Julie Chen Addresses Big Brother Players' Racist Comments: 'I Took It Personally'

Get More: Controversy, Reality TV

julie-chenAdd Julie Chen‘s name to the list of those offended by this summer’s Big Brother contestants.

After the CBS reality series on Sunday aired a montage of racist and homophobic remarks made by several houseguests, the Big Brother host  vented her frustrations during her day gig on The Talk Monday morning.

“When I first found out that Aaryn, who is a 22-year-old girl, made anti-gay, anti-black and anti-Asian comments, I have to be honest, the Asian ones hit me the most. It stung,” Chen said during the talk show’s live taping. “I took it personally. I’m a human being.”

RELATEDCBS Blasts Big Brother Cast’s ‘Offensive’ Racial, Gay Slurs — Are They Right to Edit Them Out?

Aaryn — a model who TMZ reports has since been dropped by her agency because of the unsavory comments – was shown gossiping most about Asian contestant Helen. “It’s like, ‘Shut up, go make some rice,’” she said.

Pageant coordinator GinaMarie also has been fired from her job for making similar comments.

“The year is 2013,” Chen said. “I felt ignorant, there are still people in the country who feel and act that way? Yes, there [are]. It made me sad.”

Do you agree with Chen about the houseguests’ remarks? Hit the comments.

Comments (83)

• This cast is so vile. There’s a 12 minute supercut of everything offensive this cast has said so far.

Comment by trev – July 8, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I disliked last years cast… they have nothing on this years cast. I dislike most of the cast this year… it’s sad!

Comment by Elyse – July 8, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really makes one question our society!

Comment by Denae – July 24, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Week 2 Tuesday July 9th12:33:20 Mcray mocked Julie in a Asian voice

Comment by sam – July 9, 2013 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too am appalled at this year’s cast. All of the different biases disgust me! Watching After Dark has had a negative impact on me as well. Am glad that Aaryn & G. M. have lost their jobs. Hopefully they will learn from this situation, though I don’t know if anyone could get through to Aaryn. As for Elissa? Was definitely in her corner because she seemed to be an underdog only because she is Rachel’s sister. However, as time goes by and after tonight’s episode, the way she bullied Amanda for wearing a “1 piece” and other snarky comments she made about Amanda? Elissa is worse than Rachel because she was behaving coy yet is now showing her true colors. Snake in the grass! She has lost my respect. Never like Rachel & her gawd awful cackle, but at least she had no shame in her game.

Comment by Denae – July 24, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping Aaryn, GinaMarie and that entire group goes home soon!

Comment by Elyse – July 8, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it makes me sad too, julie. :-\

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 8, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s it exactly- its so very sad. Makes me ashamed to be human.

Comment by Trevor – July 16, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, instead of being ashamed to be human, you can rejoice that you are not like these outdated ignorant blights! They are the bad examples we can show our children and say “That is a bad person, she is backward and ignorant and you DO NOT want to have the kind of wicked and cruel ideas that she expresses!”

Comment by Mary S – July 17, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad that CBS, Big Brother, and The Talk are addressing these comments, but what about the derogatory comments made about women by Spencer and Jeremy? Misogynistic Spencer is just as bad as Aaryn or GinaMarie, in my opinion.
    For the women of The Talk to ignore this is strange.

Comment by Morgen – July 8, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, and they’ve also made racist comments, too. I hope that BB plans to show the rest of them but I’m afraid that producer Allison Grodner is going to let the men slide; she’s done that in the past.

Comment by Dirge – July 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that at first, CBS didn’t want to address the issue at all. However, they felt compelled to because of the public outrage. In their rush to apply a band-aid to placate everybody, they forgot the misogynists of the house. They should just cancel this show after this season: it just brings people’s real ugliness out.

Comment by Anna Doe – July 8, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a contestant or two away from dropping this season. I’m debating right now if I’m going to DVR pass this season. But truthfully, I probably am sticking around to when these people leave the house and get their initial reactions when they are confronted by Julie and the press for their statements. Cannot wait for Aaryn to leave the house. CBS better do a better job vetting their people next season.

Comment by Larry – July 8, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But you can see that stuff without watching the show. I actually stopped watching after episode 2, before I heard about the racist stuff. I just found them all boring & too much of a manufactured cast.

Comment by DJ (@HeyTedBaxter) – July 8, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You found all that after just watching 2 episodes???!!

Actually, I’m beginning to like this cast. I particularly like Helen, Elissa, Andy, Candice and Judd. At this point, I hope either Helen or Judd wins.

IMO Aaryn, Kaithlin and GinaMarie are no different than Maggie, Yvette and April of Season 6. And I thought Season 6 was one of the better seasons. it produced Janelle, Kaysar, Howie and James Rhine.

Comment by Tyler – July 15, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always enjoyed B.B. over the years, it was mainly fun , light hearted fun and ridiculous antics. What I watched last night made me angry and sick to my stomach that such cruelty continued to spew out of the mouth of this obviously under educated over indulged brat. She was a beautiful looking girl till she opens her mouth. Not sure if I’ll keep watching the show after this.

Comment by pashektu – July 8, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand why you’d say that. I’m not sure, myself, what I’ll do. I’m glad that BB showed the comments on TV– viewers who don’t get the live feeds might have voted for some of these people to be MVP, a great advantage, without having all of the facts.

On the other hand, BB did a terrible job of casting this season. Four of the women (Aaryn, Kaitlin, GinaMarie and Jessie) are there ONLY to hook up with guys, not to play the game (Kaitlin and Candice were recruited and didn’t even apply for the show). The show cast men who are ready to play and pathetic, immature women who don’t care about the game (I don’t include Helen and Candice in that group). (Amanda, I’m not sure about).

So do I want to keep watching and “reward” CBS for making its usual cast-women-who’ll-lie-around-in-bikins strategy even worse this year?

Comment by Dirge – July 8, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I love Julie Chen, and am a huge fan here in Canada. But I don’t think as a daughter of Portuguese immigrants, who is a Human Rights Activist, I can continue to support, or better yet stomach, watching this anymore. In the Real World there could be charges filed. CBS I hope will deal with this matter. I feel awful for all involved.

Comment by Rosie Sardinha – July 8, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure what ‘real world’ you are thinking of. I’ve never seen charges filed for comments like these. Are comedians exempt too? Yet how many laugh at their racist and misogynic jokes?

Comment by Cari – September 15, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My solution is, I NEVER watch the stupid show! I think that I have seen about 10 minutes of one episode in all the years it has been on the air. And then I saw this headline…it does not surprise me in the slightest that the controversy exists, because that is the whole purpose of the show. Apparently networks have learned that the best way to keep a certain segment of the population as viewers is to provide a show with infighting, backbiting, hostilities, betrayals, and someone to hate. It’s childish and teaches young people the WRONG things.
          BUT, it gets ratings from morons. Intelligent people want a better substance and good entertainment from the shows they watch .
          Don’t jump down my throat because I think that morons watch these shows. It’s only my opinion, to which I am entitled.. BUT, if you watch people behaving badly and think it is good entertainment, there is something missing from your social values….and it explains a lot about why our society is in the shape it’s in.
          Comedians mock bad behavior as a negative example and almost all of them come around to a lesson in values as the punchline. These “reality” shows have nothing positive to teach anyone. EVER.
          I do not waste my time with them. I don’t have to, because there are so many channels and excellent shows from which to choose. I urge you, if you don’t like what you see, don’t complain about it, just watch something that brings you some happy laughter. Pretty soon, with no viewers, these things will be cancelled.

Comment by Mary S – September 15, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I don’t know if I will watch again until the terrible people are one and maybe not then. Even if previous members we pests they were not crude and evil. I love BB but can’t stomach this.

Comment by Deb – July 8, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She may be a disgusting human being but her hateful comments have started a dialogue and she’s going to be punished when she leaves the house…she may not have ever had to face consequences for her hate if it wasn’t aired on national TV.

Comment by Michael – July 9, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is the most unlikeable cast cast in the history of BB. I’m not even sure why in still watching. Aaryn is vile and hateful, GinaMarie is rude and my skin crawls every time they show Jeremy in the diary room.

Comment by Lana – July 8, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s the purpose of a diary room? Sorry, I don’t watch Big Brother. I hate most reality shows of every kind. We just finished the first ever season of our version of BB and it was one of the best and the most amazing shows ever. It was a revelation actually. The guy who won was incredibly noble, dignified and a respectful person. It was a mild disappointment since there was someone who was better and more talented and more hilarious in every way. It had the best ratings of all primetime shows almost every day. Maybe it’ll decline in quality just like Big Brother as the people inside the house change.

Comment by GK – July 9, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • flush this whole season. pull the plug. they’re bland, vanilla, vile and ageist to begin with. whoever screened and cast this season ought to be fired.

Comment by Gig Mark – July 8, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just a question… how can they be “bland, vanilla” and “vile” at the same time?

Comment by flutiefan – July 8, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why couldn’t they be? They are vile but they are also trotting out the same old stereotypes people have heard for years and years. So yes, bland, vanilla, and vile.

Comment by DJ (@HeyTedBaxter) – July 8, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • if one is “bland and vanilla”, one has few defining characteristics, one blends into the scenery, one is and has nothing much to speak of. “vile” is most certainly a sharp trait, wherein one certainly stands out, and has qualities that certainly incite reactions in others.
          IMHO.

Comment by flutiefan – July 8, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t those contestants know that Julie Chen is married to the most powerful man in CBS? Chenbot is about to lay the smackdown on Aaryn’s booty!

Comment by Steve F. – July 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anyone thinks Chen or anyone at CBS is outraged over this season I have a bridge to sell you.

Comment by TL – July 8, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your comment…to a point. I’m glad it was addressed but I don’t think Julie Chen cares that much. I do not watch The Talk all the time but I remember her making a sexual racial reference to herself as having “ancient Chinese secret” and she laughed her butt off. It has been a long time since this but anyone willing to reference themselves using stereotypical Asian voices for a punchline isn’t that offended. Now I did not hear the BB comments as I do not watch the show, but when I saw this article and heard her response, it didn’t sit well with me.

Comment by leigh – July 8, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • there’s a HUGE difference between using stereotypes to make FUN of yourself and using stereotypes and slurs to DEGRADE others. i put those words in BOLD so you could be sure to catch my comparison.

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 8, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Individuals within fringe, sub-communities have often used racial or sexual slurs or features of a stereotype, those often employed by the greater community as hate speech, in order to lessen the severity of the slur/take back the power. Blacks refer to themselves using the N-word and gays use the “f” word often. Poking fun of oneself using stereotype(broken Asian English) does not preclude a person from being outraged by racial epithets.

And there’s such a thing as CONTEXT. If you think that Julie’s broken English joke and Aaryn’s squinty-eyed comment came from the same place and occurred within the same context, you are absolutely clueless.

Comment by michaelangelo0296 – July 9, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with you-people often poke fun at themselves in order to either a) prevent someone else from doing so or b) take the wind from the sails of a bad joke so that others will not get caught up in it.
          I am very short and was teased/mocked/even bullied as a child. So I learned to make the first joke (thus eliminating the need for someone else to do it), turn it around on those who would want to mock me, and, I will admit, I learned how to be just as mean in self-defense as they were on the attack. They might start the fight but I ALWAYS finished it, either with words or fists.
          My favorite comeback (which I didn’t even have to think about!) was when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, when someone started in on me because I was adopted. I looked that little girl in the eye, and said “At least I know I was wanted! My mommy and daddy CHOSE me – I bet you were an accident!” And at age 8 or 9 I didn’t know what an “accident” was, but I knew it wasn’t an “on purpose” like I had been.
          HOWEVER, back to the topic: bigots are simply bullies who feel inferior and therefore have to try to prove their worth by putting others down. The easiest way to stop them is to call them on it. It may not change their mind or their attitude, but at least I will not be subjected it again.
          A man was trying to convince me to go out with him. During the conversation he used a really objectionable slang term. I told him I had broken my dad of using that word, back in 1973, and still did not like it, so he came out with a string of others, asking if I liked them better. I told him they were all ugly words, revealing an ugliness of thought that I refuse to be around. Needless to say, I never saw him again.
          The only way to end the language is to refuse to listen to it, to call them on it, and to ask them why they feel so inferior that they have to denigrate others. These are the gossips of the world, the hypocrites and backstabbing, backbiting thugs ( no matter what they look like, they are thugs) who really need to be taken to and left on some desert island somewhere, removed from polite society, so the rest of us can get along in peace and harmony.
          And, yes, I still have my faults and bring them up before anyone else has the chance to do it. If I make a mistake, I point it out before they can. I prefer to mock myself first, so others have nothing left to say.
          If they do, I say “Well, at least I don’t have to try to make myself feel better by making someone else feel bad. My grandmother taught me better manners than that!”
          Is that what you meant?

Comment by Mary S – July 9, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Notice how the ratings were up last night, after the controversy got free press on other networks? They struck a small goldmine here.

Comment by B – July 8, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Precisely. CBS and Big Brother obviously decided to flip the switch and vilify Aaryn — notice how she was the only one mainly featured during the segment on the show and now Julie Chen mentions her by name. I mean, it’s not like it took much work to vilify Aaryn, but it’s clear they’re putting a name and face to the controversy to refocus the attention. Whatever.

Comment by Guy – July 8, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see the reaction of Aaryn, GinaMarie, & Spencer when they hear the news about their own employment status outside the house. Unfortunately, CBS will not say anything to them while they are still on the show.

Comment by BBFan – July 8, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let them continue to show their ignorance and stupidity to the whole world. I was appalled last night at the comments coming out of Arryn’s mouth. Wow! We should really see the true colors of the rest of them and as they get evicted one by one they should be grilled by Julie Chen and the rest of the media.

Comment by Stuart – July 8, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree Stuart!

Comment by Rosie Sardinha – July 8, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cannot imagine what their families must think having this out there for the world to see. That is reason enough to keep them on BB and contine to show them in all their ignorance.

Comment by Gina – July 8, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt their families are all that surprised. Children aren’t born racist, homophobic or misogynistic

Comment by misha – July 8, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think these two should be made examples of the type of people we WONT tolerate!!! This type of racism is what needs to be stopped. The media is severely criticizing Paula Deen for her comment 27 years ago and here we are letting these racist young women get away with what they said “ON” TV. These two should be kicked off of the show in my opinion. Don’t pick and choose who to castrate for what they say PAST,PRESENT OR FUTURE. Treat everyone who is stupid enough to let their own stupidity show be punished.

Comment by Debra Adams Weaver – July 8, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Debra, I absolutely agree with you! As a minority I feel that the media and the public choose who they want to “use as examples.” As for Julie Chen’s remarks, just more publicity. Maybe she’s too far removed from the real world…but yes Julie, there is still racism here in 2013.

Comment by Jackie – July 8, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Two separate issues. Deen is getting criticism for far more than a comment made 27 years ago. The houseguests are not big stars bringing in big money. Deen had endorsement deals all over and those companies clearly made a business decision to save their bottom line. It’s really not a good comparison to make.

Comment by tripoli – July 8, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But as long as their fellow housemates keep them in the house,they are tolerating it.We will see if Aaryn gets nominated next week

Comment by Keith – July 8, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gimme a break, Chen. The public is not so idiotic that we can’t spy a stunt to drum up publicity for a moronic summer show. Sheesh. Get a life.

Comment by Jason – July 8, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have stopped watching, but you are right when you say the network cares about the vileness.of these contestants- if the ratings go up, they will do nothing but bask in the buzz. Show ‘em you do mind and change the channel!(

Comment by sccates – July 8, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only are the comments out of the mouths of those ignorant contestants disgusting why didn’t anyone within earshot say something? It’s just as ignorant to ignore racist comments in your presence as to say them. Or at least walk away. But to just stay and say/do nothing is tantmount to supporting as well. The man of color even says he’s offended but it’s not him so he’ll ignore it. All disgusting. And I’m disgusted.

On a different topic what’s wrong with most of them anyway? That toothy guy who thinks he’s all that tells everyone he stole the bottle of wine and no one calls him on it? He’s a class A bully and I don’t know why they’re afraid of him. It’s as if they’re 12 years old in the schoolyard. Why don’t they ignore him, make him an outcast and get rid of him? He’s a full of himself out and out thief.

It’s also disheartening that the female members of the cast haven’t a clue. The men always form secret tight alliances and the women walk around hoping one of the guys will give them a attention while backbiting each other. Their behavior is self sabatoging at best. The only woman who ever figured it out and was able to pull it off was Parvati on SURVIVOR.

Comment by NaturallyCurlie – July 8, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t this a reality show? I think this kind of behavior would be expected. If this is who they are, then that’s the reality – which is why I don’t waste my time with that garbage.

Comment by Rebecca – July 8, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s be honest about something – reality show participants are a breed of people who will do or say anything for their 15 seconds of fame – people who are willing to sell their souls, chosen by producers and netwoks who are thrilled to exploit them for ratings which bring in the advertising dollars. Reality shows are cheaper to produce and the shenanigans of the particpants give them loads of free PR. While I enjoy talent competitions like Idol, SYTYCD & The Voice, I will not watch the real housewives of any city, BB, Honey Brat Brat or teenage girls having babies because if it looks like trash and if it talks like trash, it’s probably trash. Until us TV fans stop watching crap the networks will keep feeding it to us, regardless of the outrage, which in this case becomes a talking point on a talk show, featuring the host of a show about people who are hired to manipulate, lie, cheat and hook up for viewer’s entertainment. We all have a ‘guilty pleasure” but there needs to be some bar we refuse to sink below and if the FCC is willing to fine a network for a nipple or a f bomb perhaps their standard and practices department should consider how offensive racial slurs are to viewers and have some sort of penalty for blatant bigotry – forcing producers to be a little more selective in who they chose to put on TV.

Comment by Carrie – July 8, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ?

Comment by tripoli – July 8, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These people are vile. However, I am glad that this show exists to show those if us who think that it can’t happen in this county, in 2013, that it CAN. It happens DAILY. There are awful people all around us and we must all do what we can to call out people who say and do awful, hateful things. If we continue to let them get away with it (this includes celebrities too!) the cycle will just continue.

Comment by Patty (@phouse1964) – July 8, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s one thing to know that there is racism out there, but it is quite a different experience to witness it head on. I completely understand how Julie was shocked and upset to hear these things…not only are vile things being said, but Julie was pretty much indirectly attacked because all the contestants know she is the host, and they all know she’s Asian.

Comment by Nick – July 8, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t BB do the right thing and evict Aaryn from the show this week instead of having the cast send someone home. It would send a huge message to the others in the house and show the world that CBS does not stand for this type of behaviour.

Comment by Lorna – July 8, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t she can be evicted for being racist. I think she can only be eliminated by being voted off or kicked off for breaking the rules. Don’t they have a contract or something?

Comment by Kim – July 8, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bet the contracts will be amended for next year’s show…I am on the fence if I will even watch after this season. If it continues as is, I won’t be watching the rest of this season.

Comment by Denae – July 24, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched about 10 minutes of one episode during the entire series. I found the inmates to be petty, childish and hateful to one another, plus a lot of other things I do not want to watch. It does not surprise me in the slightest that the inmates are vile this year. I thought they were vile the first time, which is why I changed channels. They turned me off, so I turned them off.
    Unfortunately, there are many folks in this country who get off on that kind of behavior (the popularity of all those hateful housewives and all those other backbiting sabotaging shows proves the depth of the hole into which many viewers have sunk) and CBS would rather show this BS than hire excellent writers and fabulous actors to give us worthwhile storylines.
    And we wonder why this type of racism, misogyny and hatred still exist in the USA: those things are spotlighted and presented as “normal behavior of normal people” by network execs who are too cheap and lazy to find or create quality programming for us.
    It would not surprise me to learn that these inmates were deliberately chosen for the shock factor they bring to the show.
    Thank heaven for USA, TNT, Bravo, A&E, The Food Network and Syfy! Although, when Warehouse 13 is gone, Syfy loses me as a viewer and I will be depending upon the other networks for my entertainment.

Comment by Mary S – July 8, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • taking the time to read the BB articles and posting long replies is probably giving just as much credit to the show as watching it. It is still a show that is popular and I think as long as people reply to posts and comment on articles – the show is still relevant and a money maker. It is when we all ignore it and anything related to it that CBS will have to make a change.

Comment by Julie – July 10, 2013 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, unfortunately there are people that still hold homophobic, racist and bigoted beliefs. I hope when both young women get evicted by their housemates, Julie Chen addresses their behavior during the interview session. Or perhaps, they should wait until the finale? Then ask them how they could say such horrible things?

Comment by Jacqueline – July 8, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you choose to watch this crap…knowing its a tv show pimping their own scandal for ratings…CHOOSE to tune in then you lose ALL rights to whine about your outrage.

Comment by Dan – July 8, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch BB so I’m sure I’m not missing much, but if I was Julie Chen and married to the head of the network that chose not to address such offense until there was significant public outrage, there would be a serious nookie shortage in my house.

Comment by Aeol – July 8, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the producers of bb should send aaryn, ginamarie, spencer, and jeremy home and should not tolerate what these people said.

Comment by elsa – July 8, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was shocked at first over the BB15 comments but then …I felt it was good we saw what these people are really like….I am sure they are not the only ones in this country and we need to remember we have come a long way….but there is so much further to go. Can’t wait to see what happens to these “villains” or what doesn’t happen. Important programming for a change.

Comment by mie wise – July 9, 2013 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never nor do I intend to ever watch the show. The thing that gets me, is if everyone is so offended by remarks made on the show, why do people watch. If nobody watches then the show would be cancelled. I do not approve of any kind of racial remarks, but there is a simple solution America, turn off the TV. I know these reality shows are cheap to produce but if intelligent people stop watching we would not be having these kind of discussions.

Comment by Mary – July 9, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CBS “reality” shows have become less entertaining the more produced they have become. Let me explain. When is the last time survivor had an entire cast of “normal” people? Or people who were not from “casting calls”? Most are hard bodies, younger, and from California.
    Amazing Race, which used to be fun to watch because of all the different people, now has former survivor competitors and BB cast to add to its ranks of cheerleaders, former playmates, singers, NHL players, Globe Trotters and the like. They add in only a few “average Joe’s” to tug at the heart strings.
    So really, is anyone surprised by this latest BB? Can anyone say they didn’t think this would eventually happen? They aren’t going to kick out the people who are driving the latest bit of PR for the show.

Comment by S – July 9, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point. I’m not surprised because BB always casts a mostly white cast. They need to have a more diverse cast. With 13 white people and 3 non-white people there are bound to be racist comments…. It sucks, but it’s the truth. Also, CBS rarely shows people for who they really are on the CBS show. The live feeds show a truer story and CBS always edits people in a more positive light. It’s nothing new. This year viewers just got more vocal about it so CBS was almost forced to show “some” of the racist comments to appease the viewers and media. They never would have shown it otherwise. I bet they don’t continue to show the racist comments still being made…

Comment by Brooke – July 9, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is not now, nor has there ever been, anything “real” in any reality show. They are cheaper to produce, no real actors or writers need to be paid, and they can be edited any way the producers choose to show them. And, if you want it to be a REAL reality show, the proportion of races and ethnicities should be accurate statistically. There is no way that true diversity is shown here.

I watch REAL competitions (Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, any of Gordon Ramsay’s shows, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Top Chef, etc) where people are using their own skills and talents in their own area of expertise. The rest of them can go fly kites.
        There is no reason for this show to be on the air, at all, unless they think that our nation is full of hate-mongering fools. Well…look at the ratings (and our elected officials!)…maybe we are a nation of hate-mongering fools.

Personally I prefer a well-written, well-acted show with some humor and the bad guys always get caught. It’s the lack of those that drove me, a NON-COOK, to the Food Network!

Comment by Mary S – July 9, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess racism is only cool when you do it to your own race. Google Julie Chen racist and watch her squint her eyes and stoke her pretend Fu Manchu beard and speak in broken english without r’s or l’s. YES, I understand that she is making Asian jokes and IS Asian, but dont complain about stereotypes that you help perpetuate. On an unrelated note, Julie Chen only works because she sleeps w the head of Viacom and has a terrible personality. She is also fantastically hot and Id like her to dress like that Vietnamese prostitute from Full Metal Jacket and dance for me. I also wonder if she has a sideways vagina.

Comment by Gonzo – July 9, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why those racist and ignorant people on bb and the bullying by Jeremy are still on there because it’s the same as hitting someone it’s assault but there doing it worse verbal assault I think they should be thew out

Comment by Cory Hillier – July 9, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Allowing them to continue on this show is basically giving them a green light. Big Brother and CBS should be showing a 0 tolerance for this type of racist and homophobic bigotry! When this is allowed you are telling your viewers and society its acceptable. And Julie Chen please DO NOT talk to me about the year being 2013 because it could be 3013 and racism will still exist as long as people show passive acceptance! By the way it wasn’t just the one girl said it. It was also another who joined in and another who laughed. So the mindset is hey this is cool and funny.

Comment by Monique – July 11, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree wholeheartedly!! This is a disgrace that these cast members are being allowed to continue in this game is sickening! When the show aired on July 11 and Aaryn rolled her eyes and said the accusations were ridiculous made my blood boil!!!! Come on Big Brother…make these people pay some consequences!

Comment by Shanie – July 11, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please send this Aaryn chick back to Texas ! Gina Marie to New York ! Living in 2 of the biggest places in the US you would think they would know to keep their bs comments to themselves ! I have always enjoyed BB but the casting has gone to crap. What happened to casting normal people ? Always wanted to be cast but never got called. Guess I wasn’t considered the pretty people. But I also have values and was raised in the south, but was taught all people are equal no matter their color !!!

Comment by Tia Adkison – July 12, 2013 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The b***** with the racist mouth is from TX? Why does that not surprise me?
      Have you seen what the people in that backward state elected as their representatives, both in Austin and D.C??? Did you see Rick Perry’s dismal attempt in the presidential campaign? It’s the trickle-down theory in action….
      I know there are some wonderful folks in TX, but there are also pockets of the KKK, and the voters added a Constitutional AMENDMENT that says a marriage is between one man and one woman – even though the law was already on the books, they had to prove their ignorance and add an AMENDMENT to nail it down. And now they are trying to break the law that ROE V WADE created. Wendy Davis was heroic in her attempt to block the vote, but that holier-than-thou perry called a special session to vote and PASS the bill that tries to interfere with a woman’s choice.
      They are narrow-minded and bigoted – so, as I said, it does not surprise me that the racist is from TX!

Comment by Mary S – July 12, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With everything we have going on in the world get the ones making racist remarks out immediately. I am a white American and would never show such disrespect to another human being, These are supposed to be adults they need to act as such; been a loyal BB fan since season 1 but this could end it all/

Comment by Michelle Lindsay – July 14, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly do not understand how anyone in 2013 is still prejudice- about anyone! I think the hg’s who made prejudice comments will face a possible firestorm of reaction from their community; that’s called Kharma- what goes around does indeed come back around.

Comment by Trevor – July 16, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what I have read here, the one with the potty-mouth is from TX, which means she was probably just voicing her community’s thoughts. Remember, this is KKK country, and they don’t like anyone; they seem to be much like the Nazis. she may get a parade when she gets home!

Comment by Mary S – July 17, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really been disappointed with the cast , this year.
    Please tell GinaMarie PLEASE close your mouth when you eat!!!!
    Alisssa and Andy are really getting on my nevers with there comments to each other, retarded!

Comment by pam louallen – August 5, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pam, the best way to avoid them getting on your nerves is to simply watch something else in that timeslot! I have NEVER watched it (I take that back…watched for about 10 minutes in the first season and could not stand the behavior) and have never felt a void in my life for boycotting a childish and petty program. I guarantee there are other shows that will bring much more enjoyment to your life!

Comment by Mary S – August 5, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This cast is a clear sign the show should be cancelled. I enjoyed some of the earlier seasons where the cast members were not so hateful, but the bad behavior has gotten out of control since it first began. CBS has evicted house guests in the past for physically pushing someone. CBS should also evict someone for speech that attacks an entire group of people; tolerating such behavior truly crosses the line of what should be acceptable. For CBS to just dismiss it as not their viewpoint is not enough. CBS, please take responsibility for the programming you are airing. Some of the cast members have already been fired from their jobs. Shouldn’t they be fired from the show also? Potentially rewarding such poor behavior with a large cash prize is certainly supporting it.

Comment by Russ – August 19, 2013 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post