Comic-Con

Bones Exclusive: David Boreanaz Promises a Radically Different Booth in Season 9, Teases a Blast from the Past 'That May Hurt Him'

David Boreanaz was pressed for time when he dropped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite on Friday morning, so we dispensed with the pleasantries and cut right to the scoop on Bones Season 9.

RELATED | It’s Official: Booth and Brennan are Getting Married!

Among the provocative pieces of intel the actor unloaded during our rapid-fire, lightning-fast Q&A: The new season (premiering Monday, Sept. 16) will introduce a “surprising” new Booth to viewers (“Some people are going to like it, some people won’t,” he says); and someone from Booth’s past, whom we have never met before, will resurface and “somewhat help him, and may hurt him.”

RELATED | Comic-Con 2013 — Keeps Tabs on All of TVLine’s Coverage, Spoilers and Video Q&As

Boreanaz also weighs in on the show’s future beyond Season 9, and its new (though not necessarily guaranteed..?) Friday time slot come November.

1. Lisa says:

Can someone please let him know that 360 is a circle, meaning he’ll end up in the same place he began?

2. dean says:

360? So shes going to be the same. Lol

• caprigirl60 says:

I was just thinking he was going to make a complete circle from the beginning of the season to the end. Run the whole gamut and end up back to B&B and engagement. Not sure whether to be excited or afraid of this info.

3. ilona @ilonarcari says:

did u saw that he actualy wears same funny Booth socks? LOL

4. Lauren says:

I will forego a 360 “joke” and actually comment on — you know — the interview. It sounds like a very exciting season, that maybe the Pelant mess won’t be as awful as we feared. Hoping for an Emily video too!

5. Luis says:

Could somebody ask David why, with all the bizarre phenomena the Squints have tackled through the years, they’ve yet to come across any vampires? Just kidding.

6. Megan says:

Wow, that was very underwhelming. He seemed to really not want to be there. Definitely not his usual goofy, fun self.

7. he never said degrees just 360 but either way Booths Character is going to change that is what he is getting at so calling him stupid is not cool at all. Season 9 will be exciting and hopefully there will be a season 10

• Miranda says:

I just chalk it up to fatigue, when your tired people tend to get a little loopy and incorrectly say something. I know I do that all the time and I don’t have the schedule I’m guessing he has.

• suzyku says:

I agree with you! There are some pretty nasty people posting on here!

8. cb says:

This show should have ended at season 8.

9. Byron says:

Give David a break. He is great at what he does as well as ED is at whAt she does. It is a great show and we will see what happens next. Good stuff.

10. Lynn F. Hileman says:

I L*O*V*E David! Have since he was a non-practicing vampire! Love Booth & Brennen! Love BONES! Hate movin the day & the mariage thingy those always seems to be a shows downfall! Hope “new role” person doesn’t change Booth too much! Hope show never ends, as long as they keep it fresh, great, & interesting will watch it til the end. When that time gets here I hope the stories of each one ends & ties a bow & as the show ends everything is tied up & wrapped like a present!

11. julianne says:

When David negotiated his contract for this season one of the conditions for him to stay on the show was for his character to change and be more action oriented. Maybe they are going to honor his contract and allow him to make his role more exciting. The last few seasons this show except for the B&B relationship has been tending towards how he can’t solve any crimes unless the squints help him. He’s just become the muscle, they even had Sweets take over most of the interrogations. Maybe he has to step away from his FBI career and take assignments from other govt agencies where maybe he has some friends from his past. HH let slip that one of the people from Booth’s past is CIA. The other appears to be a priest he knows from when he was younger. Maybe someone from when he was growing up or recovering from his experiences in the military. You guys want to make fun of DB but how many of you are starring in a tv show and have directed said shows yourselves.

• suzyku says:

well said julianne! I love DB and Bones, too!

• Pat G says:

I think DB does a great job and the show would not be the same without him and ED. The interaction between the couple is what makes the show. I just wish they would put a little more spice in the season 9 episodes. They are back to living like brother and sister.

12. Jenn says:

Love David, his character, and the show. I know he was pressed for time, but sheesh he sounded a little too crabby and hostel.

13. prettypinkie says:

I love BOOTH and that whole show I think everyone had some it up for me ….Big Hugs !!!!

14. Michelle Lovellette says:

Thank goodness for my dvr so I never have to miss an episode! So glad summer is almost over and can get back to my favorite show! I think I’ve seen at least one movie that each of the cast is in this summer and it’s made me even more excited to see seasom 9 begin!

15. Jeri says:

Love the show & the B&B rel;ationship. Also all the other characters are great in their roles. Angie, Sweets, all of them. Don’t need any major changes, please.

16. Diana Bacon says:

did i miss an epsode after bones went to booth’s bed, the next thing i saw was bones telling booth he was going to be a dad. what happened inbeween, surely she had to go to the dr. or talk it over with anglea. i wonder if david’s wife ever gets jelous?