Comic-Con

Arrow Duo Preview Finale's 'Emotional' Fallout, Clear Up 'New Black Canary' Confusion

Even though five months will have passed since Malcolm Merlyn’s Undertaking rocked Arrow‘s world and took Tommy’s life, the characters on The CW’s hit drama will be in “an emotional and literally different place” when Season 2 opens Wednesday, Oct. 9.

RELATED | Arrow Targets Summer Glau for Recurring Role as Oliver Queen Adversary

Visiting with Michael Ausiello in TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite, Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards also teased an “amped up” Arrowcave and previewed Whedonverse vet Summer Glau’s “designs on the Queen empire.”

RELATED | ‘Broken’ Arrow in Season 2? Which Finale Scene Was Deleted for Being Too Revealing?

The pair also cleared up a quite confusing casting story making rounds, that actress Caity Lotz (of The Pact) has joined the cast as Dinah Drake, and that she — and not Laurel — will become the Black Canary. You can get the bona fide 411 on that at the 2:30 mark.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. Woot! Thank you for sharing. I love them!

2. Even off set I can feel the chemistry.

• Really says:

I was thinking the opposite! No chemistry at all. In fact, kinda awkward. I love Olicity though!

• Rachel says:

I’m with Really. no chemistry…they’re awkward together.

• dude says:

Yep felt the same way. Didn’t feel it nearly as much as the chemistry between him and Katie off-screen and I don’t even like Laurel/Oliver.

• brb123 says:

There’s 10 years difference between them, and plus he’s married and about to have a child while she’s single. She usually hangs out with Willa and Colton, that are closer to her age, but not with Stephen.

• I think they’re just very considerate of each other, and allow each other to talk and expand on ideas, whereas I’ve seen other casts just talking over each other. Which can be a sign of familiarity, but Stephen especially seems like a very thoughtful person and if Emily knows him well she would pick up on that and adjust her behavior. And vice versa for him as well.

• K says:

Emily Bett has chemistry with herself lol, that is all I can take from this video.

Emily has more chemistry with her other male costars: Colton, David & Colin than she does with Stephen also. This “olicity” thing has never been anything but a lie, good to see things like this making it more clearer.

• mia says:

same. Love Olicity, but off screen very little chemistry; but I guess whats important is that on screen they do so they must be pretty good actors.
        I’m comparing it to the chemistry you see between Kristen Kruek and Jay Ryan from the BATB panel

3. DrewK says:

It seemed like she wasn’t quite sure what she could and could not reveal, so she was kinda playing off of Stephen in that department.

As for chemistry… yes, they have a certain chemistry on screen. But I do not think that it should be made into a romantic thing. Like with Mulder and Scully, it would probably just kill the on screen relationship.

• kath says:

It felt like this is her first really big interview for the show and she didn’t know what she could say and was reluctant to put herself forward, as opposed to Stephen Amell who could probably do interviews in his sleep by now.

I think they have a lot of chemistry on screen as long as the writers continue to write them well (Felicity awkward and a bit over-whelmed by Oliver while at the same time being someone who doesn’t drink his and Diggle’s brand of kool-aid and supportively calls Oliver on his stuff). Far more chemistry than Oliver has had with Laurel or even McKenzie. I wouldn’t mind something between them in two or three seasons.

• kirk says:

mulder and and scully couldn’t have an off screen relationship because gillian anderson is gay

4. Sam says:

I think the best thing for Arrow would be to cross the paces of The Vampire Diaries and Smallville. Now, I like TVD a lot, but it moves through plot a little too quick. Smallville felt like it moved 4 inches for the first 5 or so seasons. They need to keep the plot developments coming, but be careful not to run out of story.

All this is to say I hope we don’t see a fully fleshed out Black Canary or Speedy in the first half of this season, but I also hope it doesn’t take 3 or 4 to get there.

• AnnieM says:

This! :-) I don’t think Smallville really figured out what it wanted to be until season 5 or so. Glad they got the chance and were given 10 years. Arrow seems to be finding it’s footing much faster.

5. Maki says:

I love these 2! really sweet! Emily is so shy! And she really didn’t know what she could say! Can’t wait for S2!!!

6. quoiie says:

They’re adorable.Great interview, look like Emily was a little bit shy haha. Anyway, excited for the new season & their storylines, individual but also as a possible romance ( can’t help but ship them together) & I hope we get to see that.

7. Ash says:

Thanks for the interview :) I love them both :D

8. arrowfan says:

Thanks for the video LOVE these two.

9. Lou says:

Nice little interview. Why are people talking about chemistry in the above comments? Their characters have great chemistry on he show and they both seem like lovely, normal people acting appropriately in the interview. Did people expect them to be petting each other in real life?

• blake says:

No one expect them to be patting each other, just a natural chemistry between colleagues is needed. Anyway I do not think they don’t have chemistry, there is a nice little chemistry there between them. I just think their chemistry is overrated, precisely that between their characters. Its more of an, attractive people should be touching genitals kind of thing than it is about real chemistry. Let’s face it they are the hottest two people in the show, and people would rather have them together than be with less prettier people, even when they got better romance chemistry with them.

10. joey says:

good interview, I can’t wait for season 2 in October.

11. Kristina says:

Fun interview! Looking forward to the new season. Hoping we continue to see more of Felicity this season; no offense to Katie Cassidy but I much prefer Felicity to Laurel.

12. andrea says:

I think emily still not used to this kinda interview, she still little bit awkward, but love her! next year she will be a pro. olicity ftw

13. DL says:

Just watched the interview and saw that Stephen Amell says as much. Not sure why the information in the article’s text doesn’t jibe with the facts in the video.