Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: My Snappy Judgments

Get More: Awards, Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013 Snubs and SurprisesThe 2013 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and infuriating. For every inspired nod (congrats, Carrie Preston!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no Tatiana Maslany?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations: The Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* A nod for Bates Motel‘s incredible Vera Farmiga.
* Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg both scoring mentions.
Kerry Washington sneaking in for Scandal. Ditto surprise guest contender Dan Bucatinsky.
* All the love for USA’s cancelled Political Animals. Ditto HBO’s axed Enlightened (yay, Molly Shannon!) Also Sundance’s sublime Top of the Lake.
* The best comedy nomination for Veep.
* Finally Carrie Preston gets some guest star love for her standout work on The Good Wife.
* Margo Martindale scoring a nod for The Americans.
* All the nods for Homeland, including overdue supporting contenders Morena Baccarin and Mandy Patinkin.
* American Horror Story: Asylum cleaning up.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: The 45 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Betty White getting a reality hosting nod for Betty White’s Off Their Rockers. That was RuPaul’s spot, dammit!

I’m Super-Pissed About:
The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the second consecutive year. Julianna Margulies didn’t even make the cut.
* New Girl getting shut out of all major categories for its best season so far.
* Zero recognition for The Big Bang Theory‘s secret weapons Simon Helberg and Melissa Rauch.
* No Jennifer Carpenter? WTF?
* No love for Parenthood’s Monica Potter. Still processing that snub.
* Parks and Recreation
failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (because it bears repeating). Ditto The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys.
Southland getting bubkes. (What does Michael Cudlitz have to do to get a nomination?!)
Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting overlooked.
* No nod for The Walking Dead’s Andrew Lincoln.
* Nada for Game of Thrones‘ Nikolaj Coster Waldau.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

Comments (203)

• Can somebody explain the Joan Cusack thing please? First of all she’s not a guest actress, I’m sorry, you’re not a guest when you appear in every single episode of the season ! And her performance is good but is it really worth of three emmy nods in a row?

Comment by Anaïs – July 18, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also pissed about Monica Potter Cote de Paulo Julianna Margulies Kailee Cuoco. Stop giving out emmys to cable and pay channels. Let them have their own awards.

Comment by Paul – July 18, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very disappointed that Charlie Hunnam (Jax Telller, Sons Of Anarchy) was overlooked yet again. He is more than deserving and had given the most consistently outstanding lead actor performance year in and year out for the last 4 seasons.

Comment by angelwings – July 18, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Love for Connie Britton or Robin Wright the artist formally known as Santa Barbara’s Kelly Capwell? I’m shocked!

Comment by Stacy – July 18, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Connie Britton was nominated

Comment by Alice – July 18, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, Connie was nominated. GO Connie! :D I’m just surprised Michael Ausiello didn’t say how happy he was about it in his comments.

Comment by Stacy – July 18, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alec Baldwin? Seriously? Well I can at least take some comfort in the fact that John Cryer wasn’t nominated for that mess of a show.

Comment by BMC9999 – July 18, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corey Stoll in House of Cards anyone? Good to see Kevin and Robin and the show get some recognition, but Corey needed some love too!

Comment by BLH – July 18, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me, he was the best part of House of Cards’ first season. Absolutely incredible. It definitely would have been nice for him to be recognized.

Comment by CJ – July 18, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Nicolaj Coster Waldau had a much better storyline and performance this year than Peter Dinklage …

Comment by Anaïs – July 18, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t even seen all of Orphan Black (Finishing it tonight) but even i’m upset that Tatiana Maslany didn’t get nominated! From just the promos you can see how much of a flexible and versatile actress she is and that she deserves recognition. And with all the fan support for Her i was totally convinced she was going to be nominated. It Just shows how the Emmys don’t even consider the viewers at all and every year we get our hopes up and there just crushed. Fair play to the nominated People well done. But Tatiana Maslany, and many other actors deserved to be in the mix. Emmys, You messed it up again!!

Comment by Carl – July 18, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Mrs. Coach as much as the next person, but Connie Britton for Nashville over Tatiana? At least when the Oscars get it wrong they spread their nominations around to both vets and young, up-and-coming talent.

Comment by Alex – July 18, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about HANNIBAL!!!!Mads Mikkelsen – genius!

Comment by Ay – July 18, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TATIANA MASLANY deserved nominations in both ACTRESS and SUPPORTING ACTRESS. I’m going to blame BBC AMERICA for waiting too long to get her work in Emmy Voter’s Hands! She will not be overlooked at the Golden Globes or Screen Actors Guild Awards!

CLORIS LEACHMAN deserved recognition for the final episode of RAISING HOPE. Like TATIANA MASLANY of ORPHAN BLACK – Miss Leachman played multiple characters, well OK two characters – Maw Maw and her mother!

ANNE HATHAWAY deserved a nomination for Guest Hosting Saturday Night Live – it was one of the only episodes I didn’t have to fast forward through this last year! I am sure it synched her Oscar for Fantine/Catwoman!

I look forward to next years awards – when Tatiana Maslany will not be overlooked and multiple award nominations for THE FOSTERS on the ABCFamily network will begin, the best new drama on television. I also expect to see more nominees from TNT – they are not kidding when they say TNT KNOWS DRAMA!

One more thing – award shows are becoming more and more “political” and I was rather disappointed seeing LAWN SIGNS advertising a particular show this year. What’s next – skywriting?

Comment by John Richard Petersen – July 18, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, I’m pissed every single year when the standout show and cast of Showtime’s “Shameless” fails to score a nomination outside of Joan Cusack. Emmy Rossum, in particular, was so phenomenal this last season….I just don’t get it.

Comment by Sean – July 18, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jennifer carpenter is the most shocking.. she is amazing!!

Comment by chiaraaa – July 18, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Hannibal?? I am consumed by Mads Mikkelson. This show is soooo good.

Comment by Sherry (@fourrats) – July 18, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for Kerry Washington, but not surprised by it. Aside from the fact that she’s awesome in the role & it’s well deserved, she has an excellent movie history and she was in the Variety Emmy Studio Watch panel for actresses. The buzz was just super-high for her. I would have been surprised if she hadn’t gotten it. I’m thrilled she did though.

However, where the heck is Jeff Perry for best supporting actor? His work as Cyrus is stunning. That is a huge snub. My theory is Emmy voters often vote by “the buzz” without actually watching the shows or submitted performances.

Finally, what’s up with only four nominations for best actress in a comedy? Did people just not submit? That is weird. Then again, so are the Emmys. They have no awards for procedurals or dramedy, which are traditional TV formats, and yet there are awards for reality television? That’s just wrong.

Comment by beckstle – July 18, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Jeff Perry as Cyrus and also Guillermo Diaz as Huck both deserved spots in best supporting actor category.

Comment by rb – July 18, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As expected the results are a shame again. No The Good Wife in best drama? No Julianne Marguiles? What the hell! No Monica Potter? I get the categories are crowded, but it seems as Mad Men, Homeland ( deserving! ), Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad are ruling every category. I get some would call those shows their favorites, but give other shows a chance people!

Comment by ingmarhappy – July 18, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Cam on Modern Family? Is he the only one on that show that didn’t get nominated? Doesn’t he always win?

Comment by nunya – July 18, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I can’t imagine how pissed he was this morning.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad he didn’t get nominated. His character has become unbearable.

Comment by ekalinski – July 18, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Smith (again) for Downton Abbey, Yes, she is the grand dame of British actresses, but please stop nominating her for her lifetime of work. Her character is about 95% the same in every situation.
    No way Joanne Froggatt should not have been nominated for her role as Anna for this past season! She had to play such a wide range of situations and emotions and she did it incredibly as always, but she was snubbed. They could have had one more nomination in that category to make seven like other categories. I could have handled it better if Maggie hadn’t been nominated.

Great to see Mayim Bialik get a second nomination as Best Supporting Actress in a comedy. I really don’t get people…maybe they just don’t like her personally or because she is not one of the “beautiful people”. She has created a great character who actually grows and changes (unlike most comedy roles) and can play the few dramatic/serious bits very well. Her control and use of her voice and the emotion in her voice really make many of the scenes work that otherwise wouldn’t. You don’t base a nomination on how good the season was or wasn’t for the show as someone seemed to suggest.
    Most comedy characters are one dimensional. I’m glad that TBBT allows for their characters to grow and change, which is pretty amazing considering that 2 1/2 Men and Mike and Molly seem kind of stuck. Glad to see Lorre is returning to letting his characters be real people like in Roseanne and Dharma & Greg and still be funny, but with some drama.

Comment by Mel – July 18, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s all politics. I would agree that JoFro was great and in some ways maybe more deserving than Maggie, but I would also argue that there are a lot of fantastic actresses in the supporting category that are arguably more deserving than anyone from DA. I love DA. Don’t get me wrong. I watch it religiously and I think it’s great. BUT so many shows have absolutely phenomenal ensemble support (The Americans, Parenthood, GoT -which is overflowing with talent- even Grey’s Anatomy – which as a show is maybe not Emmy worthy anymore, but has a cast that is insanely good). I was a little sad about Archie not making the cut this year, but it’s unsurprising and for the same reason as above, not really undeserved.

Comment by C – July 18, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad about The Good Wife (though to be fair they probably deserved to get bumped for their botched Kalinda storyline that really kinda lasted the whole season). If only a more deserving show (The Americans) was in it’s place. Downton Abbey (though I love it!) does not count. Tatiana Maslany I think is probably the biggest snub though – that girl is incredible.

Comment by C – July 18, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they snubbed Shirley Maclaine for drama guest actress on Downton!

Comment by N – July 18, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Jeff Perry, seriously?! He soooooo deserved it for this past season.

Comment by TJ – July 18, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought if Walking Dead got nominated for anything it would be Lennie James for guest actor in Clear. That was the biggest Walking Dead snub.

Comment by Jay – July 18, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe that Tatiana Maslany is not there – what does she have to do – play the roles of 12 people and not 6, 7 or 8 that she already does??????? And so well, that she really becomes each separate person.

This years noms are so boring that I will probably not even watch the show – I could care less about any of them….

Comment by barney – July 18, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree about Simon Helberg. Melissa Rauch is great but had little screen time so I can see her not being looked at this year. Perhaps she will get more airtime next season. Mayim had little airtime, but she shines and is a scene stealer. She deserved to be nominated, as did Jim. Glad to hear of their nominations, but am very sad Simon was not on the list. He is gold!

Surprised about some of the folks on the list this year. There were definite surprises.

Comment by Melody – July 18, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I object to the treatment of (some of) the Brits! I love Downton Abbey, but I don’t think this season deserved a “best drama” nomination. On the other hand, I was so impressed with Matthew Rhys on The Americans and wish he’d been nominated. Even if voters only watched the pilot of that show, I’d think they’d be blown away by his performance. On a positive note, Rupert Friend was sooo good on Homeland and I’m glad he’s being recognized for it.

Comment by Dillon – July 18, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about some, sad about others. I can’t wait to see Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter on the carpet together; I wish Michael Emerson was up for Person of Interest only so he and Carrie Preston could both be nominated together as well.

Comment by chershey – July 18, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhm, why is there any disapointment about Good Wife? In fact, why is this terrible, terrible excuse for “entertainment” even on TV? There’s no reason for it to exist, at all. The story and acting are absolutely atrocious!

Comment by Matthew – July 18, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best show on TV – BY FAR – for the last couple years.

Comment by matt – July 18, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You obviously don’t watch Breaking Bad or you would know that’s like comparing aluminum to gold.

Comment by Lisbeth Slander – July 18, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all about policts and money, people, get over it.

Comment by Mobsters are everywhere – July 18, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon and Melissa should be recognised for their work in the Big Bang.
    No Hannibal or Orphan Black. They deserve to be on the list.
    Zooey Deschanel for New Girl. This is the best comedy show.

Comment by SnakeEyes – July 18, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The nominations look like they came from social climbers who nominate movie and Broadway stars just for doing a TV show. Agree with the comments that so many deserving people should have been nominated instead of some of these inexplicable nods. To me the EMMYs have been overly political for years. I mean 30 Rock and its stars over and over and over again? And Nathan Lane for a good guest star turn on The Good Wife? It was good…not EMMY worthy. No nomination for The Good Wife and Julianna Margulies? Really? The best drama on network TV isn’t nominated over some of the cable dramas on the list? What a pathetic set of nominations.

Comment by DW – July 18, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super annoyed about the snubs for The Americans, Keri Russel, Matthew Rhys, Parks & Rec, Happy Endings, The Good Wife, and Monica Potter. Gah.

Comment by Brandon – July 18, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same boring Nominations once again. It never changes

Comment by ggny – July 18, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Emmys suck more and more every year. Their continued obsession with cable TV shows how mediocre they are in the first place. A television show isn’t better because they can swear and show boobs. Try not being adolescent boys and truly rewarding the best shows

Comment by matt – July 18, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously! Katey Sagal has never had a bad season of Sons. She is long overdue for her entire TV career, actually, not just Sons.

Comment by Vince – July 18, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising. Rarely do people I think deserve nominations actually get them. Game of Thrones is an odd one…it’s like people wanted to nominate some acting but didn’t know who, so they just picked the two they knew the best. I love Dinklage and Clarke, but I wouldn’t say this was either’s best season. Danearys was awesome, but that was more from badassery than anything else.

Comment by Kerry – July 18, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana Maslany’s Emmy nomination is wherever they put all the nominations for Anna Torv and John Noble over the years for Fringe. Complex characters and playing multiple people in a sci fi show, and people are surprised she wasn’t nominated? It’s sad, but completely expected.

Comment by RyanC – July 18, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have learned to expect great disappointment when ever the nominations are announced. I just can’t take the Emmys seriously when the same mediocre performances are rewarded year after year, and incredible shows and actors are snubbed. The absence of Michael Cudlitz and Monica Potter from the list is glaring. Truthfully I could rant all day about who should and should not have made the list, so I’ll leave it at that.

Comment by CJ – July 18, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Massively disappointed at Andrew Lincoln not being nominated. His breakdown this season was heartbreaking. Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey really? The last season was a complete laughing stock in the UK.

Comment by Labpar – July 18, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKOLAJ WALDAU AND MICHELLE FAIRLEY were absolutely amazing in this past season of Game of Thrones… and nothing for them.
    Whereas Emilia Clarke’s performance was pretty reserved and predictable… Don’t know why she got nominated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So many snubs

Comment by Chris – July 18, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Walking Dead!! At all!! Especially Andrew Lincoln!! Wow what a snub, or Sons of Anarchy..

Comment by Brittany – July 18, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about MAGIC CITY! Danny Huston is incredible. What an actor! Love JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN as well.

Comment by Anna. Nicolopoulos – July 18, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the love for Hadien P (I am not even going to try to spell her last name). Her work on Nashville was jaw dropping this season. Biggest snub in my opinion!

Comment by RUCookie – July 18, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The biggest snubs? Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Jim Beaver for arguably the best season of Jusitified. Michael Cudlitz for Southland?

Comment by Dolphin – July 18, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is there no USA Netwotk shows nomminated? Suits, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice or White Collar.

Comment by Karen D – July 18, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They finally got something out of Political Animals. I wonder if they will regret cancelling it.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know the system is broke when American Horror Story is the most nominated show on tv.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least AHS is quality TV. You know the system is broke when Girls gets nominated and Hannibal gets snub in everything.

Comment by Jen – July 18, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not sure why you are comparing Girls to Hannibal. If anything it’s a shame it was nominated when Parks and Rec was omitted. As much as I loved Hannibal, the drama category seemed more packed than ever this year. Bummed Dexter, Justified, Sons of Anarchy were all snubbed as well but I guess its a sign of how good drama tv has gotten lately. Comedy still has some room for improvement. I wouldn’t call AHS quality tv, it’s entertaining and there are some good performances, but as far as the story goes its basically a mish-mash of plagiarism of some truly great horror stories.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can you list snubs and ignore the complete snubbing of Justified. When your cast starts with a talent like Timothy Olyphant…then moves to Walton Goggins and adds Jim Beaver and Mike O’Malley…you missed the boat on this one.

Comment by ripetebook – July 18, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless. Justified. Southland.

Comment by Lulu – July 18, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And who does John Noble have to sleep with to get nominated for an Emmy? Because he did not even get nominated for his guest spot on The Good Wife. Something is terribly wrong with the Emmy voting.

Comment by tvdiva – July 18, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emmy’s Non-Nominations 2013!
    Here’s my list of shows that should have been but were NOT nominated by the Academy.
    I’ve separated them by Broadcast and Cable because, let’s face it, they play by different rules!

OUTSTANDING DRAMA BROADCAST CABLE

The Vampire Diaries True Blood
    Once Upon A Time Defiance
    Warehouse 13

OUTSTANDING MUSICAL BROADCAST CABLE
    Smash

Comment by John – July 18, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was hysterical, thanks for lightning things up!

Comment by Lauren – July 18, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, that list was interesting.

Comment by tripoli – July 18, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why AUSIELLO is happy or sad for these nominations if he knows how emmy works, he should know the things you should do to get a nomination. it is weird.

Comment by gaby6034 – July 18, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post