Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: The 44 Biggest Snubs

Get More: Emmys, Lists, Photo Gallery

You can’t always get what you want — especially when it comes to Emmy nominations. And so while today’s announcement of the 2013 contenders included a number of fresh faces and nifty surprises (huzzah for Anna Chlumsky!), we still found ourselves yelling The S Word — “Snubs!” of course — at the questionable judgment of those at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations: The Complete List

Check out our list of this year’s 44 most egregious omissions from the race — damn, some of ‘em really sting, don’t they? — then hit the comments with the snubs that left you ready to storm Emmy HQ with brickbats and torches.

RELATED | Michael Ausiello Weighs in on the Good, Bad and Ugly of the 2013 Nominations

And for all the wall-to-wall Emmy coverage and interviews your TV-lovin’ heart can handle, keep checking back at TVLine.com over the next 48 hours. Oh, who are we kidding? Keep checking back between now and the Sept. 22 ceremony!

Tags:

Comments (277)

• Seriously… Whoever decides on who gets nominated really need to watch some more TV, ironically. Pathetic list of nominees.

Comment by Mark – July 18, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, This list of nominees is pathetic at best.

Comment by DW – July 18, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the reason why Emmy’s are pointless.. Those who nominate don’t watch TV just read press clippings… geesh.. thankfully, I can easily ignore it and enjoy what I like.. The Americans, Orphan Black, Parenthood, The Good Wife, Justified.. So many good shows I don’t have time to work!!! And now we have stuff like Orange is Black..

Comment by drhenning – July 18, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the record, nothing about Happy Endings, including the cast, was ever any good.

Comment by China Blue – July 18, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even as a fan of the show, I have to agree with that. It would never be possible to nominate any of the actors as “great” or the show as “best”. It was just an ok show I liked to watch.

Comment by Dan – July 18, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All three seasons of Happy Endings run, had critical acclaim, every member of the Happy Endings cast, including a few of the supporting cast, deserves a Emmy, even a nomination at least. It’s cancellation was hard enough, being snubbed at the Emmys makes it even harder.

Comment by Aaron Abraham. (@Aaron__Abraham) – July 19, 2013 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was half expecting Tatiana to be snubbed, not only because of the sci-fi thing. It didn’t help being a Canadian production on a little watched channel either. I think even her age hurt her. When was the last time someone in their 20s was nominated as a lead? She had a lot working against her that I anticipated it, but it’s still soooo disappointing. I thought maybe, just maybe.

At least when the Oscars get it wrong they spread their nominations to both vets and young, up-and-coming talent.

Comment by Alex – July 18, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know you love Connie Britton, Michael but I think that Hayden was outstanding in Nashville and deserved a nomination more.

Comment by AlisonC – July 18, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany, Monica Potter & Lana Parrilla were all robbed!!!

Comment by Callie – July 18, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lana Parilla? Oh please, she is way overrated… She has only two expressions: “I’m so evil and I like it” or “I’m good and I cry”… Ridiculous.

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lana Parilla is terrible. It’s ok if you like her character, but please don’t come saying that that’s good acting.

Comment by Dan – July 18, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it serious that nobody so far touched on the name of the incredibility that is Mads Mikkelsen in Hannibal? The guy is a whole new Hannibal Lecter like we thought wasn’t possible. Just wait for season 2…

Comment by Dan – July 18, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same old, same old. I agree with almost all the snubs except Happy Endings and New Girl. Tried to watch those shows and just could not get into either of them, esp Happy Endings. Shame about Justified actors being snubbed and TBBT stars shut out except for JIm Parsons. Hope it wins Best Comedy, long overdue

Comment by Ethel – July 18, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl / Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield & Zooey Deschanel; Jonny Lee Miller;
    Simon Helberg; Melissa Rauch
    Eden Sher;
    RuPaul
    The Mindy Show / Mindy Kaling

30 Rock / Fey & Baldwin?? Again?? Really??
    Modern Family a

House of Cards is only in there so the Academy can be seen as hip and forward thinking.

Comment by raymondj64 – July 18, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So seriously disappointed nothing for SouthLAnd, The Americans, or Happy Endings!!! Michael Cudlitz was the best this last season. He really deserved some recognition.

Comment by Aleesha – July 18, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every year it seems that the networks, whom viewers have to pay to see, gets more and more nominations. I am disgusted that regular viewers, who do not pay to see hbo, showtime, et al, are subject to seeing actors like Monica Potter get snub. I feel that their should be separate awards. just my opinion but if you’re going to put it on tv then every viewer should be able to see it Thanks

Comment by Jo Ana Scott – July 18, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would trade Harry Hamlin and Robert Morse for James Wolk. (Although Robert Morse probably got nominated for his single line in the finale which was brilliant)

Comment by Philly In DC – July 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely agree that Nikolaj was snubbed. He’s been absolutely incredible this season, the character has been consistently interesting. Barring his wedding to Sansa, I’m hard pushed to remember anything outstanding Tyrion did.

Comment by Vanessa – July 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still trying to get over the ridiculousness of New Girl getting absolutely nothing this year. How is that possible? Jake Johnson, Zooey Deschenel and Max Greenfield just completely ignored for their super incredible talent. And WHY Parks and Recreation fail to get rarely anything I will never understand. And Monica Potter good graceous, I don’t think the Emmys have ever made me this mad before. Can’t take it.

Comment by Wesley – July 18, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The complete Emmy New Girl snub is what is had made me the most mad of all the snubs this year. Not even 1 nomination!?! This show was on fire during seaon 2 and the whole cast deserved nominations!!

Comment by Shannon – July 18, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany and Jennifer Carpenter are not just potential nominees, THEY ARE POTANTIAL WINNERS. God, this makes me so angry! They aren’t nominated, when in fact they should be the winners!

Comment by Sarah – July 18, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Anna Torv chose not to submit to the emmy this year??

Comment by Aaron – July 18, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does Katey Sagal have to do to get an Emmy nomination! Jfc, it’s ridiculous, but I agree with the nominees this year (minus Connie Britton). Rooting for Vera Farmiga!

Comment by Vince – July 18, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Katey Sagal?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by A – July 18, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jim Beaver as guest actor on Justified…

Comment by Samantha – July 18, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • agree with most of them but where’s courteney cox( one of the biggest snub since friends, never nominated for that, seriously?! and cougar town and stana katic!!!

Comment by shay – July 18, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snubs of them all: Jennifer Carpenter, Monica Potter and of course John Noble. The Americans also got snubbed as well as stars Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich and no love for New Girl and stars Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson and Max Greenfield. Also, bummed out that Nick Offerman got snubbed for the second year in a row, Kate McKinnon and Taran Killam from SNL didn’t get no Emmy love and poor Casey Wilson of Happy Endings. BTW, still no Emmy love for NCIS.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 18, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rupal as Best Reality Show Host, and Rupaul’s Drag Race as Best Reality Show… EPIC SNUB!

Comment by Jason – July 18, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey don’t look at me, I gave up on the Emmys when Battlestar Galactica was on TV. The fact that fantastic shows like SouthLAnd, Justified and Sons of Anarchy get ignored while they keep voting for the same things on the “big networks” over and over again completely invalidates these lists.

Comment by Ruby – July 18, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget Buffy!

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people have got to be kidding me – ABC Family and CW shows getting nominated for Emmys? Emmys are for the big guns, the high drama. Your favorite show is your favorite show for a reason – because you like it. But that doesn’t mean it’s the best or anywhere near the best. For every one of these nominations to be included, someone/thing who actually got nominated would have to be EXcluded, and in MOST (not all) of these categories this is not an option, the best have already been nominated.

I haven’t seen Orphan Black so I can’t comment on that, but I think the only things missing from the nominations were New Girl cast members and Parks & Rec as best comedy series.

Get real.

Comment by Amanda P – July 18, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so upset about New Girl. Not one nomination!?! That show was amazing last season!!

Comment by Shannon – July 18, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jake Johnson was so brilliant this year (and always). I agree he was robbed. Simon Helberg has also been standing out to me this past year when I watch BBT. I’ve become acutely aware of his talent lately – I’m glad you mentioned him here.

Comment by kwise – July 18, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a rule in Hollywood that movie stars absolutely MUST be nominated for Emmys if they go on a TV show even if they don’t do a great job? Seriously.

Comment by Molly – July 18, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. Movie and Broadway stars get special treatment from the EMMYs.
      A good example is Nathan Lane. He was fine on The Good Wife but in no way should he get a nomination for Best Guest Actor in a Drama.

Comment by DW – July 18, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably the very worst set of nominations……ever. I have no need to spend any more time thinking about, reading about, or watching the EMMYs this year. Move the show to cable where it now belongs.

Comment by DW – July 18, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with the snubs for Tatiana Maslany, John Noble and Sutton Foster. Alas, none of them stood a chance. TM and JN are on scifi shows and the Emmys ignore those every single year. And Bunheads didn’t have enough buzz for Foster to have been a possibility.

Also agree with snubs for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Andrew Lincoln and Parks and Recreation, though I was naive enough to think there was at least a small chance they’d get the nom.

I disagree with Julianna Margulies and The Good Wife. JM is a fantastic actress and TGW is a good show but season 4 was not up to the quality of the first three seasons. Also disagree with Anna Torv, as the show gave Olivia such a passive role in the final season. I would’ve nominated her for seasons 2 and 3, easily.

I go back and forth with Michelle Fairley. She was clearly brilliant in the Red Wedding episode but had very little to do prior to that. The show began destroying Cat’s arc in season 2, when they shifted so much focus to Robb/Talisa and that continued with season 3, right up until her final episode. That being said, she was brilliant in that episode and she’s a fantastic actress so perhaps she should’ve gotten the nom despite not having any decent material prior to the RW.

Comment by Fi – July 18, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhm?? The Americans anywhere? I feel that’s a R E A L snub . Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys have been consistently on fire on it . Can’t believe this . Anyway, not that I’ve ever believed the Emmy’s to be good judges of tv shows .

Comment by Queen Storm – July 18, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Larry Hagman (which would have been a shoe-in for him to win…), no Patrick Duffy, and definitely NO Linda Gray??? Come ON, Linda Gray TOTALLY shined in J.R.’s Masterpiece! EVEN IF it was after the deadline, she deserved an Emmy for that.

Comment by BJ Wanlund (@bjwanlund) – July 18, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Kristen Bell is great on House of Lies. I don’t watch Parenthood, but even I know Monica Potter should have been nominated. Boo.

Comment by Reece – July 18, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lilly Rabe, she was AMAZING in American Horror Story

Comment by CJ – July 18, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on shows I watch the biggest snubs for me are:
    Monica Porter
    Peter Krause
    Parenthood – Show
    Charlie Hunnam
    Maggie Siff
    Katey Sagal
    Sons of Anarchy – Show
    Dexter – Show
    Michael C Hall
    Jennifer Carpenter
    Suits – Show
    Gabriel Macht

Of course not everyone can be nominated but there really is not much on the list of nominees that I care about, but I am sure I will end up tuning in anyways!

Comment by sarah – July 18, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Rectify? The best new show on television….and nothing. It says something about this age of television that there are so many deserving nominees…

Comment by Jennifer Hemmerlein – July 18, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could Simon Helberg not get a nomination? Really? The EMMY nominations are worse than a bad joke this year.

Comment by DW – July 18, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive honestly stop caring about the Emmys because all they nominate every year are the same ppl whose characters are written specifically with these critics in mind. Few exceptions here and there, all the same. *yawn*

Comment by D-fm – July 18, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Cudlitz being left off the list is one of the biggest snubs in the history of snubs.

Comment by xwiseguyx – July 18, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael Cudlitz’s performance on Southland this year (and past years) is the finest acting I have ever witnessed on television. He just got robbed.

Comment by CHH – July 18, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I wrong, or did they have some of the most blatant snubs in Emmy history this year?

Comment by lariet50 – July 18, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed Hannibal didn’t get any mention. How about Gillian Anderson for supporting or guest star

Comment by Ann – July 18, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany – huge snub, wow. How do you not nominate someone who is almost the entire cast of a show and brilliant to boot?
    Also, I know Once Upon A Time was probably looked over because it’s fantasy/it’s writing can be probmatic, but Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlisle were definitely snubbed as well. Or even Barbra Hershey as a guest star!

Comment by Figures – July 18, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank you for not including Eric Stonestreet.

Comment by Tom Charles – July 18, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO CBS AS EXPECTED (except for TGW)… I guess that’s what you get for producing brainless, stupid ratings monsters that no critics care about

Comment by Janice – July 18, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STANA KATIC!!!! Or CASTLE!

Comment by Castle – July 18, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corey Stoll as Peter Russo in House Of Cards? Seriously, that guy was fantastic.

Comment by Misanthrope – July 18, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GUILLERMO DIAZ – Scandal!!!!!!!

Comment by Leslie – July 18, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Guillermo Diaz & Jeff Perry deserved to be on that list. They light up the screen whenever they’re on it. They make every scene better.

Comment by Kathryn – July 18, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany is just one in a long list of scifi/fantasy actors to be snubbed by the Emmys. Lucy Lawless, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ben Browder, and John Noble are just some of the many deserving actors to go unnoticed by the Emmys. Jaime Murray in SyFy’s Defiance this year has been amazingly good. Maslany’s co-star, Jordan Gavaris, also deserves a nomination for his superb work.

Comment by Nan – July 18, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah as Buffy is one of the greatest snub in the history of the Emmys.

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still no love for Castle, especially Stana Katic. I thought this might be her year with the emotional performances from “After the Storm,” “Recoil,” and “Watershed,” but apparently not.

Comment by Courtney – July 18, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would Kaley Cuoco not be counted as Lead Actress in a Comedy?

Comment by Nicole – July 18, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d add Mads Mikkelsen to the snubbed list. He and Hugh Dancy are superb in Hannibal. Sad to see no Sons of Anarchy noms either. I didn’t think Mad Men was all that great this season. What do I know though….

Comment by Vikki Gamier – July 18, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, most of my favorites were snubbed even from the list of snubs. Phylllis Logan is always wonderful as Mrs. Hughes on DA and even got a snippet of her own story this year, and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr.Gold is what’s worth the price of admission at Once Upon a Time (a silly show, but a virtuoso performance by a brilliant actor).

Comment by Cass – July 18, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – Robert Carlyle is magnificent in Once Upon A Time!

Comment by CH – July 18, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post