Cory Monteith Autopsy Results Released

Cory Monteith Autopsy Cause of DeathCory Monteith died from a “mixed drug toxicity that involved heroin, primarily, and also alcohol,” according to an initial autopsy report conducted by the British Columbia Coroner’s Office. (Watch the video press release below.)

The Glee star was found dead Saturday in a Vancouver hotel room. He was 31.

RELATED | How 22 TV Shows Have Handled an Actor’s Unexpected Death

Monteith, in a June 2011 interview with Parade magazine, opened up about his drug abuse, which first consumed him as a teen, when he would indulge in “Anything and everything, as much as possible…. I had a serious problem.” After his mother and friends staged an intervention, a 19-year-old Monteith tried rehab — “then went back to doing exactly what I left off doing.”

RELATED | Cory Monteith’s 10 Greatest Glee Moments

It was when he found himself stealing from a loved one that Monteith “finally said, ‘I’m gonna start looking at my life and figure out why I’m doing this.’” Yet as recently as this April, he entered rehab again.

It was previously announced by authorities that there were no signs of foul play in the matter of Monteith’s death, and that he had returned to his hotel room alone the night he died.

1. Krista says:

Jamie Beth tami-my comment was not aimed towards your posts are all-it just posted in a funky place. Totally agree with you all with the addiction comments

2. Dahlenk says:

RIP Corey, you’re free of your demons. So sad, such a waste!

3. nechama king says:

my daughter and i were devastated he tried so hard to overcome his past we love him and the other glee members He was like my ideal brother keep strong lea i know you are in pain but you have the memories

4. Bw says:

Some people are ridiculous! May I firstly say, drugs and alcohol are similar; yes, he may have made the choices to take the drugs once before – but haven’t we all? You get drunk with your friends, realise it makes you happy, go through a hard time and think maybe alcohol will cheer you up. Not always the case. I do not condone in anyway, I am against drugs- however it is the same simple mistake people make when having a few too many drinks too often! Addiction is not a choice. It’s the aftermath of a few bad choices, I highly doubt people take a drug because they want to get addicted. But it happens and can happen to anyone, and to be quite frank that is extremely sad, for themselves and everyone around them.

Such a shame, Cory was a very talented young man, with such a big future ahead of him, and he should be remembered for the life he tried and succeeded in making. Thoughts are with his family at such a tough time. RIP Cory Monteith!

5. John says:

Sad to hear. He just couldn’t kick whatever he was struggling with mentally. Not surprised alcohol was in his system. Alcohol probably lowered his inhibitions and he decided to call his connection, and he rolled the dice one too many times. May he rest in peace.

6. Miv says:

Damn…I was expecting pills, maybe, not full-blown heroin addiction. The poor guy must have tried so hard to make it this far – heroin is one of the most difficult drugs to get off. In the end, he couldn’t do it. Sad to see his demons get the better of him.

7. ANglea says:

Jesus. What a nasty combination.
    That really sucks, such a heartbreaking thing to hear. Shame he couldn’t escape his demons.

8. Mike R. says:

No matter how he died, it is still sad nonetheless. Whether it is drugs or old age. The death of a good person is always sad.

9. Ashlyn says:

I’ve read in places that he started using at 13. I must be totally naive because I just can’t fathom how a 13 year old would get their hands on drugs. How is it possible for someone to start using at such a young age? Like I said….I must be really naive. :(

• Lyla says:

He had a really rough childhood. Parents divorced and father left, then he started failing school and being expelled from hanging with the wrong crowds.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

Heroin. J*sus, Cory. I wish things hadn’t turned out for you the way they did.

11. Jory says:

Just say no to drugs, kids! There’s no way to know if you’ll get addicted for life, going from one to the next. Same with alcohol. There’s nothing cool about addiction, or dying at 31. Thankfully, this is one of those diseases that can be prevented by your own actions.

12. Heather says:

I sure wish ALL THE HATERS wud form their own HATER PAGE & take their negative comments there! Your “opinions” DO NOT make your ill speaking of the deceased any less disrespectful or less ignorant.Some Ppl are just heartless & disgustingly RUDE! there is another page somewhere for disputing weather addiction is a disease or not not here!!!This world is just as sad as what he, his family, & friends r enduring.

13. John says:

I am very sad by the death of @CoryMonteith & I am hoping the way he died wont tarnish the image that many have of him. He was seen by many in the cast as the heart of Glee and always welcoming to costars. I hope his cast, friends & family can find in time a way to grieve.

I just hope whatever issues Cory was going thru when he passed on, he is finally has found solace and peace.

14. JC says:

He never would’ve become an addict if he didn’t choose to try drugs in the first place. Addiction is a disease, but you give it to yourself. A person who’s never tried drugs doesn’t just spontaneously get cravings for them.

15. Kenzieeee says:

god needed some better looking angels. rip ya hunk.

16. Waage says:

You can die from overuse of alcohol and heroin… Holy damn, girl

17. anonymous says:

I love cory but what a dumb ass i mean he just got out of rehab he was in canada because he was starting a foundation for kids that struggle with drugs and alchol and then he just goes to his hotel acts dumb and takes heroin and drinks alchol. Cmon cory you killed yourself..even as sad as it is. He did.

18. Babybop says:

So sad to see. People my age seem to think that drugs are “no big deal”, but then you see a 31 year old die because of them… Just goes to show that nobody is invincible.

19. edel says:

Addiction is a disease, usually caused by a bad decision, a bad choice… The process of recovery from addiction is long, difficult and complicated. And even with an effort at rehab, things can end tragically, like what happened to Cory Monteith…So while you still have a choice, make a good one: DON’T DO DRUGS. Don’t even start.

20. Judy Pynn says:

Regardless of how he died whether it be addiction, choice or a disease, HE was still someone’s son, brother, boyfriend. Let him RIP.

21. Carlos Amaral says:

I tried to believe the cause was not about drugs. It’s sad. So sad. How many young talented we will lose?

22. I don’t think Monteith died of an overdose. His addictions were symptoms, I believe, of a deeper problem. There are so many searching for identity, meaning, happiness, and aren’t finding it. It’s tragic his life ended this way.

23. washedupactress says:

Seriously people? It isn’t about an old addiction he had overcome. It isn’t about choice or not. It’s about one of the most amazing actors on Sarth is no linger on the Earth. Besides, name one celebrity over 21 that doesn’t drink or go to parties. And anyone can be slipped drugs. As long as it put in the blood stream, it doesn’t have to be self-inflicted. RIP Cory

24. Vanessa says:

I first learned of Cory’s passing very late Saturday night/early Sunday morning from a friend’s Facebook post. I immediately said to myself “This can’t be true. Not Cory, no it can’t!” Sadly, as we all now know, it was true. And I cried and moped all day Sunday.

Monday, I started a new job. But I was still bummed out a bit.

And today (Tuesday) I get an AP Mobile alert about the results of the toxicology results. And right there in the middle of MLB’s Fanfest, I began to openly cry.

You see, for a long time I’ve been that person that didn’t believe that addiction or alcoholism was a real thing (despite them being defined as diseases). I always associated people like that as selfish and narcissistic. I was cold and unforgiving, and I thought that being unable to “kick the habit” equated to weakness and lack of will power. I have said what some other commenters have written on this thread (yes, even some of the things that Joanne has saidI). You see, have an alcoholic younger brother and seeing how he becomes a different and uncontrollable person when he drinks, and how his DUIs and arrests have hurt my family and his future so much had made me callous and angry. I love my little brother, but I couldn’t for the life of me understand why he would drink or do drugs if all it does is cause problems for him. Why doesn’t he just stop hurting himself and everyone around him already?

But then this happened. An young actor who I’ve never met, but have been a longtime fan of, succumbed to drugs and alcohol. And it seemed as though he did try. He seemed like such a sweet and genuine guy. He had so many people around him who loved him. This stranger, who was on a show that I love (even through its subpar episodes), was someone who I let into my living room every week. I was the only person in a movie theatre over the age of 13 who paid full price to see Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (I know, I was slightly embarrassed. But just slightly). Just so I can watch these amazingly talented young people and their characters that I had grown to love on a really big screen. Glee makes me happy, plain and simple. And Cory’s protrayal of Finn and his relationships with his cast mates made me love Glee that much more.

While it may seem silly that it takes a celebrity’s death to come to grips with the facts about addiction and what it really entails, it has made me more compassionate towards the people in my own life, like my brother. My brother is not a bad person. My brother does have goals. He loves our dog and our parents. He wants to be successful and he wants to be happy. But Cory’s death had also made me more fearful about my own brother’s future. Just think, what if a member of your family made the mistake of trying heroin or even alcohol, and then it’s effects just triggered some crazy stuff in their brain and it sticks with them? And they try and try to stop. And one day, after everything seems to be going so well, they’re just gone? Is all of the love they’ve given you nullified? Does their life suddenly lose all meaning and value? I know my brother’s wouldn’t if something were to happen to him, God forbid.

I understand where the anger and resentment comes from, but I think that we owe it to ourselves and to those who are battling addiction to approach them with compassion and love instead of negativity. Cory and Glee have given me a lot of joy through the years, and now he has also opened my tear-filled eyes to what addiction can look like. An addict can look like a seemingly happy dude like Cory, or like my brother. He’s opened my mind and my heart to educate myself and be more understanding of this illness..

Cory’s passing is certainly devasting to his family and his friends and loved ones. It may not be much, but I pray for them and for anyone who may need that extra bit of support to get better. We Gleeks will surely miss him and hold him and Finn close to our hearts. May he rest in peace.

Thanks for letting me get that out. And thank you to everyone who has been providing some educational tools and references so I can learn more.

25. Ruby says:

This whole thing has really broken my heart. There was something about Cory that made you feel like he was a part of your family, whether you knew him or not. An innate sweetness that made him so accessible and made people care about him more than your average “celebrity”, and so this one hurts, a lot. I have cried every day since I found out, and I’m still in utter disbelief. It’s not fair. And all I want to do is hug Lea Michele forever…people give her such a hard time, but I have to say…she’s been dealing with some rough stuff loving someone who had this issue, and diva or not, she’s got to be a pretty damn good person to stick by someone who was in this deep. Poor thing. I cannot send enough love to these people. I hope they know that millions are grieving right along with them and I hope that gives them strength.

26. Allison says:

Cory(Finn) was always my favorite character on glee and i absolutely adored “Finchel” I’m tearing up just writing this and now every time i listen to hello I love you or Jessie’s girl both his version i cant help but cry. I even updated my Facebook status saying rip Cory. One look inside my locker and everyone knew i loved him. He was all over my locker along with a picture of me and a caption below saying Mrs. Monteith. But lea Michelle deserves it more and i feel so bad for her. He deserved to live longer. And to the gleeks im sorry but glee should be cancelled.

27. jhet says:

fighting for drug addiction going to rehab earlier before he died… the question is,why all the celebrity died, all the autopsy result coming, died for over dose of drugs or they just only hiding the truth because they have some person involve of there sudden death? did you even think and bare it in your mind? I don’t think so, CORY MONTEITH died for drugs or even WHITNEY HOUSTON.. almost of the celebrity died inside at hotel and its all said OVER DOSE why? its because they are a drug user so its easy to say that? try to ask yourself.. or maybe theirs something inside at the hotel that nobody knows :( …. sooner or later we will know the truth, but I believed they are not died of drugs!! theirs something happen of them that we don’t know… MONTEITH where ever you are now ask GOD to send some angel to find out the cause of your death we all prayed of your soul big man :( we all gonna miss u :(

28. What a waste of a life .So tragic that a person like this could get caught up with drugs .He was a great actor it’s a pity . May he rest in peace

29. Dalyce says:

Just like alcoholism, drug use is an addiction that is a lifelong battle. Most addicts learn the hard way that unless you change your lifestyle completely, (like joining AA, or long-term therapy), you will always relapse…often fatally. The lure of Vancouver’s drug culture and the people that Cory partied with did him absolutely no favors. Yes, it’s great to remember the good times, but unless you face the ugly truth of another wasted young life, this endless cycle of heartbreak and loss will keep repeating itself.

30. Aimee says:

I love you Cory and i’ll miss you drug addiction is hard to beat so dont diss him

31. Ali says:

I was so sad when I first heard this. But now I’m upset, what a waste of a talented performer. You will be missed Cory. RIP.

32. WO says:

Some say such a waste of a great life…. Not sure why we mourn over those who choose to do things that will one day take their life. Someone said “drugs are a choice… addiction is not…” Tell me this, if it started with a choice, how can it move to not being a choice if it all started with a choice. Selfish behavior is always about choices… you choose to steal from your loved ones. You choose to booze it up. You choose to lie when asked if you are doing drugs. You CHOOSE to do them in the first place. We tend to forget that celebs have everything they ever need or want… and than may create precarious situations, but they CHOOSE to act upon them.

Don’t blame the drugs… society… friends or family…. if you want to be mad… be mad at Cory. He CHOSE to do something that would take his life. Apparently, he thought that his selfish desires were more important than anything else that same life, friends and loved ones could offer him.

You may think I am insensitive… I am not… I am tired of glorifying the life and death of those who choose to waste it.

33. Heidi says:

Dan Hetland’s post, in my opinion, is a perfect example of everything that needs to be communicated about addiction and its traits. The sentiment that I also feel should be relayed is sadness from a life lost too soon: a son, boyfriend and friend gone-with public scrutiny casting a terrible shadow over the family & friend’s mourning and grief process. Cory is gone and will be terribly missed by millions. Yes-it is sad that for whatever reason he could not handle his addiction like everyone wished he could, but we never walked a mile in his shoes and therefore have no idea what he was truly dealing with on a daily basis. God Bless Cory and his family, friends and fans & pray for Lea’s strength. RIP Cory Monteith/Finn Hudson. 😢

34. Ann says:

This death has been breaking my heart since first heard. It is difficult to reconcile this talented young man and heroin together — tho rationally I know it’s everywhere, and no one is immune.
    I shall miss his special talents and cheerful / laid back (mostly) and sweet persona on ‘Glee.’ which seemed so real, like he wasn’t acting. Beautiful, talented young Lea M. is forever changed and my heart breaks for her so. Will not watch any longer (other than if they do a tribute hour) as for me, it is no longer ‘Glee’-ful …

35. Henry says:

He was a Great Guy may His Soul RIP and addiction is a everyday battle he tried to get a hold of it but I myself know its not as easy as some people make it seem. I respect his Work and his down to earth persona, I Hope Glee makes a episode about drugs and how they effect Teens, this will surly help future generations.

36. Mike Robbins says:

Drug use is a choice, addiction is a consequence of this choice.
    Just like murder is a choice, jail is a consequence of this choice.

37. Alan says:

It doesn’t matter to me whether addiction is a choice or a disease. I leave that to the scientists and researchers to figure out. I do know that the disease model works. The model works better than any other approach. Addiction is a self help disease and self help with ancillary expert treatment is best.
    I worked 3 decades with addicts and was attracted to the field because the disease takes the best and the brightest. Addicts are bright, talented and very successful people–even moreso when they clean up.
    Cory’s death piqued my curiosity but now that I know his clinical history it becomes understandable.
    As a physician, the death of any person saddens me.

38. I like the helpful information you prtovide in your articles.
    I will ookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!