Jane Lynch Remembers Cory Monteith: 'I Don't Think He Left One Day Unlived' -- Watch Video

Appearing on Wednesday’s The Tonight Show, Jane Lynch paid tribute to Glee costar Cory Monteith, who tragically was found dead on July 13, felled by a toxic mix of heroin and alcohol.

RELATED | Cory Monteith Remembered By Glee Co-Stars Dianna Agron, Naya Rivera

“Cory had one of the biggest hearts, was a real bright light,” Lynch said, her voice filled with emotion and repeatedly breaking throughout the remembrance. As a star of the buzzy Fox comedy, “He knew he was breathing rarefied air,” she said, “always aware that it was a gift.”

Lynch also expressed an admiration for the 31-year-old Monteith’s “adventurous” spirit, saying, “I don’t think he left one day unlived. We lost a really great guy.”

RELATED | Cory Monteith Autopsy Results Released

Asked by Tonight Show host Jay Leno how Monteith should be remembered, Lynch shared an anecdote about how the young actor once “flew across the country on his own nickel to meet with a sick kid, whose last wish was to meet him. That’s the kind of guy he was… a real giver.”

RELATED | Cory Monteith’s 10 Best Glee Moments

Watch Lynch’s segment here:

1. The Truth says:

Jesus, you people act like this junkie was a freaking hero or something. “He didn’t leave one day un-lived”? More like he didn’t leave one bag of heroine un-injected.

• Taryn says:

Screw you. show some respect. At least he was trying to quit,

• Taryn says:

show some respect. at least he tried to quit, you moron.

• rawley says:

F*ck you to death you disgusting troll. And learn the difference between “heroine” and “heroin” you f*cking waste of life.

• Mark says:

You shouldn’t put heroines in bags, it’s hard for them to breathe in there.

• TvFanGirlObsessed says:

ha!

• Scarlett says:

Hehe

• Angela says:

Ha.
        There’s always got to be one jerk on these sorts of stories, doesn’t there? Nobody said he was a “hero”, all they’re saying is that it’s tragic that someone so young got caught up in a nasty habit and wound up paying the ultimate price for it. Doing drugs doesn’t automatically mean you are a bad person, either. If someone has done many good things in their life, been a generally kind person to all those they know and came in contact with, I don’t see why any of that should be forgotten or not mentioned just because they struggled with some personal demons.
        Not to mention, people always say kind things about those they knew and were friends with after they pass, no matter how the person they knew died.

• anon says:

The Truth – The fact that you actually thought that the above comment was worth typing speaks to your own character.

Also, it is the height of hubris to assume that because you know one aspect of a man’s character, that you know him better than someone who actually interacted with the man on a daily basis.

As for anything else regarding his character, that is for his friends and family…and you know, people who had actual contact with him to say. If you can’t find it in yourself from conducting yourself with class, at least try not to embarrass yourself. Not only are you being disrespectful to one who has passed away, but spouting off that Jane Lynch is wrong when I am quite sure you never had real contact with the actor just makes you look ignorant and idiotic.

• L T says:

What, because his death was a stupid waste, that makes it less tragic? Or him less of a person? How about this: you show me some evidence that he went online for no other purpose than trashing a dead person who can’t even respond, and maybe then I’ll entertain your idea that he was worthless.

• Scarlett says:

That’s very disrespectful. Why in the world would you feel the need to say something like that? If you think that, ok whatever. But to actually take the effort to write it down for everyone to read is just unbelievable. Have you ever thought a loved one of him could read that? How would you feel? This action of yours tells something about you and it’s not so positive. Good luck in life.

• Ewa says:

Oh, c’mon people, he DID die of heroin overdose! I’m not saying we should diss him and not show some tact to the people he left behind, but the way he is being glorified everywhere at the moment is somehow not sitting right with me either:/ he’s hardly a good example for anyone…

• Brooke says:

People tend to say nice things about someone after they had died. When we miss someone and know we’ll never see them again, we grieve by remembering all of the good times we had with them and remembering all of their good qualities. Why is that glorifying him? That’s just human nature and is for the ones left behind as much as it is for the deceased. No one’s pretending he wasn’t an addict with a long history of struggling with it. Everyone’s painfully aware of that fact, you can be sure of it. But if people who knew him (and any other deceased person) cope by remembering their favorite parts of him and celebrating the good in his life, why does anyone want to take that away from them?

• Katie says:

So he’s not a good example because he had a drug problem that ultimately led to his death? A person’s life isn’t summed up by just one part of it. You can’t just ignore all the good that he did just because he had one problem. Yes it was a bad problem but it doesn’t negate all the good he did in his life and the fact everyone around him or that met him doesn’t have one bad thing to say about him

• Ewa says:

Actually the fact that they don’t have one bad thing to say is kinda what disturbs me… He was not a recreational marijuana smoker, he had a serious drug problem, and people acting like it’s just a small detail and praising how he lived his life to a full – it’s like, as long as you’re a cool person it’s fine to be an addict… they’re not saying that directly, but this is what the message is shaping up to be:/ Is that what you call a good example, especially for kids?

I’m not saying he was a bad person and should be condemned, but maybe not glorified like that either?

• Katie says:

That’s not what the message is shaping up to be at all. What do you want them to say if it didn’t affect the way he was with them, the way he helped other people or the way he worked? They aren’t going to start saying bad things about him if they never experienced anything bad with him. And they aren’t going to turn every time they talk about him into an anti drugs message?
            And which kids are going to be influenced by him? The ones that are a fan of Glee or were a fan of Cory will have got anti drugs message from his struggle and his openess about what he did as a kid and the fact that he did. And the kids that haven’t been a fan of either Glee or him will quite frankly not take any notice of any anti drugs message because to they either don’t know of him or he’s just ‘that kid off Glee’.

• Sam says:

oh i’m sorry…cory monteith was a person who did nice things for other people such fufilling a dying kid’s wishes on his own dime while you’re sitting behind a computer complaining that he’s not a good example? what are his co-workers and friends supposed to say?

the good example here is despite his mistakes which he definitely admitted to through his life, it didn’t mean he couldn’t try and make up for it by being a better person and friend to those around him. if he wasn’t a good friend do you think jane lynch would have sitting on that couch sounding like she wanted to cry?

people are so ridiculous.

• Trista says:

Truth – not that is ironic. I don’t think you would know the truth if it bit you in the butt. Regardless of your feelings about someone or how they lived their lives this person had people who loved him and are now grieving his loss.

• DL says:

Addiction isn’t a switch you can just turn off. The urges can be overpowering, dominating the mind until they’re satisfied. The personal struggle he experienced, the amount of self-hate and beating oneself up, is far greater, I’m certain, than any insult you can level at him.
      Take a moment to understand his background, the difficulties he went through growing up. This was a man fighting both his genetics and habits ingrained since childhood, so that he could maintain a healthy life.
      I can’t imagine the guilt he must have been feeling at having relapsed. I hope that he’s at peace now. God love you, Cory. You brought joy to so many, and deserve some joy in return, wherever you are.

• Fan says:

Here’s the “The Truth” you douchebag. You coming onto articles and disrespecting someone with your stupid statements. So please get off your pedestal and stop.

• Cory says:

Shut up you Moron. He was sick. Had a disease.

• Ruby says:

Go straight to hell. Seriously. Please do.

• Cathy Cooke says:

Clearly, you know nothing about addiction …

• Get your facts straight says:

What is wrong with you show some respect and quit being so heartless!

• Roxanne says:

To the committed truth you are a cold hearted indents active Jerk hat a sad excuse for a human being ‘

2. Esaul says:

I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for the cast of Glee or Cory’s family. :(

3. Ann says:

She is so cleary heartbroken. Multiply that by so many cast & crew. The take that number and multiply by infinity to get to how Lea M. has been shattered.
    Talk of delayed premiere only makes sense. These people are wounded.
    And Glee will never be Glee again. at least for original audience. I will miss it.

4. Sarah says:

People need to stop making it about a relationship, we should be remembering Cory that amazing awkward Canadian not ‘lea Michele’s boyfriend’. Ffs.

• Drew says:

It is pretty standard to feel for those who lived someone. God willing, Cory himself is at peace and is no longer struggling with his demons. We can’t claim to know for sure, but he isn’t here and there isn’t anything we can do for him.

On the other hand, the people that he left behind are hurting and expressing concern or sympathy toward someone in pain is only human.

Mourning is as much about those remaining as it is those who are lost, if not more. It isn’t wrong or petty.

5. Joe says:

Some old demons must’ve came back that’s why he was using again it doesn’t make him a bad guy not all addicts and alcoholics are evil

6. a says:

I know Cory was loved and I don’t want to be flamed on like the above commenter because I don’t share his harsh opinions, but come on. When you’re on drugs you’re not living. Reality is so distorted and they’re a terrible thing. I know he had been struggling for quite some time and obviously I don’t know him personally, but I know from my awful experience of living with a drug user that there’s no way that Lynch’s statement could be correct.

• Katie says:

I think it all depends really. In Jane’s eyes all she probably saw was Cory living his life to the full and doing things like visiting that sick girl so it would be true in her eyes. I mean I remember after Cory checked into rehab Matthew Morrison said he didn’t have any idea of his addiction until that moment. So presuming that most, if not all the cast, were in the same boat,all they would have seen was Cory living a normal life. So on the outside it was a different picture to what would have been going on in Cory’s head. It’s exactly why the cast are only talking about the good things Cory did. It’s all they can talk about when the didn’t see any of the bad things he was going through

• anon says:

Since the same applies, I am just copying some of my response:

“As viewers of entertainment, we can be sad that such a talented and promising entertainer has been cut short in the prime of his career. As decent human beings, we can and SHOULD be said that a young man with everything ahead of him was cut short in the prime of his life.

As for anything else regarding his character, that is for his friends and family…and you know, people who had actual contact with him to say. Not only are you being disrespectful to one who has passed away, but spouting off that Jane Lynch is wrong when I am quite sure you never had real contact with the actor just makes you look ignorant and idiotic.”

Your perception of living with an ENTIRELY different person with a drug problem does not qualify you to denounce Jane Lynch’s statement. Hers is based on an actual relationship and actual interaction with the person involved….yours is not. Having one experience does not inform you on everyone single person on this planet who has a drug problem. Sadly, my own father was a drug user…but that doesn’t make me an expert on Cory Montieth.

We do know the actor had a serious drug problem…we do know he died from it. Those are facts. But other than that, we viewers do not get to claim real knowledge of any public figure’s life since we are not part of it..and it is just ridiculous to claim better knowledge than people who ACTUALLY knew him. And besides all that, being a drug user does not encompass ALL the things that the deceased was. Being a drug user was ONE aspect of who this person was, and Jane Lynch wasn’t even commenting on that one aspect.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter, since I am sure Jane Lynch nor the actor’s loved ones isn’t reading this commentary anyways…

But this whole business is sad…why make it sadder by denouncing the positive things that the people who was IN his life have to say? Where is the sense in that?

• Ruby says:

Because clearly your experience is the ONLY experience. Just stop. Nobody needs your two cents. People are grieving, and having to deal with negative nellies just makes it worse.

• Stan says:

I don’t think a’s post was particularly disrespectful and I get their point. I also get that no one who didn’t know Cory personally really knows about him for sure and we shouldn’t be speculating.I DONT think you are any better for slamming their comment just because it is different.

• Anon says:

No one was slamming the comment for being “different”. Rather, it was criticized for being based on an entirely false premise and disrespectful to the the deceased and the people who were actually in his life.

7. Ruby says:

I am still…it’s like I lost someone in my family. Which is ridiculous, since I never met him, but you know, I watch that show every week, I still love it, I was never a hater of either the show or of Finn. I thought Cory seemed like the sweetest person and there was something about him that made you love him even not having met him. This is by far, the worst celebrity death I’ve ever experienced…I loved Heath Ledger too, but there was something so accessible about Cory that makes his death hurt so much more. Plus the shocking nature of it…even though he spoke about his drug use, he still had a way of hiding it so you didn’t really see it on him…he looked healthy, and by all accounts he was really professional, never rude to anyone, etc. So it was easy to believe that it wasn’t as bad as it apparently was. The fact that he really did try to get help and it failed is so sad as well. My heart is just completely broken. I don’t know if I’ll ever get over it.

• Ms.Nobody says:

Ikr,there really was something about him,that was so..special.And I didn’t even know he did drugs til’ he passed away.He seemed like a wonderful guy,and the last thing I was expecting was his death.I still refuse to believe his dead,it just seems way too weird for me.

8. faith hayes says:

this guy was a person please respect him, some peolpe miss him. i am trying to find out what really happend.

9. Billy bob phill says:

Watch out for dust, it could be Cory’s ashes.

10. Jamie says:

Some people on here disgust me. He was all about drugs and drinking every second of his life! He tried to stop but sometimes it over powers you and sadly that’s what happened to him. He definetely was a hero to many people not for what he drank or inhaled or sm

11. Jamie says:

*smoked, but what he did for others and the love and smiles he brought to others by his own.

He was tall, awkward, canadian, actor, drummer, person. Rest In Peace Cory. We all miss you<3