Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: Horror Story, Thrones, Liberace and 30 Rock Lead Pack; House of Cards, Scandal and Political Animals Score Nods

Emmy NominationsNominations for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced Thursday morning by Breaking Bad boy Aaron Paul and three-time Emmy winner/How I Met Your Mother star/2013 Emmys host Neil Patrick Harris.

American Horror Story: Asylum scared up the most nods of anyone, amassing 17 total (including for Outstanding Miniseries and frontwoman Jessica Lange), while Game of Thrones followed closely with 16.

On the comedy front, 30 Rocks farewell run netted 13 total noms, followed by Modern Family‘s 12 and The Big Bang Theory‘s eight.

By network, HBO dominated with 108 total nominations, followed — distantly — by CBS and NBC, which each tallied 53.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: TVLine Lists the 45 Biggest Snubs!

Of note, Lead Comedy Actress contender Julia Louis-Dreyfus made Emmy history by besting Lucille Ball’s mark of 13 career noms; Scandal converted its buzz into possible bling, with a pair of nods (including for Kerry Washington); and both Netflix’s House of Cards and USA Network’s passed-on Political Animals reaped votes.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: Read Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements!

Here is the list of the major nominees. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with utter euphoria… or over-expressed outrage. (It’s the Internet, so we’re conservatively predicting 60 percent “outrage.”)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
(2012 WINNER)
House of Cards
Mad Men

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Connie Britton, Nashville
Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards
…BUT NO TATIANA MASLANY?!

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (2012 WINNER)
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Morena Baccarin, Homeland
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Jonathan Banks, Breaking Bad
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (2012 WINNER)
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey

Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal

OUTSTANDING COMEDY
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Girls
Louie
Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Veep

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Laura Dern, Enlightened
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Louis CK, Louie
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Jane Lynch, Glee
Julie Bowen, Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie

Louis CK, Saturday Night Live
Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Will Forte, 30 Rock

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Betty White, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars (2012 WINNER)
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Anthony Bourdain, The Taste

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW COMPETITION
The Amazing Race (2012 WINNER)
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance
Top Chef
The Voice

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC, OR COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (2012 WINNER)
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
Real Time With Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live

OUTSTANDING TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
American Horror Story: Asylum
Behind the Candelabra
The Bible
Phil Spector
Political Animals
Top of the Lake

LEAD ACTRESS IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum (2012 WINNER in Supporting category)
Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Zachary Quinto, American Horror Story: Asylum
Scott Bakula, Behind The Candelabra
John Benjamin Hickey, The Big C: hereafter
Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 22, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. CBS is broadcasting this year’s show, with How I Met Your Mother’s Neil Patrick Harris serving as host. Visit Deadline for the complete list of nominations.

1. rio says:

Will no one ever notice one of the best comedies and casts on television: The Middle? And I think Betty White’s silly little skits on her prank show were unbearable–yet somehow she’s up for best reality host. On the plus side: someone besides me saw that great Benedict Cumberbatch performance in Parade’s End. But then they overlooked Rebecca Hall, his co-star, and equally as good.

2. Alana says:

Monica Potter should’ve been nominated. She won the CCTA in this very category. I’m so upset she isn’t being recognized for her incredible work.

• KathyNYC says:

Me too. I can’t believe it. Well I can – Parenthood doesn’t get the respect it truly deserves. Grrrr.

3. anna says:

Seriously? So many for Modern Family but none for Ron Swanson? Parks and Rec deserved more recognition, and the Newsroom much less. As in none.

• noo says:

nbc has great programming that nobody watches anymore, that is why ron swanson and abed nadir and a slew of other great characters will never be recognized outside of the internet!

4. Blair says:

I cannot believe Tatiana Maslany was not nominated! She beat out all these nominees for the critics’ choice award, for pete’s sake! Heck, she plays supporting parts too – at least nominate her for best supporting actress. And seriously, if they were going to play politics, Elisabeth Moss was nominated for Top of the Lake – take her out of the BA Category and play the game voting game. Terrible travesty, tragedy, and bias against sci-fi/Canadian shows.

5. gabby says:

No nikolaj coster waldau? no Michelle Fairley, Emmy’s you disappoint me again, it’s always the same with you.

6. Steph says:

Lame. No love for The Americans?

Also, I must not watch the “popular” shows, because after looking through this list, there’s maybe 5 shows that I watch from it.

7. Marcella says:

Maggie Q
    Tatiana Maslany
    Emmy Rossum
    Kerry Russell
    Monica Potter
    Jennifer Carpenter

All deserved and didn’t get nominations for their work.

8. KathyNYC says:

No Monica Potter? Well that sucks big time.

9. Sandra says:

No Tatiana Maslany?????? I don’t get it.

10. Joey says:

Happy Breaking Bad and 30 Rock got a couple Emmy nods. Happy Vera Farmiga, Jason Bateman, Elisbeth Moss, and Amy Poehler got Emmy nods. upset Monica Potter, Michael Cudlitz, and Fringe didn’t get Emmy nods.

11. R says:

NOTHING for New Girl?!?! REALLY?!?!?! This is the best comedy on tv and this season was PHENOMENAL. Absolutely ridiculous.

12. Amy says:

STOP with the Modern Family nods! Why does EVERY actor on that show need to be nominated each year? It takes away so many other spots. Each year I hope that other people from Parks and Rec will be nominated, but that will never happen as long as Modern Family continuously gets so many spots.

• Shannon says:

THANK YOU!! I’m starting to hate this show just for this reason. It’s like a couple years ago when 30 Rock would win everything and it was so annoying as well.

13. Soraya says:

I’m not surprised there were so many snubs. I gave up on the Emmy’s a while back when Community didn’t get a single nomination for it’s second season. It’s always going to be a popularity contest and not an actual judgement on whether a show is good or not regardless of it’s genre or ratings.

14. Alex M. says:

I’ve fully given up hope that they would ever nominate ‘Sons of Anarchy’ … I get it they hate Kurt Sutter, but to snub ‘Orphan Black’ as well, only goes to prove these people are blind to talent. Tatiana Maslany has given a performance well deserving of all the accolades she can get. This was a travesty.

15. effie says:

how can you nominate Connie Britton as best lead actress for Nashville but snub Hayden Panettierre for supporting actress? Hayden’s Juliette steals the show every week. I guess Connie is still getting recognized for Friday Night Lights.

overall I’m disappointed in these nominations. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell have been robbed, and I’m bummed there’s no love for New Girl which I fell in love with this season. and would it kill them to give Kaley Cuoco a nod for BBT?

otoh, I’m pleasantly surprised by Adam Driver getting a nomination for Girls! happy about Behjnd The Candelabra’s nominations too, but those were expected.

16. Rebecca says:

Apparently the shows I enjoy just suck, very few of them were nominated.

17. hana says:

I hope when John Noble wins his first Oscar, he thanks the Television Academy.

18. Marco says:

Is it just me, or the shows are always the same ones? Like, where are the new ones? Also, why didn’t Naya Rivera get a nomination? She’s been the BEST actress on Glee, this year.

19. Kenny says:

I looked at the full list and The Office Finale got a writing nod…and Smash got a few music nods :)

And I fully expect to see Hannibal in like 10 categories next year, i don’t believe it was eligible this year cause it aired a little late

20. noo says:

So very happy for Bobby Cannavale, I don’t watch nurse jackie but his work on boardwalk empire is freakin’ fantastic :D

21. Sam says:

Someone let me know when the Emmy’s start caring about actual talent.

22. Maya says:

JUSTIFIED. Where is JUSTIFIED?

23. Mareesa says:

I’m sick of seeing the same nominees year after year in most of these categories. Give other deserving actors and shows a chance. And no one from Justified?! Come on.

24. sarah says:

I’m glad to see 30 Rock get nominated, it was well deserved. I am however disappointed in the fact that Mariska Hargitay and SVU yet again have been snubbed. Mariska has undeniable talent and the writing this year has been better than previous years but yet again has been left out. A total disappointment

25. Joe R says:

Wait, I thought “American Horror Story: Asylum” had to go into the Series category this year since it’s a second season, just like “Downton Abbey” had to last year. What gives?

26. Kathy Bergeron says:

Not one single actor or actress from anything I watch was nominated. So glad I stopped watching awards shows years ago. Hollywood egotists stroking each other—what a farce.

• Mareesa says:

100% agree with your statement. I stopped watching as well. They are full of themselves and only prop up the sane few year after year. Ridiculous and a shame.

27. I watch many shows but only 2 are nominated for an Emmy….
    does that say something about my taste in series?

28. Leonie1988 says:

Parenthood is once again legt in The roadside. Not only does Potter deserve a nod, but Lauren Graham is looking overdue!
    I am very happy about Anna Chlumsky’s nomination though, she is the reason (and JLD) that I watch Veep!

29. igo says:

New girl is much funnier than tbbt or girls especially this season but got no love from the voters, I like parenthood and scandal, but monica potter is a more deserving nominee than kerry washington.
    Glee is increasing in the acting noms this year! The biggest suprise tbh

30. MrsTV says:

There are a lot of reasons to be upset over these nominations. Omissions such as Juliana Margulies and Hayden Panatierre, major network shows in general, genre programs such as The Walking Dead, and gritty shows like Sons of Anarchy.

31. sabrina says:

So glad for all the nominations for Homeland.

32. Mark says:

It’s time to retire the Emmy Awards and bring back the Cable ACE awards.

33. D says:

BBC rarely gets a nominee. The Emmy site doesn’t even have the network in their search function. I dunno how many programs they send in the Emmys. I was surprised with The Hour being nominated this year. BBC America has Copper in there too (although I can let this go since it’s a BBCA original and not from the UK). If BBC had nominees in the past, perhaps Steven Moffat and/or Doctor Who would have been nominated, or even short-listed. Hopefully, though, with The Hour and Copper this year, it will continue on in the years to come. :)

34. Lisa says:

Probably most upset about no Timothy Olyphant, he was fantastic AGAIN this season. Don’t have a problem with no Julianna Marguiles, but Britton and Washington? No disrespect but Washington is terrible (even though I love Scandal) and I turned off Nashville midway thru ep 3 it was so bad.

And I am perfectly ok with the Netflix originals getting noms, but next season if I don’t see some writing and cast nominations from Orange is the New Black I will be very upset. That show is incredibly acted and written, especially Taylor Kritsch and Natasha Lyonne.

35. Oh My, a whole lotta @$$ kissin’ this time around…

36. Jen says:

What happened to Monica Potter?! She seemed to be a lock for at least a nom :(

37. jennifer says:

What about castle they never get nominated for anything stana and Nathan should have been

38. Leonie1988 says:

And Hannibal? Hugh and Mads for lead and Gillian Anderson for guest! They were so amazing :(

39. katya says:

No southland?!?!

40. Mingus says:

Where is Justified ?? It did not get a single nomination? Best show on TV! It had another stellar year almost as good as pitch perfect season 2, with Timothy Olyphant doing his best work yet as deputy marshal Raylan Givens and Walton Goggins.

41. Katie says:

No Hannibal? Surely Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen deserve some recognition.

42. Cable Television says:

…and the death of network television has officially been confirmed

43. Amanda says:

No New Girl or HIMYM? What the heck.

44. Emma says:

I don’t understand all the love for Downton Abbey and especially the male cast. There are so many better perfomances than Hugh Bonneville. Would have loved nominations for Aden Young and Rectify instead.

45. Martha says:

Why is no one outraged that Simon Helberg got snubbed? He did an amazing job this season, just to mention the episode with the letter from his dad and the penultimate episode, with the D&D.
    that sucks a big time.
    I’m a big Fringe fan, but I don’t really care about Anna Torv not getting a nom, she did her best acting in season 3, John Noble, however, is another case, he got snubbed every single year, including this one!

46. sam says:

The way they snubbed Tatiana stinks, but it was expected. The problem is that some of the nominations are baffling in the extreme. Connie Britton? Emilia Clarke? What a joke!

47. adamcala1234 says:

All I have to say is Peter Dinklage!!!!!

48. adamcala1234 says:

All I have to say is Peter Dinklage!!!!!!

49. Chris says:

Why does Peter Dinklage keep gettings nominations for supporting actor when he’s first billed in the cast?

50. Alex H says:

I swear if Modern Family wins it again I might throw something at my television. That show has not deserved that award in years. Emmy people decided that Modern Family was better than New Girl?! In those very rare cases, I believe that the people probably would have been better off handing out nomination than those people. I’m sick of them overlooking great actor because of the genre their show is in (John Noble) and I’m sick of them picking shows they know aren’t as good as they used to be (Modern Family) and not giving credit to shows that do deserve it like Parks and Recreations or New Girl just to name a few. I think I’m better off skipping it this year, I was looking at the snubs and figured those would have been better nominations than some of the one we got.