Under the Dome Recap: Outbreak... Breakout?

Under the Dome Recap Big Jim Finds AngieThis week on CBS’ Under the Dome, a meningitis outbreak landed dozens of people — including several key players — in quarantine, Julia’s investigation of Barbie’s lies led her to a dark truth about her husband, and poor Angie tried to keep her head above water.

Here’s a rundown of new things we learned, new questions raised.

RELATED | Under the Dome Premiere Audience Reaches 17.8 Million Viewers

THINGS WE LEARNED…

• Joe remembers he has a sister. No, really!

• Anyone presenting herself to be a doctor and spouting off some jargon can immediately be put in charge of dozens of lives, because times are that tough in the dome.

• Junior can deliver a rousing speech that almost makes you forget that the boy just ain’t right — and can score him a badge! Egads.

• After his stint with the military, Barbie worked odd jobs — most recently serving as an enforcer for Peter’s bookie in Westlake.

• Linda is almost unrecognizable with her long, lush locks let down. (Someone find me a LIKE button.)

• In response to last week’s question, “When will things get, you know, scary?” — series boss Neal Baer has explained that next week’s episode closes the first arc, titled “Faith” — and on July 29, “Fear” arrives. So… hold tight?

RELATED | Under the Dome Traps Mare Winningham for Mysterious Role

THINGS WE’RE NOW WONDERING…

• How did I know that Angie was totally gonna bungle her scissors attack?

• Why did the military suddenly cut bait, and after blowing off the domers this whole time?

• End result notwithstanding, could Junior have handled “quarantine” duty any worse? What happened to matter-of-factly announcing the understandable, not-so-unusual situation (and discreetly locking the doors for good measure)?

• What sort of gambling was Peter involved in that he resorted to emptying his and Julia’s accounts and borrowing against their home? Why was he asking Phil about hiring a hitman?

• What is up with Joe and Norrie’s simul-seizures? (And how creepy was Joe’s mid-seizure “Shhhhh”?)

• What has Big Jim been up to with the mysterious propane stash that the reverend accused him of “defying God’s will”?

• What went through Big Jim’s bean as he opened the fallout shelter door to (1) find Angie (2) shackled (3) in the flooding chamber?

• What am I to do with this 35-oz. jug of Utz cheese balls that a loathsome TLC series sent me as part of a press kit? If I crack the seal, it won’t end well. (Sorry to bother you with that dilemma, but it’s just staring at me as I type.)

Want scoop on Under the Dome, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. kate says:

I’m hoping this show improves, because I really want to like it. How many episodes has it been? 3? 4? The show is dull, though this week was slightly more interesting. The next couple of episodes are going to make or break.

• Lilly says:

I must have a lower threshold of entertainment because I’m liking this show. There are definitely problems, though, like why they aren’t being proactive to DO things to prepare for long term. Like locking up any drugs or food!

• The trouble is, the problems are escalating. At first I was okay with them, but as it goes on and there’s so many departures from the book, I’m less interested in keeping track. Every time something happens, or is revealed, that’s different from what I know from the book, I mentally roll my eyes and think “Now what? How’s THAT supposed to work?” Most of the relationships are wrong, practically everyone has had a “Come ON! Nobody would do that” scene, and the clumsy injection of foreign material – like the lesbian couple – isn’t accomplishing anything the book didn’t already take care of.

• CountryQueen says:

It’s only been 3-4 days – people are only just starting to realize that this could go on – thus the woman taking the insulin as it dawns on her they may never get out. Things will get very ugly when it all really sinks in.

• Kresh says:

The only reason why I am watching this show is because of the mythology, I gotta say that the relationships are not even fun to watch, there is no chemistry between the actors and the actresses and the awful/mediocre performance that is done in the show isn’t helping the show at all..

= Mythologi is the only thing keeping me from not watching another episode again ^^

2. Cate Amos says:

I say break the seal on the Utz. Anyone who has invested this much time watching is more than likely going to stick it out until the bitter end. I’ve not yet read the book, so I’m still willing to give it a fair shot at redemption despite quite a bit if “stupid-headedness” being employed to inject drama into what is already a tense situation. (Couldn’t Julia have waited until after she got dosed with antibiotics to check out the cabin? It’s not like it was going anywhere.) I’m just glad an episode ended without another death in the Sheriff’s department.

• Cate Amos says:

Just hit me what show is being promoted with Utz. Duh.

• KCC says:

Yeah, why did Julia just have to leave at that time? She put everyone at risk for no reason. And of course, because she a “good” character, her leaving had no real consequences.

• ConnieG. says:

Cate, read the book. It is so much better than this “movie”. I wish Steven King could get someone
      to direct his movies that actually read the book first. This “movie” is so off course, it barely resembles the book.

• Len says:

If I want the book story, I’ll read the book. I don’t understand this obsession that people have than any adaptation must follow the original material. Just watch/read/listen to the original if that is what you want.

3. Simon says:

I thought Ep 2 and 3 were a bit dull too, but tonight I was very much invested again.

4. Michael says:

Just glad that Angie is out of that chamber.

5. PPPG says:

I, for one, like this show. Junior creeps me out

• KCC says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Junior the Hero. That small smile that he gave when his dad praised him was kinda sweet. I can totally see him moving on from Angie to Sheriff Linda.

• CountryQueen says:

Don’t really think you can make someone a hero who has a young girl captive and chained up in a bunker. He had a moment, but he is still bat bleep crazy. Which I love, I think he’s doing a good job – when he smiles – I am creeped out.

6. Mo says:

I think the military question was answered in the preview for the next ep.

Is anybody else worried that Big Jim is not going to be helpful to Angie at all? Well maybe he’ll keep her from drowning…

Joe sitting up & saying “shhh” during the simul-seizures was easily the creepiest moment off the episode. Hoping when they get to the “Fear” arc it’s actually scary.

• KCC says:

That “shhhh” was creepy! I’m not looking forward to the show getting darker/creepier/scarier. Although, I would prefer a sci-fi type show than a study of descent of humanity when trapped in a small space.

• dan says:

The preview for next week also answered my question (from last week) about family members on the outside coming to visit. Looks like they get bussed in! As for Junior, he is creepy and his facial expressions are chilling. But I have to agree that the “Shhh” from Joe was the night’s best moment (along with Sheriff Linda letting her hair down; I didn’t recognize her at first). I thought the psychiatrist treating everybody for meningitis was a little far fetched, but I guess you do what you gotta do in that situation! Better episode this week!

• Bre says:

just a suggestion, the tv show jericho was pretty good in that regard. you should check it out, it got cancelled way too soon though. on the plus side it was scary realistic excluding a few plotlines.

7. ABC says:

The show has been a bit boring. But, because there’s nothing else on on Monday nights in the summer that interests me, I will stick it out. I am ready for people to stop acting so hum drum though, “Oh, we’re under a dome…tra la la…”

8. mjsamuelson says:

So, I’m loving the show, never having read the novel. It’s not A+ television, but hey, it’s CBS and it’s summer. At least it ain’t another formulaic cop/lawyer/doctor show or reality t.v. But I do have to say – no Stephen King fan would be able to sit still during an epidemic that randomly fells citizens (and WTH, it is just GONE in half a day?!), nor through a sink screaming.

9. jmble says:

Am I the only person who was bothered by Joe saying “let me rewind it” when going back to watch the video he just recorded on his iPhone?

10. Seven Gulls says:

My eyes hurt from rolling them at all the glaring gigantic holes in this story. And the sad writing, and the acting, and the sad directing. (Stop screaming Angie, damn! the water is ankle deep. ANKLE DEEP!) So to prevent further eye-muscle damage, I will now stop watching.

• dan says:

Angie has screamed before and nobody heard hear, suddenly she screams with the water pouring in and Big Jim can hear her in the house next door? Odd. I’m glad she’s been found, but I have no confidence that Big Jim will actually let her out. At least Joe asked Junior “have you seen my sister?” I guess Joe realized its been 3 or 4 days since he had seen her.

• If you re-watch, she climbed up the top bunk after Jr. moved her chains, and now that the pipe was broken AND she found an intercom behind boxes, she could be heard through the pipes right up the kitchen sink Big Jim was standing over.

• JEst says:

Exactly. Of all of the things to complain about with the show,Dan picked the one that actually has a sensible and shown explanation.

• canadian ninja says:

You gotta remember, lots of people can’t make the effort to pay attention to a show they’re watching and presumably would want to enjoy but can easily find their way to the internet to complain about it. Possibly because that’s where they actually get their enjoyment from.

11. jen says:

I hope the show is getting better soon, ’cause it’s gonna lose viewers if it’s going to be boring like these 4 episodes. After the first one I had a lot of hope on it. This one is a bit better though, hope it’s getting much better in the next couple episodes

12. Moxie says:

Just open the cheese balls and leave them in the break room or kitchen. Let your co-workers deal with the problem.

13. Singing_gal says:

With your “egads” and cheese ball dilemma, you easily made me laugh, Matt! Better episode for sure though. Lets get scary!!!

14. The Squatch says:

I haven’t read the book so I will just assume that the same thing happened to the character there, but from what I have read in the comments it seems the tv show is deviating from the books already… so I think the show would have actually been better off keeping the Duke (sheriff) character around somehow. Maybe just made him have a heart attack and thereafter could not come within 100 yards or so of the wall without it happening again. He immediately struck me as the best and most likable character and then he was gone.

15. N tTVf says:

Interesting titles for the arcs noted by show runner Neal Baer- “Faith”, “Fear”. Perhaps a couple of more await – “Flight”, “Fate”.

I’m enjoying this summer series, and I recall that the last summer series I really enjoyed was back in 2008, and also on CBS – ‘Swingtown.’ I just realized that the two series do have something (someone[s]) in common – Rachelle L. and Britt[any] R.