It's Official: Jenny McCarthy Joins The View

132467_9146The View has one less chair to fill: Jenny McCarthy has formally been named a permanent co-host on ABC’s venerable chatfest.

VIDEOElisabeth Hasselbeck Bids Farewell to The View: What’s Wrong With This Picture?

“We are delighted that Jenny will be joining us starting in September,” boss lady Barbara Walters announced Monday. “Jenny brings us intelligence as well as warmth and humor. She can be serious and outrageous. She has connected with our audience and offers a fresh point of view. Jenny will be a great addition to the show as we usher in an exciting new chapter for The View.”

McCarthy, who has eight View guest-hosting stints under her belt, gushed, “I’m beyond thrilled to be joining Barbara and the other amazing women at the table. I look forward to helping make hot topics a little bit hotter, and showing my mom that my interrupting skills have finally paid off.”

McCarthy’s hiring comes less than a week after Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s defection to Fox news, and a month before Joy Behar is slated to depart. Walters, meanwhile, is set to retire next year.

Thoughts? Are you more or less likely to take in The View with McCarthy on board? Hit the comments!

1. zigzagzoey says:

Are we supposed to say ORANGE you glad? WTF! She is SO ORANGE.

• Perhaps it’s just the complexion in comparison with her dress?

• White collar suits says:

Ditto!

Oh zigzagZ

U just made my week! That’s hilariousness in your words. Ha ha ha. I truly will not watch the View. How can u have that concept of her being on the show…. And some others.

Now I am silent. I have nothing nice to say regarding Jenny McCarthy

2. Oh, great. A daily public forum for her to convince gullible people of the dangers of vaccines.

• Alice says:

Exactly. Just what we need- a devotee of baseless psuedo-science given a national mouthpiece.

• Annie says:

THIS. What idiot thought it’d be a good idea to give this crazy nutjob a daily network platform?! UGH. Not that I ever watched it before, but I’ll CERTAINLY never watch “The View” now. (Unless Leonard Nimoy is back on as a guest. All bets are off in that instance.)

• nancy kitchen says:

So right, I love Barbara and Whoopi, a little bit of Sherri goes a long way, but I simply can’t tolerate Jenny. She can’t sit up straight, flopping all over the desk and just would do anything to get her face on the camera. She crowds the guest host so that she can be seen whenever the camera is on them. Someone do something about this please, or the show will be done.

• Meredith says:

And without Joy to shut her down. This isn’t going to be pretty. Or good for children’s health.

• It is a fact that there are dangers from vaccines. I don’t know about Autism or other things she has said as I do not follow her much. BUT after my daughter had her second DPT at 7 months she was paralyzed for many months. Her bladder stayed at the size of a 7 month baby and she had to have a bladder augmentation at the age of 8. She has come a long way in 33 years and has worked hard in PT so she could half walk with assistance. Her children have been advised by their pediatrician to not get the DPT shot but they could possibly take it oral version if she wanted to chance it. So don’t talk about gullible people. Maybe the gullible people are the ones that don’t want to listen to the dangers. I am not opposed to the DPT shots but I do think much more research should be done and if the oral version is safer then that is the way to go.

• Julie says:

I’m sorry your daughter suffered like that. But I have done my research and there is no direct link or cause that vaccines are imminently dangerous. Usually there is an underlying cause that makes a child become ill and its not the vaccine directly. I certainly am not speculating that is the case with your daughter, just leyy

• Julie says:

I’m sorry- I was going to say that many of us have done the research so we’re not just blowing steam. Regardless of our differing opinions- I’m glad you’re daughter was okay.

• Sorry that your daughter had to grow up with so much pain. But like Julie said, it is unlikely that vaccines are the direct cause for any kind of dangerous or debilitating disorders and downright impossible to cause Autism. McCarthy was militant about the belief and for years dedicating her life to convincing people her viewpoint of something she knows absolutely nothing about. Seriously, she didn’t do 5 minutes of research with Google and insisted that she was correct. If you look at the statistics, illnesses that vaccines target have been more and more effectively squashed. However, since around 2007 or so, anti-vaccination rhetoric was getting more public attention, especially since McCarthy has been so publicly vocal, and there is a small spike in diagnoses (and DEATHS) lasting until about 2011. Many of these preventable illnesses and resultant deaths can be blamed on McCarthy.
        Yes, there is a small minority of people who cannot safely take vaccines for genetic or other conditions. If your grandchildren’s pediatrician recommends not vaccinating them, then you should definitely listen. But that’s exactly the point: we should be listening to our doctors and not ex-Playboy bunnies with an axe to grind. People who cannot be safely be vaccinated must rely on the health of those who are in order to avoid getting sick. The less vaccinated the public is, the less safe everyone will be.

• White collar suits says:

Just like people in misery likes the company of people in Misery_ dumb people flock to dumb celebrities with a cause.
      Oh goodness. Can I get a refund before I even watch the show?

I am joking. I will never watch the show. I will be busy in line getting vaccines.

3. Georgia Madman says:

So the woman who spreads lies all over the Internet on autism and drugs will be given a regular forum on The View? Wonderful

• Josh says:

Exactly. We don’t need people with different opinions on a tv show.

• liz says:

There’s different opinions, and then there’s ‘opinions’ from ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about. Her views on autism are wrong and flat-out detrimental to children with the condition; sharing her ridiculous viewpoints with concerned parents who are confused and unsure.

• Jeri says:

Exactly–objecting to mandatory vaccines on moral or religious grounds and would be opinion or viewpoint based.

Telling people that vaccines give children autism is spreading misinformation and dangeorus. There’s a difference.

4. Talmidge Mcguliger says:

Great, more time for to spread dangerous and disproven theories about Auitism.

• White collar suits says:

Maybe she will say vaccines cause obesity! Or that vaccines are linked to bipolar disorders. Or that it causes insomnia.

5. qj201 says:

one blond idiot out, another blond idiot in

6. jake says:

Anything is better than friggin Ms. Better than everyone else Hasselbeck! Never could understand how that bimbo got the job on View.

• Jeri says:

Well, at least Hasselback isn’t responsible for convincing multiple parents not to vaccinate their children, thereby destroying the herd protection widespread vaccination gives and endangering many, many children.

Personally, that’s worse that just having different moral beliefs.

7. TV Gord says:

As one of my friends just said, “That’s the shot in the arm that show needs!! Oh…wait….” LOL!

• MC says:

Lol, funny. I just saw a Talk Stoop interview with Jenny. Short and sweet. I don’t think I will enjoy large doses of her, however. She might be a little too full of herself. Less is more with many celebrities these days.

8. Tammy says:

booooooooooo I like Jenny but I don’t want a daily dose of her. I was hoping for Ali Wentworth!

9. Jon says:

I stopped watching The View today after the Dan Abrams segment. Will never go back again… unless they announce Sherry will be leaving.

10. Alex says:

i hate television, it gives me headaches

11. sccates says:

Absolutely NOT a fan!

12. BMC9999 says:

UGH! I was finally hoping that once Joy Bahar, Barbara Walters and Elizabeth left I could actually watch the show but it seems that it will be just more of the same. Jenny McCarthy has had failed talk shows and I am not sure why any TV executive thinks she will be good for this show. It just shows the complete lack of imagination. I for one (still) won’t be watching – will be over at Wendy Williams and The Talk instead.

13. aryn says:

Adios The View, don’t think I can take 5 days a week of Jenny – sorry, not a hater just think it will become the Jenny Show especially with Joy leaving, and Babs soon after that. I’ll try it and see, but not it’ll change my mind.

14. Ellen in NYC says:

Anybody better than Elisabeth, though I have no interest in watching Jenny McCarthy. Would have preferred Ali Wentworth. Funny and smart. This was a missed opportunity to improve the show.

15. I watch this show daily but I won’t be watching with Jenny McCarthy! I am not a fan of hers. She is very annoying! Sorry to say good bye. Could have picked someone better!

16. Brooke says:

Oh god, just what we don’t need. Shouldn’t some intelligence and integrity have been required? She is responsible for real damage to people who believed her blather about vaccines. Shame on the people who chose to hire her for The View.

17. The beginning of The View’s downfall. Hope ratings will sink like the Titanic. :-(

18. Laura says:

With bigmouth Joy gone yes I may start DVRing the show. I respect Jenny and the research she has done on vaccine safety. People should take the time to READ unbiased research instead of being mindless sheep

• jj says:

how is she unbiased? Real scientific research is unbiased research and don’t support her claims.

• Jeri says:

Exactly–what research has she done? Research isn’t just believing everything you agree with on the internet.

• I’m certain that everyone who shares an opinion on vaccines with Jenny McCarthy have never done any research on the subject. There’s a website that used to solely target her but has since renamed itself to focus more broadly on the anti-vaccine movement instead. The old URL jennymccarthybodycount.com still works, however. Take a look at everything there, confirm the information by looking up other sources. Educate yourself, for eff’s sake. Also, read this article about how her son doesn’t even really have Autism. http://hollywoodlife.com/2010/02/26/jenny-mccarthy-says-her-son-evan-never-had-autism/

• Brooke says:

Um, you might want to educate yourself on the veracity of the single piece of research she used to arrive at her conclusions. Even the person (I can’t say “scientist” to refer to him) has admitted he falsified the information for monetary gain. There is no research supporting the view that vaccines cause autism.

19. Maureen says:

Thank God Whoopie isn’t going anywhere—–YET. Was Brooke Shields ever in the running????

20. Steven says:

How many kids will die if she’s allowed to blather on with vaccine lies and made-up non-facts to The View’s built-in low-information audience? Irresponsible.

21. psychichleaking says:

I rarely watch now but I will stop watching entirely because of Jenny McCarthy. Only person who will be the voice of intelligent reason will be Whoopi once Joy & Barbara go.

22. liz says:

That’s disappointing. She comes off so fake, don’t like her at all. She acts like she’s an authority on things she’s clearly not, which is patronizing. She also tries to pretend she’s “just like us” the regular people, but she’s got this attitude to her that gives off the impression that what she actually thinks is that she’s SO perfect.
    Ug. Can’t stand her. Wish it was Ali Wentworth or Brooke Shields

• MC says:

That’s been the trends with Jenny in recent years. Sometimes I think it’s a little too easy for pseudo-celebrities to get a book (or books) published. It seems to go straight to their heads.

23. trish says:

Oy, I was afraid of this. I CANNOT STAND her Chicago twang. Gonna stop watching once she’s on!

• .................................. says:

I watched the View since it’s inception and there is no way in hell I will watch with this overbleached, big-mouthed, skank from hell, who has no talent. Only watched for Joy anyway.. Cant stand the ghetto Sherry and her strut into the show (does she KNOW she’s ugly?).. just sayin

24. Lisa J. says:

I like the choice. She’s controversial like all the cast members on The View and will bring an interesting voice. She pushes edges and challenges convention in intelligent ways, without demanding agreement. It seems many of commenters are intimidated by that. In my opinion, we need more of it!

• Julie says:

No offense but comments like these are so unfair. It’s not intimidation if you don’t like someone’s outlandish theories and general craziness. You think she’s an intelligent woman and that’s fine. But not liking her for this job does not make us intimidated by her. I think there are women who are far more intelligent, funny and controversial in a thought-provoking way that could have been chosen for this show. It’s just a difference of opinion.

25. Ava says:

Does Barbara Walters have any credibility left? She just announced on Friday that the seat wouldn’t be immediately filled and now, on the next episode, is announcing it has already been filled? What?

26. Oh good. another reason not to watch this drivel

27. J V Smith says:

I’m so glad it’s her. Now I don’t have to even try to watch it. Show is old, cancel it!

28. Adam says:

I like Jenny McCarty – I think she’s funny and energetic. However, I do think her views on vaccination and autism are misleading and dangerous to a confused or uninformed audience, so I do worry about her another pedestal to express those views. Hopefully the topic doesn’t come up. Even if it did, surely Whoopi or someone would argue against her, though.

29. Julie says:

After watching her interview on Howard Stern this year, can’t take anything she says seriously now.

30. april-ann says:

I never wanted to miss The View back when it was intelligent ie. before Hasselbeck. I continued to watch sporadically always hoping her days there were numbered. Stopped watching altogether about six years ago when it became obvious she wasn’t going anywhere. I don’t know enough about Jenny coming aboard to comment on it, but what I do know is that it will take more than that to bring me back after all those years of waiting too patiently for Hasselbeck to finally be gone.

31. Pat says:

Well, I definitely won’t be watching anymore! I can’t stand her!! I don’t understand her popularity. She reminds me of the Kardasian’s-all talk no substance.

32. Bobbi says:

I have been a pretty regular viewer of this show for years. No longer. I cannot stand Jenny McCarthy and will not subject myself to an hour of her on a daily basis. Very bad choice.

33. Mark says:

Well I don’t like this news. I find her very irritating. If Brooke Shields gets the other spot, I’m officially done. I’ve watched religiously since the 2008 political campaign coverage because of the interview of John McCain that they did. I liked Elizabeth, mostly cause she went to BC too and I thought that was neat. Anyhow, hopefully they get someone interesting and engaging for the fifth spot and actually with some semblance of intelligence.

34. BrianR says:

Wow does her IQ equal her breast size or is it lower.

35. James says:

So dumb when people crack on others for having different views than their own. it’s the point of the show people! Ali Wentworth is hilarious. Need a conservative too!

• Jeanette says:

Ali Wentworth should have been the replacement… She is so awesome and funny!!!!! (and doesn’t have that better than everyone else attitude). Whoopi is the only saving grace left on that show and I don’t think that will save them for long. Sherri needs to get a job along side of Al Sharpton.

36. Alison says:

Yeah, I can see The View production meeting. “Hey, let’s add egotistical, bubble-head ex-playmate who uses well-debunked pseudo-science to convince her fellow dimwit moms to not give their children life-saving vaccinations. Yeah, that’s it! ’cause if a celebrity says it it must be true! The audiences will love it!”

She’s dangerous. Plain and simple.

37. pfoggy says:

Look, she can wear all the “brainy specs” she wants, but if considering that she’s got no relevant education whatsoever and that overall, her biggest claim to fame is not anything that she personally acomplished, but that that she used to date someone famous or that she’s happy to show you her boobies (if you give her some money) it’s really best to leave that there sciencey stuff, to like, actual scientists.

• White collar suits says:

I agree.

What does she have to offer?

Her view. But there is nothig substantial or even proven regarding her views on vaccines.
      That vaccines cause autism? Well perhaps they cause childhood diabetes too.

professionals able to diagnosis and find early signs of conditions……….as time goes by and as technology advances. This has no direct correlations to autism or ADHD or anything else.

She has nothing to offer the public that will benefit the greater good either than the reminder of what happens when we don’t get an education.

Hey knowing is half the battle. I’d rather he-man all day long than watch her for 5 minutes. And that too is painful

38. just me says:

MEH…

39. melinda says:

Well, that does it for me, I don’t know who made that decision, but thinking they will regret it in a few months. It will not be the VIEW anymore, it will be the ONE OPINION of ONE from now on, I mean really???

40. Amy says:

In Australia, the anti vaccination nutters get told to disband by the government. In the US, they get given a talk show.

41. White collar suits says:

I have to comment again. This is like a bad infomercial. We don’t need this. So why are they trying to sell her to us?

Same things goes for a stranger giving me candy as a child. I have to say no.