Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: The 44 Biggest Snubs

You can’t always get what you want — especially when it comes to Emmy nominations. And so while today’s announcement of the 2013 contenders included a number of fresh faces and nifty surprises (huzzah for Anna Chlumsky!), we still found ourselves yelling The S Word — “Snubs!” of course — at the questionable judgment of those at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations: The Complete List

Check out our list of this year’s 44 most egregious omissions from the race — damn, some of ‘em really sting, don’t they? — then hit the comments with the snubs that left you ready to storm Emmy HQ with brickbats and torches.

RELATED | Michael Ausiello Weighs in on the Good, Bad and Ugly of the 2013 Nominations

And for all the wall-to-wall Emmy coverage and interviews your TV-lovin’ heart can handle, keep checking back at TVLine.com over the next 48 hours. Oh, who are we kidding? Keep checking back between now and the Sept. 22 ceremony!

1. RZ says:

Melissa Rauch of Big Bang Theory should be on this list too. She’s the most talented member of a very talented acting ensemble. Too bad she’s always overlooked.

2. Matthew says:

JULIANA MARGOLIS IS NOT A SNUB! For the love of God, The Good Wife is one of the WORST SHOWS ON TELEVISION! Why does it deserve to be nominated for anything?! Just let this pile of horse s**t die already so something that might be tolerable can take it’s timeslot!

• Liz says:

Wow, agressive much?

• Matthew says:

Wow, defensive much?

But seriously, the show’s existence is in every way, shape and form a waste of time and resources. Why shouldn’t people be aggressive about having it ended when something better could take it’s spot?

• Sam says:

lol you can’t even spell Julianna Marguiles’ name right so…there’s that.

• Matthew says:

And you still figured out who I was talking about?! Wow, shocking! You have reached a new pinnacle of intelligence, apparently!

• Sam says:

Well you see Matthew, you actually managed to spell The Good Wife right so my new pinnacle of intelligence would lead me to believe you’re slamming the star of the show…you know…Julianna Marguiles?

And I mean…I don’t know what the show did to offend you so much but you might want to dial it down. It’s gonna be ok.

• Matthew says:

It offends me because I’m a fan of TV, and quality programming could take it’s place. As for Juliana, I have no problems with her. Thought she was great in The Lost Room, good guest stint on Scrubs, and she did what she could for Snakes On A Plane.

3. MoshiMoshi says:

I’m a big GOT fan, so congrats to Peter Dinklage but for this season Nikolaj Coster-Waldau should have received a nomination he was fantastic.

4. Jared says:

Jennifer Carpenter is AMAZING on Dexter. It totally blows my mind that she NEVER gets the recognition she deserves.

• AshleyRae says:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!……………..No NCIS, Sons Of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, or Orphan Black?!
      Once again katey sagal gets SNUB….show some damn respect for GEMMA TELLER-MARROW!
      FU*k the emmys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. kalidaisy says:

EMILY MORTIMER!!!!!!!

6. Carrie says:

I seriously do not know how New Girl, Zooey Deschanel and Jake Johnson were all snubbed. New Girl had an unbelievable second season! I’ve never seen a show tackle dating within the same friend group so realistically and still make it hysterically funny. An absolute shame the show and leads were snubbed. I also think Max Greenfield still managed to have a strong season and should have been nominated.

Also, Hayden Panettiere was ROBBED; as much as I adore Connie Britton, if I had to pick one, I’d definitely pick Hayden. She was compelling and heartbreaking in a role I should have hated. That’s impressive.

• CH says:

Totally agree – Hayden Panetierre was fantastic – much more than Connie Britton who I really like but no comparison to Hayden.

7. Lair says:

WhY is always the same?? I mean I get that they are good nominations but truly my WTF is Tatiana Maslany!!!!

Def the downside is being on BBC. Broaden your horizons voters!’

8. matt says:

The Emmys suck more and more every year. Their continued obsession with cable TV shows how mediocre they are in the first place. A television show isn’t better because they can swear and show boobs. Try not being adolescent boys and truly rewarding the best shows

9. Fabe says:

Wow, of course there is no Monica Potter from Parenthood, but there is Connie Britton from Nashville? Seriously? Her character is so bland; Hayden Panettiere does the best work on Nashville and she doesn’t get nominated? And no Happy Endings noms? Ugh.

10. Tracy says:

Jennifer Carpenter is the biggest snub. She was fantastic in the Dexter finale last season. She is out-acting everyone this season as well. Perhaps next year.

11. Cherry says:

The Emmys ate boring. They refuse to even acknlowlege anything new, it’s a sham. Tatiana ‘Maslany is such a talented girl as well as so many others on this list.

12. John says:

Well you can’t fit ‘em all

13. Mary E Moore says:

John Noble as Walter Bishop on “Fringe”. Best character actor on tv.

14. Babybop says:

I think Parks and Rec hurts the most. I watch A LOT of TV, and year after year, I believe that Parks and Rec is the most deserving of winning the Outstanding Comedy Emmy, and year after year it gets swept over. It’s so disappointing to me.

I’m also extremely bummed at the fact that Walking Dead was completely ignored. It’s one of the most watched shows on TV, and it’s an incredibly beautiful show. Andrew Lincoln had some incredible performances this season, and he deserves to get recognized for it.

But hey, you don’t really know what’s running through the committee’s head, considering they felt that Modern Family was better than EVERY OTHER comedy on TV for the past three freaking years. Can you tell I’m angry about that?

Oh well, there’s my mini rant. I feel better now.

15. Dooley says:

The Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series has none of this year’s great performances. Simon Helberg was simply robbed. He should be joined by the men of Parks and Rec, New Girl and Happy Endings.

16. Alichat says:

John Noble on Fringe! It’s utterly ridiculous that he was never nominated. And Matthew Rys and Keri Russell on The Americans? It makes no sense that they were not nominated. Suits deserves some noms as well especially for Gabriel Macht, Patrick J Adams, Gina Torres, and Rick Hoffman as Louis Litt. I would have also liked Elementary to get some recognition, specifically Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. Their scenes are just subtle, nuanced perfection.

17. Paige says:

How about Spartacus? If you ignore the blood and sex (not easy to do) you would see how well acted it is. I am sad that it gets no love because of the packaging, much like Battlestar Galactica got no love. The Emmy voters have no imagination and are too predictable.

18. Karen says:

I don’t have access to pay channels like HBO so I wish those network/programs were grouped separately from the regular ones. There’s no way I can compare the performances.

19. daffodil29 says:

Elizabeth McGovern for Downton Abbey! Dear lord, this just hurts.

20. Ralph says:

Michael Cudlitz, Monica Potter and the absolutely AMAZING Linda Gray. Very sad they weren’t nominated. Not a surprise. The abhorrant Alec Baldwin gets nominated for sneezing. Obviously not honoring the best

21. Bear75 says:

What’s always obvious with the Emmy’s is there are clear favourites and the members rarely seem to stray outside of them. I can think of so many amazing performances that have just been ignored because the show they were a part of didn’t fit their ideals. I have to say, I stopped respecting the Emmy’s as a serious indicator of the season’s top performances a long time ago :/

22. They leave out Bones year after year. They have a great cast and they have all deserved to be nominated at one time or another. Some of the shows have covered some everyday issues. David and Emily are really great in their characters and should be acknowledge instead of snubbed as they always are for this award and many others. Even People’s Choice awards are the same shows and actors.

23. Brady says:

Aww Eric Stonestreet even got snubbed from you 44 list of snubees. Sorry buddy.

24. MAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT says:

yes but you have like maybe 3 or 4 of the same category. I think a better game would be, who DIDNT DESERVE their nod.

25. Stephanie says:

Jennifer Carpenter has been ignored for the entire run of Dexter. She keeps getting better and better – it is disgusting. Waldau from GOT was a huge omission, as well. Perhaps the biggest though was the absence of any main nominations for Walking Dead, IF you are going to complain that cable dominated the nominations, this is the #1 cable drama. Get with it Emmys!

26. Et al. says:

Furious about Tatiana’s snub. Furious.

27. Alison Dodd says:

The ones that stung the most for me were:
    – No Best Drama for The Americans
    – Nothing for Matthew Rhys or Keri Russell
    – Parks & Rec snubbed for Best Comedy (I’m so over Modern Family)
    – Jennifer Carpenter overlooked for Dexter again
    – Hayden P lost out in favour of Connie Britton

And I know it’s quite divisive, and I’m not sure if it fits in comedy or drama, but I’d love The Newsroom to have scored a nod. Jeff Daniels got one but I would have liked recognition for the whole show

• Ralph Hartman says:

I’m shocked that The Newsroom didn’t get a writing nomination. The writing and dialogue is what made that show great. The acting is great but it’s secondary to the writing.

28. Lumen says:

Really, outstanding drama should be a close call between Scandal, The newsroom and Hannibal… Tony Goldwyn, John Noble, Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen should all be up for outstanding lead actor…. Juliana Margulies and Emily Mortimer are missing their nominations for lead, as is Olivia Munn for supporting actress…. Enough already with all the Mad Men love, last season really was not even close to their first couple. Just my 2 cents…

29. Richard Lee says:

Until the networks can make series that have no censorship rules , like the cable networks, there will always be this wall up,, in todays world of internet, text messing, you tube, instant gram, who are we protecting, If you talk to most kids around the age of 12, they have more knowledge of sex than most adults age 40, as for violence,, ok lets hold the window open and let the moral majority just jump out from the 30th floor, now that would get awards.
    The gaming industry only has to put a rating on there games for x box, wii, Nintendo, cat in the hat, alice in la la land ,and its acceptable, Does WARCRAFT, AND HALO, ring a bell, for a country that is so called liberal, we really suck,, Europe, Asia, and many other countries are far more liberal than us.. so to all the bleeding hearts, moms with too much time on there hands, the holier than thou activists, and the ” I am here for the people” politicians, move, move anywhere, move to a iceberg, but get off your high and mighty soap box, we don’t need help,, “WE BE BIG KIDS NOW” this little rant was written by not a kid, not a teen, not even by the new age mental anguished working class, but by a seasoned old crazy senior who has been there and done that, who ran with sissors, who didn’t put enough close on to go out side in the snow, who didn’t tell his girlfriend to “trust me” . So damn lighten up , besides there are too damn many awards shows that we all know is on a popularity rating scale,, Ok dokays,, nuff said now I go and take my MEDS, tell the room warden to let me use the bedpan, and I will be good,,(ha ha, not gonna happen)

30. Sarah says:

Scandal really?

LOL It’s no West Wing. As a tv critic, you should have more sense.

31. Tania says:

They absolutely need to split up the broadcast and cable shows/actors into separate categories. There are far too many talented people on broadcast tv being snubbed. Say what you want about the writing, the soapiness, the melodrama… but Jessica Capshaw, Sara Ramirez and Sandra Oh all did some amazing work this year and should be recognized. It’s an absolute travesty that Kerry Washington, who is average at best, got an Emmy nom and none of those 3 women did.

32. John Moshier says:

your list is ridiculous they need to have separate award shows for primetime and cablethen they could have another show with both winners competing cause you now they love awards shows

33. kate says:

are they afraid if they stop nominating Modern Family someone will call them homophobic? because when Modern Family is taking up more than it’s fair share of comedy slots AGAIN, this begins to feel really old, really fast. honestly, none of this would be bad if they didn’t nominate the same people/same shows EVERY year. of course a couple of people/shows who deserve to get nominated won’t be nominated because there just aren’t enough slots, but the changes from year to year are minimal at best.

34. Don’t know why the Academy ignores New Girl and Parenthood two of the best shows on TV.
    I have to say, Joel Kinnaman who plays Detective Holder on The Killing is my absolute favorite character on TV, it’s a shame this show goes unnoticed!

35. Jen says:

Mads Mikkelsen and Hugh Dancy.

Also there are at least 4 comedies that are better than the crappy Girls. I don’t understand why that shows keeps getting nominated. It’s awful.

36. LM Warneke says:

You forgot to include Corey Stoll, phenomenal as Peter Russo in House of Cards. He easily should have not only been nominated, but won as well.

37. bgeesfan says:

Supernatural deserves Emmys for: outstanding drama, outstanding actors (J2), outstanding writing, special effects…not even listed under snubs. Ridiculous!

38. Amadeo says:

TATIANA F***** MASLANY! Julianna Margulies and Monica Potter. I can’t handle.

39. Kevin says:

44 snubs TV Line? Really is that it? I am fine with listing 44 but tell us then who should be removed. Smh

40. addicted to tv says:

now lets predict the winners…just search,copy and paste last year’s outstanding performers/shows list and there it is…you’ve got it! there is no reason to watch or care about the emmys anymore…just lame and boring..

41. ilovefootball2525 says:

As my friend pointed out, actors/actresses have to submit their clip and pay a fee in order to be considered for nomination. It’s tough to say if it’s a snub or not w/o knowing whether people paid the fee. A few years ago, Kelsey Grammer didn’t submit a clip on purpose as he’d won so many times he wanted to give others a chance. It was called a “snub”, but it really wasn’t. John Laroquette did the same thing in the 80s when he was on Night Court.

42. Jimmy says:

Whoa, how was Andrew Lincoln NOT nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor?! Did they not see his reaction when he found out his on-screen wife (Sarah Wayne Callies) dies?! That was gut-wrenching and truly a masterpiece. Also, the entire show itself wasn’t even nominated for Outstanding Drama Series!!! How is that even remotely possible?! Do the higher-ups not watch The Walking Dead? Do they not realizes that nearly every episode leaves us on the edge of our seat? It’s a slap in the face to all of The Walking Dead’s cast and crew members.

• zanie says:

I cannot believe that he wasn’t nominated ! I mean, he is so incredible ! Since season 1 he’s been an amazing actor, stealing every scene he’s in ! Andrew Lincoln doesn’t play Rick, he IS Rick…

43. Pati says:

What does Jennifer Carpenter have to do? She is so good has great material and no love for her

44. Liam says:

I’m sorry, but Connie Britton for Nashville over Julianna Marguilles or Tatiana Maslany?
    No nod for The Good Wife?

The EMMYs are sh*t!

45. There’s a lot I’m disappointed about, but this one’s worth mentioning because I was wondering whether anyone else was thinking about it: no Hugh Dancy? I MEAN COME ON. I’m glad somebody agrees.

46. Britta Unfiltered says:

You guys forgot Walton Goggin’s guest appearance on Sons of Anarchy. C’mon, I know you loved that as much as I did!

47. For the most part I can agree with the people who got noms, but Monica Potter, Zooey Deschanel, and Nick Offerman were all largely snubbed.

48. Hershey says:

John Noble!!! This is absurd. He deserves an Emmy! The people behind the Emmys don’t know what real talent is!

49. NotBri says:

No Monica Potter. Oh well. Maybe Kristina will get cancer again next year. :(

50. nickp91 says:

Can you believe Scandal was not even nominated for outstanding drama series