American Dad Moving to TBS in Late 2014

American Dad Moving to TBS Seth MacFarlane’s American Dad will call TBS home starting in late 2014, after wrapping a 10-season run on Fox.

RELATED | X Factor Opens Fox’s Fall, Bones Set for November Move to Fridays

Season 10 of the animated comedy premieres Sunday, Sept. 29 on Fox. TBS has ordered 15 episodes for Season 11, while sister network Adult Swim will host encores.

American Dad is a great fit for TBS, a favorite of comedy fans who like smart, irreverent humor with ample doses of biting wit and skewering satire,” TBS/TNT/TCM boss Michael Wright said in a statement. “We look forward to welcoming Seth MacFarlane and the rest of his team as they bring this iconic show to TBS.”

1. newinkpop says:

Wow…I’m watching reruns on TBS right now, so shocking

2. Jeff says:

Really? They save this but not Happy Endings? lame

• ggny says:

Because there is alot more money in American Dad. The show does REALLY well in syndication

• Ram510 says:

American Dad is already in syndication on TBS and does well for them (an I’d also guess these deal was quite lucrative for them). Happy Endings would be an untested gamble for them, plus it was USA who was rumored to be most interested.

• Brock says:

Thought the same thing. Love both though

3. Pat D. says:

…and they keep the awful Bob’s Burgers on FOX? Bleh.

4. Tommy says:

@Jeff,

My thoughts exactly… :(. Although this is probably MUCH cheaper than “Happy Endings” to produce

• TV Gord says:

The ratings for American Dad were also MUCH higher. As much as Happy Endings fanatics complain about its cancellation, the fact remains that there were not enough viewers to keep it on the air. At some point, you’re going to have to accept it.

• D'Arcy says:

NO WE DON’T.

Also ABC did the show no favours moving it all the time.

• TV Gord says:

No, I guess you don’t, but no amount of tiresome complaining (and in off-topic stories) is going to bring it back.

As for the movement of the show, that happened because it was so low-rated. The first episode didn’t even crack the top 100 shows for the week, even though it aired after Modern Family. In fact, moving it helped the ratings (a little, but not enough).

5. Ram510 says:

Didn’t see that coming so soon. But I always wondered what Fox would do with their Sunday animation block cause its getting older and it was overstuffed with no room for new shows. Well at least now Couar Town isn’t the only one

6. Badger says:

American Dad and smart should only be used in the following sentence: Smart People do not watch American Dad.

7. Jon says:

You failed to state whether new episodes or repeats.

8. drpara says:

American Dad is easily the funniest “adult” cartoon on TV right now, next to The Venture Brothers and Bob’s Burgers. Though shocking, I guess it’s kind of good since FOX treated AD like a red headed step child when they should be promoting it over the tortured crap that Family Guy has become and the staleness of The Simpsons. I guess I’m vaguely excited by this, if only because American Dad will continue to be on the air.

• Dave says:

The best animated show on TV is Archer, hands down.

• drpara says:

Whoops, somehow forgot Archer on my list but as much as I love Archer, American Dad has so many more laughs where as Archer has better story telling. Though Venture Brothers arches out Archer story telling wise. Love them all equally, it’s nice that we actually have so many great cartoons on air right now.

9. A. D. says:

Yes keep this crap but don’t pick up Happy Endings!

• Julie says:

One has nothing to do with the other- so what’s your point? If Happy Endings had the ratings it would still be around.

10. LOL says:

American Dad is, in my mind, the best animated show on television & it isn’t even close. The fact that it will be on the air in 2014-2015 fills me with joy & the fact that it will be on a better network makes this news even better.
    (Also, while I’ve warmed up to Bob’s Burgers & come to appreciate it for not being a part of the Seth MacFarlane empire, I’d still rather watch Family Guy & The Simpsons on a weekly basis)

11. Kenny says:

I guess they didn’t want the ckeveland show lol

12. antonio raffoul says:

what channel is TBS? please tell me