The 2013 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and infuriating. For every inspired nod (congrats, Carrie Preston!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no Tatiana Maslany?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.
RELATED | Emmy Nominations: The Complete List
I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* A nod for Bates Motel‘s incredible Vera Farmiga.
* Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg both scoring mentions.
* Kerry Washington sneaking in for Scandal. Ditto surprise guest contender Dan Bucatinsky.
* All the love for USA’s cancelled Political Animals. Ditto HBO’s axed Enlightened (yay, Molly Shannon!) Also Sundance’s sublime Top of the Lake.
* The best comedy nomination for Veep.
* Finally Carrie Preston gets some guest star love for her standout work on The Good Wife.
* Margo Martindale scoring a nod for The Americans.
* All the nods for Homeland, including overdue supporting contenders Morena Baccarin and Mandy Patinkin.
* American Horror Story: Asylum cleaning up.
I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Betty White getting a reality hosting nod for Betty White’s Off Their Rockers. That was RuPaul’s spot, dammit!
I’m Super-Pissed About:
* The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the second consecutive year. Julianna Margulies didn’t even make the cut.
* New Girl getting shut out of all major categories for its best season so far.
* Zero recognition for The Big Bang Theory‘s secret weapons Simon Helberg and Melissa Rauch.
* No Jennifer Carpenter? WTF?
* No love for Parenthood’s Monica Potter. Still processing that snub.
* Parks and Recreation failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (because it bears repeating). Ditto The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys.
* Southland getting bubkes. (What does Michael Cudlitz have to do to get a nomination?!)
* Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting overlooked.
* No nod for The Walking Dead’s Andrew Lincoln.
* Nada for Game of Thrones‘ Nikolaj Coster Waldau.
Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.