Ratings: Dance Gets No Lift from Paula Abdul

Get More: News, Ratings

SYTYCD_Paula_AbdulPaula Abdul‘s turn as a So You Think You Can Dance judge drew 4.4 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating — exactly matching the show’s week-ago numbers.

NBC’s America’s Got Talent once again dominated Tuesday, this time with 9.5 million viewers and a 2.5 rating, ticking up a tenth.

RELATED | So You Think You Can Dance Recap: Tides Are Turning, Bringing Winds of Change

Leading into AGT, the season finale of Betty White’s Off Their Rockers (4 mil/1.0) rose 11 percent and two tenths. Ohhhh, Mr. Grant!

Elsewhere, ABC’s Extreme Weight Loss (3.3 mil/1.1) packed on a tenth.

Comments (14)

• Bye bye Dance! After this season I will not be missing you.

Comment by Midori – July 10, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I for one adore this show and would miss it greatly were it cancelled. It is MY favourite show by far. I have watched it since season 1 and have not missed an episode. You might not miss it Midori but many of us would be crushed if it were cancelled. These dancers are so talented and I love this platform for the art of dance. For those of us that don’t live close to big cities shows like this provide us with an opportunity to witness art. As for Paula impacting ratings it was not tweeted she would be on the show until two days before. I hardly think that was enough and broad enough advertizing to make any impact. It was fun to see her again and hear her brand of goofiness on the show. She does know dance though.

Comment by Isabel – July 13, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they advertise Paula Abdul at all? I know Nigel announced it on Twitter the day before, but I don’t think it’s fair to say she is responsible for the ratings either way…

Comment by d – July 10, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I didn’t see any tv promos mentioning that she would be on the show.

Comment by MC – July 10, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!! I beleive she is a great choice next to Debbie Allen. OMG! I never knew she was on.

I stopped watching the show but I feel greatly she would bring good advice and some genuineness!! I hope this show stays….it’s a great a e he for dancers and it is awefullly good!!

More reality shows of this nature with true people’s with true talent need recognition!! Enough with drama and a day in the life of celebs!

Comment by White collar suits – July 16, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whether she was on or not, I love the show! The talent is unbelievable!!

Comment by Laura – July 10, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and I hope it continues forever but this season there just anyone one dancer that really grabs me like there has been in the past seasons. Last night when I was watching I didn’t even remember the names of 1/2 the dancers. I’m just still waiting for that one dancer who wows me. Its been kind of ho hum on the dances too. But I hope this show gets another season! It’s my favorite thing about summer!

Comment by Shannon – July 10, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was just as nonsensical last night as she was on Idol. Total waste!

Comment by Aeol – July 10, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched SYTYCD last night in spite of Paula Abdul, not because of…

Comment by Sierra – July 10, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anything, I tuned more of the show out than normal because of her and the other guest judge, Erin Andrews. I wish they’d pick one permanent third judge or at the very least stick to the ones that actually know wtf they’re talking about instead of big celebrity fans shouting praises to every contestant.

Comment by Danielle – July 10, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Midori-why do you troll SYTYCD threads and spew hate and how horrible the show 5 or 6 times? Were you cut at green mile or something? Hate=Strong Emotion. Don’t Care=Don’t mention it, and change the channel. #GrowTFup

This season is fantastic so far. LOVE Fik-Shun. No favorite yet because they are all amazing. Was hoping the crazy format last week would bring better ratings last night-hopefully soon. They have an awesome season planned!

Comment by Sheilalala – July 10, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed in Paula. She’s so much more knowledgeable about dance than she is music, and yet she was as nonsensical as she was on Idol. And WTF was Erin Andrews doing there? I’m tired of the guest judges who don’t know about dance (Wayne Brady, JTF, Hannah Simone). Bring back Adam Shankman, Debbie Allen and Mia Michaels!

Comment by Aprilcot – July 11, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I may agree about Hannah Simone and others who have been on that are only there to promote their shows, there is some validity to having people who have worked as dancers and been on Broadway (among other large venue stages) as dancers being judges.
      Wayne Brady has been in productions of Chicago and Rent as well as multiple shows in Las Vegas (he sings and dances)
      JTF has worked on and off Broadway and while he admittedly isn’t the greatest dancer, he does have professional Broadway experience.
      Christina Applegate (which you didn’t mention but who is often mentioned in other places) helped to found the Pussy Cat Dolls along with Carmen Electra. She has also done Broadway and has been dancing her whole life.
      In previous season there was Megan Mullally is a classically trained Ballet dancer.
      So just because they don’t make their living as dancers doesn’t mean they don’t know anything about dance. Sometimes they give better critiques than the actual judges. I certainly prefer Wayne Brady and Christina Applegate’s reviews over what I typically hear from Adam Shankman!

Comment by S – July 12, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Positively NO ONE watches this imported junk show and NEVER HAS, so why is it being made or broadcast? It makes no logical or business sense?

Comment by The Television Bank – July 30, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post