Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: Horror Story, Thrones, Liberace and 30 Rock Lead Pack; House of Cards, Scandal and Political Animals Score Nods

Emmy NominationsNominations for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced Thursday morning by Breaking Bad boy Aaron Paul and three-time Emmy winner/How I Met Your Mother star/2013 Emmys host Neil Patrick Harris.

American Horror Story: Asylum scared up the most nods of anyone, amassing 17 total (including for Outstanding Miniseries and frontwoman Jessica Lange), while Game of Thrones followed closely with 16.

On the comedy front, 30 Rocks farewell run netted 13 total noms, followed by Modern Family‘s 12 and The Big Bang Theory‘s eight.

By network, HBO dominated with 108 total nominations, followed — distantly — by CBS and NBC, which each tallied 53.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: TVLine Lists the 45 Biggest Snubs!

Of note, Lead Comedy Actress contender Julia Louis-Dreyfus made Emmy history by besting Lucille Ball’s mark of 13 career noms; Scandal converted its buzz into possible bling, with a pair of nods (including for Kerry Washington); and both Netflix’s House of Cards and USA Network’s passed-on Political Animals reaped votes.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: Read Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements!

Here is the list of the major nominees. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with utter euphoria… or over-expressed outrage. (It’s the Internet, so we’re conservatively predicting 60 percent “outrage.”)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
(2012 WINNER)
House of Cards
Mad Men

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Connie Britton, Nashville
Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards
…BUT NO TATIANA MASLANY?!

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (2012 WINNER)
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Morena Baccarin, Homeland
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Jonathan Banks, Breaking Bad
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (2012 WINNER)
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey

Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal

OUTSTANDING COMEDY
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Girls
Louie
Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Veep

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Laura Dern, Enlightened
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Louis CK, Louie
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Jane Lynch, Glee
Julie Bowen, Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie

Louis CK, Saturday Night Live
Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Will Forte, 30 Rock

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Betty White, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars (2012 WINNER)
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Anthony Bourdain, The Taste

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW COMPETITION
The Amazing Race (2012 WINNER)
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance
Top Chef
The Voice

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC, OR COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (2012 WINNER)
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
Real Time With Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live

OUTSTANDING TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
American Horror Story: Asylum
Behind the Candelabra
The Bible
Phil Spector
Political Animals
Top of the Lake

LEAD ACTRESS IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum (2012 WINNER in Supporting category)
Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Zachary Quinto, American Horror Story: Asylum
Scott Bakula, Behind The Candelabra
John Benjamin Hickey, The Big C: hereafter
Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 22, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. CBS is broadcasting this year’s show, with How I Met Your Mother’s Neil Patrick Harris serving as host. Visit Deadline for the complete list of nominations.

1. Jamie says:

No Walking Dead nominations??!! Andrew Lincoln was phenomenal this season!! As was Norman Reedus!!!

• Vince says:

I can’t believe it either! The Walking Dead is the number one show on non-network television and has many wonderful actors, who have given some amazing performances. To not have one nominated is absolutely a disgrace.

• Olive says:

Um, that show is problematic. It has the potential to be a great show but falls short because of the kinks in the writing they have yet to work out.

2. Rachel says:

SERIOUSLY!?!?! Not even Max Greenfield!?!?!?

GAWD!

3. Super happy to see #Homeland #Scandal #BreakingBad #BigBangTheory make the cut Only notable omission is Tatiana (#OrphanBlack).

4. Sara says:

Jennifer Carpenter gets snitched – again. Thank god for nominating Jessica Lange.

5. ani7 says:

I need to see Jennifer carpenter nominated!

6. Liz says:

No Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, New Girl, Major Crimes…although I am excited to see Jason Bateman in the line up – however, this wasn’t his best AD season…but good to see the show getting a nod…given that AD and House of Cards weren’t on TV at all, the Emmy’s are really changing with the times and that tends to shut out regular network TV…this really amps up the competition.

7. GS says:

I’m over the Emmy’s. Same freaking shows and people nominated all the time and it’s always cable shows. How in the crap did Jeff Perry not get nominated for Scandal?? I’m thrilled for Kerry but really he killed every single scene he was in. I guess you have to be on a Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, etc to get any love. And how exactly did Jason Bateman get a nod when Arrested Development isn’t even on tv; it’s on Netflix??? Just waiting for all the Modern Family people to be added in the supporting comedy categories and it’ll be the same old same old. Ridiculous bunch of crap.

• Dizzle says:

As AD is still a “television show” (at least by archaic definitions of the term) it’s eligible, as is House Of Cards (which got quite a few more nominations than AD). Hemlock Grove would’ve been eligible too, but I mean….. that show was a mess, so no surprise it’s not listed here!

• HeatherC says:

I’m bummed by the lack of Jeff Perry too along with the lack of Robert Carlyle who was awesome this year on OUAT. =(

• Grace says:

I agree, disappointed Perry didn’t get a nom. Also was hoping for some Hannibal love.

8. Jessica says:

What does Parenthood have to do to get some love? This season was amazing!!! I cried at the end of every single episode. From Monica Potter’s story line to the drama with Drew and Amber and their respective significant others.

9. Avery says:

Love Emilia Clarke and thrilled to see her recognized, but IMO Michelle Fairley deserved it for “The Rains of Castamere” alone. Very sad to see her name left off the list.

10. HL Intern says:

No Jennifer Carpenter–terrible.

• Dizzle says:

Yep, this. Hopefully Dexter’s final season will nab her one next year! Although it’ll be the last year for Mad Men too….. :/

11. Oliviabensen12 says:

Too bad Tatiana didn’t get nominated but I am soooo happy Anna Torv didn’t get nominated. she doesn’t deserve anything. I don’t care how many characters she played.

12. Marcella says:

You know I stopped watching awards show a few years ago because the nominations are so bogus, but I still feel bad for the actors and actresses who continually get overlooked because they are not on a buzz-worthy primetime show. Timothy Olyphant, Matthew Rhys, Hugh Dancy, Tatiana Maslany, Kerry Russell, all deserved nominations. And I’m not saying that Connie Britton is not a good actress but seriously, what did she do on Nashville that rated her being chosen over TM or KR?

13. Ray says:

So happy that Emilia Clarke got a nomination! But still, I want MICHELLE FAIRLEY, sigh.

14. Dizzle says:

No great surprises, although it would’ve been nice to see less of the Modern Family cast and more of the Arrested Development cast in the supporting categories. So glad Emilia Clarke’s been recognised for a sterling season on Game Of Thrones!

15. ryan says:

I cant believe the emmys overlooked jennifer carpenter she was amazing last season and even better this season wtf and how does the big bang theory get all these nominations the show is god awful

16. JJ says:

@MATT WEBB MITOVICH

You missed Sofia Vergara in supporting actress in the comedy series…. she is in the official list of nominees

17. JJ says:

Loads of snubs, especially in the lead actress category, but I’m gonna be positive and praise something unexpected – Emilia Clarke ( whose still a newcomer in the industry) GOT NOMINATED !!!!! :D

Good Job Emmys ( although she deserved a nod in S1 as well, but better late than never)

• JJ says:

Also, Yay for all the Veep love. It was seriously the funniest and most underrated ( until now) comedy on tv.

Glad Tony and Anna got nods for some great and understated work :)

18. Brigette says:

Upset that there was no love for Parenthood or any of the cast, The Office, that there weren’t more nominations for Arrested Development, but what it most infuriating is there was no nomination for JENNIFER F-ING CARPENTER! I can’t take any establishment seriously that doesn’t see how amazing she is. I can’t.

19. Theresa says:

SO ANNOYED by the oversight of Tatiana Maslany and Monica Potter for acting noms, and Parks & Rec for outstanding comedy. So over Big Bang Theory and Modern Family.

20. Amy says:

Yes to Emilia Clarke. And while the best actress list is a tough crowd, Emmy Rossum still deserves a place for Shameless last season.

• Marcella says:

Yes!! How much longer will Emmy Rossum be overlooked? She’s being treated like the female version of John Noble. Ugh!!!!

21. cc says:

Yay for Dan Bucatinsky! Totally deserved and relatively surprising nom!

22. Polly says:

as much as i love episodes and bbt, this year noms for leblanc and parsons are not deserved.

23. Cheri says:

I used to love the Emmys. Now, you have to pay for premium cable to know any of the nominees’ work. So frustrating.

24. Miv says:

The Political Animals nominations make me so happy! I mean, they’ll never win, but still. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who remembers that show existing.

25. Rebecca Hindle says:

Umm so happy for Connie Britton :-)
    Its a cracking show and I love it popular in UK.

ALSO WHY IS MARISKA NOT NOMINATED AND WHY IS SVU NOT NOMINATED WTF STOP SNUBBING GREAT ACTING.

26. EndOfTime says:

so surprised Eric Stonestreet is not nominated wow
    I’m really sad for Jeff Perry, he deserved one nom’
    Happy for Kerry Washington, well deserved

27. soldierdown says:

One of the only noms I really wanted was for Jennifer Carpenter in Dexter, it’s criminal she hasn’t ever been nominated before and she was especially incredible last season. At least she was one more chance next year I suppose.

Saying that, I am really glad Jane Krakowski got another nom for 30 Rock. As it really is her last chance for it I really hope she gets it this time!

28. cc says:

How Hayden Panettiere didn’t get a nom is beyond me. That girl is absolutely superb!

29. Ashleah Youn says:

No love for New Girl. :(

30. Alicia says:

I can NOT believe that Parenthood got no nominations, especially Monica & Peter, except that I can actually believe it. I would actually love to see separate Emmy’s anymore. There are several shows on “cable” that I don’t watch. We don’t subscribe to HBO or Showtime. While I’m sure I’d love those shows, there are so many on the Networks that I feel are still worthy of being recognized.

31. RBotha says:

No Hannibal?!? Hugh Dancy and Mads were incredible. Only because it’s on a network it gets overlooked.

32. Stef says:

New Girl??? Parenthood???? SERIOUSLY!

33. Rico says:

I agree, the emmys are always the same. And a lot of good shows were left out…where is zooey’s nom for new girl, where is new girl’s nom, mindy’s nom for the Mindy project, definitely disappointed in the noms this year.

34. marlyne says:

Disappointed Tatiana Maslany wasn’t nominated. Shame

35. Sabrina says:

No Tatiana Maslany or Jennifer Carpenter?! This is horrible..

36. Courtney says:

Overall, I’m pretty disappointed with the nominations. I’m happy because Breaking Bad is the best show on televison, and it got so many nominations. But I’m so tired of seeing the same names on these lists, over and over. I’m incredibly disappointed that New Girl, Monica Potter, The Americans (both leads, esp. Keri), and The Good Wife (Julianna!) weren’t nominated. Extremely disappointed.

37. Kara says:

Monica Potter deserves best supporting actress hands down!!! I can’t believe they didn’t even nominate her. smh :(

38. marge says:

7 in the dramatic actress category? Really?! Was there a tie or something?
    Super happy for:
    Amy Poehler – 3 of her 6 fellow noms are multiple winners. ITS HER TIME ALREADY!
    Kerry Washington
    Jane Krakowski – counting on Emmys to snub her out of the win :(

And always with the disappointment:
    No Parks and Rec for Comedy Series
    No Michelle Fairley and Monica Potter
    The Modern Family takeover all the time always. (they’re not ALL that great every season!)

They really should split cable tv and network tv in the major categories – because, contrary to popular belief, network tv has some really great performances and solid tv viewing too. But the ATAS are up the ass of cable tv (which I will not argue, most of those shows are damn good). But because there is more creative freedom on cable the cable shows, I think it makes a big difference. Split this stuff up!

39. Gwen says:

Happy to see Benedict Cumberbatch get a nomination…but I would have been happier if it had been for “Sherlock” which is an amazing show.

40. M says:

I was hoping for some Sam Waterston love or at least more for The Americans. Ah well…

41. Joey says:

Shocked at the new girl neglect…really? Season 2 was amazing…

• NancyRay says:

Agreed! New Girl was one of the highest rated shows this year! Again, these awards shows never actually care about the audience who watches the shows.

42. Julie says:

Monica Potter and Sarah Paulson were snubbed.

43. No Emmy love for Monica Potter or Peter Krause for Parenthood? Really???? REALLY??!!!!

44. daisy5 says:

I get that there are disappointments every year, but I cannot comprehend how Nick Offerman doesn’t have a nomination. He is brilliant as Ron Swenson. His scene this year of trying to eat a banana had me crying because I was laughing so hard, and he did the whole scene without a word.

45. Ashley says:

I’m so over the whole Modern Family thing. That show has really lost its luster. I wish Parks & Rec would get its recognition, anything for anyone from Shameless would have been nice (I mean, I kinda like Episodes, but really?), the list goes on and on. But I’m happy about Adam Driver being nominated, Merritt Wever, Melissa McCarthy, and my favorite new show this year, House of Cards.

46. Kat says:

Really happy with all the Downton Abbey nods :)

47. Viv says:

Well, there are so many suprises. *irony off* I´m really happy about Poltical Animals. I liked the series.
    Disappointed about The Good Wife, but… well, strong competition. But Julianna Marguelis without nom??? I don´t like her very much, but personally I think she desvered one over Kerry Washington.
    So, I´m looking forward for the ceremony… if only for variety series. I´d like to see the 11th award in a row for the Daily Show. ;)

48. Treme, Parenthood, Family Tree, Hannibal, Orange is The New Black, Fringe, completely ignored at the Emmys. ANGRY! Not surprised.

49. DavidSask says:

No Orphan Black, that is not fair, doesn’t matter what network on deserved nominations!

50. Kiernan says:

As expected the same actors and shows that have been nominated year after year after year. Well done Emmy voters, you’ve been consistently predictable and narrow-minded. You can bet the only part I’ll be tuning in for is Neil Patrick Harris’ opening number!