Glee Star Cory Monteith Dead at 31

Get More: In Memoriam

Cory Monteith Dead at 31Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room Saturday afternoon. He was 31.

The cause of death was not immediately known, but foul play was not suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

According to reports, staff at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel discovered his body after he missed his check-out time.

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Most Memorable Glee Moments

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic news,” read a statement from Glee producers, Fox and 20th Century Fox Television. “Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.”

Last March, Monteith entered rehab for substance addiction, forcing Glee to write his character Finn out of Season 4′s final stretch. Upon his release one month later, the actor said to fans, “Sending out big love to everyone. Thank you for the continued support! It means the world to me!” He made his first public appearance last month when he attended the Chrysalis Butterfly Ball charity gala in Los Angeles with girlfriend and co-star Lea Michele.

Monteith, who had been candid about his struggles with addiction, previously received treatment when he was 19. He told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was “lucky to be alive.”

Monteith’s colleagues and friends took to Twitter early Sunday morning to express their shock and grief.

Comments (174)

• Finn was never my favorite character, and I especially disliked most of his choices and storylines the writers came up with in the last two seasons. Between behind the scenes interviews and cast panels, however, I grew to like and respect Cory as not only an actor, but a person. His passing has affected so many, if social media is anything to go by, despite his too short career. I hope his family and other loved ones can find some comfort in how beloved he was, not only by the fandom but his peers and others as well. You’re in my thoughts, Frankenteen.

Comment by Thea – July 15, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Lea?? Aww he was my favorite male Glee character aside from Matt Chang. He will be greatly missed and Glee never the same such a tragedy.

Comment by SL – July 15, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadness.
    Prayers.

Ummm where r the so called monitors of this site? We need to take out the trash and delete these posts that do not belong.

Shameful_these people!

Comment by White collar suits – July 16, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad! Yet another talented young guy taken way to soon…my heart breaks for his family.

Comment by Jesse Faulkner – July 16, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant believe it he was awesome i loved him and he was so young

Comment by Bella – August 2, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ιt’s thhe best timee tto make some plans for the future andd it is
    time to bе happy.I’ve reɑad this post and іff I could
    I wannt too suggest yoou some interesting things or
    advice. Perhaps you could write next articloes гeferring
    to this article. I desirе to reaɗ mօkre things about it!

Comment by San Francisco Entertainment – March 22, 2014 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post