Post Mortem: Covert Affairs Bosses on Arthur's [Spoiler], Auggie's Secret and a CIA Shake-Up

Covert Affairs Spoilers Arthur's SonWarning: The following contains major spoilers from Tuesday’s season premiere of Covert Affairs. Proceed at your own risk!

Covert Affairs certainly delivered on its promise of big secrets during its Season 4 premiere Tuesday night.

First off, Arthur’s a dad — twice over! Not only was his grown-up, secret child uncovered, but Joan was revealed to be carrying a bun in the oven, too. Meanwhile, Auggie revealed to new girlfriend Annie that he knew about the mystery man all this time — but he and Arthur are keeping something even larger close to their chests. Then, the man in charge resigned from his post at the CIA. Phew!

Below, executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord preview what all the changes and revelations mean for the characters going forward.

RELATED | Covert Affairs Season 4 Spoilers — Zuleikha Robinson Cast as Defense Attorney

TVLINE | Arthur has a son! That’s a huge thing. Can you talk about the thinking behind that storyline and the direction it’s going in?
MATT CORMAN | Talk about a secret – an adult son, who, by the way, is in a terrorist group. We just thought that it’d be interesting to introduce that powerful a secret. Where it’s going is he’ll be in more of the story. Manolo Cardona, who is a fantastic Colombian actor, will be interfacing with our other characters in a major way. He and Arthur have a very complicated relationship, and we’ll see more of that as we go through the season.

TVLINE | There’s always been political intrigue surrounding Arthur, but at this point, is he even a good guy anymore?
CORMAN | That’s a great question. In our minds, everybody lives in the gray a little bit, if you’re in the spy world. There’s no one who is completely pure, and there’s no one who’s completely evil. Arthur is still a hero and a patriot, but he’s a human being, and he’s a man. He’s made some mistakes, and a lot of what this season is about, to a certain extent, is redemption.

RELATED | Suits Season 3 Spoilers — James McCaffrey Cast as Harvey’s Father

TVLINE | Is Joan also going to be keeping her pregnancy a secret for a while?
CHRIS ORD | There’s only so long you can keep that a secret. [Laughs] It starts to show after a while.
CORMAN | Yeah, at a certain point, it’ll come out, and then they’ll have to deal with that.

Covert Affairs Season 4 SpoilersTVLINE | How will Arthur react to that news?
ORD | He’s happy, ultimately, and I don’t think that’s a spoiler we mind giving. But it’s complicated, and it’s coming at a difficult time for their marriage and for him, personally. Life comes at you in funny ways at funny times, and they just have a lot on their plate.

TVLINE | Will Joan sense that there’s something off, that Arthur is holding on to something?
ORD | Yeah. A lot of these questions are what [Episode] 402 is about – a lot of clarity on the Joan/Arthur marriage and their secrets. In many ways, we explain a lot and reset a lot for them in that episode.

TVLINE | With Arthur resigning, what’s next for him, and who’s in charge now at the CIA?
CORMAN | That was another reason we – not why we did it — but it was something fun to explore after an event like this… that there is a power vacuum. Who’s going to fill it? Who’s going to fill the spots that are left by the person who fills it? That was a way of shaking up the CIA, internally, and creating some movement within the building that we hadn’t yet seen before.

RELATED | Psych Season 8 Casts Mira Sorvino

TVLINE | There’s obviously more to the story with Auggie and Arthur and what he knows. Is there anything you can hint about where that storyline is headed?
ORD | Well, Arthur and Auggie have a strong relationship, but it’s certainly being tested this season. And Auggie has got a huge secret that’s going to affect his relationship with Annie and with Arthur. That’s really the rich stuff in that storyline.

TVLINE | Even though Auggie is still keeping a lot from Annie, she did learn quite a bit of information in this episode. What is she going to do with all of that?
CORMAN | Well, it’s Annie, right? She’s going to want to follow it down and learn more. She has a thirst for the truth that goes fairly deep. She also has that tenacity that’s not going to prevent her from looking into things. Annie’s search for the truth in all this is really what the season’s about.

1. prish says:

I am waiting for a series with Arthur and Joan , and not with a downer direction. They are fun to watch when doing the cool, save the team thing.

2. I’m mainly interested in what huge secret Auggie’s keeping, especially if it’s a personal one.

• Brendan says:

isn’t it obvious. The big secret is that he’s not really blind.

• Oliviabensen12 says:

If auggie isn’t blind, why the charade for 4 years Annie has known him? but hey, better that than some stupid secret that will make Annie be passive aggressive and hate on auggie as well as the audience. And hopefully Annie doesn’t cry about it.

• The secret is that he was married (though I don’t think it was a genuine marriage – could be wrong though). Some bits of scripts were leaked recently. They’re genuine because they also revealed that Joan was pregnant.

• newsrealtor says:

I am thinking that Auggie is not actually blind r he is just a bad actor, becuase sometimes when the series shows you can sometimes see how Auggie is looking at people like he is eye to eye with them> So his secret is probably that he was never blind.

3. Sar says:

The way the season opened with a scene clearly from the finale is intriguing. However, can we call it now that if you show both Annie and Calder with guns pointed at each other THIS early in the game, I am fairly confident in calling that they are not intending to shoot each other. Auggie’s secret is going to drive me crazy…is it weird my first instinct was it has something to do with his blindness?! And OMG I hope we see some Ben Mercer and Eyal Levin this season!

4. Quinn Mallory says:

For a show named Covert “Affairs”, I guess it’s not that big of a surprise that Arthur had an affair (after some false flags of it in season 1 for different reason). Like the flash forward but don’t want to wait until the season finale to have that resolved.

Auggie in the field in this particular episode seemed like a bit too much of a liability. The way that the two of them tailed the courier was particularly obvious and bad that I was hoping for some consequence and wasn’t surprised or sad that Auggie got shot, if that made any sense.

• M3rc Nate says:

Was it an affair? Was he married (or even knew) Joan at the time? I dont feel that was made super clear to me (and i just re-watched the entire series on Amazon Prime last week).

We have seen before opening flash forwards end up being mid-season finales, so its possible you could get your wish.

I agree, i hope the end of next season Auggie goes through a brand new/cutting edge procedure and gets his eye sight back, and if that happened i couldn’t wait for him to be back in the field (and it would be such a huge new change it would bring all new issues aka story lines/plot points to Auggie and Annies relationship), but in this episode he was a huge liability, i mean what is more obvious than a blind white guy in Columbia waving around (on the ground) a long white stick with red on the end, and if something happens she either has to stay with him, or leave him behind..both options being extremely dangerous.

• Quinn Mallory says:

Arthur’s resignation speech cited “extramarital affair” as the reason.

• C. says:

Chris Gorham has already said several times (on twitter) that Auggie would never regained his sight, and that´s a good thing. Even if I agree that it is a bit far-fetched to have him in the field, he’s worked a lot to make Auggie disability believable, they won’t tarnish by “fixing” him all of a sudden.

• C. says:

I wanted to write “regain” and not “regained”. Sorry for the typo.

• M3rc Nate says:

Hmm…well thats a good source but the show could easily get a new showrunner who wants to go in that direction and its not like Chris Gorham can say anything about it. Yes i get that hes like the best blind character ever on TV and to just have him able to see might feel…convenient or something, you want him blind the whole time cause so many people dont their eye sight back, but i say Auggie-Not blind is a ripe fruit of stories that i cant imagine them not picking. Im not really a fan of the people that say keep him blind forever because hes such a great blind character and hes so unique. Yes i love that they had Auggie be blind, and do so many things blind and all that…but hes trying to do everything he can to get his eyesight back, just like in real life a blind person would want to see, in 2013…its not that crazy to write that a new procedure is available to him where theres a 20% chance he gets his vision back and then he does.

• tommygirl says:

I am not sure Teo was the result of an affair. Teo appears to be mid-twenties to mid-thirties so even if he was a product of an affair I am not sure it would be all that relevant to Arthur’s position in the CIA (bank accounts aside). In all reality Teo is old enough to potentially have been conceived before either of Arthur’s 2 marriages we know of from this show (since none of Arthur’s known wives appear older than early 40s and Arthur I would put at mid-fifties to early sixties). I was unclear on the details about Teo: who was in the Navy? Teo or Arthur? At first I thought they were referring to Teo but now I think it was actually Arthur and that Teo was conceived when Arthur was in the Navy stationed in Columbia (truly making Teo a Colombian citizen). Arthur and Joan’s relationship started as an affair which is mentioned in at least 2 episodes (one when he meets with his ex-wife and one when Joan is feeling insecure in their relationship). My understanding was they were implying Arthur had an affair with the girl in the parking garage but even if that is true I think he is more concerned about some other intel she know…I think she is the one who knows something about Arthur and Teo that she may leak if she is crossed. Arthur is the father of Joan’s baby. right? The stuff with the substance abuse guy was to long ago to be relevant to her pregnancy wasn’t it?

• Alichat says:

We don’t know if he really had an affair or if that was just the official excuse. I don’t think the woman he met in the garage was someone he was having an affair with. It’s possible that he did have an affair while married to his first wife though. Perhaps that is when Teo was conceived. And Auggie wasn’t officially in the field. I will agree that them tailing the courier was obvious. I figured they would have done a bump & tag and tagged him with a GPS tracker, especially after the bank manager ended up dead.

• M3rc Nate says:

Exactly i was thinking official excuse…considering the age of the “son” i cant help but think it was from way before Joan, maybe during his first marriage or even before that. Ya it was setup to make you think him and the mystery woman in the car garage was an ending of an affair, so i believe its a bate-and-switch so its something spy related. But im happy to see her i love that actress.

5. Adriene says:

The two most important things I noticed:

Annie had to ask Auggie what a five letter word for monarchs was. This from a woman who supposedly speaks seven languages.

Christopher Gorham woefully mispronounced Medellín. Calder Michaels is the Wyatt Earp of me-de-YIN not me-de-JIN.

This show is dumb. Why am I still watching? Oh yeah, that laundry has to get folded.

6. the whole annie and auggie thing is not working for me….and why does he think it is okay to go into the field iwth her and put both their lives in danger..he’s blind for goodness sake…what an idiot!!!!

• MGL says:

Totally agree. I cannot even watch Annie with Auggie.

• prish says:

Yah, I was attracted to the series because of the Ben and Annie thing. I bailed when Ben Mercer was sidelined as somekind of nut.

• Lyn says:

I’m with ya, Janine. An edgy and even flirty friendship is always a good thing, but the moment they made Annie and Augie this happy/cozy couple, it got boooorrrrrring. (And of course the show will have to separate them w/ her in the field to let her have any adventures whatsoever.) I like both characters, but at this point Arthur and Joan actually seem like a more interesting couple!

• Rtpcg says:

I did like Annie and Ben, I thought that could have gone a lot further. But the whole Simon thing completely tore me up. I was so sad they killed him off… I liked Annie kind of flirting that line of crossing over to a “rogue” or darker side. Getting together with Auggie feels too soon. I wonder if they’ll actually get back into the group that killed Jai ever.

7. Ohmy says:

The banker who was shot looked like Arthur’s son more than the actor who is Aurthor’s son.

8. William Zapata says:

Regarding !!! about Annie & Auggie in Medellin Colombia.

My regard is about the show I sow last night . I am having and opinion . I born in Medellin . Is a beautiful city I love the part when they go to the famous park of Botero the GORDITAS. Well my expectation was we are going to have a beautiful revue about my City. Any always in Europe when She goes to banks She dressed stunning , in the bank of Medellin She doesn’t. As well we have the more beautifully hotels where she can accommodate to do the show. She doesn’t I don’t not what Hotel is this where she being. I’m flabbergasted about the film in my City destroy everything the Department of Culture and Tourism . are do it Durant many Years of work. We have Houses hotels. farms where she can make the scene. is more, look the scene in the Airport you don’t see the beautiful of our Jose Maria Cordoba Airport is the more gorgeous and biggest in Latino America. Please We appreciate next time try to do more films accurate with or society no with the thirst world. We have a Gorgeous City please don’t destroy this Image . Thanks.

• Lyn says:

Can’t speak to the fashion/tourism angle, but must add that I also did not appreciate the way everyone pronounced “Colombia” as “Columbia”! Muy estupido.

9. Regarding !!!

10. Regarding !!!

My regard is about the show I sow last night . I am having and opinion . I born in Medellin . Is a beautiful city I love the part when they go to the famous park of Botero the GORDITAS. Well my expectation was we are going to have a beautiful revue about my City. Annie always in Europe when She goes to banks She dressed stunning , in the bank of Medellin She doesn’t. As well we have the more beautifully hotels where she can accommodate to do the show. She doesn’t I don’t not what Hotel is this where she being. I’m flabbergasted about the film in my City destroy everything the Department of Culture and Tourism . are do it Durant many Years of work. We have Houses hotels. farms where she can make the scene not in fabelas we call barrios marginados “Esa no es la image the nuestra Ciudad” sorry, is more, look the scene in the Airport you don’t see the beautiful of our Jose Maria Cordoba Airport is the more gorgeous and biggest in Latino America. Please We appreciate next time try to do more films accurate with or society no with the thirst world. We have a Gorgeous City please don’t destroy this Image . Thanks.

• LBJ says:

Unfortunately bad guys usually hang out in bad parts of town, but I saw nothing about the city of Medellin in this episode that would make me not want to go there. I had no idea it was such a beautiful city!!! It’s so green and clean!!! If I came from there I too would be proud. There is an Interview with Piper Parabo, in the NY Times I think,, on just how beautiful she thought the city was.

In regards to how Annie was dressed, don’t take it personal, she hasn’t dressed for much of anything the last 6 or 7 episodes. I’m waiting for her to show up to work in sweats and crocked pigtails.

11. HAP says:

As someone who has watched this show from the very beginning, I would like give kudos to Piper Perabo. Remember what a tentative, meek character she played? They have developed her role into an entirely kick=ass agent that is fun to watch.

12. Aly says:

Why did the producer’s eliminate the opening music theme / animation? Was looking forward to kicking off the season with the sing-along and it never happened.

13. A says:

Bring back Eyal!

14. SnowWhite says:

What I noticed was, there are 3 men with (to me) kinda simular sounding names: Auggie/August, Xavier and Theo. Can’t fight the feeling, that these three are maybe brothers and maybe Arthur is their dad? On Youtube I saw a clip where Xavier (the cook we already met in season 2 “wake up bomb”) is talking to Auggie about Annie asking too much questions. Auggie mentioned in season 1, ep “no quarter” that he has 4 “meanass older brothers”, I don’t know, maybe Xavier and Theo are two of them?