Glee Star Cory Monteith Dead at 31

Get More: In Memoriam

Cory Monteith Dead at 31Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead in a Vancouver hotel room Saturday afternoon. He was 31.

The cause of death was not immediately known, but foul play was not suspected. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

According to reports, staff at Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel discovered his body after he missed his check-out time.

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Most Memorable Glee Moments

“We are deeply saddened by this tragic news,” read a statement from Glee producers, Fox and 20th Century Fox Television. “Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.”

Last March, Monteith entered rehab for substance addiction, forcing Glee to write his character Finn out of Season 4′s final stretch. Upon his release one month later, the actor said to fans, “Sending out big love to everyone. Thank you for the continued support! It means the world to me!” He made his first public appearance last month when he attended the Chrysalis Butterfly Ball charity gala in Los Angeles with girlfriend and co-star Lea Michele.

Monteith, who had been candid about his struggles with addiction, previously received treatment when he was 19. He told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was “lucky to be alive.”

Monteith’s colleagues and friends took to Twitter early Sunday morning to express their shock and grief.

Comments (174)

• Such a sad loss of a young man who was loved by many. May you rest in peace and catch the high he couldn’t here and live it forever So sad your demons took you so young

Comment by Blondie – July 14, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P SO SORRY TO HEAR, HE WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED AND MISSED, PRAYERS AND HUGS TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS : (

Comment by Traci Villalpando (@traciv1968) – July 14, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Cory

Comment by Ashli – July 14, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Qué descanse en paz. Life will go on but he will stay with all of us. My best wishes for all his love ones. You need to be strong and as one of my all time favourite quotes… “Be strong, Keep Living”

Comment by jm – July 14, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So heartbreaking to hear about this, I’m so shocked and sad, RIP Cory.

Comment by Maris – July 14, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such shocking news. He always seemed even with the success of Glee to be the same guy. No matter what the cause still soon for a life to end.

Comment by Jenny – July 14, 2013 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well… :-( ….i am trulx out of words to this tragic incident. God is the one who gives, and he is the one who takes,let us pray that he gives us strength to accept what we cannot change. Ladies and gentlemen,your pain is my pain,your sorrow is my sorrow and so are your tears. May his soul Rest In Iternal Peace! :-(

Comment by Maximilian De'Angelo – July 14, 2013 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a terrible thing to happen to a wonderful, kind, cheerful, talented, loved human being. Prayers sent to all who loved him. So sad to hear this news. RIP Cory.

Comment by Cheri – July 14, 2013 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am deeply saddened.

Comment by Moonpie – July 14, 2013 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So,sad.tragic loss for his family and Lea.

Comment by dorothy kobolka – July 14, 2013 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We were at our 20th HS reunion when we got the news; that was the topic of conversation among our circle.

Lea may have been the show’s star, but Cory was the show’s heart. And he seemed like a genuine good guy who was determined not to let his past define him, but unfortunately it took him from us far too soon.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and loved ones (especially Lea Michelle – losing the person that completed you is heartrending).

Comment by Steve F. – July 14, 2013 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lea may have been the show’s star, but Cory was the show’s heart.

Wonderfully put.
      Yeah, my heart goes out to Lea right now. I can’t imagine. Poor thing.

Comment by Angela – July 14, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its so sad, didn’t believe it when my mum said oh there saying that guy from glee had died, I said it was a hoax
    have no idea whats going to happen with glee, its been renewed for 2 more seasons, and they’re now going to have to come up with something and im not sure if lea’s going to want to return, I mean who is going to want to go back to the work where you meet you best friend and boyfriend who suddenly passed away

Comment by Louise – July 14, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in tears here this is so sad to looses such a talented young guy dont know how glee will deal with this news or how poor lea will return to that show i know i couldnt do it taughts and prears go out to his family and friends R.I.P cory

Comment by Peter Wall – July 14, 2013 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching Glee, but recently my brother started re-watching Kyle XY. I had no clue he was on there. Even before Glee he had a promising career. One of the few people I wish I could’ve met. Everything I’ve read shows how incredible a person he was. :(

Comment by Esaul – July 14, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad right now almost feels like losing a real friend, I was a fan of Finn and Rachel on Glee and now that his gone it will never be the same…..Prayers being sent to his family and Lea…

Comment by K. – July 14, 2013 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s just shocking. He was the face of Glee and while not everyone liked Glee everyone loved him. He just seemed so happy and caring and a wonderful guy. :(

Comment by Midori4 – July 14, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news, my heart goes out to his family, on screen and off.

I’m also thinking about you, Michael, as I know you and your staff consider many of the celebrities you interview friends. I’m sure this is hard for you as well.

Comment by Amanda – July 14, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is incredibly sad news, and my prayers go out to both his actual family and his Glee family. A lot of people on Twitter (and I have no idea if this is true) are saying that Lea and Corey were actually engaged and quietly planning a wedding, which if it’s true . . .I don’t even know what that must feel like for her.

Comment by Andrew – July 14, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad Finn wasn’t my favorite character but Cory’s death is a terrible loss. I wish everyone who knew and loved him the best. I hope the show can find a way to sensitively handle it

Comment by Taryn – July 14, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So very sad to hear this… I am shocked and stunned beyond words. Go to the Light Cory …

Comment by JAO – July 14, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Cory

Comment by Elyse – July 14, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a Gleek, this is a tragedy, Finn was the only character who reflects the truly spirit of the show the last season. So sad about this tragic news, I can’t imagine Lea and the rest of the cast and crew of the show surviving without Cory. GOD BLESS YOU CORY.. FINN HUDSON WAS THE GLEE OF MY LIFE

Comment by Fernanda – July 14, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What terrible news to wake up to. Been a Glee fan from the beginning. I actually was lucky enough to meet Cory at a screening and Q&A of Glee a few years back, and he was the sweetest guy. Addiction is evil.

Comment by Eggy – July 14, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so sad. I was shocked to hear of Cory’s passing. But, folks, we don’t know the cause of death! Speculation only hurts his family and friends, I e suidide, drugs. We don’t know! R.I.P., Cory.. You will be missed.

Comment by GMom100 – July 14, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so sad to see someone so young and so talented be taken so soon, whatever the reason. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and Lea during this extremely difficult time.

Comment by angelfire17 – July 14, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t cry over celebrity deaths even if I am deeply saddened by them. But this was the exception. I truly cried when I found out about Cory’s death. And I didn’t even like Finn. This is tragic. Words feel inadequate. Those closest to him must be utterly devastated. My thoughts are with them.

Comment by Ana – July 14, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lost a brother to alcoholism. So sad right now for his family and friends.
    R.I.P. Cory. You are loved and will be missed by many.

Comment by Jenna – July 14, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never been into Glee, but this is just heart-wrenchingly sad news. He fought his demons hard for such a long time. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who loved him.

Comment by CJ – July 14, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve probably watched five total episodes of Glee, but I knew about Cory’s struggles with addiction from reading TVLine. This is indeed very sad to hear.

Comment by Andrea – July 14, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So tragic for a young man. May this teach anyone out there who has a substance problem to see help!! Your life depends on it!! RIP Cory!

Comment by Jean bohrn – July 14, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He seemed to be loved by all who met him. A generous, kind and wonderfully down to earth guy. He deserved so much good in life. This news is such a tragedy. Glee will not be the same without him. So many fans, cast members who were like his family, his family and Lea Michele the love of his life will forever changed by his passing. My thoughts and prayers go to all who knew and loved this gentle soul. I pray for Cory.

Comment by Cheri – July 14, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish for once the press would let the coroner do his or her job BEFORE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS!!! Who know what it was. Even if he was clean, his heart was most likely weakened by his years of admitted addiction. It is so sad. I feel terrible for his family.

Comment by Jen – July 14, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people keep asking how Lea feels or sending her their sympathies they should be sending sympathies to his mother and father who lost a son and to his brother who lost a brother who have known him for his 31 yrs.

Comment by Olivia – July 14, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People have their rights to send their prayers to everyone, but maybe people give their prayers to lea the most because she basically the closest person to him. His mother don’t see him everyday so it must be devastated but imagine the impact for lea who sees him on daily basis especially when they seemed also as best friends before anything romantically happened. She’s so young to take this all in so it must affects her significantly

Comment by Igo – July 14, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What i’m gonna miss the most about him is his warm and friendly personality. What i’m gonna miss the most about glee next season is the absence of impeccable chemistry between cory and lea :(

Comment by Igo – July 14, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read this news hours ago, and I’m still stunned. Such sad news.

Comment by Lorie – July 14, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god. This is so sad. RIP Cory

Comment by Taryn Groves – July 14, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am just stunned by this news. Cory seemed like a truly nice man and he and Lea Michele were so sweet together. I also loved Finn and Rachel on Glee! I can’t believe he is gone! It sounds horrible but if it were Amanda Bynes, Lindsey Lohan, Charlie Sheen or some other trainwreck I wouldn’t be as shocked but Cory looked so good and seemed to be so happy with Lea and getting his life back. If this is drug related I hope they find the dealer, lock him up and throw away the key! My heart goes out to Cory’s family and to poor Lea Michele. I truly can’t imagine the pain she must be feeling…to lose her friend, co-star, lover and the guy she probably planned to spend her life with…the pain must be devastating. I hope FOX postpones Glee’s next season and gives her time to grieve. I don’t know how she will be able to even be on the set with only memories of Cory.

Comment by Lisa – July 14, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee has been changed by this tragedy. All the lives he had touched throughout his lifetime, so short. Such a wonderful human being. His family is broken hearted. His Glee family is also. Glee was supposed to start the 22nd of July. How could they, so soon after this. The timetable for Glee is all up in the air for now. So many lived affected. Lea and Cory had the main roles on and off the set. All of Glee, especially Lea, will need time to come to terms with it. Glee is just a show. It can start whenever the Glee family can move on. But, it won’t ever be the same.

Comment by Cheri – July 14, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still stunned this has happened, i love the show but i just cant see how the cast and crew can go forward from here with it, i cant begin to imagine how tough it would be to work on the show on a daily basis, people will be breaking down into tears on the set for a while so I agree, postpone or finish the series as of today, BUT with one last special episode:

A two hour candid behind the scenes special on Cory, with the cast and crew, let them share their memories of the time they spent with Cory on the show.

Use this special episode to inform the public that addiction can be fought off…as Cory had previously done, teach people that no matter how dark or depressed help is just a phone call away, their are friends and family out there that love you. Look at how we all feel right now at losing Cory and 99.99% of us never knew him personally.

At 19 Cory’s family and friends staged an intervention that turned his life around and though he still had demons and self control issues he had an amazing and fulfilling 12 years until his untimely passing.

So promote this fact to the world, celebrate his life and the show, celebrate the fans for what the show gave them and Cory, hope.

To his family, friends, his cast and crew mates i offer my deepest sympathy’s. I’m still so stunned.
      Rest in peace, Cory, rest in peace.

Comment by Adam J – July 14, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see this. Drugs are killing so many people and some even close to us. He was an amazing actor and such a joy to watch. These drugs are killing to many people, so we need to all fight against this before it takes anybody else. Corey was so young and this tragedy was such a waste. I have watched him on Glee since the beginning, so it will be hard to watch it without him. My prayers go out to all his family and easpiasally Lea michale. I will miss him so bad. These drugs are taking too many lives, we need to stand together and fight this. I love u Corey and u will be missed. Glee will not be the same. RIP.

Comment by reney Barnes – July 14, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY! I have watched “Glee” for a long time. I may have thought Rachel was irritating. But I loved Lea and Finn and Cory. I woke up this morning and saw the news and I literally screamed out “WHAT?” and showed my brother. He’s going around like its normal since we’ve gone through the Michael Jackson and the Whitney Houston deaths. But when Michael Jackson died I was like 7 yrs. old and barely knew what was going on all I knew was that the guy who sung my favorite songs was gone. And with Whitney Houston I barely knew her but my mom loved her especially since she’s known Whitney her whole life. Now I know how she felt. I am distraught completely distraught by this terrible, TERRIBLE, news. I really can’t believe it. I never gone through something like this before. And I’m so, so, so, sooooooooooo, sad by this. I cannot imagine watching Glee again. I just keep hoping that this is a rumor or that its not real but I cant seem to wake my self up. so I just really need to go find a room to myself and cry. Because I don’t think I can continue this day without doing that. R.I.P Cory. I and everyone will truly, TRULY, miss you. Love you Cory.

Comment by Angel – July 14, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just went on a marathon of Glee Season 3 and watched the finale last night!
    I was wondering about the Finchel storyline because they didn’t have anything about them in the finale.
    Poor Cory! He was a great actor and singer. He’ll be really missed! Prayers to his family, friends and Lea. R.I.P!

Comment by Sam – July 14, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very sad! so young..R.I.P

Comment by t86 – July 14, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad indeed

Comment by charlotte – July 14, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Innocent kid?
    look at his history he was no innocent. He may have been 17 but he was hardly innocent

Comment by dee – July 14, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before people condemn him for his faults and flaws in his life, we are here to express how we feel about the man, the kind man, gentle heart and soul, giving, loving person to all whom he met. People on the street. Fans or not, he was always kind and giving of himself to others. He made his mark on the world and the world felt it. So many people have publically commented about his passing that had to show how well liked and revered he was. We will find out soon how he died, so, let us not judge him.
    We are human with frailties and flaws, not one person is flawless. So, no one should have be making preconceived ideas about the cause of his death. Assumptions always lead us on wild goose chases.
    I wish to remember Cory as the humble man who grabbed my heart and kept it. I believe he made a turn for the good in his life and was living a dream full of happiness and joy. We all have demons of various kinds that drive us. Cory was the kind to have positive words to encourage others not break them down. No matter what happened to him, I will always consider Cory as a positive role model and am proud to say that openly. Because it is true. He was a force of goodness and truth. It was a motto he showed us to live by. Many positive and worth while character traits that Cory possessed that I will forever be grateful to have seen and experienced. Be at peace, Cory.

Comment by Cheri – July 14, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only watched the show a few times, but I thought he was very charming and it is sad to hear someone so young leave us before his time. R.I.P. buddy

Comment by DonDraperSaysWhat – July 14, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad and shocked to hear this…..it reminds me of the same shock I felt when Heath Ledger died. Both so young….

Comment by Erin C – July 14, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh…Kory…I saw you only once…. also I remembered forever …

Comment by Dmitry – July 14, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh…Cory…I saw you only once…. also I remembered forever …

Comment by Dmitry – July 14, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP, we just lost a very talented singer.

Comment by Property Thailand – July 14, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so sad about cory monteith such a young and great person my prayers go out to his family and lea may he rest in peace.

Comment by sonia – July 14, 2013 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad one of da beef actor we all fell in luv wit had 2 die b4 da next 2 seasons wow now I feel glee will neva b da same

Comment by aly – July 15, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post