by Miranda – July 19, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you! There are some pretty nasty people posting on here!

Comment by suzyku – July 23, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show should have ended at season 8.

Comment by cb – July 19, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then go watch something else…it’s not rocket science

Comment by Kwapple – July 20, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hey cb, go away and watch more reality shows if that suits you better! you aren’t forced to watch Bones! guess you just enjoy making nasty comments!

Comment by suzyku – July 23, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give David a break. He is great at what he does as well as ED is at whAt she does. It is a great show and we will see what happens next. Good stuff.

Comment by Byron – July 20, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I L*O*V*E David! Have since he was a non-practicing vampire! Love Booth & Brennen! Love BONES! Hate movin the day & the mariage thingy those always seems to be a shows downfall! Hope “new role” person doesn’t change Booth too much! Hope show never ends, as long as they keep it fresh, great, & interesting will watch it til the end. When that time gets here I hope the stories of each one ends & ties a bow & as the show ends everything is tied up & wrapped like a present!

Comment by Lynn F. Hileman – July 20, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When David negotiated his contract for this season one of the conditions for him to stay on the show was for his character to change and be more action oriented. Maybe they are going to honor his contract and allow him to make his role more exciting. The last few seasons this show except for the B&B relationship has been tending towards how he can’t solve any crimes unless the squints help him. He’s just become the muscle, they even had Sweets take over most of the interrogations. Maybe he has to step away from his FBI career and take assignments from other govt agencies where maybe he has some friends from his past. HH let slip that one of the people from Booth’s past is CIA. The other appears to be a priest he knows from when he was younger. Maybe someone from when he was growing up or recovering from his experiences in the military. You guys want to make fun of DB but how many of you are starring in a tv show and have directed said shows yourselves.

Comment by julianne – July 20, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well said julianne! I love DB and Bones, too!

Comment by suzyku – July 23, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love David, his character, and the show. I know he was pressed for time, but sheesh he sounded a little too crabby and hostel.

Comment by Jenn – July 22, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love BOOTH and that whole show I think everyone had some it up for me ….Big Hugs !!!!

Comment by prettypinkie – July 23, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness for my dvr so I never have to miss an episode! So glad summer is almost over and can get back to my favorite show! I think I’ve seen at least one movie that each of the cast is in this summer and it’s made me even more excited to see seasom 9 begin!

Comment by Michelle Lovellette – July 23, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show & the B&B rel;ationship. Also all the other characters are great in their roles. Angie, Sweets, all of them. Don’t need any major changes, please.

Comment by Jeri – July 24, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did i miss an epsode after bones went to booth’s bed, the next thing i saw was bones telling booth he was going to be a dad. what happened inbeween, surely she had to go to the dr. or talk it over with anglea. i wonder if david’s wife ever gets jelous?

Comment by Diana Bacon – July 29, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post