Switched at Birth Stars Preview 'Beautiful,' It's a Wonderful Life-Esque Episode

Switched at Birth Season 2 SpoilersWhen we last left Switched at Birth, John Kennish was lying on the floor unconscious — and the drama’s just beginning.

That unexpected turn will lend itself to an unusual and incredibly moving episode, airing next Monday (ABC Family, 8/7c), which explores what might have happened if Regina had told everyone about the switch when she first learned about it.

RELATED | Switched at Birth Season 2 — Joey Lauren Adams Cast as Nikki’s Mom

“It’s how our families would have unfolded if this event happened,” says D.W. Moffett, who plays the collapsed patriarch. “It’s like It’s a Wonderful Life. That’s the overall vibe. That was their goal, and they really achieved it. It’s really a good script.”

He’s not the only one raving about the hour. “I’ve got to tell you, I love the ‘What If’ episode,” says Vanessa Marano, aka Bay. “It’s a really exciting episode. For really hardcore fans of the show who’ve been following it and have watched episodes repeatedly, it’s a very satisfying episode.”

As the Kennish and Vasquez families’ alternate reality unfolds, viewers will discover that a lot has changed. Kathryn is now the author of a “trashy romance novel,” and things are not entirely copacetic between her and her hubby, which leads to her getting “into trouble,” teases Lea Thompson. Then there’s Daphne’s personality makeover, which is most definitely not a good thing.

“She’s 180 degrees different,” reveals portrayer Katie Leclerc. “She was so much fun to play because this version of Daphne is a bitch, like hardcore bitch. Just straight up. There’s no other way to say it. She just sucks. By the end of it, I was like, ‘I want to smile in scenes again.’ It was so much fun though.”

RELATED | Switched at Birth Season 2 Spoilers — Justin Bruening Returns

“And the fashion, my clothes were amped up,” she continues. “My feet hated that episode. But that’s OK, because it looked good!”

Switched at Birth Season 2 SpoilersBay, who’s dealing with a crisis similar to the one that plagued her at the start of the series, is also sporting a new look.

“I had the most drastic outfit, wardrobe, hair and makeup change,” says Marano. “And I got called — because I’m in the bob haircut — oh God, every comparison to everything, like Pulp Fiction. I got called, on set: Speed Racer’s girlfriend, Ringo Starr, Gidget.” (Side note: The ‘shippers who’ve been missing their weekly dose of Bay-and-Emmett scenes will be pleased to find out that, unlike Bay’s hairstyle, some things stay the same.)

Meanwhile, Thompson calls the final product “quite beautiful.”

“I cried at the end,” she admits, likening the conceit to a previous project of hers, Back to the Future. “Part of the idea of that [film] is one little thing can change everybody’s destiny. One little thing could change everything and make your life better or more miserable. That’s what this is about.”

1. dinosaur! says:

This looks like a really fun episode.

I just hope it’s not the show’s way of saying that, see, it’s okay that Regina kept the switch a secret. A lot of people think John’s a jerk, but he had a point when he yelled at Regina in the last episode. I think it’d be tedious if the show dwelt on that, but I also don’t think it’d be fair that all would be forgiven just because it turns out the alternate would have sucked (and, of course, that she saved his life).

As a viewer, though, it *will* be nice to see that everything did work out for the best for these people. (I’m assuming…)

• FatherOctavian says:

I’m hoping the episode is what John’s dreaming from his hospital bed. I don’t think whatever we’ll see will excuse Regina’s decision, but I’d like it to help John understand it and be able to forgive and move forward.

• rowan77 says:

It doesn’t sound like it’s an excuse – as if Regina’s lie saved Daphne from being a mean girl and save Kathryn’s marriage from being ruined. It’s about how every choice we make can have long-term effects – both good and bad.

• Winter says:

I agree he has every right to be upset with her and that shouldn’t be forgotten. Honestly they make John out to be a huge jerk but he often has a point. He had a point with Bay and Ty too. She is a kid that is going out with a Man in his 20’s who oh by the way has seen combat and is forever changed by it. At the very least someone should question whether she is ready for that type of relationship and set some boundaries. Of course he’s also her Dad so he’s going to sound emotional and illogical when discussing it with Bay.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I agree. But, at the same time, I see Regina’s side. He told her flat out that her fears were correct — if she had come forward, she would have lost both girls. I feel for her on that front.

• Winter says:

True and John is far from perfect. I somewhat understand Regina’s position but also John was mad and was probably looking to hurt her. Truthfully Regina made a decision based on an assumption she had toward what rich people are like. There is no telling what really would have happened. Interested to see where they take it in the episode.

• Brandy says:

Only because she was a alcoholic.I agree totally with John.Nothing can get back the time they missed with Daphne cause Regina didnt tell about the switch.Also, yes John and Kathryn love Bay, but its not the same as the love between parents and a bio child.Regina shouldnt ve made that decsion for all of them.Im sure if right now,John was get custody of both girls or if the sitaution were reversed and John/Kathryn knew about the switch when the girls were three and Regina and Daphne didnt know til she was 16, then found out John /Kathryn knew all along, imsure Regina would say they had no right keeping Bay from her all thses years and she would be mad too.

• Brandy says:

If Regina had told about the switch when the girls were three,Angelo wouldve stuck around instead of leaving and giving both girls daddy issues, Bay wouldnt ve felt she didnt belong in her family,Dapne,John wouldnt be mad at her for keeping them apart/keeping that secret, Bay wouldnt have confonted her “Why didnt you come for me when you knew?”& feel unloved by her bio parents.If John and Kathryn got both girls if Regina came foward, at least they had money to take care of Dapnes costly medical exspenses and the girls wouldve had two parents that loved them instead of Dapne having a drunk single mom.Reginas a good parent but so are John/Kathryn though John can be overbearing at times, he means well.I dont get where Regina gets her hate for rich people from, maybe working at the saon but not all rich people are awful.Who knows, maybe if Regina came foward then, things would be similar where they all lived together and be similar to now or maybe John /Kathryn wouldve given her Bay but still had a relationship with her or kept Bay but allowed Regina a relationship with her.The only reason she wouldve lost both girls was cause she was a drunk and a judge wouldve probably deemed a unfit mom.Regina acts like did nothing wrong and Johns mad at her for no reason.

2. kay says:

looking forward to this episode! and it will be nice to see bay/emmett scenes again even if they aren’t real. but it does prove they are meant to be.

3. Brandy says:

Also, this episode seems its going to condone Reginas “rich people are awful” thing by turning Daphne into a spoiled brat as well as her descion not to tell in fear of loosing both girls.In reality,Regina could be sued and or charged with kidnapping ect for keeping a child that was her bio child ,especially when there was no abuse.In reality, a judge probably wouldve orderd the girls switched back to thier bio families.But Regina was an alcholic so a judge mightve known that and deemed a unfit parent and given both girls to Kennishes.Its like The Face in the Milk Carton. A 16 year old sees her face on a milk carton a pic of when she was three, she finds out the people who rsised her arent her parents but parents of young woman that kidnapped her.So they get in touch with her bio family and theres a custidy battle but the judge sends the teen to live with her bio parents.

4. Believe this is John’s dream of what happened if the switch was told. I don’t think John and Kathryn would have both girls because Angelo and Regina would have fought to get Bay back and she would be living with them.

5. Robin says:

I am very much looking forward to this episode! Though I do really want to know what is happening with John too. I don’t want him to die!

6. liz says:

As a hardcore fan, I’m just so excited for this episode!! And heck the whole season. This show is just so exceptionally good. Yay!!!

7. Sienna says:

I have been anticipating this episode since the show premiered. It had to happen eventually. I’m excited to see it!

8. Sol says:

I just hope Bay gets a break in the next episodes. I feel for her. She has more maturity than Daphne but Daphne is always the golden girl. Daphne always gets the parent sympathy, the guys etc. Bay has to fight for he place in both the Kennishes and even in the Vazquez household. I wish that Angelo has some sort of distant royal relatives just so Bay can have an inheritance of her own and that her ” grandmother” (kathryn’s mom) will shut up.