Ratings: Whose Line Is It Anyway? Bows Big, as MLB All-Star Game Tops Night

Ratings Whose Line is it AnywayWhose Line Is It Anyway? sure improv’d The CW’s lot.

Premiering to 2.9 million total viewers, the reboot delivered the network’s second-most watched series launch since Sept. 2011 (trailing only Arrow) and its biggest audience in the time slot since Nov. 2009 — all while batting against the MLB All-Star Game.

The CW also notes that Whose Line scored the network’s best 18-34 demo rating for a premiere since Sept. 2011, and only trailed the All-Star Game in that measure from 8 to 9. In 18-49, the show scored a 1.1.

RELATED | Save the Dates: Your July Calendar of More than 70 Premieres and Finales

Leading out of that, the premiere of The CW’s Perfect Score dating thing retained all of 890,000 viewers, while mustering a 0.3 demo. And I thought I had bad dates.

Topping Tuesday in both total viewers and in the 18-49 demo was Fox’s coverage of the aforementioned MLB All-Star Game, which featured an ubere-Mo-tional tip of the cap to Yankees closer extraordinaire Mariano Rivera. Final, reportable numbers for the live sporting event won’t be in for a while yet, but prelim data suggests the telecast was on par with last year’s record low.

Elsewhere, ABC’s Extreme Weight Loss (3.5 mil/1.1) dipped a bit and NBC’s America’s Got Talent (9.8 mil/2.5) ticked down a tenth.

1. Elyse says:

was Whose Line any good??

• Betty says:

I watched it, and enjoyed it. I was a fan of the old edition so I checked it out. It is pretty much the same as the old version. I laughed out loud a few times. I would watch it again.

• liz says:

Yup! I loved the old version and the new ones are great. Aisha is a great host

• Midori says:

Very good, it felt like the old show, being only Drew was missing and that’s not a huge deal. Even Laura Hall (the music director) was there. It wasn’t perfect, but neither were the other versions, but it was funny, and that’s all I need.

The only have three minor complaints…

1.The set is the most ugly thing I have ever seen. Thankfully you don’t see the ugliness most of the time.

2. They had a guest to fill the 4th seat, but they also had celebrity guests that were in more skits. They need to use one or the other because it’s not fair to the 4th seat filler.

3. They used the line “The show is made up and the points don’t matter”, i didn’t like that line before and I don’t know. They also had weird editing, for commercial breaks.

But all together they need to make it a full time show. Get rid of the normal female only CW crap and have a comedy night, or even a nice dramedy to go with it.

• DreamRose311 says:

The celebrity guest seems to be more like when they used to pick someone from the audience occasionally.

• dude says:

They kind of used the audience in that bag skit.

• Midori says:

But the celebrity guest was used more than the person in the 4th seat, and that’s not fair. The old show used celebrities for 1 skit, 4-5 minutes of the show, not the whole thing.

• MrMank says:

I think as long as person 4 gets his/her paycheck, I’m sure everything’s “fair”. I’ll agree it is awkward, though. I personally would like to see these celebrity guests go toe-to-toe with the big boys. Kevin McHale was actually really funny.

• hana says:

I don’t really miss Drew. I also think the show needs a female presence other than the token, underused female comedians they used to have on. Aisha Tyler definitely fits the bill.

• Emma says:

Totally agree about the celebrity guest. I liked that the old Whose Line had one rotating guest spot so they could highlight other comedians. This reboot either needs to axe the celeb guest and utilize their fourth comedian, or get rid of the fourth comedian and have a celeb guest each week (and who knows how long that can run for). I didn’t like seeing the fourth comedian in only one or two skits, it seemed pointless to have them on the show at that rate.

It was a really good first showing, but the celeb guest segments really bugged me.

• Lindsey says:

I totally agree they should keep the celebrity guest on for the whole episode. the first celebrity guest didnt do much but Kevin McHale was great. They could have really used him alot more in the episode. Hopefully they work out the kinks.

• ben says:

Yeah, but they could easily just make Kevin McHale the fourth chair instead… mix up the fourth chair between comedians and celebrities – or even have 5 chairs – rather than what they did which feels kinda awkward. But I can’t really complian, so so good to have Whose Line back. Lets hope the strong premiere is an indicator that we will get much more of it!

• J says:

oh man the “The show where everything is made up and the points don’t matter” line was definitely overkill. Saying it after every commercial break was wayy too much. Overall I liked the show though, I think aisha’s long-winded intro (everything is completely made up blah blah blah its amazing to watch) was too long but hopefully she cuts it down

• The set isn’t suppose to be beautiful, its suppose to be like a blank canvas so your focus is on the performers and nothing else, that way you get lost into the scene and not the set. The reason why they probably have a guest, for the first season, is so they attract younger viewers, as they are launching a brand new show. Plus these are just guests, they can be hits and misses so you never know if they actually work out. Like Lauren Cohan, was a miss but Kevin McHale was so much better.

Plus I think Kevin was unexpectedly really good, so they decided to use more of him.

• Gordon says:

Yeah, Kevin McHale especially was really great as a celebrity guest. I was surprised.

• kavyn says:

I don’t care much for Aisha’s hosting, but the cast is still phenomenal and I found myself laughing like I did with the old episodes. The only thing bothering me is the whole “let’s introduce a celebrity instead of including the audience” stuff.

2. Midori says:

Best lines from Whose Line….

“Things not to say in a hair commercial…”
    *Three bald men stand there and say nothing*

“What not to say if running for office…”
    “I don’t care about those 47%.”

• lll says:

Another good line:
      “Things you wouldn’t hear in a weight loss commercial..”
      There is no hope for you.

• Angela says:

That “47%” one was great. All the “Scenes From A Hat” stuff was hilarious-that’s always been one of their best games and I’m glad to see it’s still as funny as ever.
      I loved the shows last night, I thought Aisha did fine as a host, the guest celebrities were fun (I agree with what others are saying about balancing both the fourth comedian and the guest celebrity, if not picking one over the other, but I still enjoyed the guests nonetheless-it’d be kinda neat to see who else might show up), Ryan, Colin, and Wayne still had that classic chemistry…very entertaining and funny. I’m glad to hear the show got such strong ratings.

3. Andy says:

Whose Line was great last night. I’m happy to see that the numbers reflect that.

4. Ralph Hartman says:

I thought the 1st episode with Lauren Cohan was definitely stronger then the 2nd episode with the guy from Glee.

5. Jill says:

It was pretty good. I laughed out loud several times. I do miss Drew as host though. I’m not saying Aisha did a bad job. She did well. Just feels like there’s a little something something though.

6. a says:

But Arrow premiered in Sept. 2012, not 2011

7. PJinNH says:

Really enjoyed watching it, but they do have a ways to go to top the original version (especially the episode with Richard Simmons). Jet Ski anyone?

8. dude says:

It was really good and it did damn good for the CW.

9. NCSouthernBelle says:

LOVED IT! Whose Line is it Anyway was a favorite around my house when I was a teenager, and I thought last night’s shows were fabulous. I agree with a previous poster; I don’t like that the fourth comedian gets left out for so many skits in place of a celebrity guest. I also really missed the hoe down. All in all though, Wayne, Colin and Ryan are still as great as ever and I’m so thrilled Whose Line is back.

10. Bob says:

Oh, WoW, look over there, it’s The CW network. I thought you disappeared ages ago!

11. Brendan says:

Whose Line was alright… Don’t like this whole guest “star” gimmick and would love to see more audience participation (She should have asked the audience what style of song Wayne should sing instead of just saying Gospel). I also don’t like the whole reading the credits thing at the end.

12. Midori says:

The show is based on the British version. Their host doesn’t do games (rarely) and the “winner” reads the credits in a crazy way.

13. captain hair says:

Good start. Don’t need a guest every episode. I hope they include Brad, Chip, Proopsy, etc. I see Jeff’s name on a list though. Most of those people could sing with Wayne and that was great not just Wane singing by himself. They should have a hoedown and irish drinking song to end. I never liked the reading of the credits.
    Bring back Richard SImmons!!!! And involve the audience in moving scenery and dubbing. Those were classics.
    The best part about Drew was his infectious laugh, he kinda sucked otherwise. When Aisha laughs, the audience seems to be overpowering and you can’t hear her. she will be good.

14. Babybop says:

The Sideways Scene sketch made me die laughing. In my opinion, I think that Kevin Mchale did waaaaay better than Lauren Cohen did.

15. Ed says:

The popcorn bit was amazing, and McHale took it extremely well. Overall, I thought they didn’t miss a beat, and the show was fantastic. These ratings are great news, because it hopefully means the show will be getting another season with more episodes!

16. DavidSask says:

Perfect Score was horrid, how did this make network, make it the flopped syndicate FOX show it should be!!

17. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with helpful info to work on. You have performed an impressive job and our entire community will likely be grateful to you.

18. Michael says:

Honestly im already sick of the Celeb guests.I miss the audience being involved, the hoedowns, and the drew jokes. However we are only 5 episodes in so maybe they will start to open up. I think the first 10 episodes were to try some new and old things to see what people liked and didnt like since its been off for years. The cast will never get old. I love Wayne, Colin and Ryan. I would enjoy the 4th comedian being a bigger part and making the celeb guests a rare appearance. (Hopefully Drew Will Be A Celeb Guest) I can’t wait for the Hoedowns, Party Querks, Irish Drinking Songs, and the more Drew version. I really hope Aisha will participate in the final skit like drew used to. I think she is a really good host and can start feeling more comfortable cracking jokes on the cast and being cracked on by them as well) All in all ive been waiting for Whose Line to come back and could watch the old reruns all day. Hopefully the show takes its audience into consideration

• captain hair says:

great comments michael
      The audience participation was brilliant and there were some memorable skits. I too love Irish drinking songs. Colin has said that they will do one hoedown in the initial run, so I’m waiting for that. I also agree that the 4th comic should have more of a part to the show and have fewer “special guests”. unless the show gets money for featuring people from other shows…. hmmm…..