So You Think You Can Dance Recap: First, Cuts!

Get More: Reality TV, Recaps

SYTYCD Christina ApplegateTonight’s installment of So You Think You Can Dance started off with a sad trombone and a swift punch to the gut. It was the feel-bad intro of the summer TV season, a Game of Thrones‘ “Red Wedding” to start the festivities, rather than end them.

Okay, okay, I’m exaggerating a little bit, but that doesn’t mean I’m not perturbed by Nigel Lythgoe’s decision to begin each Season 10 telecast by sending two dancers to the guillotine — then asking them to glue their heads back on, return to the stage later in the episode and dance with their partners as if nothing untoward had happened at all. It’s a move that potentially puts the eliminated contestant’s partner at risk — what if the evictee phones it in, or can’t recover from the bad news in time to truly brrrring it? — and also means the judges can’t take into account whether one of the Bottom 6 hoofers is about to deliver something so extraordinary that his or her ouster would result in 9-1-1 calls reporting felony robberies.

Speaking of results, let’s get ‘em out of the way before we rank this week’s dances.

BOTTOM SIX
Makenzie
Mariah
Brittany
Alan
Jade
Carlos

SENT IMMEDIATELY TO SAFETY BY THE JUDGES
Makenzie
Alan (hallelujah!)

DANCED FOR THEIR LIVES
Mariah: A rather uninspired bit of krumping to Waka Flocka Flame
Brittany: A slightly less uninspired piece of solo ballroom work that proved she knows how to ride the beat
Jade: A routine that was like the “exorcism” dude from auditions, but not as moving
Carlos: A pretty solid contemporary piece with very athletic floorwork

ELIMINATED
Brittany
Carlos

Of the Bottom 4, I’d have cut Mariah and Carlos, but come on now. Nico and Alexis didn’t even land in the Bottom 3 after their ultra unsuccessful “hip-hop” from last week? Hinky voting already? Feh!

But I can’t be too, too cantankerous — not when most members of the Season 10 Top 20 delivered thoroughly entertaining performances (a number of which registered very high on the degree-of-difficulty scale).

So let’s hop to it and break down the highs and lows of the show — in kicky gallery form!

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of this week’s SYTYCD? Who was best in show? Who will and should be at risk? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments, and for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (90)

• I think Jenna and Curtis’ Cha Cha had a totally unfair critique. It wasn’t enough of a Cha Cha? That’s not their fault! And it makes them look like they did something wrong, even thought it was the choreographer’s fault.

Comment by GTS – July 2, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, Jenna and Tucker.

Comment by GTS – July 2, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the critique should have had anything to do with how much is was or wasn’t a Cha Cha. The only reason he picked on the choreography is because the choreographer was a former contestant.. He should have focused on their execution. The fact was that Tucker was completely drowned out by Jenna in that dance. His lines were kind of a mess as was his foot work. That isn’t on the choreography, that is on Tucker and his ballroom skills.

Comment by Sara – July 2, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But most of that was Dmitri’s fault, not Tucker’s – he wasn’t given a single coherent cha cha sequence to show what he could do. Mostly, he got short featured moves and poses around a great deal of showcasing his partner. Tucker did *really* well for 5.5 hours in a new genre withc such structure. Compare that to BluPrint – where all he had to do was ham it up.

Comment by Temperence – July 3, 2013 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree. The fact that his moves weren’t that complicated means he should have done much better. Blaming the choreographers isn’t fair. These dancers are skilled enough (or should be) to make the most of “bad” choreography. And the judges should be judging the dancers and not the choreographers.

Comment by Sara – July 3, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree, they shouldn’t be criticizing the choreographers. That’s not the point of the show.

Comment by Ray – July 3, 2013 05:08 PM PDT
        • Temperance, I must agree about the lack of choreographing the “cha cha.” In fact, heaven forbid, I find myself agreeing with Nigel. The cha cha is a dance I know. I learned it — when I was young and I’ve loved doing it for years. Frankly, I didn’t see ANY cha cha sequence in it — for either partner.

It’s just that Jenna knows how to make the best of her assets (little of which has to do with actual dancing), and cameras will follow her as she does so. I feel kind of sorry for Tucker, because I think the kid CAN dance, but has yet to be able to show it.

Comment by My Alter Ego – July 3, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This post is not directed at any of the dancers but at the program itself… It’s over, just hip hop
      and black inspired crap… Rest assured I will not be watching another single episode… 1 min 45 sec of dance and 5 minutes of commercials… Nigel you and Mary find yourself another gig you are history…. say goodbye

Comment by Ted Strickland – July 24, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new format is HORRIBLE! Cutting the dancers at the start and then making us sit through their packaged rehearsal pieces, their performances and the critiques? That was weird, awkward, depressing. It sucked all the joy out of the show. I have been a long-time fan and this verges on ruining the show for me. The producers MUST rethink this terrible decision and go back to doing the elimination at the end. Awful, awful, awful.

Comment by PFitzDC – July 2, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with everything you said. I HATED the way they did the eliminations. And this is one thing I thought I would never say, but after being a faithful viewer since season one this change to the format may be the one that stops me from watching. You are totally correct when you say it sucked all the joy out of the show. And not only was it unfair and cruel to Carlos and Brittany and all the others that were told they were in the bottom, but think about what the rest of the dancers must have been thinking about before their routines.

Comment by elr – July 2, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as I hated the show kicking off on such a downer note (after finally getting a good routine from Tyce!), the only upsides to it were 1) the elimination was truly based on last week’s votes, the DFYL and the choreographer’s feedback, and 2) the judges actually had some time to say some really nice things to the eliminated dancers instead of unceremoniously booting them off in the last 2 minutes of the show, or pretending they don’t know if the person’s in the bottom 3 during their performance critique and poorly tapdancing around it. I can’t say they’re worth starting the show off on such a sad note or putting undue stress on the dancers.

Comment by big cheddar – July 2, 2013 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The need to cut at the end. That’s the way they did it on the other SYTYCD shows (UK and AU) and it worked better.

Comment by Temperence – July 3, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was a vocal opponent on these message boards of the OLD format, I must agree this wasn’t better unfortunately. The old format was also rife with problems – especially the obvious scripting to justify the eventual ouster of endangered contestants. A good compromise would be to identify those in danger at top of broadcast, but saving the solos and sad elimination for the end. That would add more of a “fighting” for your life angle and drama throughout the broadcast without pretending that the judges/producers are not already fully aware of who is “in danger”.

Comment by Beanergirl – July 3, 2013 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right – that’s the best compromise. I hope the producers see the backlash to last night’s elimination format and perhaps come up with this plan, too.

i must add that i’m disappointed that Carlos was knocked off over Jade… the judges seem to be fighting more strongly for his life than he is, dance-wise. how many more chances are they going to give him before they finally accept that he’s not at the level they need and their viewers expect? ugh.

Comment by abbyjo – July 3, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. What a weird, dumb decision to make. Nigel tweeted something about responding to comments, though, so maybe they’ll go back to the old way (or at least change something) next week.

Comment by daisyj – July 3, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This new format stinks. Totally not fair to the partner that has to dance with the eliminated one. I like the way they did it last season much better. This way is just not fair to either dancer.

Comment by lorrie – July 3, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By eliminating at the beginning what is that doing to the pairs?Are the dancers notified beforehand?How do practices work?

Comment by Shaun – July 3, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree. I hate this new format. What the heck was wrong with doing the elims at the end of the show. I sure hope Nigel views all the media disgust with his decision and corrects the decision before next week

Comment by renee – July 3, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree. someone said Nigel was only doing “what the fans wanted”????? What fans? Everyone I talked to the last two days was absolutely NOT happy with the new format. The very idea of making the two eliminated dancers have to go backstage, cry, get dressed for their routine and then come out and try to support their partner with a good effort while dying inside is just rubbish. The kids should all have the chance to dance their hearts out while still thinking they are in the running even if they had a “bad” week the week before. Who knows maybe with a good performance they can change the judges minds. Btu at any ate the bad news MUST be held till the end of the show……What are they going to do at the finale….announce the winner at the beginning too??? that makes just about as much sense as this new idiotic format. Please…anyone who can twitter Nigel (I’m not on twitter) tell him we want to go back to last year’s format.

Comment by renee – July 4, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, the cutting in the beginning was just weird.

And Carlos was one of my favorite, he reminded me of someone I know, just full of fun and dance. There were so many worse dancers than him.

Comment by Midori – July 2, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carlos was one of my favs too!!!!!! Mary’s like “Oh we’re so sad you’re leaving, it’s America’s loss!!!” I’m just like, “Well if you’re so sad about it then you didn’t have to cut him!!!!!” They only eliminated Carlos because they just hate to see an animator (Jade) go. I hate it when they keep some dancers who aren’t very good in other styles just because they enjoy watching them in their own styles. They really need to rethink this “format”.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 2, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure Mary voted to eliminate Carlos. I had the feeling it was all on Nigel. And that it was decided before the show–there was no time between “dance for your lives” and Nigel announcing who was going home. So when did they confer? Kudos to Cristina for telling Carlos “America got it wrong.” I agree.

Comment by margi – July 3, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And now we won’t get to hear Cat pronounce his name “Car-las” anymore :-(

Comment by Curly Girly – July 3, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha, ‘Car-las’, even he giggled when she said it. Watch Aaron when Cat says ‘Jasmine Heyyy-ch’-pretty funny too.

Glad Nigel listened and elims will be at the end of the show. Poor Carlos and Brittany-I bet their partners are in the bottom because fans didn’t want to touch the negativity with a ten foot pole..

Comment by Sheilalala – July 5, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carlos’ problem wasn’t his dancing skills, it was his personality (or more specifically how his personality came across) and yes it wasn’t fair and he deserved better, but that’s how these voting shows work.

Comment by Eli – July 3, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new format is a joke. The judges decisions on who to send home was a joke. Their critiques were a joke. (Except for Christina who actually understands how to judge.) And poor Cat looked so stressed. I’ve never in all the seasons seen her look stressed or frustrated and she did tonight. I spent the whole show irritated, upset, and disappointed.

Comment by Rissa – July 2, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Luv Cat Deeley, she is my homegurl. She did seem stressed tonight. :-(. Nigel is just gross and he’s totes mean 2 Nico. Vote 4 Nico everyone!!!

Comment by Teen for Nico – July 3, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the Tango was the most overhyped. It was so ridiculously awkward. The choreography was not great and the dancers had awkward transitions. Jasmine didn’t do as well either. I didnt see the “passion” the judges were talking about from her. There weren’t really nag standouts tonight. I felt like I just watched the same sexual dance over and and over just in a different style. It got boring fast.

Comment by Ebbgal – July 2, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Usually I love to watch a tango, but Jasmine’s and Alan’s left me cold. I don’t know if this is totally because of the dancers or the black cloud I was in after the eliminations. And i agree with you about seeing the same sexual dance over and over.

Comment by elr – July 2, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I stoppe watching the Tango half way through. Her posture was horrible. I felt no chemistry. I was seriously questioningyslef though when the judges were praising it. Sure there might have been a lot if lifts but what about te r eat of te dance. Not good.

Comment by amandasusan – July 3, 2013 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA. It was mostly about the lifts and I generally prefer dances where the whole stage is in play.

Comment by MC – July 3, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With you on the tango. It wasn’t doing it for me either. And the scarf thing was way too Crispin Glover for me to take it seriously.

Comment by daisyj – July 3, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Travis. No Sonja. No Mia. No outstanding choreographies. But I will be the lone voice for Jasmine and Alan’s Tango. I loved it.

Comment by margi – July 3, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is so obvious that Nigel wants cocky Fik-Shun to win that he might as well bestow the crown on him and let the kid strut around for the rest of the season. FOX needs to restore SYTYCD’s results show – watching everything packed into two hours one night a week has ruined SYTYCD. And Nigel needs to quit picking inept dancers like BluPrint and Jade and then excusing their ineptness – remember when this show picked dancers with personality that could also dance in a variety of styles?

Comment by marcus – July 2, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! Those were the good old days…

Comment by elr – July 2, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember when the show used to feature women who were over 21 and of legal drinking age? Now pervy Nigel just wants barely legal girls who are not even old enough to drink alcohol. Not one girl is over 20! Disgusting. Nigel truly sickens me. Plus the new results format is depressing and poorly edited. Sad to see this show go downhill.

Comment by SYTYCD season 13 – July 2, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nigel is a dirty old man. It’s just shameful that talented, highly trained aged 21 and over women dancers with experience are no longer valued or chosen for this show. I agree with all the comments about how the new change in results SUCK. We can only hope that Nigel will be fired from SYTYCD like he was from American Idol.

Comment by Nigel Is Pervy – July 2, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG! Nico is just so kewt I could die! Vote for Nico, peeps!

Comment by Teen for Nico – July 3, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you seen the show’s ratings? They are so bad be happy that Fox hasn’t replaced the dancing with House and Bones reruns.

Comment by Midori – July 3, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @marcus
      I agree 100% with what you said about Nigel always picking inept dancers!!! I felt the same way about Cyrus last season! I think that’s the very reason that Carlos went home instead of Jade. I also agree that the results should be on a different night than the performances. I always feel like everything is crammed in!

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 4, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely upset about the eliminations tonight. It almost seems like the judges already knew who they were eliminating because Nigel’s excuse was just pure lame. Seriously, Nigel don’t screw up this show like American idol. This is the worst decision. What’s the point of watching the rest of the show when you are upset about an eliminated contestant. It feels anticllimatic, You just can’t enjoy the show when you know the contestant dancing is already eliminated. Save it towards the end. I haven’t even watched the entire episode yet tonight and I’m too upset to really enjoy any of the performances. I hope the producers hear it loud and clear. The new format is just stupid.

Comment by Larry – July 2, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely agree that eliminating the dancers first is a disservice to the show and the competition. I hope the Twitter uproar is enough to get Uncle Nigel to reconsider. It just felt dirty (and not in a NappyTabs way) and conspiratorial. This just doesn’t jive (pun intended) with a competition show that genuinely attempts to focus on the joy of the work and the passion of the art.

Comment by Atlanta Theatre Matt (@ATLTheatreMatt) – July 2, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haley and Curtis got bad choreography…basically Curtis had nothing to do, so half the performance couldn’t add to the other half. Then again, maybe he didn’t give as much to it as he could have.

Comment by JW – July 2, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO, the new format is almost right. Keep the early announcement of the bottom 6, save 2 right away, and have the remaining 4 “dance for their lives” (DfL). However, at that point save the final decision on who goes home until the end of the show. The at-risk four could still really impress the judges during their partnered routines, and have hope that they can impress the judges enough to stay.
    After everyone danced, the judges would make the final decision factoring in both the DfL and the choreographed dances. Who knows what amazing things could happen if those four had both desperation and hope?

Comment by rwfblog – July 2, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is what I thought too. If they have to keep the performance and results in the same show (which I know that is the way they have to do it for now) I like your solution the best.

Comment by elr – July 2, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking! The dancers in danger would probably preform even better knowiing that it could be their last chance. But considering that format would actually make sense, it won’t happen.

Comment by Emma – July 3, 2013 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LIKE THIS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE THEY IMPLEMENT THIS NEXT EPISODE STAT. THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!!!!!
      SO FRUSTRATEDDDDDDDDDDDD IM IN ALL CAPS

Comment by PONG – July 3, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why start the show on such a low note? Ridiculous to make the poor eliminated dancers continue to dance . It all seemed so slam , bam, now you’re off. I far preferred the old format; a few clips of the individual ‘s best moments, a tear, and a sad goodbye. This left me cold.

Comment by T ross – July 2, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate, hate, HATE the new elimination format. What a horrible way to treat the dancers. First the poor bottom four have to perform for their lives immediately after getting the news (in past seasons didn’t they at least get a commercial break and have the performances spaced out?) and then those that got the boot still have to perform and sit through critiques that no longer matter?! What an idiotic decision by the producers.

Comment by Meredith – July 2, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I didn’t enjoy the Tango. I thought he was fabulous, but she clunked her way through it. It wasn’t fluid, which made me not like it. Tonight wasn’t very impressive to me, but I LOVED Mackenzie and Paul, and Amy and Fik-shun.

Comment by Babybop – July 2, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they started the show with such a dismal format. Left a pallor over the rest of the evening. Bad, Nigel. Just bad.

Comment by Pepper – July 2, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! FIRE Nigel Lythgoe. It’s time for a change.

Comment by Nigel Is Pervy – July 3, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not quite sure what is going on… Mariah is one of the best dancers in the show (and I don’t like krump, and don’t care about hip-hop).

Comment by Temperence – July 2, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So far, I think she has been the victim of so-so choreography & partner pairing. I agree that she is definitely one of the best!

Comment by Tara J. – July 3, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In all fairness, and everyone should know I’m a big fan of hers (Im the guy whose been screaming Krumpgirl at ever recap), her DFYL was not good at all this episode. Very uninspired and frankly boring, and we all know she can do so much better.

Comment by Eli – July 3, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And this time, dear Temperance, I’m going disagree — and strenuously. “To quote you “Mariah is one of the best dancers in the show.” Seriously?? To me, Mariah is the female equivalent of Cyrus. I don’t care what Mary or Nigel — or this week, Christina — said, her performance last week was just not good (and Carlos was the one in the bottom 3? — he’s a far superior dancer) and this week, it was completely about “emoting” which, to me, was never remotely believable. (I will give her some credit for trying, but she wasn’t good.)

While I don’t know how you define “best dancers” of the top 20 (including the two already cut), all that I see that Mariah has going for her is that she is blond and smiles a great deal. Her so called “dancing’ just makes me cross my arms, shake my head, and raise an angry eyebrow (so far, it’s only an eyebrow).

This is only the second year that I’ve “tuned” into SYTYCD (and during my first year, I couldn’t figure out why it was only the first 1st!), but I’m stunned by how good the bulk of the contestants are — absolutely stunned! Mariah doesn’t come close to being in that bulk. But time will tell.

Comment by My Alter Ego – July 3, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it energized and spirited to the end, keep us rooting for faves and keep us guessing. But the biggest downer for me was the same sexually amplified dance over and over. Can’t rerun this show with the aspiring young dancers in the house so they’ve limited the audience and I’m not feeling even remotely inspired by or engaged in the huge range of dance styles this show used to lift us up with. So disappointed.

Comment by toadily – July 2, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooring episode. There were no remarkable performances. I can’t tell if it is the dancers’ fault or if the show just really needs new choreographers. Seems like the same moves every week.

Comment by Drew – July 2, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please PLEASE Clem up this format! Please please Nigel put the cut back to the end!

Comment by Scott MacKay – July 2, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Blu-Print should be in the bottom, but I doubt he will be. He’s the season 10 version of Cyrus. He should’ve been out towards the beginning but people keep saving him just because his style is different. People just aren’t gonna let him go.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 2, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does Nigel want to kill this show on purpose? Considering there’s been a slow decline in ratings, this format makes no sense at all. It’s so stupid to expect dancers who might still be reeling from being cut to then partner another dancer who might still be in and perform 100%. I just can’ believe the show’s producers thought this was a good idea on any level. Dumb.

Now for the show, I’ll say this again, unless the judges learn how to properly critique BOLLYWOOD, I think it should be cut. It’s obvious that every time it comes up, the judges don’t seem to know what to critique about it so they just talk about how fun it is, how hard it is, bla bla bla, but nothing on the actual style. I kinda think this is one of the things that makes the dance a voting downer for whoever gets it.

Still loving both Jasmines, yay! Rooting for them so hard this season.

Comment by Bryan – July 3, 2013 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ballroom dancers always go early on in the competition. Why, I don’t know, but they do. I think Niko and Alexis were once again not the best. Hopefully whoever votes will see the value in Alan. I thought they should have saved Brittany over Mariah.

Comment by MK – July 3, 2013 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again they’re going to crap all over the male contemporary dancers for minor infractions while the “untrained” dancers gets their butts kissed. Jade deserved to go tonight and his performance tonight only underlined that point. They need to give up these boring “dance for your life” moments, which have nothing to do with who goes home, and use these partner dances in their decision-making. And, I’m over Fik-Shun. They’re going to keep giving him dances where he isn’t required to dance older than a 12-year-old, and he’s going to Jackson 5 himself into the finale. In fact, the best comment Mr Slezak made was commenting on Aaron’s maturity. He’s the only man in a competition full of boys.

Comment by KevyB – July 3, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Slezak, can you find out why no one mentioned the fact that Alan and Jasmine’s dance from last week was not shown in many TV markets?

Comment by CB2 – July 3, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not sure who is more forgettable – Nico or Tucker? It’s pretty close. I was like “who is Tucker?” and then promptly forgot him again until i read your recap.

Comment by Patty (@phouse1964) – July 3, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think people only vote for Nico cuz he’s cute.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 4, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saving Mariah over Brittney was ridiculous.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – July 3, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think that Jade and Mariah should have gone home based on their solos. I really liked the solo Carlos did.

Comment by sarah – July 3, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HATED finding out who was out at the beginning of the show. The downer that comes with elimination just permeated the rest of the show. I like the idea mentioned several times above about having the bottom six identified at the top, then two saved immediately, with the remaining four dancing for their lives at the end of the show. I do think it makes a difference in how the dancers in jeopardy perform. And I may be in the minority here–but I like when there are many genres represented in the top twenty. IMHO, it is more relevant to dance as it is today. I just hate when the voting doesn’t reflect the caliber of the performances given. I love this show, and was thrilled it wasn’t cancelled this last season–but starting with such a downer and then reliving the downer during critiques doesn’t help bring new viewers on board. ): PS I love Christina Applegate as a judge!!!

Comment by reen – July 3, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we talk about the Choreographers? At this point I am sure we are all able to pick out the styles of each choreographer. They are becoming (in many cases) old and stale. The routines are becoming repeats of previous seasons. (This was mentioned with Stacy Tookie and her “follow up” routine)
    The few choreographers who are great at what they do no longer appear very often. One can only assume it is due to cost. When I saw the group routine last night I was honestly surprised because it looked so much like a Wade Robson routine that I couldn’t believe it was Tyce Diorio. I was actually saying “I am surprised, given everything in Wade Robson’s life right now, that they asked him to do something for the show.” Then when they said it was Tyce, I let out an astonished “Wow”

Comment by S. – July 3, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show tries to change to stay current in a fast moving world. As part of that change, there are two significant problems this year that are already apparent. Nigel alluded to one of the problems when they chose the Top 20, that they were choosing a few of what could be called dancing idiot savants. These few were tremendous in one dance style but unprepared and unschooled in any of the others, or even in basic dancing. It means certain dancers are going to have to be spoon fed to even get through a basic routine. That was clear last night. The show suffers perceptibly as a result until all those limited dancers are gone. It was a big risk and it isn’t working well.

The other problem is the sameness of what was going on in many of the dances. Many were glorifed burlesque. Grabbing a chick’s fanny can be left out of the routine and the routine can be just as appealing/interesting. Twerkin’ doesn’t have to be the central dance move in all dances. Choreographers try to be cutting edge. Last night bordered on salacious in the efforts to out do each other. It was more exhibitionism than dancing. (Nigel should consider changing the name of his pet project from dizzy feet to dizzy a**.) I know it is the predominant cultural form now, but still. I would suggest that as AI lost its core vision and appeal, so is the same thing happening to SYTYCD.

Comment by donb – July 3, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I thought the same thing last year when they had the pole dancing routine.
      You look back at previous seasons and you see amazing things like the crash test dummy routine, the flight of the butterflies, mia michael’s routines in the season with Joshua, Katy and tWitch (the bed, hometown glory, the soldier going to war routine)
      All of them were amazing and different and opened people’s eyes to really neat things. Lately it looks like Nigel is figuring out a way to test for a new show in Vegas or something of the sort.

Comment by S. – July 3, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Jasmine H the one that dated Cyrus?

Comment by Jaime – July 3, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. At first it made me mad that they kept obsessing over her just because she dated Cyrus. Who cares???? She’s actually an amazing dancer and one of my favorites.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 3, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just saw nigel tweeted that they may address the concern over the elimination format next week. here’s hoping he comes through.

Comment by Jaime – July 3, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They totally needed to rethink the new “format”. What on earth made them think that that was a good idea???? If they eliminated dancers at the end of the show, Jade would’ve gone home instead of Carlos. I wish they’d go back to how they used to have it, when Tuesday was the performance night, and Wednesday was results. It’s too hard waiting a week to find out the results.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 3, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How great did Cat look last night? Wowzers!!!

Comment by Tom – July 3, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked last night’s format better than last seasons. But, the obvious solution to making the show the best it can be is to go back to having the results show on another night.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – July 3, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would work better if they say who the bottom six are and instead of dancing for their lives they use that night’s performance to decide who stays and who goes at the end of the show.

Comment by So Over It – July 3, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • <>

Slezak–You are a consummate recapper! How do you do it night after night?! As a professional writer myself, I bow down in admiration….

Comment by PFitzDC – July 3, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Above comment was in reference to: “…and when it came time for Amy to drop that booty and get her freak on, her inner contemporary swan went out the stage door for a nip of gin and a cigarette just to cope with the nastiness of it all. Girlfriend may be overhyped but that doesn’t mean she’s not living up to it.”

Cut and paste didn’t work!

Comment by PFitzDC – July 3, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, you are missing the boat on Mariah. Wake up.

Comment by canadian ninja – July 4, 2013 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have a problem with the sexy dances as I am not a prude and find them fun but I think there was so many of them last night it got repetitive. However the dancing was wonderful so I enjoyed most of it. I do hope that Blueprint does not do a Cyrus but, since he does not have Cyrus’s smile or personality maybe that won’t happen. I like Jade and I felt last week he did his routine much better than this weeks and I hope he makes it through cause I really think he can get better. Carlos is great but there are some awesome male dancers in the top 20 that I felt are better, I do think Blueprint should be on the bottom as he did terrible and showed no joy in his dancing, at least Cyrus would have shown joy. My favorite couple is Aaron and Jasmine and so far they can do no wrong. He was my favorite from Vegas and could not believe he did not make the cut at first and was overjoyed when he did get back in and I still love him. I didn’t have a favorite girl until Jasmine got paired with him and I saw how awesome she is with him.
    I love the idea of letting the bottom 6 know at the beginning then letting their performance and dancing for their lives help make the decision who will go at the end, and quit deciding before the show.

Comment by Lana – July 4, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really not liking the new format – it was really rubbish! Also really not liking Jasmine who only got a place as she’s dated Cyrus. Not too keen on her partner either – both come off a little clumsy and honestly I don’t even know his name. Loved the tango, I thought they were great and loved Mackenzie and her partner too. Really rooting for Alexis but haven’t seen her dance well at all. The Bollywood routine was messy and awful, disappointing. I wasn’t a fan of Amy but I must admit – she brings it! Possibly have a new favourite in Hayley (Can someone eliminate that cocky Fik-shun please?!)

Comment by Sophia – July 4, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel tweeted that he’s “taking our advice” where they reveal the bottom 6 in the beginning, save 2 right away, and eliminate the dancers at the end of the show.

Comment by E Mockingjay – July 4, 2013 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael – What are the chances you will do a video recap a la “Idology”? Maybe So You Think You Can Recap? :) Love hearing your thoughts!!!!

Comment by Carrie – July 5, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Carrie, I second this idea. In fact, I think that I’ve suggested earlier. I’d love to see a show like this with Michael backed up with Eliana Girard or Alex Wong (or both!!!) Wouldn’t that be out of this world?

Comment by My Alter Ego – July 7, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for changing the elimination till the end. At least I will watch it and hope the ones I like get to stay, and enjoy watching the routines. Instead of being upset at the beginning and upset whole watching the faces of the poor souls that were just eliminated and just changing the channel.

Comment by Tammy Green – July 5, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nothing will save this show… it’s over on both sides… along with A.I.

Comment by Ted Strickland – July 24, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post