What to Watch This Weekend: The Newsroom Is Back, Dexter's Practice Makes Perfect and More

the-newsroom-season-2-300On TV this weekend: 666 Park Avenue ends, Batman begins, a new villain welcomes back Being Human and The Newsroom‘s second season goes live. As a supplement to TVLine’s features (linked within), here are 15 programs to keep on your radar.

SATURDAY, JULY 13

10 am Beware the Batman (Cartoon Network) | Series premiere: Batman (voiced by Anthony Ruivivar, Southland) stops vigilantes from taking their revenge.

RELATEDSave the Dates: Your July Calendar of More than 70 Premieres and Finales

8 pm Zero Hour (ABC) | Hoping Theo is alive, Beck searches for him; Mr. Galliston becomes involved in a confrontation.

8:30 pm The Haunted Hathaways (Nickelodeon) | Series premiere: Michelle Hathaway (Ginifer King, Struck By Lightning) and her two daughters move to New Orleans and discover their new house is haunted by the ghosts of a father and his two sons.

RELATEDCable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

9 pm 666 Park Avenue (ABC) | Series finale: Jane is shocked when she learns what happened to her mother when they lived at the Drake years ago. (Get a bit of scoop from Rachael Taylor.)

10 pm Being Human (BBC America) | Season 5 premiere: Alex, Tom and Hal meet poisonous pensioner Captain Hatch (recurring guest star Phil Davis, Silk).

SUNDAY, JULY 14Rectify_Day_3_06-14-12_0072.JPG

9 am – 3 pm Rectify (AMC) | Catch up on all six episodes of the acclaimed Sundance Channel drama, which follows a man (Aden Young, The Starter Wife) who, with the help of his sister (Critics Choice Award nominee Abigail Spencer, Mad Men), must reconnect with society after spending 19 years on Death Row.

VIDEO | Austin & Ally Sneak Peek: Can the Gang Turn Ally’s Awful Dancing Into a Good Thing?

8 pm Big Brother (CBS) | Three houseguests are nominated for possible eviction (while this year’s showmances continue to gross me out).

RELATED | Julie Chen Addresses Big Brother Players’ Racist Comments: ‘I Took It Personally’

9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Sookie enlists Lafayette to summon her dead parents, while Pam finds herself in dangerous territory.

9 pm Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) | Kim and Grayson defend a dog owner (guest star Michael E. Knight, All My Children) whose pet is accused of impregnating another dog.

9 pm Dexter (Showtime) | Dr. Vogel tries to prove to Dexter that he’s perfect as a psychopath.

9 pm Shake It Up! (Disney Channel) | We’ve seen the future (or, TVLine’s Matt Mitovich and his kids have) and it involves Community‘s Yvette Nicole Brown killing it as a psychic who complicates things for Rocky.

PREVIEW | Falling Skies Star Previews Masons’ Mission, Teases What May Be the Best Episode Yet

10 pm The Newsroom (HBO) | Season 2 premiere: Will and the staff are grilled by a lawyer, and an on-air remark gets Will pulled from Sept. 11 anniversary coverage. (Just one remark?) Watch video, get scoop.

10 pm Crossing Lines (NBC) | A hostage situation causes the team to move fast.

10 pm Copper (BBC America) | Annie creates a rift in Corcoran’s home; Eva finds an unlikely confidant in Donovan.

10 pm Devious Maids (Lifetime) | The arrival of Genevieve’s brother (Richard Burgi, Desperate Housewives) complicates matters for Zoila, whose heart he broke years before. How do you say “awkward” in Spanish?

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

Comments (42)

• Dexter definitely.

Comment by Andy – July 12, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEXTER

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 12, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter!

Comment by ryan – July 12, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zero Hout, Park Avenue, The Killing, and Falling Skies.

Comment by Joey – July 12, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood and The Newsroom.

I’ve been looking forward to The Newsroom for months but I’m not sure I like what I’ve heard so far. I’ll give it a few episodes though.

Comment by Chris – July 12, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same. I’ve been waiting for the S2 premiere for 10 months, but the spoilers I’ve seen so far make me worried.

Comment by c – July 13, 2013 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish it was more then nine episodes.

Comment by hater4life – July 13, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know 666 Park Avenue never really caught on with viewers, and I know it had its odd moments, but I still loved watching this show and will miss it!

Comment by Matt – July 12, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope the Series Finale 666 provides more answers than the Finale of Cult.( Which was none)

Comment by Whatever – July 13, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter, Newsroom. Maybe Rectify.

Comment by Emily – July 12, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may be in the minority, but I’m excited The Newsroom is back. Been re-watching last season all week to get myself ready!

Comment by Ashley – July 12, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, super excited!!

Comment by Aly – July 12, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m ready!

Comment by what! – July 12, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with you! I’ve watched the first season so much, it’s sad!

Comment by MEGANNA – July 13, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Must see: Beware the Batman! Dexter!

Comment by what! – July 12, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Drop Dead Diva, True Blood And Devious Maids Gonna Be Incomodo!!! :0

Comment by Augusto Angulo – July 12, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad I checked TV Line tonight before heading out of town tomorrow morning. Otherwise I would’ve missed that AMC is showing Rectify (I don’t get Sundance). Thanks y’all.

Comment by Andrew – July 12, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like cheese.

Comment by Eddie G – July 12, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see many excited Newsroom fans here. I can’t wait either!

Comment by c – July 13, 2013 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter & The Newsroom.

Comment by John – July 13, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Newsroom! Yay! Best show on TV!

Comment by anne – July 13, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter, and the newsroom. Where is Ray Donovan

Comment by hater4life – July 13, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being Human is back! Great news, except for the fact that it’s the last season.

Comment by Maggie – July 13, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching Being Human BBC after they killed Aiden. Complete fail killing your hottest and best character by far.

Comment by Danielle H. – July 13, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The actor playing Aiden wanted to leave the show.
      But you’re right he was hot and the show just hasn’t been the same since his departure.

Comment by Whatever – July 13, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you stopped watching after they killed Mitchell, then you’ve missed the amazing Hal. I never thought I would like another character better than Mitchell, but it happened with Hal.

Aiden Turner no longer wanted to play Mitchell. He left to be in the Hobbit movies. That’s not the show’s fault.

Comment by Lois – July 13, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering why 666 Park Ave said Part 1 in TV guide when finale, unless titled before show was cancelled.

Comment by Jack – July 13, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello?! The Killing! Duh..

Comment by lkjgg – July 13, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have already seen 666 Park Avenue. Tied up some things but would have been better if the show had time to build.

Comment by Name That Tune – July 13, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sat: Death in Paradise (WLIW), Sinbad (SyFy),

Sun: The Killing, Endeavor, Crossing Lines, Newsroom, Ray Donovan, Dexter, Copper

Comment by AH – July 13, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Newsroom

Comment by nick1372 – July 13, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Killing!

Comment by Roni – July 13, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SATURDAY

The Haunted Haathaways
    Zero Hour

SUNDAY

True Blood
    Falling Skies
    Crossing Lines
    Copper
    Rectify
    Endeavor on PBS (Nothing like a good mystery!)

Comment by Maryann – July 13, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saturday: Being Human on BBC America

Sunday: Endeavor (Masterpiece Mystery) on PBS
    Copper on BBC America

Comment by Lois – July 13, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saturday
    Sinbad
    Zero Hour

Sunday:
    Falling Skies
    Crossing Lines (haters gonna hate, but I am loving every minute of this show. Fichtner and Sutherland are amazing.)

Comment by kirads09 – July 14, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEXTER AND DEXTER!

Comment by ASHLEY – July 14, 2013 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lots of picks on Sunday night. No mention of Ray Donovan though?

Dexter
    Ray Donovan
    Drop Dead Divas
    Devious Maids

My DVR will get a workout tonight!

Comment by Tammi Townsley – July 14, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 Park Avenue, Crossing Lines

Comment by Sable – July 14, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got all excited when I saw Being Human. I need to train my brain to look for “Being Human(US)” so I stop getting disappointed like that.

Oh well, I still have Dexter, True Blood, and Falling Skies, so I’m still pretty happy.

Comment by A fan – July 14, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t anyone recapping Dexter anymore… Megan?

Comment by Singing_gal – July 14, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood, Dexter, Copper, Newsroom

Comment by Tania – July 14, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry what episode are you watching that Aiden died??

Comment by ireland – July 15, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post