Ratings: Winning Start for Game Night, Rookie Blue Dips, Big Brother Rises -- Plus: Sharknado!

Jane Lynch Hollywood Game NightNBC’s Hollywood Game Night claimed a quiet victory in its debut Thursday night.

The Jane Lynch-hosted series placed first at 10 pm with 4 million viewers and a 1.3 demo rating, matching last week’s Macy’s fireworks special and giving the Peacock its best 18-49 rating in the hour since April.

Elsewhere, ABC’s Rookie Blue held steady in audience (5.2 million) but dipped 17 percent in the demo (1.0 vs. 1.2) compared to its last original episode two weeks ago, while Motive (4.6 million, 0.8 rating) notched a series low in both measures.

CBS’ Big Brother, meanwhile, surged 18 percent from its last live episode to earn the night’s biggest demo rating, tying Fox’s Hell’s Kitchen (2.0).

UPDATE: And last but not least (OK, maybe least), how did Syfy’s Sharknado do? While it exploded Twitter and such, the TV-movie drew 1.4 million total viewers, with 566K landing in the 18-49 sweet spot — up 29 percent from the cabler’s 2013 average for an original movie. Sharknado also scored the youngest median age (46.8) for a Syfy pic since Zombie Apocalypse (Oct. 2011). Vote for the sequel title here!

Syfy will re-air Sharknado next Thursday, July 18, at 7/6c.

1. keith says:

Nice throwback to the 70s when stars were drunk on tv. I liked it. Good simple fun games.

• Kim R says:

I just watched it last night (Game Show) and it was funny. I laughed out loud. :) I will watch again for sure. :)

2. TL says:

Soooooo people really aren’t upset about the “racist” Big Brother and CBS is taking it to the bank? Just as I suspected.

• jasie says:

What is there to be upset about? I don’t agree at all with the comments that some of the house guests are making but I am glad that CBS isn’t just sweeping it under the rug and they are finally showing who these people really are.

• dan says:

I agree! I don’t like what certain houseguests have said and I don’t condone their racist, homophobic, sexist comments, but they are showing their true colors to the world. CBS is letting them do it and the other houseguests are starting to call them on it. The viewers are now seeing more of a real-world (as “real” as it can be in this made-for-reality-tv studio house) situation as opposed to the petty fights we often see on BB. I can’t imagine that certain houseguests will last much longer in the house and they certainly won’t be embraced by the public once they are evicted. I think CBS has actually handled this in an appropriate manner as opposed to just kicking people out for stating their views as abhorent as they may be to many/most of us. This is the “real” world, just ask Paula Deen!

• jenna says:

I really hope CBS shows the latest drama that went down last night. Howard and Candice slept on the floor because they were forced out of their bed by the racist commentors. SO glad helen won HOH!

• JB Smooove says:

yeah, that was great tv on bbad, espec when amanda came in. im so glad howard kept a level head. you cant let those little sh-its ruin your game…let alone your life.

• Midori says:

This is amazing new thing we should try…

If you don’t like Big Brother or the racist, sexist, homophobes on the show than don’t watch it. It’s what i do.

• JB Smooove says:

I like that these mental midgets go around spouting thier hate. NOT because i agree with it, but because now you know they are horrible people. they do not deserve to be in the bb house. they do not deserve to win this. and honestly, the loss of jobs should be the least of their worries. they should be shunned into repentence/forgiveness when they get out. these young idiots have no clue how to civil, respectful people in life. if knew these losers, i would disavow knowing them.

3. Chris says:

I kinda liked Game Night, but it made me wish they’d bring back Hollywood Squares.

4. Rookie Blue will adjust up to at least a 1.1. I know this is an excuse, but the constant breaks and the push up to the 10PM (this season) is really screwing up the show.

• sarah says:

I am pretty sure last year it was on at the same time 1000pm.

• Kim R says:

It is my #1 summer show and I totally forgot it was on last night because of all the breaks in the airings. They need to cut that out and just play it weekly.

5. Rookie Blue will adjust up (at least to a 1.1). I know this is an excuse, but the constant breaks between episodes and time slot change to 10PM has really screwed this season over.

• Margaret says:

it’s always been on at 10pm, but the scheduling has been a little all over the place this season. with the NBA finals then the 4th of July falling on a Thursday. bummer, bc the episodes have been really good!!

• K. says:

I love Rookie Blue also and hated all the breaks but also hate that Andy and Sam are not together, I think the show has lost a little something with them two being apart..

6. sarah says:

I enjoyed Hollywood game night, I only watched it though as it was on earlier than RB for me. That is not good about RB, I think lots of people are upset at the jumbled schedule this summer for RB. However I still love the show and will keep watching.

7. Midori says:

Game Night was OK, but it was way too scripted and forced. Plus half the games wre really stupid.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Exactly! I really wanted to like it, but I wanted ad libbed, loosey-goosey fun from a really funny cast. Instead, I got forced one-liners and canned laughter. I was let down.

• J says:

my thoughts exactly! Im still looking forward to the SNL vets episode though

• JCK says:

I turned it off. It was advertised as being like a game night in Jane’s home. With a band????
          Matthew Perry and Martin Short had hairstyles that looked like they’d been electrocuted. And the entire thing was too forced. No thanks, and I really like most of the stars who were on the show.

8. ZigZagZoey says:

I loved Hollywood Game Night! I LOVE Martin Short so much! ♥

Well, I am upset by the BB stuff. They need to get that girl OUT OF THERE. This should not be tolerated. I get FURIOUS seeing people treat other people so badly. I can’t imagine how mad I would be if I were Asian or Black or gay….

• wrstlgirl says:

I’ll be shocked if she doesn’t go on the block this week. Hopefully she’ll get voted out, they should have enough votes to make that happen easily. That is if someone doesn’t win Veto and take her off.

9. Boiler says:

How can anyone watch Big Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? Like Motive and Rookie Blue. Sometimes I think Canada gives us better shows

• liz says:

*presents Orphan Black, Lost Girl, Continuum, Arctic Air, Degrassi, Bomb Girls and Murdoch Mysteries as supporting evidence* lol

10. lariet50 says:

BUT WHAT ABOUT SHARKNADO???!!!! :)

11. Tater says:

Really enjoyed Hollywood Game Night… Not very sold on Jane as the host though…She would be a great contestant…But I actually believe the host should be the guy they ripped off this show concept from in the first place… Jimmy Fallon. Also instead of so many different game maybe they should do fewer games but play them longer.. Just a thought. I think once word spreads about the show it will be a hit.

12. Matt says:

I loveeeeeeee Jane Lynch. I really do. Everything she does is gold……except hosting this. It felt really forced. Her dialogue felt way too scripted. The most honest joke she told was the one about reading from a teleprompter. I really wondered if that was the only time she was ad libbing.

• Kim R says:

I feel the same way. Jane Lynch is so talented but this was a little forced for her. If she was running the games at my house I would have told her to calm down, rein it in, act like a normal person. :) I did like the show a lot though.

13. topsyturvy says:

Um, it seemed a bit “sexist” to me that four of the celebrity-centric games revolved around men (Depp, Pitt, Hanks, Cruise). Why not game around Bullock movies or putting pictures of Paltrow in order?

$25,000 does seem awfully … modest.

• James C. says:

You don’t think “rank these women’s faces from youngest to oldest” would have come off as sexist?