The Newsroom Premiere Recap: Into the Mess-tic

Get More: Premieres, Recaps

The Newsroom Season 2 Recap PremiereRemember the “American Taliban” comment Will lobbed at the Tea Party in the final hour of The Newsroom‘s first season? Sure, it was all fun and triumph and patriotic idealism at the time. But as we learn throughout the opening episode of Season 2, Will’s snarky insult is the first domino in a Rube Goldberg-like progression that, as it trips along, causes Reese’s ouster from a meeting of DC power players, Jim’s relocation to the Romney campaign bus, Mackenzie’s hunger for the story of the century, Sloan’s awkward fist-pump and Maggie’s truly awful haircut.

But I’m getting ahead of myself here, and Marcia Gay Harden and the ACN legal team get paid far more to walk us through the episode-long flashback than I do. So let’s let them take the lead as we review what happened in “First Thing We Do Let’s Kill All the Lawyers.”

RELATEDThe Newsroom Recruits Entourage‘s Constance Zimmer

TROUBLE AHEAD, TROUBLE BEHIND | We catch up with Will as he’s being interviewed by the cable channel’s counsel, headed by Harden’s Rebecca Halliday, at a time that’s not now but is closer to now than the events that take up most of the hour. Confused yet? As the episode unspools, we gather that at some point in the 14 months between last season’s finale and this season’s premiere, News Night aired a segment alleging that the U.S. military committed a war crime by using nerve gas abroad. The show later retracted the story about the so-called “Operation Genoa,” but heaps of trouble remain.

Just then, a random staffer wanders in and asks Will about the rundown and OH MY GOD THAT’S MAGGIE. You’ll forgive my not immediately recognizing her: She’s dressed like a Lilith Fair roadie and her hair, aside from being now red, looks like she went into SuperCuts and asked for the Hannah Horvath special. After Maggie leaves, Rebecca notes that Ms. Jordan’s appearance will matter if/when the current spot of bother goes to trial, because she’ll be a character witness. “What the hell happened to her hair?” she asks, and a protective Will informs her that Maggie went to Uganda for a story (um, okay?) and “It got real very fast. She came back a little messed up.”

From his posture, tone and general look of disdain, Will clearly doesn’t want to answer any more questions. And Rebecca clearly doesn’t care. So she makes him go back to the beginning, starting with the fallout from his “American Taliban” shot. “What happened then?” she prompts. “A lot,” he says, tiredly.

THE COST OF FREE SPEECH | Just like that, we’re in late August, 2011. Will’s anti-Tea Party rant gets ACN president Reese shut out of a Capitol Hill meeting about the Stop Online Piracy Act, which makes Mama Leona very unhappy – and she tells Charlie to rein Will in. So after a broadcast with two near-calamitous control-room mishaps (of which Will, humming Rebecca Black’s “Friday” to himself in the studio – ha! — remains blissfully unaware), Charlie pulls the cantankerous anchor off the network’s coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Will makes some good points – “For the record, I compared the Tea Party to the Taliban, and we were attacked by Al Qaeda” – but Charlie says the anniversary of the attacks is “just not the day to have the argument.” Will concedes, and they agree that he’ll conveniently come down with the flu just in time for Sloan and Elliot to take his place.

Though Will acts like he’s OK with the change-up, he’s really not… as MacKenzie can tell when she calls and interrupts his patio pity party later that night. (Side note: I don’t know that I would be able to be sad about anything for long if I had Will’s primo New York real estate, complete with Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic” pumping in the background. Conversely, I don’t know if I’d ever get any sleep if I had MacKenzie’s bedroom, which appears to look out on the neon insanity that is Times Square. Don’t you maybe wanna pull the curtain, Mac?)

LIVE FREE OR DIE | Jim can’t handle Don and Maggie acting like a rom-com couple – and he’s not interested in Maggie’s pleas that they return to being good buds — so he volunteers to fill in for an injured ACN reporter who has to take a break from covering Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign. (It’s completely ridiculous that a senior producer at the channel’s biggest show would ever take a gig as one of the boys on the bus, but like the Uganda thing, you’ve just gotta kind of get over it if we’re going to have any fun this season.)

MacKenzie grants Jim’s wish when he likens his situation to when she “blew it” with Will and ran off to Peshawar to lick her wounds. So Harper drives all night to New Hampshire, where Romney’s advance staff is not psyched about Will’s take on the Tea Party and bans Jim from the bus in retaliation. Nice. Back in New York, Washington D.C.-based producer Jerry Dantana (Hamish Linklater) arrives to be nuJim for the few weeks that Harper will be gone. Jerry is eager for News Night to cover U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan; when Sloan is also hot on the topic, an on-air panel discussion is born. The who-cares-who-dies-as-long-as-they’re-not-American military expert Jerry brings in is a little too gung-ho for anyone’s good – but Will, not wanting to appear anti-American after the Taliban brouhaha, refuses to challenge him during the show.

When the military expert – who’s clearly trying to make a name for himself — senses that News Night probably won’t have him back, he desperately pitches a new story to Jerry. The tale is “the kind that makes careers and ends presidencies,” old military guy says super dramatically, and because Jerry is also trying to gain a foothold at ACN headquarters, he’s intrigued. We now know this is our intro to Operation Genoa’s cover-ups, black ops, yadda yadda… Hey, what are Don and Sloan talking about in the other corner of the newsroom?

I’M SORRY. I CAN’T. DON’T HATE ME. | The pretty financial whiz has been filling in for Elliot, meaning Don is her executive producer, meaning they probably have lots of opportunity for conversation every day. So… why is this the first time they’re talking about their “Why are you still single?” “Because you never asked me out.” interlude near the end of last season? Maybe they were hoping that time would help the talk be less uncomfortable? They were wrong. Don casually tosses out that he took Sloan’s emotional nakedness “as a joke,” which forces her to play it off as though he’s right on track – but they both know he’s not. Arrgh. I’m not sure which is worse: Sloan’s hella dorky arm pump (which I loved for all of its ridiculousness) or Don’s reason for why he’s got to get home to Maggie: “I’ve got a 13-day streak going of being a good boyfriend.” Ick.

But when Don returns to his apartment, Maggie’s vindictive plot contrivance cousin has emailed him a link to a YouTube video of Mag’s Sex and the City bus breakdown – in which she admits (loudly… to a double-decker stuffed with tourists – one of whom decided to capture the moment via smartphone) that she’s fallen for Jim. Maggie wakes up as Don is packing to spend the night in a hotel; he says Lisa will take her back as a roommate – so they did move in together – but that Maggie’s best friend hasn’t seen the video and he didn’t alert her to its existence.

I’ve gotta say, Don doesn’t appear very broken up about this turn of events; rather, he seems to be happy that he managed to hold off on screwing things up until his bumbling blonde girlfriend did the honors. “I spent this whole time thinking I was a bad guy for not being in love with you, but it turns out…” He leaves, advising her to call Jim and “tell him to get off the f—ing bus. We’re trying to do the news.”

WRAP IT UP | Elsewhere, Neal becomes interested in the nascent Occupy Wall Street movement. “I believe America is on the verge of starting its own Arab spring,” he tells anyone who’ll listen. Well, as long as we’re not overhyping it… And MacKenzie and Will wind up at the bar, where they have a conversation in which the lyrics to The Who’s “You’d Better You’d Better You’d Bet” are used as a parallel for both Will’s relationship with his audience and MacKenzie’s relationship with Will. Then, just in case we didn’t get it, MacKenzie and Will have a discussion about how the lyrics mirror both of their situations. We heard you the first time, Sorkin.

GOTTA SING! GOTTA DANCE! | The show’s regular musical-theatre mentions seemed nearly nonexistent in this episode, save a visual callout of a Memphis topper on a cab in the background of a scene. As always, if I missed any, shout ‘em out in the comments.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the show’s new opening? Were you pleased to see Maggie and Don split again? What’s your theory for what happened to Mags in Uganda? Do you agree with Charlie’s removing Will from the 9/11 coverage? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (86)

• Wouldn’t will’s decision to make the new intern recite musical theater history facts count as a mention?

Comment by Ashley – July 14, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will made the intern look up the 4 musicals that won Pulitzer. She started naming them and he cut her off.

Comment by Meg – July 14, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He had her look up 8 musicals actually, not just that but people associated with them like the librettists, etc. Actually pretty ridiculous and Will’s that boss people dread being called in to see. I mean that’s a lot to memorize in that amount of time, esp. when this is an intern who’s supposed to be doing something news related even if it’s getting coffee for someone working on actual current news projects. Quit messing with the people working under you under the guise of education. That makes you an obnoxious boss, not endearing (even if you think musical theater is awesome, and it is). Wouldn’t it make more sense to assign her to write a segment relating to Broadway musical theater history even if you don’t actually use it on the show so she’d learn the stuff and have practice doing things internship-related at the same time? Just make it sound like a NewsNight piece written circa 2010 when Next to Normal won and look back on the other winners. She’s not interning with Ben Brantley at the New York Times and she’s not getting her BFA in musical theater. Chill out, Will. PS. Random theater thing but “Into the Mystic” was part of a soundtrack a director put together for a play I worked on so I completely had flashbacks.

Comment by scooby – July 14, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was teaching her how to fact check actually. Which played nicely off the earlier screw up and the live “fix”.

Comment by Kiki – July 15, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if the new season of The Newsroom is even boring than the first.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 14, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You comment has been noted and deemed unnecessary.

Comment by Rook – July 14, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you ever figure it out, please let us know.

Comment by wordsmith – July 14, 2013 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then don’t watch – there is plenty of other choses on Sunday nights for everyone. great thing about tv is we have chooses. don’t waste your time commenting on shows you don’t like.

Comment by LMK – July 15, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Musical theater mention: Will forced the intern (of Why Is America the Greatest fame) to do some quick-turnaround research on broadway musicals, and she came back after the Charlie convo and began to recite them.

Comment by MS – July 14, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show gives me a headache. If I talked as much as these people, I would have a sore throat by the end of the day. Exhausting.

Comment by Frank – July 14, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you forgot Will having sorority girl look up the info

Comment by Tom Charles – July 14, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly don’t care that this is a self-important, condescending, idealistic and snobbish show–I love it. I will continue to love it. I thought it was great and I really look forward to seeing how the season goes

Comment by TK – July 14, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My sentiments exactly…

Comment by Dominique – July 14, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also!

Comment by rhewtani – July 15, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I think the Newsroom target audience is smart enough to strip away the dramatics and know what the show is trying to do. And I love it too. At the end of every ep, I can’t wait to see whats next. Since it is history, we all know what is coming, but I love to see how it unfolds and discovered.

Comment by Lainie K – July 15, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with you! Love Newsroom!

Comment by JAO – July 15, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You missed Will’s directive to “sorority girl” to list 8 Broadway musicals that have won the Pulitzer etc.

Comment by LA Gal – July 14, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. Great recap.

Comment by Chablis – July 14, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer last seasons opener.

Comment by Kathy Padgett – July 14, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, but it’s very hard to top those first five minutes.

With that said, when you think of the second season premier of The West Wing…this was definitely no “In the Shadow of Two Gunmen.”

I liked it though! Aaron Sorkin is pretty much my kryptonite.

Comment by popculture420 – July 15, 2013 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a part in the Bin Laden ep. last season where Jim says, “And now I get to make a cool exit,” and Lisa replies, “Not as cool now that you said that.” This is what Sorkin’s writing tends to feel like.

Comment by Savannah – July 14, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot. On. Good call.

Comment by Melanie – July 14, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not as gripping and enjoyable as season 1 opener. But PLEASE have this be a final Don/Maggie break up. They are both so wrong for each other.

Comment by Daven C – July 14, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I soooo agree!

Comment by katrina – July 14, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by Maryanna – July 14, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it will be. I think the Uganda trip and haircut is going to be a foreshadow to being abused/gangraped in one of the arab springs. A way of art imitating life.

Comment by Scooter Smith (@scoboot) – July 15, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! It needs to end, it’s getting annoying just like The Killings red herrings! Arghhhh.

Comment by what! – July 15, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you can tell Sorkin and his producers took a 180 when they read all the critism for season 1. this episode had a drastically different feel then last season. not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, yet. liked the episode but it didn’t quite have that umph the series opener had, but definitly intrigued to see where it all goes. I knew that sex and the city thing would come back around, Karma’s a b*tch ain’t it. hopefully as others have suggested this will be it for Don/Maggie.

Comment by James D – July 14, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that too about the 180, particularly with how quickly they broke up Don and Maggie in the first episode after having just shoved them together in the last season finale. I think that definitely happened because of criticism over the first season. Sorkin had to find a new direction to go with them.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 15, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry. I can’t. Don’t hate me. — well played.

Comment by soo – July 15, 2013 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I was the only one who noticed and came here to see :) Yay Kimberly :D

Comment by ilona – July 15, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truly great headline – I saw it and smiled immediately.

Comment by cc – July 16, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep forgetting that I have to pay attention when watching this show, I got to the end and felt like I’d have to watch it again just to properly understand what was going on!

Comment by Hannah – July 15, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I pay attention the first time through, and I still feel after every episode like I need to go back and watch it again to catch everything. I enjoy that about Aaron Sorkin though! (I feel the same way about the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series too…I really need to go back and reread all of them.)

Comment by popculture420 – July 15, 2013 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ditto!

Comment by bobbie – July 15, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oops, that’s what I meant! It’s clearly not enough attention that I’m paying, and I like it too.

Comment by Hannah – July 15, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shows like “The Newsroom” is responsible for the poor political discourse in America. The show and it’s producer Sorkin is not saying the other side is wrong (which is okay) but that the other side is evil. So why should I waste my time with a show that is constially going to bash me and others who think like I do.

Liek other Sorkin shows, this is a fantasy. And is going to be fini this season.

Comment by Syvyn11 – July 15, 2013 02:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Syvyn,
      No you’re as wrong as wrong gets. Shows like “The Newsroom” only display the poor political discourse in America. Those responisble for it are on the RADIO and on FOX news.

Comment by fxalbert – July 15, 2013 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? Don’t go thinking you get away with this comment unquestioned.

Can you name one instance where FNC acted in a irresponsible manor? This weekend I counted 20 such acts of irresponsiblity on MSNBC, CNN and HLN.

Get used to it. Liberalism is going on the ash heap of history.

Comment by Syvyn11 – July 15, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You clearly didn’t watch the season opener. It was openly critical of the Obama administration (drone strikes to be precise), and quietly critical of Republicans too.

It’s a show Sorkin uses to show the poor political discourse in America, it’s not the cause of it.

Comment by liddad – July 15, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You clearly didn’t watch the other episodes. Slightly critical of Obama on this, yet calling the Tea Party a bunch of Taliban. Seriously? That’s equal? Name one time in Season 1 where the Obama administration or democrats were called to carpet? Don’t bother picking up more than one hand, you won’t need the rest of your fingers. I love the acting in this show, I love the banter between the characters, but this is definitely a biased uneducated presentation of politics and the events as they were happening. It’s fiction, but i can see many lazy people watching this assuming its fact.

Comment by will – July 17, 2013 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They made a very strong argument about the Tea Party using the words and actions of the Tea Party members. The problem isn’t with the show, it is with the Tea Party. It’s not like FOX News where they just pull things out of thin air and then all act like it is true. The Newsroom writing takes time to build an argument based on actual events that happened. As Stephen Colbert has said, the right doesn’t care for facts, because facts have a liberal bias. I see you’re trying to suggest the facts on this show are fiction, but those are ACTUAL CLIPS of the Tea Partiers, thos are ACTUAL QUOTES of what they said… and we have been paying attention to their actions and I’m glad shows like the Newsroom have brought a spotlight upon those actions. You can put your fingers in your ears and scream all you want that it isn’t true… but that won’t make the world flat.

Comment by Uncle Milo – July 19, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are people who watch FOX and people who watch CNN. This is reality. Each of us has our own due North. If you feel Newsroom does not represent your political views, you can either watch to learn about the other side or change the channel. Sorkin never promised to be evenhanded with his beliefs. He is in television, not politics. But, keep in mind, this is the reality of Cable News. Unlike Network news, they don’t have to be balanced, because they have a target audience to which they are directing their views.

Comment by LMK – July 15, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So you’re agreeing that this is a very liberal based view on politics even thought the premise of the show is “Tell the Truth”. Yep, so you’re okay with this as long as it fits your political stance, and have no issues with them being hypocrites to their own main theme?

I don’t care which side this weighs heavily on, it’d be great if the show actually tried to be what it claims it is through it’s scripts versus just a way for Sorking to get his uneducated political views on TV.

Comment by will – July 17, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The point is, this is fiction and it is doesn’t have to be evenhanded with ‘the truth’. It is Aaron Sorkin’s truth. I think you underestimate the audience who watches Newsroom. I would like to think that we are all intelligent enough to have our own opinions and political views and not be swayed one way or another based on words in a script. But, like I said before, some people watch FOX, some people was CNN, some people watch MS-NBC. Newsroom clearly mirrors one of these cable news networks. You can either watch Newsroom and have a cursory interest in the political views (whether they happen to be yours or not), and enjoy the characters (whether you agree with their actions and beliefs or not), or you can change the channel. There are plenty of shows I do not watch on tv because I don’t like them. I also don’t bother taking the time to read reviews or post comments on them either. Again, don’t underestimate the Newsroom audience- we aren’t lemmings following Sorkin’s every word. We just tune in to see what is going to happen next and enjoy how it is rolled out. If you don’t, change the channel. I respect your right to do so and your reasons for doing it.

Comment by LMK – July 17, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least it’s properly marketed as scripted fiction. Unlike Beck, O’Reilly, and the rest of the super rightest group that function under a stretched definition of “news,” rather than opinion and then are treated as gospel.

Comment by M – July 15, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And MSNBC is “news?”

Comment by katrina – July 15, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To the stupid left, MSNBC isn’t just news. It’s gospel.

Comment by Syvyn11 – July 15, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think you should stick with Fox, Syvyn. You can pretend it’s real news.

Comment by Beth Herron – July 15, 2013 04:58 PM PDT
    • Grrrr!

That’s about all that can be said about your post. You’re not evil. Just narrow minded. And it hurts you when that is spelled out very clearly.

Comment by LM – July 15, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You taking a comment that you don’t agree with and calling the person who said it narrow minded is pretty darn hilarious don’t you think?

Comment by will – July 17, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my goodness.I don’t think you are in the Newsroom target audience, Syvyn.

Comment by sparkyfoot – July 15, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of things I LOVED about Newsroom was the opening music, cast & credits in season 1 & I’m sad they changed it for season 2. It had an old school feel to it & I loved it. I guess I’m a creature of habit though.. I got bummed when they changed the opening cast/credits/music on Bones too. Lol other than that no complaints here… I’m looking forward to seeing this story that will be told throughout the whole season. (I’m agreeing with all who said I hope this is the final final Don & Maggie break-up, when the smoke clears, she belongs with Jim)

Comment by Rachie – July 15, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU! I’m glad I’m not alone in the opening credits change…

Comment by JW – July 15, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My wife and I both said, “Hate the new arrangement of the theme.” We didn’t mind the visuals, but the original theme was FAR superior. But maybe its that, while the original gave us a feeling of nostalgia and hope, this reboot intends to give us a sense of chaos. It’s rare that HBO changes the opening credits of their original series, so the fact that this was SO different from last season really stood out.

Comment by Myke Perrey – July 15, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I really dislike the change to the opening credits. The first season’s was an insta-classic; this season’s is just kind of boring and lame in comparison.

Comment by maltru – July 15, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like when shows change or tweak the opening every season. Babylon 5 did that back in the day, Weeds did a variation on it (with Little Boxes), HBO’s own The Wire did that for all 5 of it’s seasons.But the tweak needs to be good. I’m not a big fan of Season 2′s change, but hopefully it changes against for Season 3 and we get something epic again. The first one sounded big, dynamic… the second season’s theme just seems so small-time, like something I’d hear in the background while playing The Sims.

Comment by Matthew – July 15, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The original opening was very powerful.

Comment by bobbie – July 15, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I worked in several newsrooms, both radio and tv… No one talks that fast, are as glib, cutsy, self-important, obnoxious. Will is a total bore.
    Gailsie

Comment by Gail morgan – July 15, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one would watch a show about what it is really like in tv, radio or newspaper news. They have to amp it up and make it more interesting and exciting. The point of the show is to focus on those moments that come up so rarely in everyday news. Newsroom is fantastic in the ‘ah-ha’ moments, where we realize a nugget of information they are offering us is going to to turn into a big news story. We are in on the story and able to take the journey of discovery with the staff and reporters on the show. The characters are all a little over the top, but its the quiet moments of vulnerability that make me love them. Will sitting at home nursing his wounds because of the 9/11 newscast- we all know he is as patriotic as the next guy and wanted the opportunity to be part of that newscast- to talk about how far America has come and how far we still have to go since that fateful day (channeling his words- or Sorkin’s words perhaps). That scene is something we can all relate to- listening to Van Morrison in the dark and trying to center ourselves. That is what makes him more human than the guy who hazes the intern asking her to look up Broadway show info (and you know that was an exercise in seeing how dedicated she was to the job and how good she was in research btw). I love Newsroom. It is my new Lou Grant. It feeds the part of me that minored in journalism and wanted to be part of the BIG SCOOP. My feeling is if you rather not watch history and news unfold is to change the channel.

Oh, and if Newsroom does for teens today what Lou Grant did for me- light the fire to go into writing and journalism- that more power to it!

Comment by Lainie K – July 15, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be new to watching Sorkin shows. :) Glib, fast talk, cutesy, and self-important is pretty standard for Sorkin writing. I’ve come to love it because I’m a total pretentious snob, but I can definitely see its pitfalls.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 15, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Britta, I read your comment, and it was like I was reading my own thoughts. I wholeheartedly agree, one totally pretentious snob to another. :-)

Comment by cc – July 16, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode just as much as any one from last season. Love this show and everyone in it. Jeff Daniels singing Friday basically made my night.

Comment by dude – July 15, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been singing that song all day today- and it’s only Monday!

Comment by Kathleen – July 15, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was a solid opener, Jeff Daniels is so underrated! He was great last night! You can tell that Sorkin/writers are music lovers, they have good taste.

Comment by what! – July 15, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At last…scenes that SHOW us that McKenzie is a good producer instead of Sorkin just telling us she’s a good producer and expecting us to accept that. Maybe the writers listened to us complain about how emotionally inept the female characters were last season. I hope that the prominence of the Genoa storyline will be accompanied by a dialing-down of the office romances in The Newsroom. I’ve worked in some local TV newsrooms, and while I can’t say there were NO newsroom romances, they were nowhere near as front-and-center as they are in this show.

Comment by Myke25 – July 15, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was something! The opening is just different I need to used to it! I love that every time I need to paying attention to every line and story. Is not happening in tv very often now. Finally Dan is over with Maggie and I hope for good. Yeah what’s up with Maggie’s hair??? That was just awkward! But I have a question what happened with bodyguards that Will had from insurance company? No more treats? Lots happened, lots is going to happen and I just can’t wait!

Comment by ilona @ilonarcari – July 15, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, where is Lonny? I’m sure he’s around.

Comment by what! – July 15, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn you, Sorkin, for making me cough up for premium cable. *shakes fist*

After binge watching the first season while on the HBO free preview I couldn’t help myself. I lurved it.

Comment by M – July 15, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED season 1 of Newsroom… but last night’s episode was beyond boring. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for an intense episode every episode but 20 minutes in, it felt like 2 hours. If as it appeared, they were setting up the dominant Season 2 story line that will carry across each episode. It would have been handled better in larger portions of the episode being dedicated to one character vs trying to set up every single character. It was too fragmented and dull. Hoping next week’s is better.

Comment by Hoping for Better – July 15, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can give credence to all the complaints about the first season and some that will probably leak over to this season; Will is a pompous windbag & MacKenzie did sometimes come off like a woman more interested in her school girl crush than she did with with her job, but whatever, I don’t care. I love the show & I loved last night’s premiere episode.

Comment by geekgrrl77 – July 15, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A show about old news, tough enough to sit through for the first season (lucky they didn’t have to weather ratings or I doubt there would be any second season), only works a second season if during the first season the writers had bothered to develop any of the characters into anyone we actually care about. Since that did not happen, The Newsroom S2:01 was over for me at about the 8 minute mark. I even hung on another 2 minutes to make sure. I’m sure.

Comment by William J Bernstein – July 15, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t believe this show is about the actual news. Given the presence of Leona, Reese and in a large part, Charlie, I would wager Sorkin’s target is not the news itself but the way it is presented, perhaps a veiled attack on Murdoch and his “news” organizations.

Comment by Kiki – July 15, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will told Rebecca if what happened to Maggie happened to her Rebecca would still be in a room crying. If she had survived it. Maggie&Uganda = Lara Logan&Egypt – look it up. I’ve never been more sure of the direction of a storyline than I am with this one.

Comment by Kiki – July 15, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! That was exactly my thought when I was watching last night. They are totally going to do a Lara Logan parallel.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 15, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX Opinion. It’s not news. When the information reported is good or bad, it’s opinion.

Comment by LM – July 15, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just came here cause i just started watching the episode and OMFG Maggie’s hair (and clothes) are…the worst possible. Like wow…i was JUST starting to find Alison a bit attractive and they go and do that to her? :/
    I dont think im going to like the “all season covers one day”…i liked the show being about events and how the newsroom team reacted/reported on those events…now its just turned into a drama. :/

Comment by M3rc Nate – July 15, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watched more, apparently its important to the story and i think it has to do with in africa to not be raped she made herself look like a boy? Or something, so i take it back.

Comment by M3rc Nate – July 15, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the first season, looks like I’ll love the 2nd

Comment by Sam – July 15, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked the premiere, seems to be setting up a lot of stuff instead of starting with a bang… Not such a bad thing.

My only nitpick is that I prefer Thomas Newman’s original theme music to the remix they apparently are going to use this season. :)

Comment by Carla – July 15, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie’s hair has got to go. It’s way too horrific and distracting. Lilithfair roadie indeed.
    I agree with the comment above that they are doing a Lara Logan parallel with Maggie. That was my first thought too. It’s a way of bringing that story into the show without actually involving Lara Logan. Which is probably the better way to go. I’m sure if I had been sexually assaulted by a group of men I wouldn’t want it talked about and displayed on a national TV show either. It’s better for them to fictionalize it. Just my opinion.
    I wasn’t crazy about the flash forward scenes with the lawyers. I was confused, I didn’t like that they weren’t giving us the full story. What can I say, I am an extremely impatient person. The scene in particular with Mackenzie and the lawyers was very confusing to me. I couldn’t understand what she was talking about with her decisions setting things off. Maybe I need to rewatch the episode. Overall it wasn’t near as exciting as the pilot. It felt like it dragged a bit. I love the show though, I’m sure I’ll get more into it as I see more episodes.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 15, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as to why maggie might have gone to uganda on a story, i suggest the recapper read up on the uganda “kill the gays” bill that was going through the legislature in 2012, and was backed by many prominent american convervatives.

Comment by ecs – July 15, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed in the first episode of season 2. First it was the change in the opening sequence(LOVED season 1′s). Then it was Maggie’s look. She even looked bad when they did the flashback, somthing seemed off… The whole relationship thing will get REALLY tired if they milk it out like in the first season. Then they had a long rant scenes about Drones, which felt like a boring subject. IDK if I want a storyline to go throughout the season. I liked last season with current events happening every episode. BUT out of all the current events to chose from they do the Occupy Wallstreet Movement…. ?? This felt like a season of Damages but instead of being based in a law office, it’s a in a cable channel. I liked Season 1, or at least for the first half-or so. But this opener had be reliving the boardness of the end of last season. Hope it gets better….

Comment by TVMAN – July 15, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely Brilliant season premiere.

Comment by TeresaBs15 – July 16, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited this is back on! Also, I totally love the back and forth between Sloan and Charlie…. “No, I make nerds look gooood.” LMAO at that conversation.

Comment by cc – July 16, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved that version of van Morrison song. Called into the mystic, looked everywhere but couldn’t find that version with the heavy bass line. Anybody know.

Comment by Rob – July 20, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post