Castle Halts Production for a Day as Nathan Fillion Is a No-Show During Contract Dispute

Castle Shuts Down Production Fillion DisputeABC’s Castle shut down production on Season 6 this past Friday when series lead Nathan Fillion was a no-show on the set, sources confirm for TVLine.

As first reported by our sister site Deadline, Fillion’s absence was likely intended as a “nudge” to his ABC Studios bosses with whom he is in a contract dispute, as he lobbies for a four-day work week.

RELATED | Castle‘s Nathan Fillion Weighs In on Rick’s ‘Adult Choice,’ Answers a Burning Question

Fillion was conspicuously “Twitter silent” on the Friday in question, having posted 11 times the day prior (including the photo below, with Season 6 guest star Lisa Edelstein) and nine times the day after. Edelstein herself went on to post the second photo below, “solving crimes” with female lead Stana Katic.

Production on the ABC drama resumed this week, with Fillion on set. As announced earlier today, Castle‘s new season will premiere Monday, Sept. 23

1. Rida says:

I really dont think we’re getting the entire picture here but that was a very unprofessional move and its all the more shocking because there has never been news of him ever being unprofessional ever, even though many ppl think he has seemingly become bored of the show. Maybe ABC’s to blame somewhere too but this move must have negatively affected the entire crew and that’s just very wrong and sad. I hope this doesn’t put the show in danger of being cancelled because im a big fan and also itll be so sad to see so many people loose their jobs just because of one person. I hope ABC and Nathan resolve this asap and it doesnt happen again because this can have bad affects on the rep of the show as well and id hate to see that happen to one of my fav shows.

• Badpenny says:

As I just posted ahead of you, it’s a way to get around the 7-year contract he currently has for Castle. Nathan wants more money. They’ll give him an Executive Producer title, which makes him more money, to get around his contract limitation. They’ll also not be in a big hurry to renew for season 7 either. It’s just the way things work in Hollywood. Most of the actors who have a producer/executive producer title did the same thing at one point.

• Jenna says:

And let me guess, Stana didn’t ask for more money even though she has the same amount of scenes as Nathan? I know she was paid less at the start which was normal but if she didn’t get more money after 5 seasons then she needs a new manager.

• Just one thing says:

I normally don’t comment on actor salaries, because that makes me feel weird, but someone tweeted this afternoon that she’s (still?) making $30k an episode. All I can say is, that’d better be an effing joke. Seriously.

• Wdd22 says:

Yeah well maybe Nathan Fillion is sick of the fact that the show that is called Castle has became the Marlowe loves Beckett show.

I hope Nathan Fillion will stand up for his character and demand more storyline. I am not going to watch another season focused on a bitch like Kate Beckett.

• Just one thing says:

None of us can read the actors’ minds. But I think it’s entirely possible that Fillion wants to strike while the iron is hot when it comes to his potential film career, and that he’s intimated a desire to take time off to make that work for over a year. By officially requesting time off in his contract, that doesn’t really show an interest in “defending” his character or “demanding” more storyline, does it? In fact, it logically suggests the opposite.
            It’s entirely possible that Fillion’s lack of interest in exploring Castle as a deeper, more serious character over the last two years has left the door open for the show to focus more on Beckett’s complexities.
            If Fillion wanted more focus on his character, I have no doubt that the studio and network would make that work. I mean, 80% of their marketing focuses on him on ABC, through social media, on DVDs, and in syndication. They clearly value him as an actor and a selling point for a show that has had a solid ROI for years. It’s unlikely that they’d be willing to give that up easily.

• Just one thing says:

I honestly don’t think it’s about money or vanity title.

• Badpenny says:

You’ve never been in Hollywood then. It’s all about money. It’s about a 7-year contract that you can’t get out of or change once you’ve signed it. Nathan now feels he’s worth more then what he agreed to accept 6 years ago. It happens all the time in Hollywood. That’s how Seinfeld became and EP on his show, it’s how David and Emily became producers on Bones, it’s how Mark Harmon became an EP on NCIS. It’s all about thinking you’re worth more then what you originally agreed to get paid.

• Tam says:

Hmm i guess you could be right because Hollywood is abt money n that not sth wrong or right. Its like any other business. Also i think he has a right to negotiate his contract just like any other person is (yes, even rich ppl have that right) Just dont like the way he’s going about it. But yes i also doubt this is the entire picture either. I just hope it works out and doesnt do much damage to the show.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t know their contracts, nor do I particularly care, but didn’t he have an opportunity to renegotiate a while back? If that’s the case, he would’ve asked for more money then.
            Based on things he’s consistently said, this is about lightening his TV load and allowing him time to focus on other projects. It’s not wholly unreasonable.
            It just sucks that he chose the first week of filming to do it, and that he felt this was the only route he could take, despite its likely negative effect on the cast and crew.

• PEL says:

At least in hollywood he actually worth more now than when he agreed to do Castle.
            Now, he is the lead of the sucessfull show, it raises his worth.
            He’d done at least one movie that has HUGE box office gross (Monster University). Even if he wasn’t the star and it was a small part, it still counts. And I am sure Percy Jackson will be a success too.
            He has an ever more bigger fanbase now than he had then. A fan base big enough that he can be a selling point in a blockbuster (His casting in Percy Jackson proves it). When you have millions of people that scream for him to lbe in a marvel movie, it means something in Hollywood.

So, Marvel, Pixar (So Disney), Fox wants him in movies and he can’t do them because he is on Castle for £100 000 an epIsode. I am pretty sure he’s paid way more for any movie he could do.

He’d be a fool to not ask for a raise or time to do more movies. It doesn’t matter that he is already hugely paid way more for a week of works than I make in one year. But that’s Hollywood.That’s how it is, actors (all of them), singers, athletes and celebrities as a whole are overpaid. but that’s another debate entirely.

• Badpenny says:

Just One Thing, no, he didn’t have an opportunity to renegotiate. He signed a 7-year deal. That locks him in for 7 years. He can’t change anything. The only thing he can do is try and get more money with an EP or Producer title. And holding out is how you get those things.
            It’s the same thing Brad Garrett did on Everybody Loves Raymond. You don’t show up for work, that puts pressure on the studio, and then the studio either agrees to better terms or they fire you. And since Castle doesn’t work without Castle, they won’t fire him; and since Castle is ABC’s #1 watched drama it’s clear they’ve made money off of the actor’s work over the years, even though the actors are making salaries based off of a 6-year old contract written before anyone even knew if the show would succeed.
            I agree it sucks, but the studio won’t just give you more money. Your salary is based on your contract. You don’t get year-end bonuses, or profit sharing. You get what your contract says you are. It’s the 7-year contract that’s the problem. It ties up an actor for a very long time at a salary that is great for the studio, but not that great for an actor in a popular series several years down the road.

• femmefan1946 says:

Castle has made him more of a household name than any of his previous work. It is worth noting that although his part in Much Ado is very small, about three scenes, he shows up in every trailer and has third place in the cast list (behind the actors playing Benedick and Beatrice). Obviously he can now sell a movie.
            I wonder how Slither would do if he had made it in 2013 instead of 2006. (It’s very funny in a slimy disgusting sort of way.) Perhaps not a blockbuster, but more than a B-movie.

2. Katie says:

I’ll start by saying that I am a huge Fillion fan but he cannot be serious about this. Some months I work 12+ hour days 6 days a week for about what he makes in two weeks. I have heard him complain about working long hours in several interviews so I guess one can’t be too surprised with this. I don’t even see how it would be possibly to work only 4 days unless his screen time gets cut back. While this does seem out of character for him (and what in the world does the rest of the cast think?!) I agree that many Americans work much harder for much much less. Very disappointing on all fronts.

3. kate says:

I never really liked Nathan he always seemed like a show off, and he always talks about Firefly and Joss Whedon but he is famous now because of Castle not because of something he did 10 years ago for only one season!! He needs to suck it up and just go to work!!!

• adeline says:

He was famous BEFORE Castle. This guy is very popular in the sci fi world. He will always be Captain Reynolds. I don’t think he will feel any loss if he left this wishy washy show.

• sweetsassymolassy says:

Yes here’s the problem- traveling the country doing Cons and reminiscing about Firefly doesn’t pay the bills. Castle put him on the map with a main stream audience- Firefly has a rabid fanbase but it isn’t that large in the grand scheme of things. Being the star of a cult hit that lasted half a season is nothing compared to the exposure he’s gotten from Castle. He is without question a much bigger star/more recognized figure now because of Castle.

• Doing Cons can pay quite nicely. Which is why Adam West is still doing them although his job as Batman ended when I was a teenager. The Con guests are paid to attend (including travel and per diem) then fans pay for an autograph (Nathan charges $60 ) and for a photograph ($100). But that includes a personal five minutes or so with your favourite actor. It can be hard work (Comic Book Guy is a quite realistic fan, and I’ve been a fan since the Sixties.)FAns can be smelly, grabby and socially awkward. Most of us are pretty neurotypical though. Except for using words like “neurotypical”.

4. Kyle says:

Marlowe Kill Him Off..Don’t take Blackmail from him and his agent..he doesn’t deserve it!

5. liz says:

Good for him. He’s always such a level-headed, kind man he wouldn’t do something like this without probable cause.

6. Amy says:

I wonder if he had a real job like the people that watch his show. we don’t show up for work because we want something we get fired…

• Badpenny says:

Don’t hate the player. Hate the game. This is just the way things work in Hollywood. The truth is Nathan could do a movie and work 2-3 months out of the year and make more then he does working 9.5 months on Castle.
      It’s not about comparing average people to stars. There are basketball players how make $300,000 for playing a game for 2.5 hours. There are baseball and football players who sign $100 million contracts. And there are actors who are paid $30 million to do 1 movie. Musicians like Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber make $60+ million per year. The lucky few will always make many times more then the average Joe.

• Tam says:

I agree with your point. Anyone who knows even a little bit about how economy work knows that pay differentials EXIST due to different reasons. He has every right to negotiate his contract, he just could have been a bit more classy about it.

7. Kristine S. says:

I’ll just wait until TVLine let’s me know how negotiations went before I cast my judgment. Meanwhile, I’ll just be excited that they are filming again and hope that Season 6 will be better than last season.

8. HanSolo says:

he is such an ungrateful douche!

9. Jamie says:

what’s next? Stana doesn’t show up to work because she wants parity and be paid equally?

10. gaby6034 says:

I agree, after this bad move, Season 6 will be the last one. Nathan disappointed me. Now I don’t know if I am going to watch the show.

• Tam says:

Dont stop watching just because of this. There are a lot of other ppl who put in so much hard work into making it, so keep watching to appreciate that at least :)

• gaby6034 says:

It will damage Nathan image and the show too. I would bet bad ratings for season premiere.

• Just one thing says:

If the season six premiere gets bad ratings, it will likely because ABC decided to play chicken with two highly-touted new dramas on CBS and NBC.

• Badpenny says:

Why bad ratings? Exactly what percentage of the 12 million people who watch Castle have any idea this is even going on? 1%? Probably even far less then 1%.
          The season 6 premier is still 10 weeks away. This issue will be resolved long before then, and the vast, vast, vast majority of Castle fans won’t even know it ever occurred.

• femmefan1946 says:

Which is exactly why ABC and the production company leaked the story. Mr. Fillion used some of his tools to put across his demands, basically a reduced work week (there was a suggestion above that the workers may feel that poor management may have caused the long hours), and the bosses decided to slanderize his name.
          There is an old saying. “Cui bono?” Who benefits?
          When you hear a newstory ask who benefits from this take on the story?
          In this case, it is not Mr. Fillion. It is the bosses using the jealousy of the fanbase for their benefit. Whatever hours the cast works and whatever they get paid, it will not benefit the fans.
          But then, as I mentioned above, the product ABC is selling is those 10 million pairs of eyeballs, to the advertisers. Not the show. The eyeballs.

11. Rob R says:

Nathan is not asking that the entire production change to a four-day work week. He is asking that HE be allowed not to come into work one day per week. That means adjusting production so that all the scenes not featuring his character be clustered together and filmed on his off day.

12. Diane says:

Acting is hard work. You need at least one or two days off a week to fully reach your full potential. I think I am going to try to argue this with my boss, especially in the summer with the 90+ weather we are having on the east coast.

13. Cynthia V. says:

What makes this story difficult to absorb is, what percentage of people would be able to brazenly miss a day of work because their salary requests or working privileges were not met? In our current economy, so many work multiple jobs with long, inconsistent hours earning a milli-fraction of what this guy earns. L.A. seems to have officially whisked away the gratitude he oft purports.

14. S says:

I imagine there’s something else going on here that we aren’t privy to. It will be interesting to see what, if/when it comes out.

We don’t know the full story, we don’t know what the set’s like. Who knows, maybe the crew, other actors, etc, wants this, but they’re replaceable. Nathan and Stana aren’t, so if anyone’s going to effect this change, it’s one of the two of them.

Let’s not judge without detail or context.

15. F says:

Nathan should show more appreciation for Castle. He never shows any love for it and now it seems he wants OUT. I know actors work long hours on tv shows and that 10 hours a day for 5 days/week is LONG, but what makes him better than the other actors? Besides, he gets well paid for it, unlike us mere mortals and probably his co-workers. He should just remember that the beloved Firefly was AGES ago and that the Nerd Hero status alone won’t pay his bills. Castle is your route, Nathan, ’cause you are not getting any younger (and getting WAY out of shape)

• sweetsassymolassy says:

haha seriously, doing Cons and fapping over Joss Whedon ain’t gonna pay the bills, Nathan. P

16. Michael says:

Understandable. Need those days off to eat KFC bargain buckets

17. James D says:

i have a strong feeling their is more to this. my guess is that ABC could be trying to restructure his contract past seven seasons as i hear that’s when it is up, and he is both trying to hold out for more money and shorter work week so he can look for other projects to do, I could be way off on this, but it seems to me more is involved then meets the eye. I don’t get the sense that he’s a jackhole at all who knows as long as i get my Castle every week i won’t riot :) and let them do their buisness

18. castlefan says:

but if firefly was still on the air, he wouldn’t do this right?

not surprising since he complains about how long the days are all the time.

• sweetsassymolassy says:

Of course not, if he had even 1/100 of the appreciation he has for Firefly for Castle he wouldn’t be crying on Twitter about his schedule.

19. PEL says:

Eads and Fox of CSI did something like that a few years ago didn’t they ? They were fired and re-hired by CBS. I think it was in 2003 or 2004. The show was in its fifth season, first day of shooting, they didn’t show up. They were also in a 7 years contracts. (I don’t remember if they had what they were asking for or not in the end).

20. tahina says:

Wow, I don’t understand those contracts dispute stuff but isn’t like too late, I mean, you would think it’s a done deal before they start filming. :0)

21. The Kaibosh says:

I’m surprised and somewhat amused at some of the reactions. Calling him ungrateful and unprofessional is somewhat silly and a little ignorant. We know very little if anything about what is being negotiated and how by either parties. So we really don’t have the right to be judgmental. I don’t understand why people are so concerned. Is the show renewed for another season? Yes. Is the episode count the same? Yes. Will the show premier as scheduled? Yes. Can anybody explain to me what the big deal is without injecting their own personal viewpoint on class and pay inequities in our society? Anybody? OK. I think some people may also be missing some practical and logistical options: its possible to reorganize the shooting schedule so that his scenes are shot in four days with other scenes shot on a fifth day. Also if he wants to work fewer days then put him in fewer scenes. That’s an option too.

22. Sally Ramsey says:

They usually shoot 14-16 hours a day, so a four day week would still be 56-64 hrs long, not counting the time to memorize lines. An episode takes 8 days to shoot, so if on one of those days they shoot scenes with other people, what’s the big deal? They have been talking about more time for supporting characters this year, something about which the other actors have expressed enthusiasm. It won’t affect the crew and if scheduled well it probably won’t affect the production schedule. There certainly has been enough commentary about Nathan looking haggard at the end of the last couple of seasons. I think we all would with a schedule like that, no matter the pay rate. He is also older than Stana and has his share of knocks from previous stunt work. Castle is the most watched drama ABC has, so if ever there was a time to use some leverage, this is probably it. Contract disputes are extremely common. Remember when the cast of Friends ended up making a million an episode for a half hour show? Remember Jerry Seinfeld? Nathan is not selfish. If you watched the video from the con in Calgary, one person thanked him for saving her grandmother from choking. There was another guy who thanked Nathan for catching him when he fell off something and Nathan had left before anything could be said. This weekend he’ll be in San Diego doing stuff for Operation Smile under the auspices of Nerd Machine. We are talking abouting someone Joss Whedon said is the kindest man he’s ever met. We have only heard one side of this story. It also seems to be single sourced, if oft repeated. Given the the amount of garbage out there, that is not something to condemn someone over.

• gg says:

I agree with you but LOL)))) That saving from choking stuff etc was a joke. Before the con he asked on Twitter those who were going to attend to thank him for some fantastic heroic deeds, the more random the better. So some people did:) It was hilarious.

• Sally Ramsey says:

OK, he got me. That was before I started following him on twitter. Of course he ignored all this last night and just tweeted a memorial to Cory Monteith. It was nice.

• Just one thing says:

While I am sure he meant what he said, the timing felt incredibly suspect. The poor guy has been dead for three days and Fillion chooses the day he receives uncharacteristically bad press to say something about it?
          Come on, dude…

23. Justine says:

I don’t understand how people can’t comprehend that people get tired. So he makes a lot of money doing what he does? He’s an actor and it’s Hollywood’s decision to pay these outrageous amounts of money. However, the actors shouldn’t be criticized for just wanting to do their craft for a reasonable amount of hours. It’s not like he didn’t show up on set because he wants a huge raise. He wants to work his (most likely) 16+ hr. days only 4 days a week. I think that is completely reasonable. It’s completely unfair that all actors, singers, etc. are looked at as greedy, selfish, people. Some of them may actually do this because they LOVE it not because they dreamed of being millionaires. Should they be punished with extreme hours and lack of sleep because they became successful at what they want to do? I don’t think so.

• tripoli says:

He was hired and signed a contract knowing full well what is involved in working in TV. It’s not like he’s fresh off the turnip truck. He’s an entitled ass who thinks he’s worth way more than he is. Just one more thing that makes me dislike him.

24. Tamera says:

Mr. Fillion is a very talented, charismatic man. Everything thing about him draws you in and makes you want to be a part of his orbit. However, there have been at least two instances where he has made a commitment to make a personal appearance and backed out at the last moment using very flimsy excuses. To me he doesn’t have a great reputation for responsibility and this doesn’t do anything to change my opinion.

• gg says:

You mean that convention he cancelled this spring? I’ve seen his photos at the time and yeah, he looked pretty terrible, his right eye almost completely shut. As somebody who had similar eye problems I’d guess there was some fever too, may be a lot of pain. Do you really want a person to appear at a public gathering, trying to joke around and be joyful when feeling so miserable? It’s like some people never fell ill and had to cancel important meetings, seriously.

25. JL says:

A lot of interesting comments from fans feeling that season 5 was off or that the character Castle seemed to be downgraded from past seasons. I felt the same way about season 5. I have always liked Kate Beckett; the fun part, the kick butt part and the emotional part. As an actress Stana Katic is fantastic. However the emphasis of the show has definitely shifted to Beckett and away from Castle. It would be interesting to know why: is she the better actor (actually in my opinion she is); does Nathan want less screen time; do the writers just like Kate? I don’t know but “The Adventures of Kate Beckett” would be a more appropriate title than “Castle” for what the show has become. I did not like the wind down of season 5 and I don’t like the rumors of the start of season 6. I have no interest in watching Kate work with a new team and I have no interest in watching Castle whimper for Kate to come home. Maybe Nathan’s complaint was that if Castle is going to be a secondary character then he should not have to be there so much. Although I am a Caskett shipper I feel that the bromance was more interesting than the romance for most of season 5. My feeling at the end of season 5 was that they should make season 6 the last season and go out feeling good. If season 6 feels like season 5 then there may not be a season 7 anyway. Hopefully ABC is trying to figure out how to spin off the boys for their own show, post Castle.

• Just one thing says:

Honestly, I think this news of a dispute answers your question, and the question others have raised over the last few months.
      Do people honestly think think that the creator and writers of a show called “Castle” are just going to arbitrarily focus more attention on another character? When both networks currently airing the show market so heavily to the actor playing the title character? And when the actor playing the title character clearly has a large fanbase?
      What’s irritated me most over the last few weeks are the claims, some of which are defamatory and disrespectful, that the shift in focus was due to preference. It’s been clear to me for quite some time that, of the two lead actors, one is consistently ready and raring to go and the other isn’t quite there anymore. The proof is in how each character talks about the show and their individual character. That’s not meant to be a diss or anything. It’s just my observation.
      So, when you look at how things have gradually shifted since as early as season four and you look at news like this being leaked, the pieces really should fall into place. It’s likely had nothing to do with the writers liking one character over another, or one actor being more talented than another.
      It’s likely had everything to do with the producers trying to accommodate one actor’s preferences, while still keeping the show’s long-term story plans in mind. I think it’s quite clear that season six is shaping up this way to continue accommodating that actor’s preferences. It means more work for other actors, likely even more work for an actor who already works quite a bit, and some creative story budgeting on the part of the writers.
      I’m sure that had the producers and network had known this would happen thanks to their Hollywood Crystal Ball, they would have called the show something a bit more inclusive of an ensemble. Unfortunately, they didn’t. So, when the actor playing the title character says sayonara, that’ll be it.
      Barring severe ratings drops this fall or something even more extreme than today’s news, I think viewers should prepare themselves for Castle’s conclusion in 2015. That’s plenty of time to wrap up the series.

• Just one thing says:

“The proof is in how each character…” = “The proof is in how each actor…”

• HanSolo says:

Leave Stana Alone..she is not the one complaining about not wanting to work..your “saint” idol should kiss ABC for the opportunity given after all the failures in his career, he is just an ungrateful douche!

• Just one thing says:

Please, for the love of god, re-read my post or any other posts I’ve left on this site. I don’t have a “saint idol,” and I have nothing but praise for Stana Katic. She seems cool, humble, really passionate about the show and her complex, kick-ass character.
            I’m not defending Fillion. Just being pragmatic. He’s a notable star, and is likely aware of his status and ability to play hardball with a studio that re-ignited his career. I hope it was worth it, and that the move and the now well publicized news of said move hasn’t had an adverse effect on the show as a whole.
            Only time will tell on that front.

• Badpenny says:

You really did misread what he wrote. :)
            And almost everyone in Castle was a nobody pre-Castle. Nathan had an established fanbase, which is why you see so many references to his previous work, but even he admits he’s still just a B level star. But when Castle is eventually off the air who do you think’s going to get rehired the quickest. It’s going to be Nathan. :)
            But at the same time there’s nothing wrong with wanting to get paid what you’re worth. The cast is forced to work off a contract over 6 years old that doesn’t take into account how popular the show is now. Andrew’s income is based off of rating and selling the show to other countries, so when the show does well he does well. The actors’ income is based off of an old contract. No matter how popular the show is, or how many millions it makes ABC, the actors get paid what they get paid and nothing more. It’s an unfair system, which is why so many actors try to rebell against the constraints of their contract. They want their fair share of the income.

• Jamie says:

I hope Stana gets a pay raise in that case

• Badpenny says:

In Hollywood you need to demand raises. You don’t just get them. The producers’ job is to pay people as little as possible. That way there’s more money for the producers and the studio.
            And in case anyone’s ever wondered, Castle has 5 producers and 7 executive producers. Andrew not only has an EP title but he also has a creator title and writes some of the episodes; meaning he always double-dips his pay and sometimes triple-dips. That’s a ton of salaries to be paid while the actors are stuck in their contracts.

• JL says:

I have absolutely zero insight into what is going on with the show. I just feel that Kate has become the central character and Castle has been downgraded. In the early years they were more balanced and there was always the little extra between Castle and Alexis that made his character more interesting. Given the storyline progression, season 4 seemed reasonable to me but it also showed that Stana Katic is much more of a powerhouse actress than I gave her credit for in the earlier seasons. I started season 5 expecting to have fun with Caskett and to also see their relationship grow in ways that would replace the Castle-Alexis moments, simply because Alexis has grown up. What I saw was a few really good episodes, many more good scenes but an overall loss of direction and continuity. By the wind down I saw everything about Kate (and wrapped in a story arc that I did not like) while Castle’s story was pushed aside. In the end he was only needed to propose to Kate to set up season 6. I realize this is harsh but I have been disappointed in how the Castle character has been treated in season 5 and in how the Caskett story has been advanced. I have no idea if any of my reaction to season 5 has anything to do with actor discontent. I just hope the show’s producers read the fan discontent and tool up season 6 to be the best season ever. If not, then they should make it the last season.

• Just one thing says:

I can understand your confusion and displeasure with season five. And really, I’m just guessing. We all are, I suppose.
          The problem is, if the Castle character was neglected or took a backseat in season five due to actor discontent (and if the two-parter was, as I always suspected, the writers’ attempt to throw Fillion a bone that would re-energize him for the series), there’s no guarantee that anything they write for season six will work.
          The actors have to be on the same page with each other and with the executive producers. If there’s a disconnect that can’t be bridged, Castle scripts could be compared to the likes of David Mamet and they still won’t fly.
          I’m sure things will smooth themselves out, but I can’t help but think that what happened on Friday and today’s release of that news has done lasting damage.

• Badpenny says:

It’s also important to keep in mind that many of the season 5 writers were hired specifically for season 5. They replaced many of the season 1-4 writers because Andrew wanted a change. Season 6 also has several new writers, who replaced writers from season 5. Terri posted a pic of all the new writers on twitter.
            I really don’t think most of the season 5 writers had a great feel for the characters until well into season 5.

• JL says:

None of us have any idea of his commitment to the show but we all can see the character on tv. If the show expects Castle to be the central figure then the script should be written that way and NF held to his contract to deliver. However, if the scripts effectively downgrade Castle then NF should either challenge why or spend time there appropriate to the job at hand. Regardless, assuming the report is true then there does seem to be some trouble in paradise; maybe not entirely as reported but not all roses either.

• JL says:

If writers were replaced to get a change then they were successful. For me, the result was not successful. I hope that the season 6 changes work out better.

• Just one thing says:

I’m sorry JL, but I think your suggestion that Fillion should “put up or shut up” while playing the central character is rather short-sighted and fails to take into account the relationship showrunners have with their actors. And I think you’re missing my point, which is that the show does want Castle to be a central character on the show and that perhaps Fillion isn’t challenging it for a reason.
            If — and I stress if, since we’re all just opining here — a lead actor expressed a desire to do less within the confines of playing the title character, it would behoove any executive producer with a brain stem to work with him any way he could. Forcing an actor to do something he doesn’t really want to do anymore, regardless of contract status, would ultimately create friction or ambivalence that could eventually translate onscreen. Some would argue that’s already happened in this case.
            Luckily, this show has several actors who are happy to carry their own weight as well, so Castle has options that they’re clearly in the process of exercising. They’re in a position where there’s no turning back now on a number of fronts. They can only move forward, and hopefully keep everyone as happy as possible.
            If that means that Castle becomes an ensemble show in its twilight years before they sign off, so be it. If that means audience members gravitate to other shows in the process, that’ll have to do, too.
            Again, this is obviously massive supposition. We’ll have to wait and see how things pan out.

• Liz says:

I can imagine an actor/actress becoming bored when their character doesn’t progress.
          There is so much potential to the Castle character, and they gave us a tiny taste in season 5 with the two parter. Mr Fillion outshone everyone in those two episodes proving that he can bring it if its written. But that was it, from there it went back to being the Kate Beckett Show culminating in a finale where she treated Castle terribly, where we barely saw him, and yet again it will be her decision what happens next. If this trend continues, Fillion probably doesn’t need to do that many hours afterall.
          Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. Ideally, ABC will up his (along with the rest of the cast’s) pay, he’ll continue to work his hours and we’ll get a more Castle-centric season in season 6.

26. Julie says:

Yes we don’t know the whole story so ill reserve my judgement. But I’m always amazed at how bitter some of you are about actors. You love to watch their shows but refuse to see them as people. Yes they make ridiculous amounts of money but thats the way their profession is. They work hard too. I may have to work two jobs to support myself but I don’t hate people who make more money than I do. That’s the way the world is. You just come across as super bitter and unhappy about your life. Like I said, I’ll reserve judgement until I have more information.

• Kelly says:

I don’t hate anyone for making more than I do. I’d hate a whole lot of people if that were true. I just think that if you are lucky enough to headline an hour long drama AND you make obscene amounts of money PER EPISODE you SHOULD appreciate what you have and don’t go belly aching about long hours and needing a shorter work week. Do I make Nathan Fillion money…please…I barely make Steve Urkel in reruns money, but I am very blessed to have a job that pays me decently. I’m NOT going to not show up for work tomorrow because I can’t work a four day week. PS…if Fillion had a regular job, he’d probably get FIRED!

• Julie says:

Oh don’t get me wrong i agree that he should be grateful for what he has- I just wanted to give my opinion on the hating him because of money thing. And I had to laugh at your Steve Urkel comment. Too funny :)

• femmefan1946 says:

FWIW, if Nathan gets $100,000 an episode to entertain 10,000.000 viewers (in the US only, the show is seen around the world and translated into at least four languages that I am aware of.) Then that translates into being paid one cent for each viewer.

27. Jenn says:

The fact is, not ONE SINGLE person on this board knows what the situation is. You complain about him being selfish but it’s really all of you. You demand that he shut up and make your precious show because what’s important is that you get to watch what you want and to heck with what they feel.

28. Brittany Reid says:

I’m excited for season 6 but this week sucks TERIBBLY :( First Cory Montieth dies, and now this drama with Castle :”(( I really hope he stays otherwise there is going to be a lot of angry people. The only actor on the show who I truly idolize is Stana Katic, she brings her A game every episode. But it would be nothing without Nathan Fillion.

• ANglea says:

July seems to be a rough month for fans of TV shows in general thus far. There’s the two instances you mentioned, plus Donald Glover’s time on “Community” being shortened and Cote not returning to “NCIS”. I’m almost scared to wonder if any other shows have any bad news bombshells ready to drop.

29. Caro says:

What a shame! Nathan always seemed nice and not like a prima donna…guess that’s not the case after all! Maybe all stars are ungrateful jerks!

30. Caro says:

Reading through these comments I don’t see how you can cut Nathan any slack! Or any other actor who pulls this kind of stunt! They work long days but only for part of the year and they make more money than most of us will see in a lifetime and yet they have the audacity to complain about how rough they have it or how much more they want? These spoiled, selfish little ingrates have NO clue how tough it is on working Americans so they need to grow up and shut up!

31. Sally Ramsey says:

I’ve been giving this some more thought. Supposedly Nathan did this on Friday and the story breaks on Tuesday? Why? These days it takes 30 seconds to get a story or at least a tweet out. This is the sort of thing that PR people do to bring pressure to bear. What better than to make a jerk at of somebody known to be the nicest guy in Hollywood? Get the fans mad and star clout is lost. Until both sides of the story are heard, I think nothing further should be said.

32. Kreskin says:

I don’t think it’s been a happy set for a while, based on little tells. For example, in every picture and video I saw of the 100th episode cast and crew celebration, it seemed chilly between Fillion and Katic. Never saw them look at each other, there were always people between them even in the cast photo — why wouldn’t the two leads be in the center of the photo, next to each other?

No Comic Con appearance by the series this year, or last if memory serves.

If you know anything about pro wrestling — stick with me — it’s well known that when a wrestler/performer is in the promoter’s doghouse, that wrestler starts losing badly to lesser wrestlers so he looks weak, gets embarrassed by storylines, etc. In short, the promoter retaliates by damaging the wrestler’s character in the eyes of the audience. Did you notice as last year went on, Castle was acting more juvenile, like how he dressed and went Bigfoot hunting, his interaction with the ape in that episode? Or the way all of a sudden, Esposito was making pretty nasty comments to Castle? Not the type of office kidding in the past, but some pointed personal stuff that didn’t go anywhere except make Castle look stupid or weak? Those incidents were all ‘throw-aways’ – didn’t advance the plot, didn’t do anything except stick out as kind of cruel and out of character for the shipper that Esposito is — but they did make Castle look weak and silly. The whole Squab episode where Castle lost all ability to charm or be smooth, and spent his time with his foot in his mouth and impliedly insulting Beckett a few times?

Also, some of the Twitters from the cast have been interesting, in the ‘the curious incidence of the dog in the night’ way.

In short, I don’t think Fillion is happy with the show or the Castle role. Remember in early interviews how he said he read the pilot script for Castle and knew he was that guy. Do you think he’d say that about the character now? In Nathan’s appearances pushing Much Ado, Castle was barely mentioned and when it was, it was in response to a question from the host.

Tea leaf reading on top of speculation, I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants out of his 7th season contract. I’m sure he’ll take more money and fewer hours, but I’m not sure that’s his priority. Fillion got very good to glowing mentions for his work in Much Ado and good reviews for Monsters, Inc., and is also in the upcoming Percy movie. His friend Joss has become a very powerful Hollywood player, and Fillion is among those Joss likes to cast in his work (and has basically said Nathan can do anything). And he’s said he’d love to be in the upcoming Star Wars films, and is often mentioned for roles in comic book-based movies. In short, he’s probably more in demand now than before, and more interesting things being cast that he’d like to pursue and do, and in Hollywood you strike when you’re hot. Being tied down to a series after 5 years, going on 6, isn’t the ideal position for him. I’d say he likely wants a set end date for the series, so he can say he can commit to other projects after May 2014.

BTW, Katic might also be happy if the show ended after this year. Women actors in that industry have a pretty short window before they are “too old” or “not old enough.” At 35ish, if she wants to take her shot at bigger things, she may see that window as closing so May 2014 as an end date may suit her as well.

• Just one thing says:

I agree with quite a bit of what you said. Won’t touch some of it, because it bums me out and feels weird speculating about publicly. As intriguing as it all is, I truly feel like it’s none of my business.
      But I will say that yes, it definitely seems like Fillion could be on the shortlist for big movie roles, or at least in contention for them, and the only thing preventing that appears to be the full-time TV gig. An embarrassment of riches, you could say.
      It would be interesting to see if there’s a season seven. Maybe this upcoming season will be the last. I still maintain that that could be the best for everyone. I don’t like buying into the bizarre industry standard that Katic, at several years younger than Fillion, somehow has a shorter window of opportunity than he will. But I do think it’s safe to say that television production can be as brutal as it is rewarding for everyone involved, and the show’s success has likely positioned all of the actors to take on different roles once the show ends.

• Badpenny says:

Stana seems to like to do her small independent movies: For Lovers Only, Big Sur, CBGBs, etc. And, thanks to Nathan, she’s been introduced into doing voice over work; as has Molly Quinn. But it could just be that by the time season 6 ends Stana might want to think about getting married and having some children. She’s been dating Kris Brkljac for a few years now and maybe she wants some family time. Who knows.

• AFX says:

One thing missing from the discussion so far is some consideration of the effect a grueling schedule like the one endured by everyone at Castle must have on the personal lives of all involved. Perhaps Nathan Fillion would like to make time for marriage and a family. It’s hard to believe that the kind, generous, and loving man he appears to be would be satisfied to be a part-time parent, or happy to wait two years or more until he could make a move.

• Maria says:

I really hope he doesn’t want to have kids. That’s a 24/7 job…not a “let’s negotiate it down to a 4-day-a-week” job.

• AFX says:

He’s on record somewhere saying that having kids is a goal, and ‘good father’ vibes just pour off him. Three days is better than two days, and ‘now’ is better than ‘some day before I’m 60′. And who knows? maybe there’s a woman in the picture with a tick tick ticking biological clock.

• Just one thing says:

Not to sound sexist — in either direction — but since when does having children hinder male actors’ careers?
            I’m hesitant to make such leaps in regards to either actor’s personal lives. I doubt they’re going to let Castle determine the timeline of their families.

• AFX says:

My impression–based on imagination alone–is that NF is the kind of guy who’d want to be there for every parental moment. If the opportunity is presenting now, what are his options? Continue staggering in at the end of each exhausting week to get a few hours of Daddy time before the long march starts over again? Or do what it takes to bargain for more time off? Or let down the fans and coworkers and bail out? I can’t see that he’d take the last option, and the first is clearly unsatisfactory. Maybe he has a Mr. Fixit plan for making filming more efficient — something that would cut back on the burden for everyone.

On the other hand, I agree with the many other commenters that he seems less dedicated to Castle now than he was, and that the long hours and weeks of filming seem to wear him down. By the end of seasons 4 and 5 he looked tired and bored; his tweets became cranky and less frequent; and his enthusiasm for the character disappeared from interviews. He said once, referring to movie roles he can’t consider, that everything has a price, including Castle. Maybe the toll is rising too high.

• jess says:

I agree with a lot of this. Nathan is 42 – if he’s going to take a shot at a Marvel movie the clock is ticking. He’s more popular now than ever and I think he probably wants to try and make the jump to movies sooner rather than later. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wants to wrap Castle up at Season 6. ABC on the other hand, most likely has other ideas. Castle is doing great in syndication and TNT is going to want more and more episodes and ABC is going to want to keep cranking them out. Happy or not, I think ABC will hold Nathan to his 7-season contract if for no other reason than to keep the episodes coming for syndication. I disagree about Stana. Stana’s in a different boat than Nathan. She really hasn’t had any mainstream success outside of Castle and those little indie films aren’t going to pay the bills. She needs to be on Castle because she’s in front of 14 million people every week. If that goes away, her career could too.

• Just one thing says:

I doubt she’s worried about her career after Castle. Everyone on the show should be fine getting gigs after Castle ends. And they’ve made enough money between the series and syndication where I doubt they’ll be in dire straits.

33. Ana says:

Ok, so by reading the comments of people who are more informed about the show dynamics, it looks like Nathan may be doing whatever he can to get himself out of his.obligation to the show by being difficult and making what appears to he an unreasonable demand considering the show’s shooting schedule. I personally had not noticed any particular focus on Beckett but according to some there has been. I like the show the way it is but honestly, if.Nathan wants out and ABC decides to do a spinoff with Kate in DC with Lisa Edelstein and a new, more appreciative leading man, I would totally watch it. The thing I love about Castle is that the crime stories have always been first and very well written and Stana is fantastic so she could carry a procedural on her own or maybe with Lisa and a new supporting cast. With all the mess going on in DC I’m sure the writers could come up with some outstanding stories. Besides, I feel like Beckett has outgrown her position in NY. As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, the better I like that idea.

• JL says:

Interesting thought about DC but I would not waste Stana Katic on a spin off of Castle. For quite some time her speech pattern, accent, mannerisms, facial expressions, posture etc have reminded me of Grace Kelly. She does not look like her but she can sure channel her. That was fantastically obvious in the Rear Window knockoff episode. When she appeared in that black dress and heels the image was complete. She needs to be in some great movies; start with something with Meryl Streep. The boys need a tv spin off.

• Wdd22 says:

Meryl Streep. Stana Katic is sooo way out of line of Meryl Streep. I hope on less Beckett storyline because I am getting a little sick to watch the Marlowe loves Katic show.

Katic has never been my actress. Way too overreacting. Anyone heard of her before Castle?

34. anna says:

What a lazy jerk. If his co-workers can work five days a week then so can he.

• Badpenny says:

It’s not that he wants to work less. It’s that he wants to make more money. Nathan has been in this business a long time. He knows the studio can’t produce the shows fast enough on a 4-day schedule. It takes 8 days to film an episode of Castle. A 4-day schedule would mean each episode would take 2 weeks to shoot; meaning a 24 episode season would take a minimum of 48 weeks to film. That would extend the work season from 9.5 months to 11 months.
      The 4-day shooting demand is a power-play. Nathan wants more money, and wants ABC to offer him an EP title and the extra pay that goes with it, or he wants them to renegotiate his existing contract, to make working 5 days worth it to him. Nathan knows how much money Castle makes ABC and he wants more of it rather then what he gets due to being force to sign a 7-year contract.
      Many actors on popular shows have done this same power-play.

• Just one thing says:

Wanting more money and an EP title suggests a level of long-term commitment to the show that I just don’t think he’s demonstrated. Sorry.

• lame says:

When you’re working 12-14 days, five times a week, no matter how much you’re making, you’ve got no time to enjoy it. Saturday you’re comatose and Sunday you’ve got 8 hours and the cycle begins again. Take a close look at the faces of the two leads at the start of each season and then again at the end. Pictures are worth a million words.

• Just one thing says:

“Take a close look at the faces of the two leads at the start of each season and then again at the end. Pictures are worth a million words.”
            This, I absolutely agree with. (I’m truly surprised they chose to pick up where they left off on the swings, considering that noted difference in looks.) And I have not disputed that this is a time-intensive job, nor have I railed against the actors for their salaries.
            But I’ve consistently said I don’t think Fillion is doing this for money or for the illusion of creative control. It seems to me, based on things he’s said, that he just wants time away.

• Just one thing says:

And, as has been clarified multiple times here, converting Fillion’s work week to 4 days per week will not change the per-episode production schedule. They’ll still take 8 days to shoot; he’ll just be in less of each episode.
        It certainly explains the rumored infusion of new characters. In some ways, they’re giving Katic a chance to carry more on her end, while also giving Huertas/Dever a chance to carry more on theirs.
        I’m not sure it’s going to fly long-term, but if Fillion wants this badly enough, it’s going to have to work.

• The Ryan and Esposito-centric episodes in Season 5 were very good. I’d love to see Lanie shown as more than “Sassy Black Girlfriend” which is the trope she has been stuffed into. (It’s a well-worn trope. If you want to learn more, check out TVTropes.com, but set aside several hours since the website is addictive.)
          Nt being a big TV watcher I had to google Lisa Edelstein. House? meh. Hugh Laurie will always be Bertie to me.

• Liz says:

It may be that ABC refused any pay rise during renegotiation, and Mr Fillion thought, “OK, give me some time off so I’m not too exhausted after the season to make a little extra (to pay my people) during the hiatus?”

But who knows? Who knows if ANY of this is true? A single source isn’t anything to hang a man by …

35. Andrea says:

So much hate around here. I would like to point out that they were working Friday. Go look at tweets from the Castle art department, people that cut scenes, etc., they were filming. So saying the show was halted is not really accurate. So what if they didn’t film Nathan- the cast/crew were working. So those complaining the crew didn’t get paid are wrong. He has a reason for what he’s doing and not a single person here can 100% say for sure what that is.

36. Elena says:

ну… прям трагедию устроили )))) Катик в феврале раз не явилась на съемки, ей все простили ))))
    и потом, мы же не знаем, как на самом деле обстоят там дела? )))))))) и что они там делят … вполне возможно, что у Нейта на это есть свои причины и совершенно оправданные претензии)))
    я читала, что Саймону Бейкеру, за один эпизод Менталиста, канал платит 400 тыс. баксов, Касл уже давно дорос до Менталиста по популярности, так что ABC могли бы уже и поднять зарплату ) 100 тыс. за эпизод в таком сериале, как Касл… скажем не фонтан..
    главное, что б ему эфирное время в сериале не урезали, а то чудо-женщина Кейт уже глаза намозолила за 5-й сезон… хочу Касла больше! )))

• femmefan1946 says:

Google Translate:
      Well … just staged a tragedy)))) Katik in February was not just the shooting, she forgave))))
      And then, we do not know how the actual state of affairs there? )))))))) And what they share … it is quite possible that this Nate has his reasons and perfectly justifiable claims)))
      I read that Simon Baker, for one episode mentalist, the channel pays 400 thousand dollars, Castle has long grown up mentalist by popularity, so that ABC could have and raise salaries) 100 thousand per episode in a TV series like Castle … say not a fountain ..
      most importantly, what would it air time on the show is not cut, and then wonder woman Kate has eyes namozolil for the 5th season of Castle … I want more! ))) ELENA

37. Steve F. says:

Just hope he’s able to be at SDCC this week!

38. Vina says:

IMHO, the problem is because he treats “Castle” as a job, a bills payer, not something that he passionate about, same with Stana. And meanwhile for some other cast and crew, fans, this TV show is their “life”.

While I understand his decision to ask more out of his contract, I also believe that he should do that more subtly than doing a No-Show at work.

39. Kris says:

If he wants a four day work week then they should just cut his pay and give it to those who will work more.

40. Andrea Aynsley says:

I wonder what brought this on…S6 filming has just begun and already so many dramas we don’t need more from the leading man. I think he’s being a bit ungrateful to the hand who feeds him…I’m sure people in the TV/film industry do those hours…He should be counting his blessings that in this economy he has a well-paying job. But on the other hand, I do understand the fatigue, stress and toll that working long hours for a long period does to a person. But isn’t that what he signed up for?? He should have rested during that hiatus…I mean if not for castle and even with..how famous does he think he is?? He’s still a B list movie star…To me, he seemed a bit jaded in his castle interviews since S5 end and my intuition was proved right that he was unhappy about something. I would agree if this was a message for better time management between takes as he seems to have too much twitter time on his hands to tweet about crap…hopefully his demands are for Stana or other cast members that are in the same boat as well otherwise many would lose respect for this Diva-ish behaviour that is uncharacteristic of Nathan Fillion. So I wonder what’s really going on behind the scenes??

41. sue says:

Face the facts people, fans can only speculate. Usually this tactic is used to secure some type of perk. Could be he wants a raise, executive producer role or is really tired and figures that production could be arranged to film his scenes back to back so a 4-day week be made possible. Or he maybe be trying to force less work for himself. Again, he maybe simply tired. Looking at it from another point of view, I have heard that Nathan is rather sensitive. Stana has become the star and lead character of this show. I don’t know if it is due to her commitment to the character; her better acting abilities; that she has become a popular and likable to fans, her beauty or that Marlowe simply likes her. I, too noted that she and Nathan hardly interacted at the party for the 100th episode. Also note the lack of interaction between Stana and Nathan between takes of the scene at the swings set for the beginning of season 6. Nathan is talking to someone and Stana is sitting on the swings staring straight ahead looking rather sad. She is usually playful and cheerful between takes. She once twitted that there would be no ‘Castle’ without Marlowe, Bowman and Nathan. Jon replied that she should count herself in that scenario. Something had been said and it seemed she was attempting to deflate the situation and stroke Nathan at the same time by taking the attention away from herself. I somehow get the impression that Nathan needs attension and approval more so than she does. Compliments seem to embarass her. And yet I noticed that Marlowe invited her to go with him to his alma mater when he was invited. I think he recognized her excellant speaking skills. They seem to have more in common from an adult level. Also, I think she and Nathan are two totally different people. She likes traveling, new places, new people experiences. She understands and likes opera. She chaired the LA opera one year. She is friends with Placido Domingo. Loves exploring ruins and quaint cultures. The girl is more interesting and more diversified than Nathan, they have little in common. It does not mean they are foes, just different. He is more a one note wonder (Fireflies i.e.) . He would have to be blind to not notice the shift to Beckett (Stana). Also, Stana was selected to represent Castle on TV shows for the 100th episode. In the past it would have been Nathan. (GMA, CNN, Kellyand Michael)
    Nathan is now her supporting character. They started as equals. Remember Marlowe plans the flow of the show years in advance. In print reviews, Stana tends to be show cased and noted for her talent. Stana is now getting the attention. She is everywhere. He admits he likes home and computer games. Food for thought.

• Just one thing says:

Sue, I know what you mean in some ways, but I disagree with others. From an industry perspective, I don’t think Katic was event considered Fillion’s equal in the beginning. The show certainly made it equal footing, but I’m guessing she took the reins in promoting the show for the 100th episode simply because he didn’t feel like doing it.
      And, because she has established her own fanbase now and seems to be a bit more comfortable in that limelight to some degree, it was likely a logical fit. But I do think that the network, entertainment shows, and pop culture magazines have likely gone to Fillion first and her second in the past. Maybe that’s shifted now. Who knows?
      I honestly don’t think Fillion wants anything more out of this than time off set. He doesn’t seem like the type to string the studio/network along for more money when it’s so clear he’s riding the rest of his contract out.
      This means that Katic will probably continue to pick up the slack, being #2 on the call sheet, but if handled properly, it hopefully won’t be too jarringly obvious that she’s had to do so.

42. someone has gotten too big for their boots, clearly. Hasn’t changed my opinion of him.. which is not good. I’ve never liked him.

43. Liz says:

We don’t have all the details, we barely have ANY details, to make any judgement on the situation. (honestly I barely trust any media source these days anyway)

Frankly it disgusts me a little that people are so ready to jump on him just because they, fairly or unfairly, are not making as much themselves.

My guess is that a pay rise is not just for him, it would mean he could give all those who he employs himself (ie pays out of his own earnings) a pay rise of their own. (I’m thinking agent, manager etc)

He’s worked hard, by all accounts a stand up guy and hasn’t always gotten the recognition he deserves (even from so called Castle fans,) so if they’re not willing to renegotiate a pay rise, maybe one less 12 hour day a week would allow him the energy to do other projects in his time off.

• Just one thing says:

If an actor has a team s/he wants to give raises to, unless their is a massive NCIS-like hit, it’s unreasonable to request that the studio or network should accommodate him. Agents and managers already get a contracted percentage of his pay, so that just isn’t excusable.
      It’s a very altruistic take on the situation, but also unrealistic. If an actor requests more money, it’s to help maintain their current lifestyle.
      I do agree he seems like a nice, hard-working guy. But reneging on a contract he signed back when he really needed work, just so he can now have time to work on other projects, doesn’t exactly do the studio any favors and likely won’t make the network happy.

44. Seon says:

To me Castle was always a show of fun. This behind-the-scene behaviour ruins that. I try to smack my head Gibbs-style and hope i forget this article.

45. samson says:

This whole drama reminds me of Robert Sean Leonard from House. He and Nathan are both ungrateful douchebags.

46. Icydevil says:

Wow it’s really sad. Castle is Nathan’s ONLY show that went beyond season 1. It just confirms a lot of people’s fears that he doesn’t like Castle much. The show cos of whom he won 2 consecutive people’s choice awards.

Firefly gave him fame but Castle gave him recognition which he truly deserved but Mr. Fillion be grateful to Andrew Marlowe and Castle fans cos of whom today you can be a “no-show” at work.

• femmefan1946 says:

The only one besides One Life To Live (where he was so popular that they brought him back for the 10,000th show instead of the current actor), Miss Match, and Two Guys and a Girl. And check his Wikipedia bio. He has been working steadily since he left university in 1994 with the exception of nine months in 1999 when he moved to LA from NY.

47. Trista says:

Everybody needs to calm down. Who knows why Nathan is doing this, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

48. Jamie says:

Now I understand the episode of Final Frontier it was a parody of what is gonna be the Life of Nathan in a NOT too far away future..very Clever Marlowe!

So CC will pay your bills Mr. Fillion…
    BTW using the name of Cory after 5 days of being dead was a bad move…and really cold of you!

49. Vic says:

As much as i like nathan i think that doing something like this isnt very professional of him. I understand that he doesnt want to work as much, but bumy delaying production he is letting down everyone on castle his costars who turned up even though they probably have a life too. And how about us fans? We look forward to castle starting season 6. Every minutes is agonising. By delaying, its only making us make longer. Some of us are quite disappointed in him

50. John says:

• Just one thing says:

Back to old-school forum quoting, because the site is being a wee bit wonky:
      From John: “Marlowe recently said that he can see some part of himself on Beckett. That tell you something.”
      It tells me Marlowe is a writer with a capacity to empathize with characters he’s created. I’m sure Aaron Sorkin sees parts of himself in his main characters; Shonda Rhimes sees parts of herself in hers; Jason Katims in his; Amy Sherman-Palladino in hers… The list goes on and on.

• sue says:

I agree that Marlowe probably sees himself in the Beckett character but i will take it a step further. Stana, the person, is a lot like Marlowe. I refer you to the USC tape of their appearance at his alma mater. The interaction and statements between the two were very revealing for me. They tend to share a certain intellect. More importantly the shared respect is so obvious. They really like each other. He respects her opinion and she respects his even more. He left me with the impression that he was showcasing Stana. Not for her beauty but it was like he wanted people who he respects to see what he saw. She attempted to defer to Marlowe during the discussion but he would push her forward. As much as she is impressed with him he is equally impressed with her. This appearance did a lot to explain the Beckett character for me. Stana seems smart enough to accept him as a friend and not over step the line of recognizing him as her boss.

@Sue

I saw the archive of that USC talk, and I agree that the two had a rapport. But I don’t think it’s any different than the rapport Jason Katims would have with Monica Potter or Shonda Rhimes would have with someone like Jessica Capshaw.
          Executive producers often form bonds with their actors. In many instances, particularly in the cases of Katims and Rhimes, actors are incredibly complimentary of and thankful for the work they’re given. (The actors from FNL and Private Practice are a great example of this.) They love diving into their characters every day and exploring new aspects about them.
          Stana Katic has made it quite clear that she enjoys playing Kate Beckett, just as the actors I referenced have often demonstrated passion about their own characters. This understanding between writer and actor, thanks to many hours hashing details out in the trenches, isn’t anything new, really — though it is nice to see.