Fall TV Preview

Glee Recruits American Idol's Adam Lambert

adam lambert idol judgeThis fall, Adam Lambert will take his career in New Directions.

The American Idol runner-up is joining the cast of Fox’s Glee, series creator Ryan Murphy announced Wednesday via Twitter.

No details yet on who Lambert will play or where (Lima, New York, someplace else?) his scenes will take place.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on GleeBones, Castle and More!

This news comes on almost exactly the four-year anniversary of the very first Lambert/Glee rumor, which swirled shortly after he placed second during American Idol‘s eighth season.

In addition to Idol and numerous television appearances, Lambert’s resume includes several theatrical gigs (including the musicals Wicked and The Ten Commandments: The Musical) and a performance in Pretty Little Liars‘ 2012 Halloween episode.

Comments (120)

• Excited!! But need more info

Comment by Kim – July 10, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As angry as Glee has made me in its recent season, I am very excited about this. It is, perhaps, the only thing that will bring me back to watch next season. Can’t wait to hear the music that comes out of it.

Comment by Azrielen – July 10, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Glee but NOOOOOOO!!!

Comment by Boiler – July 10, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you came here to criticize go away. Don’t watch the show then.

Comment by Sherry (@shadylady1031) – July 10, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um you can love a show and not like a casting decision. I love Glee but Adam Lambert is awful. He can’t act.

Comment by dude – July 10, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He has performed in musical theater since he was 10. He was also in the cast of wicked. He was the only actor in the failed play “The 10 Commandments” to receive positive reviews. S0 what in the heck are you talking about?

Comment by Sasha – July 10, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Tru dat. Shoot me now.

Comment by karenb – July 11, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What have you actually seen of his acting to judge that? He did great on VH1 Divas. Apparently he did a lot of stage acting prior to Idol, some that were not even singing parts. Don’t watch Glee but have been reading lots of comments that the acting on Glee is not all that great anyway. Why just the harshness to Lambert’s acting, which you probably haven’t seen enough to even judge?

Comment by Mandy – July 11, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please don’t bully posters with opinions. The world doesn’t have to love the show or the person they’ve casted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Comment by Virginia B. – July 10, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fans are sick of the negativity that overruns every Glee thread. We’ve had to put up with it for 4 years now. Enough is enough.

Comment by Ruby – July 10, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I can’t wait until you’re on Glee, Ruby.

Comment by Elvis – July 10, 2013 10:33 PM PDT
          • That’s a childish way of looking at things. If you don’t like the negativity then say somthing positive. Don’t try to silence other people’s opinions.

Comment by Logic – July 11, 2013 12:33 AM PDT
          • You won’t have 100% positive feedback with any show. I am not a fan of Adam Lambert. Never have been. Never will be. This isn’t the sole reason why I won’t be watching, however. I admit that he can sing, but he isn’t my taste.

Comment by Esaul – July 11, 2013 06:22 AM PDT
          • Very strange when someone says they love a show but refuse to watch because of one actor they hate who probably plays a small part. Hell, I hate Nigel Lithgoe with a passion but I still watch So You Think You Can Dance because I am interested in the dancing. Also hate Brooke Burke but will not miss Dancing With The Stars because of it. It seems to say a lot more about the person, that their hatred of someone they don’t know (who probably has relatively little screen time) is greater than their love of a show.

Comment by Mandy – July 11, 2013 12:29 PM PDT
    • Agreed. He will probably suck more time into the awful NY scenes. :(
      WE WANT MORE MCKINLEY!

Comment by Eddie – July 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, so you’re one of those five people who want more McKinley.

Comment by anne – July 10, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • New York side is WAY more boring than the Lima side. There’s nothing exciting about it! Total waste of screen time. I know rachel & kurt are fan favorites and fans want them to stay but the NY parts are like a much MUCH gayer and less effective version of SMASH.

Comment by Kim – July 10, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I just thought to myself when i saw this..
            “I didn’t think Glee could get any Gayer.”
            and that’s not being homophobic..

Comment by Nick C – July 10, 2013 09:50 PM PDT
          • Why do people always state opinions as facts? Is it really that hard to type “I feel..” or “I think…”?

Comment by Anne – July 11, 2013 12:31 AM PDT
        • Agree with Eddie. Glee is about a high school music club…just in case you hadn’t noticed that yet.

Comment by libby – July 11, 2013 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Nothing outside of the competition episodes specifically involves the Glee Club anymore though. The assignment of the week format was stale by the end of season two and once they stopped giving serious focus to the adults it became clear that the show was about the characters. If it was only about the high school music club the show wouldn’t even have the NY side so that’s a pretty weak argument.

Comment by Lydia – July 11, 2013 02:26 PM PDT
      • Grow up.

Comment by Sherry (@shadylady1031) – July 10, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG WHAT?!?!?!

Comment by Lisa – July 10, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG~ I am so excited! Adam is my favorite AI Grad.

Comment by Beth – July 10, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully he gets shown more than the usual Glee stunt casted celebrity. Oftentimes they end up shoehorned in for like 5 minutes unless their name happens to be Gwyneth Paltrow.

Comment by Molly – July 10, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seeing as how it says joining the cast, i doubt he’s just gonna be a stunt cast 5 minute appearance…

Comment by erik – July 10, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as I was about to give up on the show….EUREKA! Appointment Viewing! \o/\o/\o/

Comment by Nina – July 10, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg excite!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Orihara Kaoru (@oriharakaoru) – July 10, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES …. ADAM LAMBERT ON GLEE IS THE BEST NEWS.. NOW I LOVE GLEE EVEN MORE THAN BEFORE

Comment by melody – July 10, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give This Newbie Adam Lambert a chance on Glee!! :) Please stop being so judgemental and jealous of new talent!! Grow up !! Be Cool And Supportive!!

Comment by Cristina – July 11, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to hear this. Waiting for more info. Yay!!!!

Comment by adamluv1000 – July 10, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES YES YES! Christmas in July :-) Thank you, Ryan Murphy! Excellent casting choice!

Comment by Lil – July 10, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have been a Gleek since the series started and a HUGE fan of Adam Lambert – for me this is a miracle match. I nearly cried tears of joy when I saw Ryan Murphy’s tweet. Can’t wait to hear more details. GLEEBERTS shall we be.

Comment by SoozinCA – July 10, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else feel that Ryan Murphy is out to get every gay man in Hollywood to be on his show?

Comment by Riana – July 10, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Why?

Comment by trimaran12 – July 10, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Take a hike

Comment by Sherry (@shadylady1031) – July 10, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mainly bc he bangs em all (or they bang him which is most likely) in exchange of screen time. Happens all the time in Hollywood!

Comment by Eddie – July 10, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What a scummy comment. Get a hold of yourself.

Comment by Ruby – July 10, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly Eddie!

Comment by Krista – July 11, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • given that—as we squee and whine about adam lambert— they’re working together on the normal heart film adaptation in nyc (which ryan murphy better not ruin with his trademark preachy self-righteousness), i predict a jim parsons recruitment in the near future.

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – July 10, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i don’t want to, but i do. and that’s every *attractive* gay man to boot. have you seen the normal heart cast he’s surrounded himself with all summer? holy salivation, batman. you could fry eggs on that set!

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – July 10, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is exciting news. Can’t wait for more details.

Comment by trimaran12 – July 10, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited and happy that Adam will be joining Glee cast this fall. I’ll be tuning in every episode he’s on.

Comment by Sherry (@shadylady1031) – July 10, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smart move, Murphy. Getting me to watch a show I otherwise would not watch.

Comment by gnatcar – July 10, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably will be in New York with Rachel, Santana and Kurt. Curious what kind of role. Is part of the Broadway storyline with Rachel or something to do with Kurt.

Comment by Stacey – July 10, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadly his last CD didn’t do well in America so this is what can happen lol

Comment by DavidSask – July 10, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really?? pretty sure it debuted at number one.. first time an openly gay artists has debuted an album at number one on the billboard chart..

Comment by erik – July 11, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was very ho hum about Glee’s return but this news has gotten me excited again.

Comment by Jaz Schoone – July 10, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping it’s NY storyline for him. An added gay man for Kurt to feel bad for not being interested in? Santana’s boss at her dancer gig? A rebel at NYADA or a fellow cast member of Funny Girl for Rachel to befriend?

The possibilities are endless!

Comment by Taylor – July 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this. Adam is an amazing singer.

Comment by trimaran12 – July 10, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait didn’t watch last season but will tune in for Adam. Would still love to see him as judge on AI

Comment by Jerr – July 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a wayyyy better fit for him than judging a singing competition. My humble opinion of course.

Comment by Gabi – July 11, 2013 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so jealous you didn’t watch last season. I wish I had made such wise life choices.

Comment by Julie – July 13, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have come back to the American Idol fold for Adam (haven’t watched it in three years), but nothing and no one could ever make me start watching Glee again.

Comment by BGM – July 10, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol, didn’t he diss Glee back when it was watchable? I guess any chance at a new demographic looks good when your fans are bitter middle-aged straight women.

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Umm, no, he never dissed it. He had actually tried out for it before being on Idol. You’re also a bit off in who his actual fan base is. Nice try though.

Comment by LiamB – July 10, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess the multiple concerts of his that my sister dragged me to didn’t give me an accurate portrait of the middle-aged straight lady audience that was at every single show. Wearing bad makeup and clothes that looked like they came from a drag show thrift shop.

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gosh, the 30 shows I went to I don’t remember anything from a drag show thrift shop. The Glam Nation tour he had costumes, but they were well done, designed by Skingraft. I still don’t remember anything from a drag show thrift shop except for maybe the first show at Fantasy Springs.

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure where you got your information from. He has never dissed Glee. And as for his demographic, have you actually been to one of his shows? There are all ages there. Internationally, his audience is very young.

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been to several of his shows. I’ve also been treated like a unicorn for being a gay man at his shows. I also saw him at Pittsburgh Pride, surrounded by – you guessed it – middle-aged straight women.

And he definitely said some less than positive stuff about Glee right after the Idol tour ended, which I went to as well BTW, because it was one of the three questions he got asked all the time – Are you joining Queen? Are you going to be on Glee? What’s it like to be an out gay artist in the US music industry? and I remember sympathizing with the sentiment even though I liked Glee at the time because I’d have gotten sick of that crap too if I was him.

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But are there many children at pride events? I have seen him 30 times all over the country, a few outside the country, and I definitely see all ages and sexes, especially depending on the venue and time of the show. Was just at the San Diego show and was surprised to see so many men. I sat next to a teenager who was brought there by both her parents. What exactly did he say about Glee? Do you have a link? I thought I had seen every Adam interview and I don’t remember any dissing.

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope he is in New York. The less the show focus on Lima and the new cast the better the show will be.

Comment by Dj – July 10, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really hope he is in Lima. The less the show focus on New York and the old cast the better the show will be.

Comment by Isabella – July 11, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s so cute when people fail at being clever.

Comment by Robert – July 13, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes another big guest star for them to give tons of screen time to….thats exactly what this show needs. If we must have this I hope he’ll at least be in NY.

Comment by A – July 10, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess this means he really IS going to sing covers. Seems about right. Shrilly Halpern got it right, I guess.

Comment by P4Principle – July 10, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh no.

Comment by forwarddad – July 10, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rather he judge on American Idol.

Comment by Midori – July 10, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t someone post here last night that out of the four new characters in Season 5–three female, one male–the guy will probably be the only one who gets any meaningful screen time? Bingo!

Comment by Claire – July 10, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guy that has no career going to a sinking ship….Ya that will help his career!

Comment by ggny – July 10, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No career? He was just on a world tour with 16K audience in South Africa, 13K in Finland, 7K in Shanghai, 5K in Hong Kong, and thousands in other venues in Asia, Russia, etc. I just saw him in San Diego with a crowd of 5K. This is someone who had a critically acclaimed album (4/5 stars from Rolling Stone) but who radio refused to play. What size audiences are Kris Allen playing to?

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And not to mention that he is doing something with Queen again. Look out for Forbes top 10 earning idols list this year. I bet he’ll be near the top like 2 years ago when he was #2 and earned $6 million.

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sweetie, nobody but you mentioned Kris Allen. Your bitterness is showing. Isn’t it enough for you that Kris Allen ACTUALLY has no career (which anyone could have predicted from the get-go)?

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well Kris did WIN!!! He was expected to sell more as the winner, right? He got all the votes so he must have been more popular. You seem to be the one that is so bitter because you hate Adam so much. Surprised at how much energy you are expending on someone you hate. Do you have anything better to do with your life? I guess not because you are such a WIMP to allow your sister to drag you to see someone you hate. LOL!!!!! Also why did you watch any of his interviews if you hate him? What a pathetic life you lead. Get a life.

Comment by Mandy – July 11, 2013 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 5k is so admirable when you have other better known artists playing in sold out football stadiums (50K +). He’s a washed up American Idol just like all but two AI alum (Clarkson & Underwood). Glee could do better and they have

Comment by JP – July 10, 2013 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well there you go. American Idols have trouble being taken seriously, get little airplay unless you are Carrie or Kelly, so please compare him to other idols, not Rihanna. LOL. Scotty, the WINNER, who is considered successful gets crowds of about 5K in US. I doubt him or Underwood can get 16K in South Africa, 13K in Finland and the thousands he got in Asia. Adam also was the first American Idol to have a concert in China. He won an award for favorite international artist in China, performed on The Voice and Chinese Idol. Even Daughtry doesn’t pull in large crowds any more. And have any of them been asked by legends to front them? He sang in front of 250K in Kiev.

Comment by Mandy – July 11, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m truly surprised this didn’t happen sooner. You’d think Adam Lambert and Ryan Murphy would be a match made in heaven. And before any of you say anything, I don’t say bc they’re both gay

Comment by lisa – July 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it. Love Adam, still kinda love GLEE. Anxious to see where it goes.

Comment by Bobby – July 10, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please God, let him sing a duet with Lea. I will be good, I’ll have babies, I’ll never swear again…

Comment by Ruby – July 10, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m intrigued by this casting but then again I haven’t seen him act before so I don’t know. If any big guest star is to recur on next season, I’d want it to be Matt Bomer again! He was so hilarious and had a great voice as well

Comment by A – July 10, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He can act. He was on Wicked.

Comment by jessa – July 10, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve seen a recording of him in Wicked. His acting is average at best. Of course, since “average” on Glee is pretty low, I’m sure he’ll be just fine. If they put him opposite Cory or Darren, he’ll look like an award-winner in comparison.

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So you hate the guy, yet you are somehow “forced” to go to his concerts many times (so wimpy you can’t say no), you watch his interviews, and you seek out his videos when he was on Wicked. And now you spend all this time bashing him on an article. Do you have any idea how foolish you look? It’s like you’re obsessed with him as much as his fans. When I don’t care for someone, like Clay Aiken, I don’t go to his shows, watch his videos, or seek out articles on him just to bash him. You really seem psychotic.

Comment by Mandy – July 11, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, I’m so excited. I can’t wait for this. He’ll be fabulous. Almost everyone in my family watches Glee. They get to see Adam and love him even more. Yay!!!

Comment by Eli – July 10, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But I just quit Glee! It won’t let me go without a fight!

Comment by Zoey – July 10, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that I’ve thought about this, it’s actually really perfect! These fandoms deserve each other and will go together quite well. The gay-fetishizing teenage fangirls who luv Klaine 4eva will absolutely die when they see the gay-on-straight fanservice in Adam’s concert DVD, and the middle-aged straight ladies can wet their panties to the inevitable influx of fanfiction that the teenage girls will write. Plus, the CrissColfer and Adommy fandoms can band together in defense of their horrible taste. It’ll be awesome as far as hilarity on Tumblr goes. I can’t wait!

Comment by Mark – July 10, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my my, you certainly have a lot of feelings about this Mark. Are you sure you aren’t just a little bit bitter that those 15 minutes never seem to end?

Comment by jools – July 10, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You seem really obsessed with this. Did they do something to you personally? Why do you have to be so nasty and stereotype all fans???

Comment by jamed – July 11, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mark you seem to know alot about Adam and his fandom. You seemed to be a sort of “warped” fan. Why would you waste your time saying negative things on here about Adam? Are you a fan of anyone else’s music? Go to their fansite and put some positive energy there. Maybe you like Gaga, Demi or Adam Levine? Go there and support them, unless in some strange way you are attracted to Adam and his music. Idk, man you won’t find me on other fan site’s or articles about anyone else only Adam because I’m an Adam fan. So, why dont’ you try that. Believe it or not, it will make you feel good to comment positively on one of your true idols, instead of negatively on someone you don’t necessarily like.

Comment by Judy Lushman (@judadam) – July 11, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Assuming he’s not the guy mentioned on yesterday’s article (the 4 new characters): see, told you that having 3 females was suspect and that they’d start casting more males.

Comment by Olivia – July 11, 2013 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a perfect gig for Adam. I am thrilled!!! The man can sing and the camera loves him! Can not wait to see him act!

Comment by Gabi – July 11, 2013 12:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I need more information on his character before I can get excited about this. I want to be happy, but then I remember the lack of quality writing on Glee and end up nervous instead.

Comment by Julie – July 11, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a fun gig for Adam. I like Glee, so I’m looking forward to seeing Adam on the show, as well as all of the other things Ryan Murphy has dreamed up for this season.

Comment by Lucy – July 11, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so we have the new guy from Vocal Adrenaline then…

Comment by jm – July 11, 2013 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurt or Blaine’s new boyfriend?

Comment by Fernanda – July 11, 2013 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well dang, now I’ll have to watch again. I love the Glambert!!

Comment by liz – July 11, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But…..what about Jonathan Groff?

Comment by RichieS – July 11, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s the lead on an upcoming HBO show, I don’t think he has time to return to this show…

Comment by Marco – July 11, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing against Lambert, although he’s not my cup of tea, but I wish Glee would stop adding all these new characters and put more time and energy into figuring out what to do with the characters they already have. The show needs quality, not quantity.

Comment by TobyG. – July 11, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, the positive responses really surprise me. I was expecting far more grousing.

Comment by Sheila – July 11, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I guess if I had my choice between him appearing on an over-cast show and another one where Mr. Lambert would be “enlightening” us with his musical “expertise” on a weekly basis, I would take the over-casted show. Hopefully he’ll get lost in the shuffle and not be over-used like Alex.

Comment by Krista – July 11, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he’s on the NYC side, I hope he’s a cast mate of Rachel’s in “Funny Girl”. She (assuming he’s gay) could try to set him up with Kurt, only to have him turn out to be straight or bisexual and interested in her. Or Rachel and Kurt going after the same guy could be fun. Unlike with Finn in Season One, they could both have a chance.

Comment by Claire – July 11, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post